The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Trailer Explains It All

My heart will go on.

I am always aware that video games – and game sites, communities, culture, and everything – assume a hefty body of common knowledge. You’re expected to know the seminal works, the movers and the shakers, and the lingo, though no one really explains, and you’re to keep on top of all this too. I’m writing this post for one person. This post is for the one person who’s casually stopping by, who’s not on top of upcoming games, but who saw a picture of a fantasy man with a sword fighting a ghostbride and thought “Ooh that’s nice! What’s that?”

Hi, you. That’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site]. Watch this new trailer, it’ll explain.

This shiny new five-minute trailer’s a broad overview of the game, its basic premise, the lay of its land, a few japes, and the sort of larks you’ll get up to.

Or for folks who already know about The Witcher, hey, it shows fun odds and ends from all over.

Or for me, man! I want to be a rad witch and attend cool blood-feeding parties.

This trailer also covers pretty much everything Witchery that RED might shout about in the next month or so. I realise we’ve posted about it a lot lately, between expansions and the first 15 minutes and talk of game lenth and beard length. Not that I’m apologising for us posting a lot about a game which looks super rad? Anyway, The Witcher 3 is due to launch on May 19th.

1. Sakai says:

If this games is even half as good as it looks, it will eat Dragon Age alive. And pretty much everything else.

• RagePoon says:

See… This line of thinking I have a problem with. Why does it have to be one RPG or the other? – Instead you should be happy that there are still big game developers still making good RPG’s. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but there is a huge gap in the RPG market these days.

Bioware isn’t the company it once was but they still make some damn fine games which are by no means ‘bad games’.

• SirYoggi says:

Yeah, I’m with you. I can’t wait to play The Witcher 3, but I enjoyed both DA:I and PoE. RPGs for the win.

Damien Stark says:

Seconded.

I played more than one RPG last year, and I plan to play more than one this year.

edna says:

That … looks really good. Not often that you see a trailer that really shows why you’d want to play and how things might go when you do. Looks a bit like Skyrim, but with decent combat and a better chance of the world caring what you choose to do. I’ve never Witchered before, but I have to say I’m tempted this time.

• Andrew says:

I was thinking as well that it had a Skyrimy feel to it, but it also makes me think of Red Dead Redemption. Not exactly sure why. Something about the way he’s walking through underbrush and turns, just seeing an animal (or ogre) there.

• Donjo says:

It makes me think of RDR because there were very similar trailers for that, with a voiceover explaining how the game might work. The best bit in that for me was a (slightly) scripted moment when you cross the river for the first time and a non diegetic song plays – the only time in the game – and it was a powerful moment

• Cinek says:

You might consider re-playing Witcher 2 – it will give you a save that you’ll be able to import into the Witcher 3 and in general multiple gameplay mechanics will be very similar between these two games.

3. Eight Rooks says:

It’s kind of awkward, IMO. It looks a little like a marketing executive went “Hey, all the kids are demanding extensive video explanations of WHAT CAN I DO FOR THESE TWO HUNDRED HOURS, make one of those” – I mean, “…even racism”? I giggled, and I’m pretty sure I wasn’t supposed to. It’s got nothing on Rockstar, say.

That said, my, my, it still looks incredibly pretty. It does seem a bit like Assassins of Kings but bigger and more detailed, but that’s good enough for me – I’m far from CDP’s biggest fan/I think the internet collectively cuts them way too much slack, but I was still planning on getting this day one, and what I’m seeing here only increases that conviction.

• RaoulDuke says:

+1 These are almost exactly the words I was going to write.

• sickre says:

The American female narrators accent is entirely out of place. They could have got any European person to do it and it would have sounded much better. I couldn’t finish the video it was so jarring.

• Koinzellgaming says:

This reminds me of the “Hitman Absolution” game trailer.. Wait a minute, actually isn’t it the same voice actress? And the way how explanations were carried out were the same as well in the Hitman trailer.. The voice actress has a calm and serious tone without any emotion in it and it feels unfitting for this game especially.
        And the explanation, like it was already mentioned, dragged on unnecessarily long. A short explanation of the story and giving off the feeling of a “real open world marvel” would have been enough and it would have kept the hype going. I mean this didn’t kill my hype, but it did reduce it.. It almost made me feel like “Maybe I should cancel my pre-purchase and really see if I will like it before commiting?” until I remembered how good Witcher 2 was and I reconsidered.

I’m sure that it’s a great game, but i’m still not sure if I’ll love it (I haven’t completed any 100+ hour games for a long time. Last one that I did was Dragon Age Origins, and it had the benefit of strategy and unique and fun followers..), because it somewhat made me feel like “Dragon Age Inquisition” all over again (And I didn’t really enjoy that game too much because of the Mmo feel and strange design decisions..).. The length just feels played out too much.

• Deadly Sinner says:

The Witcherwild Hunt

• trashmyego says:

The ‘even Racism’ part is doubly funny because there’s not a hint of any ethnic variety in the NPCs we see. I know the context of the game world, but anyone watching this video who doesn’t know it’s referring to dwarf, elf, human conflict would find it puzzling.

I’ve really enjoyed my time with the previous games, but man do the people at Project CD RED come across as naively immature on so many fronts.

• Cinek says:

Not to mention that “even racism” seems to be worse than “war crimes”… I guess that’s a video targeted at US audience…

• Nubnut says:

I mean, it’s worth noting that difference in ethnic background doesn’t really mean anything, Poland has had a pretty deep history of white vs. white prejudice throughout a lot of its history (not to mention the kind of racism they experienced in the Soviet bloc and under Nazi occupation).

4. ffordesoon says:

Yeah. Give me something like this over contentless “THIS GAME IS EPIC BECAUSE HERE IS A MAN AND HE IS FIGHTING A DRAGON AND SWORDS AND ORCHESTRA BUT IT IS NOT LIKE THOSE OTHER GAMES BECAUSE THIS MAN HAS A BEARD EPIC GUITAR SOLO BECAUSE THIS GAME IS EPIC DID WE MENTION IT’S EPIC BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT STUPID” trailers any day.

5. Laurentius says:

I don’t know, it looks splendind at first glance, the world, the graphics but somehow also unimpressive as a cRPG. Where’s the story and some cool quest, dialogues and characters ? It seems so DA:Inquisition like, with all this tedious map clearing. All these world interactions seem incredible shallow, just like in DA:I, clear these monsters and a dude selling swords appears, you do it once and then it’s just another “gamey” gimmick, only making worlds more artificial. Long story short, nothing shown so far convinces me that this “open world” will be in any way interesting, excpet looking very pretty. I only hope that main story will hold up.

• Gamer41 says:

First off you haven’t played it so you do not know.Second off you must lack any kinda knowledge of the other Witcher games or books or you would know how impressive this game will be.
      There was never a part in DA:i where you cleared out monster and merchants showed up. No, helping clear the xroads in the first area does not count. You make is sound like that’s all you do in DA:I.
      The reason they haven’t released any story elements is cause they don’t want to spoil the main story. They have crafted a living breathing world that is nothing like Skyrim. ( To be fair Skyrim with mods does enhance it a ton and is almost required.) I can not see how anyone could think its unimpressive. If your unimpressed with everything and hope the main story is more interesting then what has been shown then perhaps you should stick to Taletell games since all they know how to do is craft great story’s with zero gameplay.
      I have no doubt this game will have its bugs like the others witcher games and I fully expect to be let down by some parts of it. As far as what is being released this year this game is vastly impressive compared to anything else.

• Laurentius says:

Really ? I haven’t played so I don’t know, but you have played it, because it seems that you somehow know everything.
        Of course it is speculation on my part.
        And did you even play DA:I ? There was plenty of these, even the likes of clearing fortress of bad guys and then them being settled by Inquistion, with merchants and stuff, spawnig patrols of your dudes that occasionaly fights monsters etc. Completely pointless and as game goes it was just another useless tick on the map. This type of “interactive and living” open world cRPG is a waste imo.

• ShawnMcCool says:

Although dude’s tone is pretty grumpy, he’s right about the game. The Witcher games are incredibly flawed masterpieces. If you’re the kind of gamer that can play a new game enough to understand how to get the most out of it, then you will revel in The Wild Hunt.

I recommend trying out the 2nd Witcher game if you haven’t already. If you’re really open to gaming experiences then definitely check out the first Witcher. But, it’s aged a bit. Nonetheless, it’s still amazing. But, my gut says that many players would not see the unique charm and only see the flaws.

• Koinzellgaming says:

“He is right about the game”?… Wait what? Have you played the game? You haven’t?.. Then you can’t talk like it’s factual. It can be a flawless masterpiece. Or it can flop as well. This game has a huge open world, and making a good open world game is different from “The Witcher 2” which is just your linear story with closed off areas in which you can travel around in. And in this sense, The Witcher 2 is similar to Dragon Age Origins (Both had somewhat linear stories, although you had some choice in both of them. And their worlds also weren’t open worlds.). While Dragon Age Inquisition, which took on the challenge of “Large open world” just was like an MMO.. The Witcher 3 has the benefit of a better combat system. The way how the world is built, what to do in it, and how the quests are structured, will be vital to how good the game itself will be. The Witcher 3 will have an open world while The Witcher 2 didn’t. This will actually be a far bigger change in game design then you might think.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

In fairness, that part about clearling ghost towns overrun with monsters might just as easily be the exact equivalent of FC3/4’s outposts, complete with merchants moving in and almost surely a quick travel option.

Time will tell, off course, and it will all come down to how depth there is to that, as in different unique items and mission and maybe different way to eradicate the threat that, depending what your choice it might bring more or less harm to the town, making your job easier at first but compromising the rewards.

• Naum says:

If being burned by game PR has told me anything, it’s that what they show is always the absolute best case scenario. This is commonly accompanied by phrasing along the lines of “such as”, “like”, “for example”, suggesting that what you see is only the tip of the iceberg when actually, you’re looking at a floating ice shard of middling proportions. So, until details emerge, I’ll assume that the interactions with the world are precisely as simplistic as this trailer makes them out to be: clear area, townspeople spawn. Of course, I’d love to be proven wrong.

(Anti-Fanboy disclaimer: The game will probably turn out fine if CDP just keep all the stuff that made TW2 great and add a bunch of open world nonsense on top. I’m actually cautiously looking forward to it.)

• PearlChoco says:

I hope it’s more like in Risen. A barren, monster infested swamp or ruin became a lively camp.

• dahools says:

Could have summed up everything you wrote in five words and saved the effort.

Is it fifteen thirtyeight yet. . . ?

6. Banks says:

I get why a lot of people are so excited about this game but… I don’t know, I cringed throughout the video.

Maybe It’s not for me.

Damien Stark says:

That doesn’t necessarily mean the game is not for you, just the trailer.

Hearken back to the days before the release of Dragon Age: Origins. Their whole marketing and trailers and posters were all like Heavy-Metal-Extreme-Dark-Sex-Scene-Gritty-Blood-Splash-Metal. It was pretty off-putting and had most people skeptical.

Then the game itself came out and was… well, an RPG. With mildly sarcastic NPCs and friendly loot vendors and colorful icony skill-trees and all the usual RPG goodness.

7. steves says:

Is it 1358 yet?
    Then fuck off!

I have no idea what that was about, but it was bloody hilarious, and reminded me of Withnail and I for some reason.

• Horg says:

”We’ve drunk some blood by mistake!”

• Railway Rifle says:

“I must have some blood. I demand to have some blood!”

• Unclepauly says:

Also “Drink with me you cocksucker!”

• Seafort says:

It was a vampire in a coffin and Geralt had opened it prematurely so the vampire was a bit annoyed :P

• DanMan says:

Did they know the word “fuck” back then? Seems out of place to me.

• Saarlaender39 says:

Wiki says: “Fuck is an English language word, an obscene word which refers to the act of sexual intercourse and is also commonly used to denote disdain or as an intensifier.
        Its origin is obscure; it is usually considered to be first attested to around 1475, >>>but may be considerably older.<<<"

• plugav says:

It’s in keeping with the spirit of the source material, though. The author of the original books is actually pretty touchy about accusations of anachronism, and stresses every chance he gets that The Witcher Saga isn’t supposed to be happening “back then,” because it’s fantasy and most of the stuff it’s about has never existed. I think his willingness to break the quasi-historical aesthetic to make the characters and dialogues more relatable is part of why his prose is so popular in his home country.

(That said, he does use an archaic Polish word for “fuck” rather than the many modern ones, and I’m pretty sure they stick to that in the Polish versions of the games.)

Plus, “back then,” in the Middle Ages, they didn’t speak Modern English at all.

• Abndn says:

Back when? This is a fantasy setting, not a medieval simulation. In the Witcher setting, they say fuck.

• misho8723 says:

Back then? ..When? Witcher world and universe isn’t ours.. their year for example 1240 isn’t the same as ours.. their current modern times could be 1380, but that doesn’t mean that year is the same as ours 1380 was.. in Witcher world they could know “fuck” maybe even from the start of civilizations.. they have different history, past, present, future.. they don’t know about dinosaurs, because they were non.. and so on..

8. Boozie says:

Yah, well, looks great n what not, but can it cast spells from your boobs?
    Cause, that is what you can do in Skyrim with a boob spell casting mod. IYah, I saw that on youtube.
    Can ya do that here, huh? Can yah?
    Nah. No boobs.

• Vandelay says:

Judging by this video, I don’t think “no boobs” is the right thing to say about this game!

Not that I am judging it based on that; this looks more like it is going down the exploitation film route of being stupid and occasionally cringy, but mostly fairly tongue in check, which The Witcher series already has form with.

• AngoraFish says:

I love the witcher, and by all accounts the game is going to be extremely moddable, but it is true to say that boob-blasters are likely out since it is not possible to select a female avatar.

• Thurgret says:

There’s Ciri. But yes, the story is primarily Geralt’s.

• Geebs says:

It’s possible that TW3’s publicity has been some sort of Metal Gear Solid 2 fake out, and actually you play as Ciri throughout the game after a prologue with Geralt on a tanker. Which would be pretty sweet, actually.

• AngoraFish says:

I would totally pay for any DLC that enables me to play the game as Ciri.

• Thurgret says:

I meant to indicate that Ciri is playable, but only for particular sections of the game, as far as I can tell.

• AngoraFish says:

Yes, “She’s part of the main quest, you see,” Monnier says. “You play her for about half an hour at a time, a couple of hours tops on and off.”, which actually implies a significantly higher level of scripting than one might have assumed from what is ostensibly an open world game. I guess that will make it easier for someone to mod her in as the main protagonist.

Damien Stark says:

Oh god, did he really work the phrase “tops on and off” into a Witcher interview?

9. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I’m not sure that the ultra-random person the article is supposedly targeting would stumble on RPS as it’s first ever gaming site, but you never know!

• anHorse says:

In fairness RPS are often on the Steam news thingies for a lot of the games I play

10. rcguitarist says:

Looks like it takes everything i liked about the witcher 2 and makes it even better. Looking forward to this one. Well, when I get the gtx 1060 video card.

• Unclepauly says:

They said the game runs smoothly at ultra settings 1080P on a GTX 980. I’m at 1440P with a 970 so it seems just dropping in another 970 is gonna be Witcher bliss.

11. E_FD says:

That gravel-voiced “Rated M… for MATURE” at the beginning was hilarious.

• Tony M says:

It really sets the tone. “This is what we think Mature means. Racism, Boobs, and a Batman Voice”.

• pepperfez says:

Just another reminder that “Mature” =/= “mature”.

• Strangerator says:

That’s the voice actor who voices Geralt, the main character.

Usually “M” means blood and boobs (sometimes simultaneously in Witcher games). However, having played the previous two games, I can say that the storylines are fairly adult in terms of complexity as well.

12. Monggerel says:

This is it.
    All of human history has led to this, this one single moment, the moment of separation.
    There is no past here to reconsider or future to reveal. Nod divine revelation. The gods and men are one because they are reduced both to nothing at all.
    There is only the absolute. The absolute from which all further threads blossom. The ones that trace lines of blood on deaf stone and the ones that fade. All of them. For you. For me, for the rest of all of us.

This is it.

Are you a bad enough Witcher to witch the shit out of some fuck?

Hurry not. The question waits for all living things, and the answer knows not time. And do drink up. Drink up! Tonight, thy soul may be required of thee.

13. fish99 says:

Is this PC footage because it doesn’t quite hold up compared with previous trailers.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

With previous i take it you mean at least 6+ months older, or even a year? But yeah, i don’t think i can believe their PR anymore, i’m pretty sure this is indeed PC stuff on Ultra, and that sucks.

Not that it ended bad looking in any way, but still.

• Unclepauly says:

The devs have stated quite a few times that ultra settings are not in the trailers as they want to save that as a surprise to players on release. Who knows if they are lying or not.

• Geebs says:

To CDPR, Ultra is like High, but with a totally pointless filtering option that no card for the next two generations can maintain more than 10 fps using. On the other hand: for an open world game in a rural setting (much harder to do than a city), this looks amazing.

• Cinek says:

That’s not Ultra. It’s Uberfiltering – an option above ultra settings.

• iniudan says:

It’s Uber Sampling, not filtering. But it indeed cause huge frame rate drop, for in Witcher 2, it make it so each frame are rendered 3 times.

It mostly just a setting to take nice looking screenshot.

• DanMan says:

I’m also a bit worried about this. The lighting and the whole compositing of the image looks a lot more generic and seen-before compared to the early trailers.

• Mr_Blastman says:

Are you seriously complaining about the graphics? Go back and play some NES or Atari 2600 games for a while. This game looks incredible. Hell, most every game these days do.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, expectations can change over time. Luckily for you it seems you found a sweetspot, but i still haven’t and i probably won’t for the foreseable future, as i like constant evolution along with a good reason to upgrade my own stuff.

Show me something better and that will be the standard to top next time, but you sure as hell shouldn’t raise the bar before you are absolutely sure that you can do it, as it happened there, because that just leaves a bitter feeling and doesn’t really help anyone.

• scannerbarkly says:

There is an uncompressed version out here that implies yes, this is absolutely PC.

link to gamersyde.com

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Thanks for that, it’s definitely refreshing to have something of blue-ray quality every once in a while, and indeed it improved things a LOT.

Still, the overall scene density seems lesser, the lighting less complex, water heavily simplified ( i think that’s one of the biggest changes ), and LOD sort of seems a little more aggressive, although the latter looks like a realistic choice with current hardware and it’s still miles away from many other titles.

I have to admit i have mixed feelings, afterall i remember the early shots and a very early trailer which is around 2 years old now ( also uncompressed ) and caught myself thinking that it would never run decently on most hardware, let alone consoles, so i’d say they simply did what they had to and the results are admittedly still great.

The trailer i’m talking about is the one in which they had the Emperor speak for the first time, back when GoT was in full swing and it turned out that they hired Tywin’s actor.

• fish99 says:

Yeah I guess it does look pretty good in that video considering.

14. suibhne says:

God almighty that narrator/narration is awful.

I’ll still be playing Day One, mind. But I hope it’s a very different game and a very different tone than suggested by this trailer.

neffo says:

It reminds me of the GTA 5 open-world trailer from a couple of years. The one with the female narrator and it’s all about the tennis and yoga, and uhh, heists. It might even be the same narrator. (I can’t seem to find it.)

15. gwathdring says:

The game looks decent enough, but … that trailer is some kind of weird masterpiece that sits perfectly on the edge of terribad and medicore. It’s not quite so bad it’s funny .. but it’s sort of right there.

• gwathdring says:

“And even racism.

• Eight Rooks says:

Surely not racism!

• Muzman says:

Now it’s just a bullet point on the feature list. In a year or two it’ll be handled by expensive proprietary middleware. That everyone is going to want. EugenFX or something.

• Tuco says:

If you really feel the urge of showing off how sophisticate and hard to satisfy you are, you can at least learn to write “mediocre” properly.

16. Morcane says:

I don’t know. It looks great, but The Witcher 1 left me totally cold and I honestly tried The Witcher 2 but didn’t dig the setting.

Is there a mental switch you have to flip in order to enjoy The Witcher’s world? I want to believe.

• Strangerator says:

You have to slow down and enjoy soaking in the world.. and actually thinking like a witcher. Combat is more preparation than execution usually. I’ve actually had times where reading a book about a certain new type of monster I’m encountering has actually helped me change tactics on how I fight. You also have to face choices you make in the world the same way. Consider what might happen, because rarely does the game telegraph the full ramifications of any choice you make. If you like to run at full tilt through games, you probably won’t enjoy Witcher games. Gotta stop and smell the… blood orgies?

17. LennyLeonardo says:

Whales!

18. montorsi says:

Kind of like TW2. It assumed you knew everything and was an impenetrable abomination. That a shitshow like that could make it through QA is breathtaking. I’ll take TW3 for a fiver, thanks.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Wasn’t “Impenetrable Abomination” the name of the first boss monster?
      I love how the Witcher games are so divisive. Shows they’re doing something right. Also whales.

• Cinek says:

“It assumed you knew everything and was an impenetrable abomination”? What? I never played TW1 before completing TW2 and at no point I felt like I needed to know anything that wasn’t explained in the game itself.

Let me guess – you are one of those people that refuse to read and remember anything aside from vague sketch of the main plot and mission at hand?

• Tuco says:

@Cinek: That’s because it didn’t at all.
        People apparently love to blame some games/stories of being “cryptic and obscure” and “requiring tons of previous knowledge” just because it’s a more self-indulgent approach than admitting they have the attention span of a ferret.

I’ve read that complaint so many times especially about TW2 (“It required you to know everything about the previous books”) and yet I played it without any knowledge of these and at NO POINT during the game I ever got the impression that the situations unfolding in front of my eyes required anything more than some deduction about what was implied about some characters were interacting.

Incidentally, I’m reading the books right now and in retrospective I can tell you that if you read them you’ll grasp even more references, but still… Nothing I actually needed. You can absolutely go through the plot with just the information the game gives to you without missing anything critical.

19. zat0ichi says:

Looking forward to this.

20. ribby says:

4:28 the most realistic fantasy?

Haha guys I watched the video.,… You’re not fooling anyone by saying this game is realistic!

21. zat0ichi says:

might as well mention Kingdom Come: Deliverance and Cyberpunk 2077 about now.

22. Muzman says:

I’m going to post what I wrote before that somehow disappeared.

Is this going to be the way of things for trailers now? Sort of a teleporter accident between a Totalgym infomercial, a car advert and a cruise liner ‘video brochure’?
    I don’t know, I just don’t know.

23. Kempston Wiggler says:

“Gather ERBs….”

Alright, Amercia. Whatever we did to you, we take it back. Now please stop mangling simple words. Herbs has an ‘aitch’ at the front!

Wow, this looks amazing. I haven’t finished 1 or even started 2 but I might leap-frog them both and dive into this one. Looks bloody fantastic!

24. PostieDoc says:

I hate the word rad.
    I’m not sure why but it really gets on my nerves.

25. Mr_Blastman says:

I wish they’d fix the Witcher 2 issues with quadraphonic sound. What’s the issue? It doesn’t work. At all. If you have four speakers you’re forced to play in stereo or you can’t even hear people talking when you turn the camera so they are behind you.

26. MultiVaC says:

The Witcher 3 is a truly next-generation experience featuring:

-4K Resolution
    -Multithreaded Religious Fanaticism
    -Bokeh Filtered Depth Of Field
    -Object Based Motion Blur
    -64-bit Supersampled War Crimes
    -Nvidia PhysX
    -DX11 Tesselation
    -Hardware Accelerated Racism

zigguratvertigo says:

It’s nice to hear the theme from the first Witcher again. The soundtrack to that game was one of its best features.

28. Railway Rifle says:

The idea of seeing the world become more settled and civilised as you clear clear out monsters and people move into their spaces sounds particularly interesting.