Kitty Konquest: Meet Age of Wonders III’s Cat People

Tiddleskhamun

I’d have called this expansion Eternalords rather than Eternal Lords if I were them. Saves space. Saves a space. Sounds like an obscure French comic from the late 80s. Same name as someone who writes fanfic about K-pop girl groups. It’s all good. But no, Eternal Lords it is, which is reflective of our only real complaint about fantasy 4x Age of Wonders III: it wasn’t hugely adventurous. It is, however, highly competent and rich with things to explore, build and fight, so news of a second major and perhaps slightly wilder expansion is purely good news. And it’s got cat people in it.

Not these cat people, more’s the pity:

But these cat people, who what they might lack in Bowie and Kinski make up for with chariots and pyramids and headresses. They’re Egyptian-themed, y’see. Here’s 27 minutes of them trying to achieve the new Unifier Victory:

Also new for the expansion are necromancers, Frostlings, a new campaign, more granular race relations and ‘Cosmic Happenings’, which I think should be a staple feature of all patch notes. Here’s the expansion announce trailer if you missed it a few weeks ago:

And here’s the Necromancer and Frostlings do their necrotic, frosty thing:

All told it does look like it’ll make AOW3 a little wilder, which is what it most needed. I only dabbled due to time shortages, but quite tempted to wade in properly for this. Mostly because of the cat people, yes.

Age of Wonders III: Eternalords is out on April 14th, FYI.

Grizzly says:

Wing Commander had the best cat people, and I have nothing but fur for those who tell me otherwise!

• Zenicetus says:

Best in a game, fur sure. Although a pretty blatant ripoff of Niven’s Kilrathi cats.

• Bluestormzion says:

The Kilrathi were the guys from Wing Commander. If you’re talking about Larry Niven, and the Ringworld universe, those guys were the Kzinti, I believe. Hell of a coincidence, as I’d read Ringworld years ago and it just popped up in my memory yesterday for the first time in years.

• cptgone says:

Although Stardrive II has no cat people, it does introduce the bear-like Kulrathi.
          One can only hope for a DLC, adding the missing heirs to MoO’s Mrrshan.

• Zenicetus says:

Right, I meant to type Kzinti… hah! Show’s ‘ya how much they’ve been conflated in my mind after all these years. I should read the Ringworld series again, and there are also a few good stories in the Man-Kzin war novels and novellas.

2. jasta85 says:

Really like how they did the necromancer class, giving you the ability to raise enemy units from the dead and keep them. This potentially allows a necro to have an army with units from every other class given time

• Horg says:

It’s a much more interesting take on the undead than previous iterations of AoW, and a good balance to the difficulty of healing undead units.

3. Tiax says:

Wtf this new “Share this” above each article? It’s awful, do I have to be a supporter to remove them or what?

• Neurotic says:

Thanks for pointing them out, I hadn’t even noticed until you did. Probably won’t notice again!

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, these help people to share articles from rps, which helps rps to get more attention. You don’t have to use those if you don’t want to. I honestly don’t see the big problem here.

• edwardh says:

But this very common thing is usually done in a less obnoxious way. I’ve never seen it implemented in such an obtrusive fashion as here.

• Sinky says:

If you are seeing each link on a separate line press shift-f5 to reload. They are supposed to be small buttons.

• AngoraFish says:

Tragically, NoScript leaves them as extremely obtrusive, large double spaced lines. I’m not clear why they can’t be at the bottom of the article instead of right up top on the header. Surely one normally only decides that something is worth sharing after actually reading the article through to the bottom…

• LionsPhil says:

Oh hey, that fixes the mangled top header too. Figured it might have been cached CSS; weird that it was given the server seems to be sending ETags correctly.

• JayG says:

The Share this thingy on the top and bottom of the articles is often bigger then the articles themselves for me. And on the front page takes up half the space. Hideous.

artrexdenthur says:

Thanks for that, Sinky!
            I’ll just point out for anyone else having issues that it took me a couple presses of shift+f5 to get it to “take”. It’s of course possible I mispressed the first time, but still.

• JackMultiple says:

OMG, thanks for reminding me! On the Apple iPad 4 this site is most hideous now. That “share this” junk spreads about 5″ down the page from every headline… really dislike it.

• jrodman says:

Their unrendered form is indeed awful. The icon-form is okay.

• JayG says:

Thanks, seems to be fixed. That share thing was overpowering.

4. Neurotic says:

But what does Adam want to call it?

5. Jockie says:

I thought RPS hated cat people, or was that just Jim?

I’m looking forward to this, my favourite strategy game of last year and a proper sized expansion. It’s maybe a little bit safer than something like Endless Legend, but for me, that doesn’t stop it from being a far superior game

6. XhomeB says:

KITTENZ!
    Definitely getting this – loved AoW3, the addition of Frostlings, Necromancers and Cats will be a cherry on top.

7. int says:

This is a good thing, you bastets!

8. cpt_freakout says:

‘Cosmic Happenings’ and Egyptian cat-people – this should’ve been called the New Age expansion with an Achieve Total Psychedelics victory condition

9. Voqar says:

IMO AOW3 is an excellent game with possibly the best tactical combat for the style of game ever. It just takes an eternity to play thru a game of it so I only play it here and there – just have too many games and too much backlog. I think I’m addicted to buying games as I am playing them. /twitch

Phasma Felis says:

Oh hey, I remember these guys from AoW2. Their basic ranged unit, where most races have an archer or something, was instead a cat-dude who could throw fireballs, for some reason. This sounded awesome until you realized there were way more units with resistance/immunity to fire than to physical.

11. Sian says:

Well, it’s a step up from Halflings. Then again, everything is a step up from Halflings.