Mars War Logged: The Technomancer Announced

Mars: War Logs was not especially one well-received, one of those small RPGs with ambitions it couldn’t achieve, but it wasn’t booed out of town either. I’m a little puzzled, then, that the announcement of The Technomancer [official site] today doesn’t mention War Logs at all. It’s another sci-fi RPG set on Mars by French studio Spiders, them lot behind Of Orcs and Men and Bound by Flame too.

If you read the rest of this post, I’ll show you a big monster where I honestly can’t tell which slick bodypart is its head and which is its genitals or what or I don’t know.

The announcement talks of strife on a dirty post-apocalyptic Mars, skill trees, different fighting styles, magical cyberpowers, companions, crafting, conversations with consequences, multiple endings, and other things that were totally all in Mars: War Logs. You guys! Come on now.

Spiders are clearly into the ideas of War Logs but perhaps they – or, more probably, publishers Focus Home – want to get away from its not-great reputation. They tried to turn it around a little by retranslating and rerecording a lot of the script, but initial impressions do tend to stick.

Well then, let’s see how they do with a do-over. The game’s due in 2016, so I suppose we’ll find out then. And now, that monster I promised:

1. leeder krenon says:

War Logs is kind of endearing. It’s a bit of a mess, but I’ve quite enjoyed the first half of it. At least I’ve got a while to finish it now.

2. RogerioFM says:

They always show so much potential, but in the end falls short and I always wonder, when will they get it right. They’re so close to releasing a really good game.

3. Zenicetus says:

I never played War Logs, but it looked from the trailers like they didn’t take any advantage of the low-G environment, which would seem to be an obvious way to make the game stand out in the crowd. Mars is something like half Earth gravity, which was the basis for the John Carter character having superhero abilities in the classic Burroughs books. That could have some interesting dynamics in melee fights.

Wolfenstein New Order had one very tiny segment of low grav on the moon, and basically used it just to show off a single long-distance hop across a canyon. Then back to the usual “we’re inside a habitat, so of course the gravity is Earth-normal!”.

Bah, humbug. A wasted opportunity.

• Sonntam says:

Well, one could also consider the atmosphere (or more like lack of it), the rapid temperature changes (it’s bloody freezing on Mars) and lack of oxygen…

From what we have seen in Mars: War Logs there had been not enough terraforming done to change any of this. The only thing that was adressed was how the lack of atmosphere causes radiation to be a significant issue (mutations for everyone! or more like, for people who sunbathe a lot).

Mars: War Logs is very, very soft sci-fi (almost a fluid) and one has to consider that. It’s pretty steampunk in this hindsight. What matters is rule of cool, not pesky real life rules.

• RegisteredUser says:

I can honestly say that I felt that the worst new “feature” of Borderlands: TPS was the whole “no atmosphere” shtick. Burning got restricted, moving around felt weird no matter how long you did it, and instead of super cool moments of interesting navigation it just felt like everything was constantly slightly delayed.

I’d rather have combat, weapons, effects, design or story stand out, personally.

4. lomaxgnome says:

I enjoyed Mars War Logs, primarily because it let me play a technomage better than any other game ever has. If they’re making a pseudo-sequel that emphasizes that, I’m actually pretty excited.

5. Sarfrin says:

War Logs should be a game about hitting people with giant chunks of dead tree. Or massive turds if you’re immature like me.

6. anHorse says:

I kinda liked War Logs, sure every single gameplay mechanic was iffy and the title seemed to describe a trip to the toilet after a night out but the setting was kinda different.

A bit like Remember Me really, nothing about the game was that good but I was endeared to it anyway because it stood out from the crowd a bit

7. Robert Post's Child says:

Trick question! That’s several genitals spliced together. I’m on to your game, Martian Genital-mancers!

• April March says:

It’s all genitals. Genitals all the way down. Genitals as far as the genitals can see.

8. blastaz says:

War logs was a really solid game. All cyanide/spider RPGs are the same. Imaginative world, complicated systems, seriously unpolished and 15 year old boy view of gritty.

Possibly the more pc element of RPS might take offence at the setting, because it is pretty horrible. It begins with a prison catamite and you can choose to straight up rape a slave. However underneath is quite an interesting game…

9. April March says:

At least it has a name that makes me interested in it, which is a 180 from its previous entry.

10. Zallgrin says:

I’m a die-hard Spiders fan and loved Mars: War Logs. Let’s just hope Technomancer will be more in line with Mars rather than Bound by Flame.

11. Hensler says:

The Technomancers were the antagonist group or something like that in War Logs, weren’t they? It’s been less than a year, and the only thing I really remember about that game was how rushed/horrible the third act was. In that regard, Spiders is choosing the wrong part of Bioware/Obsidian to emulate.

12. Ejia says:

It probably has nothing to do with it, but the title reminds me of the odd oddness that is E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy.

13. waltC says:

Alice, you seem to have an almost unhealthy obsession with genitals of all kinds. You might wish to consider seeing someone about that…;)