Northern Delights: Games Festival Feral Vector Next Month

animal costume not required but everyone will probably be delighted if you do wear one

Feral Vector – formerly known as Bit Of Alright – is a UK games festival which hosts talks, games, experiments and elbow-rubbing from/with assorted cheerful and interesting developer types. It’s curated by David Hayward, who organised the Leftfield Collection at EGX and Rezzed. Pip thought the last one was lovely. A slight change of plan for 2015 though: mindful that everything ever seems to happen in London, this year’s Feral Vector has upped sticks to Yorkshire in the hope that game-makers and game-players who traditionally get left out of this sort of thing can attend.

Feral Vector is being held at Hebden Bridge on May 29 and 30th this yaer, and tickets of assorted pricing depending your means and generosity are available now. It’s hosted in a restored former Baptist church, no less. Any restored former Baptists in the audience tonight? No? Well, it’s worth going along anyway, I think.

Cos of stuff like this: “near the hills, bluebells and lambs with a whole host of games to play, workshops to take part in, installations to play with, performances to watch and talks to listen to – including sessions covering game design from it’s fundamental skills to the outer fringes where it relates to cities, politics and poetry amongst other things.” There’ll also be a botany walk co-hosted by Ed Key, of Proteus fame. This alone makes me dearly want to go.

Other devs include the folks behind Titan Souls, Big Robot’s Tom Betts (disclaimer – oh, you know), Heartwood’s Kerry Turner and a whole bunch more. There’ll be plenty of games, of the traditional, the experimental and local multiplayerer kind alike, and assorted mini-events. More details here.

It sounds calm, friendly and cuddly. I.e. this probably isn’t for you if you’re all about your codblops, but if you’re at all interested in games as something wider, smarter, sillier, more playful and/or more meaningful, get thee to a restored former Baptist church.

1. MrBehemoth says:

Nice for this sort of thing to creep north of London… but you fancypants southerners in your fancy pants tend to forget is how much north there is. York isnt even a third of the way to Aberdeen, for example.

• MrBehemoth says:

I should add that I don’t mean to be negative about sounds like a wonderful event. :)

pertusaria says:

For anyone who’s been – to what extent is this a thing that non-developers / people who aren’t in games professionally attend? It sounds like fun, but it also sounds like mainly an industry gathering (which is cool).

• Spooner says:

I went last year and spoke to one non-developer and plenty of non-professional hobbyist or student devs. The talks were not technical in nature, so I think anyone interesting in gaming would have got on with them fine. In fact, the best talk I witnessed was from a guy who designed and built truly amazing mechanical/electronic games for his own pier arcade!

I’m already booked to go this year, partly because it is closer to me now (Lancaster).

pertusaria says:

Thanks – booked! Hope I’m able to go.

• Spooner says:

Well done! Hope it doesn’t disappoint!

Another talk was what this article was later written about: link to rockpapershotgun.com (actually a lot better with Alice’s passionate presentation).

• somnolentsurfer says:

Me too. And my experience so far consists of reading Rise of the Videogame Zinesters and getting inspired, and doing a few of Tom Francis tutorials.

Excited to see something like this so close to Bradford though.

3. Bioblit says:

I hope other things follow Feral Vector’s lead and move northwards. Also, I love that they’ve brought an event so close to Huddersfield. With any luck Riot will bring this year’s World Championships to the John Smith Stadium.