Call Of Duty: Black Ops 3 Reveal Date… Uh… Revealed

There are three things because this is Black Ops 3. Are you following this?

Activision and Treyarch have announced the worldwide reveal date for Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 – it’s April 26th.

As you might expect from a teaser for an announcement, it’s all swishy CGI and some echoey near future military-industrial philosophy wiffle and no actual game details. BUT you can watch it:

Watching it fullscreen you’ll see 30.0500 N 31.2333 E float by as a voice says “The numbers, Mason – what do they mean?” Shoving those co-ordinates into Google pinpoints 6 October Bridge in Cairo. So that’s a thing, potentially.

I’m kind of hoping that it might take a trip into full-on cyberpunk what with all these augmented bodies and forays into what I’ve always thought of as corporate dystopias. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I like shooting things on my screen in the face. I don’t want to lose that, but I’d rather like to try my hand at taking down one of the megacorporations.

In other “hopes for the future” news, I’d like it if next year there could be a teaser for the Snapchats which preceded the teaser of the reveal and that we end up with a marketing video equivalent of Russian dolls.

1. scannerbarkly says:

I would normally pic up a COD game for a few weeks of fun with friends but the mood as just evaporated to do so again if I am honest. AW was a solid game, with a bit of support for PC it would have been a very fun and enjoyable title I believe, but the lies about such and subsequent refusal really was just something that irked me. It kind of robbed me of the joy I would normally get from a COD game.

2. Hunchback says:

Ugh… COD

• Darth Gangrel says:

If you look on the bright side, now you know the exact date of when you can start to not give a damn about the new CoD and focus on more important stuff (like, um, anything else really).

3. zarnywoop says:

..Another pint from the cow

• Lachlan1 says:

Now now, she’s not Nathan Grayson but that’s just mean

4. SKapsniak says:

COD: Cod Ops

Infiltrate your way into the Faroe Isles frontline to a bitchin’ 70’s soundtrack in a COMPLETELY HISTORICALLY accurate of recreation of the DEEP CONSPIRACY behind the Iceland vs UK Cod War.. Culminates in the famous historical incident where Icelandic starships blow up the English Capital of London, Ontario.

5. Artificial says:

Bored of CoD now, my first was BLOPS II which I had great fun with. Ghosts I played a fair bit even though it was dreadful. AW was a solid game and was almost exactly the same feel as BLOPS II but I was already burnt out and got bored after hardly playing it and that was only after playing 3 games in the series.

The mutliplayer just feels too samey.

6. grimdanfango says:

The only genuine enjoyment I’ve ever gotten from this franchise has been from saying the word “codblops”.

• vorador says:

I personally loved the first one. The one that didn’t had regenerating health and some missions were hard as eating nails.

The sequel was ok but far easier, and then it went downhill for me.

edna says:

Also 47.3667N 8.5500E (25 seconds in), which seems to be by a rather funky walkway over glass below-ground thing in Zurich.

No longer the game for me (though I liked COD4 and MW2 back in the day), but this new hobby of googling northings and eastings is rather fun.

8. Azagthoth says:

Didn’t you (RPS that is) at some point make a post about how you would no longer convey PR trailers devoid of any info or content because they are simply advertisements? If I am not mistaken this was after th AC4 trailer avalanche, I think John wrote it.
    Since this stuff is readily distrubted by essentially all other gaming sites I think it would suit RPS to skip it

• Synesthesia says:

Agreed! I think we could all do without this big pile of nothing.

• April March says:

I concur. Next time you feel like posting about CoD, send Alice down to fetch another dreamscape explore-em-up from itch.io.

• Lachlan1 says:

Pathological liars

• Robert Post's Child says:

Everything we knew was wrong! What does it all mean?! Unless… there’s a secret code in this post!

• Azagthoth says:

I have no problem about RPS covering CoD games if they provide some sort of interesting insight or opinion. What I do, however, dislike is when RPS post simple advertisement from a large AAA publisher.
      Again, I acknowledge that some readers might be interested in this sort of thing, but there is no shortage of sites that will update peoble on AAA release dates

RaveTurned says:

Except there is some info here, which is a launch date. Which is nice. And I think this is the first RPS has covered it, so it’s nice to now there’s yet another CoD coming out (though admittedly, hardly surprising).

If we start getting a big stack of different trailers with the core message “this game we’re releasing is still being released”, then I think that’s probably the time to ignore them.

RaveTurned says:

EDIT (or would be): Oh no wait, I’d missed the previous post about the Black Ops viral thing they’re doing with snapchat. OK, now new CoD is confirmed, we can go back to more interesting things. Unless it turns out there’s some radical change to the formula which makes the latest version stand out from the rest, but my hopes aren’t too high on that score.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I honestly think they simply find it too funny that there’s a release date for a release date, and it’s impossible to resist reporting on that.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Ok, i phrased that pretty badly, silly edit button, but you hopefully got the point.

• DrollRemark says:

Yeah, I hate to be yet another moaner in RPS comments, but this is the kind of dull PR-feeding nonsense I started reading here to get away from.

9. vorador says:

*yawn*

Oh, another COD. Big surprise. Never saw that one.

10. Lachlan1 says:

“no actually game details”. Seriously? It’s cod, look at the last 7 or 8 years of games. It will be the same

11. SlimShanks says:

I need to register my outrage at the fact that they totally stole part of the Arma 3 logo. I know COD games are lazy in the design department, but come on…
    link to community.bistudio.com

• drkeiscool says:

Seriously? It’s a Roman numeral 3. There’s not a whole lot you can with that.

12. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Let me guess: the pyramids will be destroyed during a dramatic set piece.

13. HighlordKiwi says:

I am shocked they have announced this announcement only 16 days in advance, and with no prior warning. I would have hoped for an announcement about the announcement announcement at least a month ago so could have girded my loins in preparation for the announcement’s announcement. Maybe a teaser for the announcement of the reveal. Or maybe they should have announced a tease for the reveal. Now I’ve confused myself, I hope they are happy with themselves.

14. Flowers2brazil says:

Nothing will be better than this Bouquet of Mixed Flowers to your adorable mother on this special day of love and affection. Send Mother’s Day Gifts to Brazil at right price through any online shopping store and show your best love and respect. Order online for Mother’s Day Flower Delivery in Braziland incorporate happiness into her life.