Feast Your Eye-Borgs: Deus Ex – Mankind Divided Trailer

The reveal trailer for the new Deus Ex game [official site] shows the full meaning of that subtitle – almost every man in the video ends up divided right down the middle by a stonking great stabby cybernetic implant. Packed with ultraviolence, it’s the sort of trailer that tells me absolutely nothing about how I’ll actually play the game but I can’t deny that it’s done the trick. I’m even more excited than I was earlier today when I explained to Graham why Deus Ex makes my plastanium heart skip a beat.

It’s the haves against the have-nots – that’s the have-augmented-bits against the have-not-got-augmented-bits – and it looks spectacular.

There are some beautiful shots hidden between the splatters and the skewerings. Icarus-Jensen at the top there is one example but I particularly like this shot.

Official detail! (you can tell they’re official because the name of the game is CAPITALISED)

DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED takes place in 2029, two years after the events of HUMAN REVOLUTION and the infamous ‘Aug Incident’ in Panchaea that resulted in the death of millions at the hands of those who had installed augmentations. This event has created a huge divide between those who have augmentations, and those who do not. Amongst this emotional turmoil are various factions looking to manipulate the public by twisting public opinion of augmentation to further their own agenda and hide the truth of what really happened.

As the social and political chaos reaches boiling point, super-augmented anti-terrorist agent Adam Jensen re-enters the fray. Empowered by brand new augmentations that bolster his formidable, strategic arsenal, Jensen will visit multiple new locations to uncover the truths that are hidden by a cloak of new conspiracies. With more choice at the player’s disposal than ever before, DEUS EX: MANKIND DIVIDED is the ultimate DEUS EX experience.

It’s coming soon, says the cybermind of Square Enix. We’re looking forward to seeing what it’s made of.

1. piedpiper says:

I never hyped for this.

• Halk says:

This!

I remember how the Human Revolution trailer successfully managed to hype me back then. And look at what a disappointment the game turned out to be. Back then the trailer did not even have that much to do with the actual game. I won’t fall for this trick a second time.

• Faren22 says:

I’d call Human Revolution a lot of things, but “disappointing” wouldn’t be one of them.

2. Creeping Death says:

I dont think I realized how much I wanted another Deus Ex until I saw this trailer. Time to reinstall Human Revolution I guess.

• rabbit says:

But … the ending??? The ending??? What the fuck did they do that for?

People give KOTOR2 such a bad rep for its ending. DXHR’s third act to me stood out in a far, far less sympathetic light than that.

3. WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I wrote extensively about my problems with Human Revolution relative to the original in the comments section of the other article, but on a positive note I will say this: I am glad that Mary DeMarle is returning as narrative lead. I felt that her and her team did a wonderful job on the writing of DXHR, even despite the massive scars that cutting a whole city hub obviously left on the game. I couldn’t bear the kind of writes who wrote Th4f (“cock rings”) to butcher Deus Ex.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

That should, of course, say “writers”. I sure love looking illiterate in a post complaining about sub-standard writers! :D

4. melnificent says:

With all that death and destruction from the hands of an augment surely separating them out is for everyones safety. They could kill 30-40 guys without breaking a sweat.

5. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Silly Adam*. Cyborgs cannot swim. Have you not seen ghost in the shell? Also that other cyborg seems to be hiding his cyborg face with two robotic arms, the big silly.

Looks very pretty, as prerendered stuff tends to. Seems Adam* has learned some new tricks. That is totally a boss fight though between Adam* and the big chap with the fist, which causes a bit of worry. Maybe they’ll have learned from the missing link and that?

*Jenson

• Rich says:

Ghost in the Shell comes from a time when you couldn’t expect a phone to survive being dropped down the toilet, so you could hardly expect a cyborg to be able to swim. Today, we have phones that can get dropped into a swimming pool with no ill effects. So, who knows what the future will hold?!

• Buuurr says:

Yeah! I’m with you! Phones to cyborgs? A stretch? NAH! YAH!

• Jaunty says:

Your post seems sarcastic, and I disagree with what you’re trying to imply. Sci-fi is (and has always been) heavily influenced by the world that surrounds its imaginer. Look at the sci-fi of the 60’s and 70’s: the machinery and computers were still large for the most part, and their interfaces were comprised largely of blinking buttons. The reality of the world that surrounded the creators of GitS was one where the internet was just starting to be understood for the power it had, and computers were still a bit cumbersome: although miniaturization was a visible goal, laptops were still heavy, there was a solidity and heft to the technology of the 90’s.

Now look at the world that surrounds the creators of this new iteration of Deus Ex. Plastics and carbon fiber feature heavily into the design of our everyday products. Robotic prosthetics are an emergent reality and imagining a future where we have the luxury of applying popular commercial design principles—principles that brought us laptops that can be slipped into envelopes—to “augmentations” as well frankly isn’t that much work for our imagination or suspension of disbelief.

So, in my mind, to imply that it’s unreasonable that our perception of cyborgs and sci-fi be influenced by current day cellphones and whatever other commonplace technology filling our lives just doesn’t make any sense at all.

• AngoraFish says:

Human beings are 55-65% water, so any cybernetic implants will inherently need to have some degree of waterproofing and/or operate fine when fully immersed. We already have many basic cybernetic implants that happily coexist with swimming, such as pacemakers and, to a lesser extent, cochlear implants.

• Solidstate89 says:

In Ghost in the Shell it has to do with the weight, nothing to do with whether they can survive getting weight. Full prosthetic cyborgs can weigh in excess of 5-6 hundred lbs in that universe.

• Bereil says:

Yeah, you’d think with all those augments he’d just sink to the bottom, eh?

On another darker note, I found the mention of camps, and the augmented rebel/terrorist guy’s Russian/Slavic accent really eerie. Particularly after hearing about the (propaganda?) of concentration camps being built in Ukraine: link to ibnlive.in.com

duns4t says:

Your question mark after “propaganda” implies there is some doubt whether that is propaganda. The entire article’s point is that it IS Russian propaganda (of the highest order!), like nearly all of the Russian media’s reporting on Ukraine.

• Razumen says:

I’m sure there’s an augment for that whole, not drowning thing.

6. akstro says:

The best thing about the trailer is definetly the music with similar tone to DXHR. Gets me excited every time I watch the trailers. Time to install Director;s cut it is then.

Bluerps says:

I like the trailer in general, but I agree that the music is great! I loved Human Revolution and the music was a significant part of the reason for that. I still listen to the OST occasionally.

• ninnisinni says:

Yeah, agree wholeheartedly! And according to the trailer credits, DXHR composer Michael McCann is back, so… HYPE!

• Arasaka says:

Apparently I should have read this article first! I am really pleased the the composer for HR is back as I loved the soundtrack. Really looking forward to playing as Jensen again too. I didn’t feel a sense of closure after rescuing Megan Reed – she had some serious explaining to do as far as I was concerned.

7. 4026 says:

SO MUCH PAIN

jk this looks awesome.

8. Hauskamies says:

I never asked for this. Actually I did.

9. commentingaccount says:

I don’t need it. I don’t need it. I don’t need it.

I NEEEEEEEEEEEED IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!

10. Crafter says:

I don’t have high hopes for this, judging from the trailer, the story looks even more generic than HR’s one.
    It is just a trailer though, they might have amplified the shitty tropes for marketing reasons.
    Some of the gameplay issues of the first opus were relatively easy to fix : for example don’t reward one path more than another, reward exploration. If I remember well the first Deus Ex did that just fine.

• NotGodot says:

What’s been discussed about the plot makes it sound better, if only because they’re referencing the original a lot and doubling down on the conspiracy angle.

• Crafter says:

Conspiracy was also a main point of HR plot. It was just a very thinly veiled and unoriginal one.

11. Churba says:

Wait, so that guy kneeled and kissed that dude’s augmented pinky, so does that mean it’s Robopope?

12. Rolento says:

As someone who enjoyed DE HR, i am really looking forward to this. Heck, I still listen to the OST to the game:)

13. Ostymandias says:

i hope it is partially set in Germany this time:
    “my vision is augenmented”

• NotGodot says:

Prague is definitely a hub, and some have suggested that Paris might turn up.

• swiftshlock says:

Well played! Thanks for today’s first chuckle.

14. Hunchback says:

I really really loved the setting/world of the latest Deus Ex, but something in the gameplay really displeased me. I tried it twice, and never got far, even tho i wanted to know what’s going on and all that…

Any tips of what to do to enjoy this better?

P.S. I am a big singleplayer FPS fan, i have enjoyed HL, Bioshock, System Shock, Metro, Crysis 1… immensely, but i tend to dislike stealth gameplay in FPS. MIght that be it?

• Eleven says:

Play entirely non-lethal, guns are for losers.

It’s a tough self-imposed challenge in itself, but it also forces you to really use the neat game mechanics and discover all of the clever level design, which I honestly feel improves the game. The Director’s Cut DLC even made a few small additions just to give more non-lethal options.

It also creates a heart-breaking moment late in the game where, being vague to avoid spoilers, you’re faced with a really difficult combat situation to save a very sympathetic character, and it’s almost impossible while remaining non-lethal. Whether the game designers intended it or not I don’t know, but you’re forced to choose between letting someone you trust die, or slaughtering all of your opponents. It would be a no-brainer in a cheesy game like GTA, but after you’ve put so much effort into game playing as a moral human being rather than a murderous cyborg, it’s honestly difficult to take the easy way out and pull out a gun.

I played the game through for a second time just to revisit that moment, but this time with a plan and full preparations, and found a way to cut the Gordian Knot. Just that once, everybody lived, and it felt so damn cool :)

• Xocrates says:

Non-lethal is pretty much mandates stealth, which the OP says he doesn’t enjoy and is the likely reason he didn’t get far. So it’s that really what you’re suggesting? :P

Anyway, in theory one could play all guns blazing, and focus largely in combat augs. Problem being that it would cut out many of the more interesting solutions and bits.

@Hunchback: Can we get some details on where on the game you stopped? It might be easier to track down whether there’s an underlying cause that may be played around or just whether it’s not a game for you.

• Eleven says:

Yeah, I was a little too quick to shoe-horn in my opinion without reading the comment first :D

• Hunchback says:

It’s been a while, so i can’t be 100% sure where i stopped, and why exactly. I have some vague memory that it was because i was not sure what dialogue options ACTUALLY did and ended up saying things that i really didn’t want to say. Does that make sense? Was it in this game? I am no longer sure o.O

• Xocrates says:

Hmm… mayhaps. DX:HR uses a dialogue system where only one word shows up unless you hover over the option to see the full line. I can see it as a possibility that you missed that and screwed up one of the dialogue confrontations badly (maybe trying to enter the police station?)

I which case, I don’t think there’s much to it other than actually paying attention to the dialogue options. Though there is one augment that makes dialog confrontations easier and even allows further dialog options, so you may look into that.

• Hunchback says:

Oh… so you can actually see what you’ll say? I might have missed that, yes…
            Now i am all tempted to try all this again, there’s way too few cyber-punk games and movies nowadays.

What’s with that anyway? Didn’t people enjoy Blade Runner?

• DrollRemark says:

Non-lethal is so much easier than full combat mode in HR. More experience means your character gets stronger quickly, and the stealth mechanics are so simple (obvious vents, poor AI) make it a doddle to get around.

• 0over0 says:

I had a lot of trouble with that rescue…until I went nonlethal, then it was much easier, oddly enough. Killing took more time than just knocking them out–provided you had the write augs and equipment (and, yeah, I had to replay the whole game back to that point–more value for the money, right?). This is from memory, though, so if someone wants to say it’s totally impossible to do it nonlethally, I won’t argue, but I’m pretty sure that path in that instance was actually easier.

• muppetts says:

You got me curious now, is there spoilers on here you can cover the text with? hmm

Just want to know which fight you mean now, I mean as far as I know it is not possible to be 100% non lethal as you have to kill in the boss fights (or do you??)

I always assumed you had to kill the boss’s.

• Zekiel says:

They’re referring to SPOILER optionally rescuing Malik END SPOILER which I can’t imagine how you’d do non-lethally.

Actually I started a non-lethal playthrough and started killing people at the (earlier) point where the bad guys slaughter a whole hotel to get to you, which felt very appropriate.

And no, you can’t avoid killing the bosses, but the game itself recognises this – there’s a Steam achievement for not killing anyone in the game “(apart from the bosses)”. Yuk.

• CraftyBanana says:

Much as I loved Human Revolution (and I loved it a lot), the one thing that irked me a bit was the game strongly pushing you towards playing as a stealthy, non-lethal hacker (more xp, more story stuff, levels clearly designed around it, etc). Meanwhile, in the original Deus Ex, my JC Denton was a super fast, bullet proof, self healing, sword wielding death-bot, and the game never penalised me for that (some characters did, but I’m fine with that).

• protorp says:

It may be controversial, but I got much more on my 2nd playthrough (having bailed about half way through on my first) by using CheatEngine to hack myself out half a dozen or so praxis points at the very beginning of the game. I have limited game time these days, and I wanted to both speed up progression in being able to explore as much of the world (physically and through hacked emails) and to feel like I had more tangibly transhuman powers from the off. I seem to remember that some of the things I then boosted first were the jump and run speed abilities, with the the added effect of making running and gunning feel more like Crysis 1.

• Crafter says:

You don’t have to enjoy it, maybe it is just not for you.
      IMO, HR is deeply flawed (trope-fest story, gameplay that heavily favors one approach whereas it should encourage you to be free and creative, ..). You might want to check out the first Deus Ex if you don’t mind dated graphics.
      I think it is still by far the best opus.

• simontifik says:

I gave up on Human Revolution about half-way through my first playthrough, I just wasn’t feeling it. I’ve come back to it recently and am enjoying it way more playing on the hardest difficulty this time. It’s mostly because on ‘Give me Deus Ex’ the yellow highlight boxes around objects you can interact with are switched off. It’s strange but without those I’m having more fun as I move through the levels more efficiently and play to the objectives rather than opening every drawer and door and knocking out every enemy.

15. Xzi says:

Throwing my money at the screen as hard as I can but nothing is happening.

• skyturnedred says:

I’m currently collecting my coins so I can go buy a new screen.

16. noiseferatu says:

Thematically this seems to be even more of a mess than Deus Ex: HR. The allegory of augmented transhumanist folk as a discriminated group of people just doesn’t work. DXHR posited augs as provided by big companies, an inherently capitalist venture, with augs being expensive goods for the rich and the privileged. Am I supposed to feel sympathy for these guys now? Is this an underdog story for big tech company capitalism?

And what about what looks to be a division of augmented people to Good Augs and Evil Bad Terrorist Augs who look all scrappy with probably illicit black market augs instead of the Big Corporation approved ones? Getting kinda scary undertones from that.

Okay the last one’s already kinda stretching it with the material available from the trailer. Game looks cool though and I wanna play it.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I agree. DX1 was about conspiracies/politics, DX2 was about the concept of the ideological hegemon, and DX3 was about Transhumanism. It was my understanding that each game was looking primarily to “deal” with a different aspect of the cyberpunk canon. Now it seems that DX4 is just a continuation of DX3. Is each future DX going to be a transhumanist rehash of Human Revolution? I certainly hope not, it makes the games too dry, retreading hackneyed ground.

• noiseferatu says:

I don’t even consider DX1 and DX2 in the same ‘canon’ as such as DXHR as the latter is thematically much more ambitious. DX1 and by proxy DX2 mainly just threw conspiracy theories at the screen and looked what sticked. DXHR does mostly away with this (thankfully) and attempts to be thematically coherent by tackling transhumanism. It was a bold and interesting attempt! The end results just weren’t very good and the game thinks it talks a lot more about transhumanism than it does.

I don’t mind at all that DX4 continues with transhumanism, in fact it should if it attempts to create a new coherent canon of ‘Deus Ex prequels’ or whatever. It’s just that it seems that it’s once again a mess with the writers not knowing what they actually want to say.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Maybe all DX1 did was throw conspiracies at the screen, but they did stick. I found the DX1 plot much more gripping than DXHR’s.

• Derman says:

I got the impression the game is going to deal with terrorism and violence as a way to enforce political views. The augmented group is blowing up innocent people in buses while the police is performing an augment-holocaust. It will most likely have something to do with transhumanism too, but I find the message rather clear in the trailer. This is all just quick speculation though, we’ll see when they release official info.

• Muzman says:

I thought it was more: DX1 was about theories of history, DX2 was about transhumanism/the post-human, DXPreq1 was about ..errr cool cyberpunk stuff like the other two

• piedpiper says:

You kinda just touched the thing which I always felt but never thought about too much. How can augmented be opressed aтв discriminated if they are obviously on the top of social hierarchy. This story does not make up. They can be feared and hated – just like rich money bags all over the world. But opressed? Spear me.

• BrickedKeyboard says:

I agree. How do the cops oppress people who have superstrength and built in weapon implants? If Augments are dangerous, why isn’t there a safe, government approved form of cybernetic limb replacement that has less than human strength? (the government approved limbs would be lighter, and only able to develop enough force to do basic tasks and press buttons, etc)

I never really cared about the “limb riots” or any of the other stuff in Deus Ex. Just give me more grim dark levels with lots of places to go and stuff to do.

• Muzman says:

It’s reasonably easy to imagine a world where augments can be repressed, after some of them become a problem. The whole concept of implanting stuff is problematic and they do need quite a bit of care and maintenance (which was touched on in HR admittedly).
        But I agree, in game terms and general cyberpunk plots they try to have their cake and eat it too, with being all woe is me and super cool and super human at the same time. It’s a bit rich.

In order to bring the world back into line with the original I suspect that will be at least part of the story though: Government and other forces bringing augmentation to heel in a major way (public unrest giving them the perfect excuse perhaps), Leaving only simple stuff for the public and the really good stuff kept for the military (and probably rich corporations etc). Ain’t no second amendment for augmentation.

• April March says:

I’ve said it before: the metaphor DXHR should’ve gone for is about consumerism and corporation control of consumer goods. But it will never do that because DXHR is a computer game, which is a corporate-controlled consumer good. No company would fund a criticism of itself. So we end up with this bizarre allegory which is essentially Linux terrorists fighting the pristine Macs.

• The_invalid says:

I don’t think you’re really giving the writers enough credit here.

I can understand how it could be viewed the way you’re portraying it. However at least from my perspective, the whole thing in DXHR of a lot of augmentation users being crippled, often literally, with debt and pharmaceutical drug dependency, spoke a lot more of an aspirational working class who believed that they could have a better life through technology, only to get screwed over repeatedly by large corporations working hand-in-hand with governments. I personally think that’s pretty firmly in line with a lot of current discourse on the poor and underprivileged.

• Emeraude says:

That’s one of the things that bugged me in HR: those people “victim” of cybernetic would have been, well management people, or more exactly people from that (those) modern class(es) that happen(s) to be technically on the working class as far as economical realities are concerned, yet symbolically on the capital owner’s side, and thinking itself/themselves as some form of remote part of it.

HR totally misses that by going for a an old labor vs capital frame that I find is totally unfit for its narrative. Oh, well just a tiny nitpick. There were more serious issues. Among things I actually liked.

• The_invalid says:

Not necessarily. Think about the amount of cases you hear about in crap tabloids, where you have people on very low incomes or unemployed, who have maxed out their credit cards on TVs and mobile phones and are derided and vilified for doing so. It’s really not that far a stretch to think that in DX’s version of events, that augmentation has the same kind of cultural currency that flatscreen TVs and smartphones do today.

You’ve also got the current middle-upper-class penchant for things like organic food, bohemian style, holistic medicine, anti-vaccination politics, etc. I mean I may be reading way too far into this, but for me it makes broad sense in DX’s wider fiction (although it’s never really explicit) that the underprivileged view augmentation and consumer tech in general as a means to a better quality of life, albeit at great financial cost; whilst the bourgeois classes view it at best as a necessity, and at worst as something aberrant and unpleasant.

• Emeraude says:

Doesn’t really work for me because if we reach the point where anyone can buy some cybernetic upgrades (along with the needed surgery) at the price of a entry-level car or some TV set, then we’re past peak mass market penetration and there’s no debate to be had, because at that point almost everyone can and does have some form of cybernetic upgrades and the anti-faction is mainly fringe and regarded at best with bemusement or some form of passive hostility for not conforming.

If you want an analogy of what I think the pro and anti cybernetic people would look like at the moment the debate rage on, see the (non)debate about the use of enhancing drugs for people in upper management level or creative types.

• Dave L. says:

It’s been a while since I’ve played, but I also remember there being mentions of working class people getting augments to keep their blue collar jobs. An augment can work harder and longer and faster than a non-augment.

Not to mention the people who received augmentations as life saving measures after sustaining serious injuries, or losing limbs and/or organs to cancer.

OR the prostitutes who were being forced to get augmentations by their pimps because customers would pay more to bang cyborg ladies.

I think the better comparison is probably Gun Control in the U.S. In the game, the world IS past the point of peak market saturation for augmentations (much like guns in the States), but they also have the potential to be extremely dangerous and there are people that want tight governmental regulation of augmentations, instead of relying on artificial limits on the supply of neuropozyne.

• Dave L. says:

Dammit, I effed up the quote tag and I can’t edit….*grumbles*

• Emeraude says:

That’s part of the thing I’m not seeing though. No interest in lower class people to get those augments, no real interest for management to offer them, not when, to quote a joke that’s been doing the rounds in human resources, “interns are cheaper than slave labor”.

Not to say the plot of HR is bad – it’s serviceable at the very least and plays safe to its tropes – but hearing from the developers you’d think they actually wanted to make produce something significant, and on that respect I think they failed.

• MrUnimport says:

I think the idea is that augs were heavily subsidized to the point where they were possible for many of the middle class to purchase as well, in the process signing themselves up for a long tail in the form of regular neuropozyne doses and maintenance fees and so on and so forth. Like a $0 up front smartphone contract intended to get the tech out there and as many people signed up to the idea as possible. Then suddenly, as augs become massively uncool following the ending of DXHR, aug companies like Sarif go out of business, maintenance becomes harder to get, neuropozyne becomes harder to get, the augmented retain their superhuman powers but are now chained to their metal arms and legs, unable to go back.

• PancakeWizard says:

You’ve kind of glossed over the fact that augments were actually given to less wealthy people, but it was the upkeep that became unaffordable driving people to black markets, crime etc. I’m assuming that’s been rectified since the first game, but now Augs are creating new problems vs. a police force that’s becoming outgunned.

That said, as much as the trailer was nice to watch it didn’t feel like a Deus Ex game. Didn’t seem there was a lot of room for stealth and hacking in amongst all that whiz-bang and merciless killing. Let’s hope that’s just marketing fizz.

• PancakeWizard says:

Good to see the Illuminati show up as well. Nice call back to the original game.

• Raoul Duke says:

I have just been howled down on another site for saying exactly this, but I totally agree with you.

DX1 was in some ways more cartoonish (men in black, etc) than HR, but it dealt with very real issues (terrorism, state power, libertarianism, recreational drugs, the abuse of technology, corporate ownership of medical innovations, to name just a few).

This whole “d00dz having a robot limb = apartheid” thing really seems very silly and unrealistic to me. Especially given that these supposedly oppressed people spend 90% of this trailer murdering thousands of people with their awesomely powerful augmentations.

On top of which, I think they are making it harder and harder for HR and this new game to link back in to the original game. DX1 is set in 2050ish from memory, at which point nano-augmentation is a radical new concept and people are apparently mostly pretty ok with mechanical augmentation. Yet suddenly here we are 20ish years previous and apparently everyone hates mechanical augmentation, plus Jensen suddenly appears to have nano-augmentation himself.

I am glad to see, at least, a reference to the Illuminati/Bob Page type stuff in this trailer. And this guy has a distinctly NSF look to him, although that might be clutching at straws:

link to i.imgur.com

• kament says:

Augs aren’t that expensive in HR, at least low tier tech. It’s established that pretty much everyone can afford them, and a lot of people don’t really have a choice – if you lost your leg, or your arm, or your eye, what else is there for you to do? And sure enough, there’s a lot of not exactly rich and privileged guys sporting augs in HR.

The problem is that drug neuroposyne. That’s big corps for you: hook ’em and milk ’em. And while you’re at it, why not milk all of them? So that’s how it really is in HR, thematically.

And there’s just so damn much in the game about that drug I can’t believe I’m first in the thread to point it out.

• simontifik says:

You seem to be forgetting that there was already a huge political push against augmentation in Human Revolution. The whole William Taggart, Humanity Front and limb clinic riots. Does seem to me to be a stretch to go from that to all out oppression of people with augs.

17. Greesha says:

Wow. 0:52 ACROИYM ad.

18. Guvornator says:

Well, I’m excited to see this wonderful third person fighting game, but what’s this got to do with Deus Ex?

• NotGodot says:

Yes, because what we really want to watch is three and a half minutes of crawling through vents and laundry chutes in order to read personal emails and fragments of shitty novels.

The stuff that makes Deus Ex what it is has never been immediately compelling when you’re not playing it. Which is why no Deus Ex game (or comparable games like EYE or VTMB) have ever led with it in marketing.

• Raoul Duke says:

The number of XTREEM TAKEDOWNS in that trailer is quite concerning. I would have thought they would have dropped that stuff like a hot potato.

19. cannonballsimp says:

“The promise of a golden age is over”
    Coded message that the piss filter will be turned down?

• onodera says:

But the unskippable intro will be twice as long to compensate for that.

• JimThePea says:

It does look like they’ve toned down the filter a little from these small bits I’ve seen so far, I wouldn’t expect everyone to love the filter, but it was key to the whole art direction package on HR and I always felt like they pulled it off.

20. Sucram says:

Majestic 12 hand sculpture spotted. Looks like they are going into the Illuminati story a bit more and developing the augmentation tech to start linking with the first game.

• PancakeWizard says:

The big illuminati symbol was a big clue too :D

• Raoul Duke says:

Let’s hope. More illuminati, less first year film studies musings on “what it means to be human”.

Although JC Denton and Paul Denton were the first nano-augmented humans, so I’m confused at to how Adam Jensen apparently has a magical nano-shield suddenly.

• Asurmen says:

Because he got upgrades? Duh.

• Kaeoschassis says:

I’m 90% sure that was just symbolic, and he doesn’t ACTUALLY have some kind of liquid metal shield enveloping his entire body.
        Especially as the Dragon’s Tooth sword that was canonically the first piece of tech to pull that off wasn’t developed until years after this is set.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

They also didn’t invent the plasma gun until some time just before DX (it was a prototype they were starting to roll out to MJ12 units), but there is a similar plasma gun in DXHR, so there’s already a precedent for ignoring the original game. Face it, guys, it’s not a true prequel, it’s a grimdark franchise reboot. :(

• Kaeoschassis says:

I hate to be that guy, but I’m almost certain you’re wrong. There was a very large, clunky prototype laser rifle in DXHR. To the best of my knowledge there was no plasma rifle.

Harlander says:

There is a plasma rifle in DX:HR, the Connaught Hi-NRG Plasma Lance. You could rationalise this by looking at the DX plasma rifle’s lack of overheating and assuming its prototype status refers to the integration of improved heat dissipation technology, were you so inclined.

21. seroto9 says:

His coat was nicer in the last game.

22. NetharSpinos says:

Thouroughly enjoyed Human Revolution, so this will be much anticipated. Not sure what to make of the Icarus symbolism, though. Is this foreshadowing that Jenson will be tragically struck down by a nasty case of the Hubris? Or, as is more likely, did the devs just want an excuse to give him wings?

• ThricebornPhoenix says:

Resembles the Sarif logo thingy out front of the headquarters in HR. Commentary in DC confirms that the Sarif logo was one of many references to Icarus in the game.

• Distec says:

Wasn’t the Icarus symbolism used in HR as well? My memory’s fuzzy. I recall it being a thing, but I don’t know if actually served any theme or went anywhere in general.

Frankly, only Icarus I care about is the scary AI that phones me up during the night.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Right, wasn’t there some similar symbolism during the scene where they installed his augs?
        Also I think I remember reading how the art direction was built toward that “flying too close to the sun” theme, with the slum areas being darker and the lighting becoming stronger as you climbed the corporate towers and arcologies.
        I can’t see this one ending well for Adam, honestly. I certainly hope their writers have the freedom to give this one an actual ending, but I suspect it might not be a pretty one.

• Raoul Duke says:

Possibly by becoming so effective via augmentation, he will be destroyed/captured by MJ12 as the basis for their future work?

Also, Icarus was a character in the first game, of course:

link to deusex.wikia.com

• JimThePea says:

I think it’s a reference to the Icarus symbolism that was in HR, which was about the idea that humanity itself might be flying too close to the sun with augment use. But, yeah, it’s probably there because it looks cool.

23. JackMultiple says:

Speaking of Eye-Borgs…

There is a fun 2009 sci-fi flick called “EyeBorgs” that is pretty good. That is, for a made-for-SyFy-like movie. The movie is corny, but the CGI is pretty decent and the film is surprisingly fun.

24. InfamousPotato says:

Yes. I know it was just a CGI trailer, and that it only exists to generate hype… but it worked. This could be fabulous.

Also, “The chance of a golden age is over” sounds like a pun about how there’s much less yellow than in Human Revolution. I’m really hoping that they take all the good stuff from HR and fix the bad (like the XP system). I really want this to be amazing.

On a final note, I like how they let Adam’s beard grow. Here’s hoping they take a hint from Witcher 3, and let it go Gandalf by the end of the game.

25. ShOcK says:

I’m either too excited to think clearly, or Eidos Montreal butched the cyrillic script. To my knowledge (I’ve been studying Russian only for two years), none of the variations use the “R” letter as it is used in the Latin alphabet. His coat has the letters “ЛСRИМ” – which is roughtly pronounced “LS(R)IM”. They either wanted the letter “R” (which is P) or they confused the letter Я – “ja” (pronounced as ya).
    On one hand, I’m excited for the new Deus Ex game – I really enjoyed both the original and HR. Around 1:25, among the locations displayed there’s Prague, Montreal, NYC and Hong Kong. I wonder if we’ll get to visit all of those locations. Anyone else noticed Adam swimming in an ocean? I know that none of the endings are cannon, but it just screams the 4th one. On the other tho, I’m kinda worried about Jensen returning as the protagonist – don’t get me wrong, I liked him as a fully fleshed out character and everything, but it just seems like his arc was definitely over. I’m kinda worried that it will be yet another mission pack; now that they aren’t resurrecting a franchise, Eidos Montreal can make some risks now and vary up the formula. Oh well, only time will tell whenever the Deus Ex franchise follows in steps of Windows and making only the odd numbered games good.
    On a side note, anyone else notices that Jensen now resembles JC even more? I mean, the cover, the scene where Adam is seen smoking..

• Greesha says:

Nah. It’s just product placement of clothing brand ACROИYM — link to acrnm.com

• ShOcK says:

Well, that makes me feel like an idiot. Thanks for pointing that one out. It’s not like Square Enix never product placed anything before. Oh well.

26. Stevostin says:

Am I the only one who found this trailer super cliché and very average in term of execution? Screenshots are nice though.

• Crafter says:

you are not the only one.
      I am not very hopeful for the story of MD, it could just be marketing, but it looks even more cliched than HR.

• Distec says:

I’m with you. Lot of self-serious puffery and whizbang action that left me feeling… well, nothing at all. I’m not sure I understand the excitement here, unless we’re just generally giddy for another DX game.

27. Muzman says:

Will the fluro buttock-wings be a Tempest-like aug I will never use, I wonder?

Doesn’t this suffer from the same trouble as Invisible War, in that it’s a question of which ending you picked and the interesting ways they try to ignore or account for that detail?
    It’s a trouble for all games with choices of that sort, with choices and things, but I’m just sayin’. I wonder how they’ll handle it.

28. SlimShanks says:

This is too much for me… This and Arma 3 bipods in one day? AND THERE ISN’T ANY FREE SPACE ON MY COMPUTER! I wonder if it is possible to play Arma 3 and Human Revolution at the same time? I’ll have to grab my sisters’ computer…
    Seriously though, how on earth are they going to get around the fact that HR had multiple endings? I hate it when writers just decide that one of the endings was canon and the rest weren’t. Causes some narrative dissonance if you picked the “wrong” ending.

29. int says:

Jensen used Dune’s shield tech!
    link to vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net

30. InfamousPotato says:

I want to be able to see my feet.

• InfamousPotato says:

Crap, I meant to post this in the other Deus Ex article, which asked what we wanted in the game. In case anyone was worried, don’t be. I can see my feet just fine irl.

31. Eight Rooks says:

Yup, it’s just CG posturing, but… mighty fine CG posturing. And Human Revolution started out the same way and turned out pretty good, so I’m cautiously optimistic. If you look at the credits they seem to have got Michael Mann back to do the soundtrack – the trailer music sounds like a reworking of Icarus (think that was the right name?).

Also I assume the oppressed augmented are the ones tempted into spending beyond their means on cyber-bits their bodies start rejecting and who then discover they can’t pay to keep up the treatments. Unless that aspect of the tech is supposed to have been fine-tuned by the time Mankind Divided takes place… but still, I’m guessing they’re going for “First you tell us we’re supposed to be like this, and we changed ourselves because you said it was really cool, and now you’ve decided we’re all monsters and need to be rounded up and put in camps”. Human Revolution made it very clear it wasn’t just the elite who got to play with robot arms – everyone else just found they couldn’t afford it in the long term.

32. Distec says:

I’ll have to watch it when I get home, but if I don’t hear the DX theme when I play this trailer, I will bawl into a pillow. Just like I did last time.

HR’s soundtrack was competently executed, but ultimately very generic sounding and forgettable.

• MikhailG says:

Wow really? I found it to be considerably more attractive than generic orchestral soundtrack #3942 most games tend to use these days. At least it tries to stay in tone with the general aesthetics and provides a solid background. Just my biased opinion of course.

33. Zenicetus says:

I dunno, I liked playing about 75% sneaky and 25% open combat in the last one. This looks very Arkham-like with melee combat, so I hope that’s optional and just there to sell the trailer. Sneaky doesn’t sell in trailers, I guess.

And I hope boss fights are better integrated into the game than last time.

34. DanMan says:

I hope we get 3rd person combat. 1st person melee just isn’t neither fun nor satisfying to me. You can’t do any cool moves because you’d just get seasick.

• onodera says:

Have you played Zeno Clash? Disorientation is part of the fun.

35. DanDanRevolution says:

Whenever I look at Adam Jensen I am reminded of the scene in Dumb and Dumber when Harry goes “What if they had shot me in the face?!” I am always waiting for one bad guy to get off that dream head shot and end it all.

36. bleeters says:

Well, sure, but is Pritchard in it? Because I’m not sure I’m going to be as interested if he isn’t calling me constantly to sarcastically judge my actions. That was half the appeal DEHR had for me.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Agreed, he was great. Like a much snarkier Alex (Jacobson) playing a pretty similar part. I kind of felt like they could have done more with him though, honestly. I haven’t been able to play DXHR for a while because my gaming rig died but I don’t remember him really questioning your actions to the same degree that Alex did before the writers forgot about him. Mostly it was JUST snark.

37. Emeraude says:

You know, saying it make me realize it may sound a bit mean, but I remain convinced the trailer for HR was the best executed part of the whole project. The game never managed to get close to what that trailer seemed to promise.

“It’s not the end of the world… but you can see from here.”

38. CMaster says:

More Deus Ex is not a thing I can argue against.

But more Jensen, more saving the world is only going to make the storyline and setting more of a mess.

I wanted something with a new character(s), and perhaps a lower key plot.

• Deadly Sinner says:

I can see Jensen working out if he’s working for himself, maybe as a PI or something, until he’s caught up in larger events. I don’t think he would be working for Sarif anymore, and it didn’t seem like he was on the side of the cops or terrorists in the trailer.

• dorobo says:

lower key plot is a good idea that sounds like cyberpunk :) and not some world savior ya know.

39. catmorbid says:

I just hope they spent even marginally more time in designing the augmentations, and giving us some actual choice regarding the augmentations. Also, I’d like to press the buttons elsewhere than just in the very final moments, and thus see my choices revealed much like an epiphany. Really, I just hope the gameplay will be better.

40. Raoul Duke says:

Wishlist:

1. Exclusively first person view
    2. No QTE takedowns
    3. Any boss fights to be actually good
    4. Stealth/zero combat/low combat gameplay to be viable
    5. Jensen to get an augmentation that makes his personality interesting and likeable
    6. No romance subplot
    7. Much more MJ12/Illuminati/black helicopter type stuff
    8. Start heavily linking in to the first game and its themes
    9. Wide open spaces to explore, not narrow little corridors
    10. An explanation for why neon tubes are stuck everywhere

• Kaeoschassis says:

3. Any boss fights to be actually good…
      3.5 …or skippable.

Seriously, let’s not forget that the “boss” enemies in DX1 were no better to fight directly than any of the other bads – which is to say, not great. But it got away with it because if you didn’t want to fight them you could literally just walk off. Or tell them to explode. Either worked.

41. dorobo says:

I expect this to be a cashgrab.. Human revolution was mediocre. Cyberpunk saved it for me.

42. eeguest says:

Anyone else sees this trailer being similar to trailers from the latest Thief game also from Eidos ? (a revolution leader who is our adversary, has a bunch of followers ready for orders). I hope this is not a bad sign.

43. Dawngreeter says:

I am very disappointed with the faux-Russian accent. I don’t much mind United Statesians imagining chosen Eternal Enemy archetype of the day being used in entertainment as a shortcut for painting someone as irredeemably evil, it’s part of TV Americana as much as incompetent police chiefs who hold excellent detectives back. Last year that guy would’ve been Arab but, eh, now Ukraine is happening… and, on a positive side, isn’t it nice that United Statesians found out about yet another country existing?

But, in this particular case, it kinda takes away from the central premise, doesn’t it? It’s not about nations, it’s about augmented and unaugmented people. It’s about attempted transhumanism, class warfare, etc. Why would they need this? It’s actively working against the entire rest of the narrative presented in the trailer.

Blargh.

• Asurmen says:

How does a foreign accent mean any of that? Seems a bit reaching that a bit of diversity is somehow working against the narrative. Should the game only occur in the US with American accents only?

• Kaeoschassis says:

Plus utterly terrible foreign accents are just part of DX’s long and illustrious legacy.

Beer is fifteen, wine is one twenty.

• Dawngreeter says:

The trailer may well be poorly representative of the actual diversity present in the game. And if that’s the case, I’m all for it. IT could, in fact, be completely awesome and work WITH the central theme by showing that nationality and other such trivialities are inconsequential – only augmentations matter.

But if the only diverse character is the main bad guy who speaks with a faux Russian accent, that’s not actually diversity.

• Asurmen says:

How is it not, and even if he is the only one, how does it even slightly damage the narrative of the trailer? Just because someone speaks with a foreign accent does not imply it’s now somehow about nations?

• Dawngreeter says:

It’s not about nations. It takes away from NOT being about nations.

• Jackablade says:

I just hope they make him a character in the game and don’t relegate 100% of his development to the companion novel again.

• Zekiel says:

I feel that’s a bit unfair. Adam in DXHR had more character than a lot of videogame protagonists. He was unhappy about what had happened to him. He was loyal to Sarif. He possibly (depending how you played him) had a developing sympathy for the anti-aug movement. His apartment was one of the best examples I’ve seen of environment providing insight into a character (although granted, that wasn’t necessarily reflected elsewhere).

Of course you could play Adam as a psychotic fridge-throwing kleptomaniac which didn’t gel especially well with his personality in cutscenes!

But I thought HR had some fantastic characters in it. Prichard, Sarif and Darrow were great, and I’ve got a real soft spot for Adam.

• Jackablade says:

I was meaning the boss man. Federova and Barrett are developed characters in the Icarus Effect novel, but pretty much just exist to as boss battles in Human Revolution. I’m just hoping the actually do something with the big mech guy in Mankind Divided and don’t just make him a bullet sponge.

• Zekiel says:

Oh, yeah, in that case I 100% agree with your comment. Hilariously you don’t even find out the NAME of Federova in HR until after you’ve killed her.

• NotGodot says:

He’s Czech, and this is a game made by French-Canadians who work for the French arm of a Japanese company. When the last game depicted terrorism, it went with white, black and hispanic crust punks rather than with arabs, and it draws parallels between NATO and terrorists in the opening ten minutes.

He’s Czech because Prague is a major setting for the game, and he’s a charismatic but dangerous political organizer in the augmented ghettos.

Y’know Jensen actually worked for and followed the orders of a Russian for a substantial chunk of the last game, right?

• Dawngreeter says:

Hm. That does make sense. I guess it’s just the fact that it was the only discernible accent in the trailer.

Well then, standing down on that point and hoping it gets no further fuel.

• NotGodot says:

Eh, not your fault. All the context for that character and the Prague hub is buried away in Game Informer because they got the exclusive.

44. Monggerel says:

Well, shiiiieeeet, Adam,

45. Danarchist says:

Amazon says dec 31 2016, so its due out sooner than that?

46. MikhailG says:

While I am actually hyped for the next deus ex game I have to say one thing… Why don’t they give their CGI movie studio/team a bigger budget and let them make a full length movie? This trailer has some really sleek combat (as other mentioned rather in stark contrast with the sneaky HR), and just generally great cinematography. I’d kill to watch a full length movie with the same quality with some GitS like story draped over it.

47. bill says:

Wow. Square’s JRPG trailers and cinematics are getting better and better. Very japanese.
    But I thought you said something about Deus Ex?