File System Aging 6 – In The Dark

Hey come watch the final part of Rab Florence’s weekly video series, made just for us. Part one, part two, part three, part four, part five.

In the sixth and final part of this series about games, time and loss, Rab reminds us why you should make your own memories.

Remember to subscribe to the RPS YouTube channel for more of whatever it is we do. While File System Aging ends, Quinns’ COGWATCH continues.

This post was funded by the RPS Supporter program. Thanks for helping us stay in the dark.

1. RealWeaponX says:

Sixth and final?! Very sad to see this series end, Rab. It’s been great, and I personally think this last entry has been the best so far.

Season 2, please!

2. Synesthesia says:

Dorga says:

Once again thank you Rab, and RPS.

4. Bracknellexile says:

An inspirational series, Rab. Thanks for letting us take a peek at a very personal set of videos made for your very special audience of one. You make a very good point about the media we all consume, watched or read solely because we want to engage and think that will help, and made only because that’s what they think we want to engage with. This was wonderfully different from the norm, not really made for us in internet-land but for someone real and tangible and meaningful, and so much better for it.

Has me of a mind to go make something for my nieces (and who knows, maybe, one day, my own kids). Thank you!

5. AbsoluteShower says:

What the actual hell did I just watch?

6. ansionnach says:

Great stuff. Been spending more time disconnected lately to focus on more creative activities. It’s worth sharing your experiences with others, especially if you may have insights into something that isn’t much discussed. Even if you don’t particularly, what’s wrong with recounting your own tales of attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion? If we never engage our own creative faculties and challenge ourselves, our achievements and memories won’t even be tears in the rain.

7. thedosbox says:

Having lost my mum recently, this series has resonated with me. Thanks to RPS for giving Rab the platform.

Andy_Panthro says:

Gutted that this the last video, it felt like you’d only just got started!

9. Monggerel says:

Wisdom is a knowing deep in the bone that loss and beauty are one and the same thing.t
    It wasn’t me who said that though.

Thanks, Rob. I’ll… yeah. Thank you.

• Monggerel says:

ordinarily i’d bemoan that errant “t” at teh end but thankfully it’s been a friday so I’m onl mostly on control of basic motor functions at this point

heretic says:

Great finish to a great series :) thank you.

11. caff says:

Good series.

12. wileman says:

Sad to see it ending already, I really enjoyed the series. It’s the most unique and beautiful thing somewhat related to games that I’ve ever come across.

13. sanchox says:

As a father who has lost his father, this series has been an inspiration and an awakening for me. Thank you for putting your thoughts, feelings, and ideas out there and giving me a starting point to examine myself, my past, and my role as a dad.

Your inclusion of Another World, Unreal Tournament, and Wing Commander 3 really struck home with me. I was positively obsessed with each of those in my youth. My mind knew exactly when to expect the colored glitches you see in some of the scenes you presented from WC3… I was forever hunting my AI friend Loque in UT, and fighting for hours with my Mac LC II to play through Another World.

Video games have always been a part of me, and they were truly daft in the eyes of my father. Soon I will grab a bottle of Cognac and venture to my father’s shed for some reflection… Thanks again!

14. wendy says:

Earning money online was never been easy as it has become for me now. I freelance over the internet and earn about 81 bucks an hour. Get more time with your family by doing jobs that only require for you to have a computer and an internet access and you can have that at your home. A little effort and handsome earning dream is just a click away………………………………

15. elwood_p says:

Great series.

It’s obviously very personal but for me it nails a certain age group – growing up with this strange new past-time.
    A past-time that our parents perhaps struggled to comprehend or appreciate.

Now, older – we have to deal with those same parent’s mortality – and take on the role of parents ourselves.
    Can we use our experiences to be closer to our own children?

Feels too personal for a public airing – maybe throwing out time at the Scotia would be a better place.

16. misterbung says:

This is really touching and fantastic. Thank you Rab.

Have you shown your kids seen Consolvania? We managed to get it bootlegged way out in the arse end of Australia from a friend-of-a-friend with a decent internet connection and there’s a small group of gamers who teen years were greatly influenced by it. So thanks for that as well.

17. ansionnach says:

Well, here’s what I’d been working on during the week. Was nice to sit outside on a hilltop in the sunshine and just write, regardless of the result:
    link to ansionnachrua.wordpress.com

18. kumasimc says:

This series has been so good. I’m very sad to see it go, I looked forward to it every week. But this was a great way to wrap it all up. and now that bit of music that he always uses will haunt me forever. you’ve made a lovely bit of light in the sky, my friend. thank ye.

19. Persona says:

Great stuff Rab, very entertaining series; wouldn’t mind a few more episodes, although it ended on a great note. Looking forward to see what you do next!

20. masarius says:

Really enjoyed this, and as others have commented, resonated strongly with my own childhood obsessions and experiences. Thanks for sharing.