The RPS Bargain Bucket: You Orc To Hear This

I’m a seething ball of impatience this weekend, guys. Next week, I get to be on a press release. On a press release. Not writing one, not writing about one, but actually functioning as content on someone’s press release. It isn’t particularly Big News, but it is, at the very least, Moderately Sized News. Pardon me while I snoopy dance. In the meantime, have some bargains in a bucket. And a heart-warming story from the owner of this week’s plushie aka Andrew Wheeler. His ferocious orc, it would seem, was purchased before he and his girlfriend could move in together. He ventured far and wide to find an orc that wasn’t very typical, before having something delivered from Etsy. Charmingly, the doll maker included the custom-built helmet you saw without being asked to do so.

Goat Simulator
$3.39/£2.32/€3.20
Goat Simulator. Man, Goat Simulator. What is there to be said about Goat Simulator that has not already been said? It’s a beautiful, broken mess of a game with deliberately wonky physics and a madness that makes Bloodborne seem downright sober. You play as a goat, obviously. A people-licking, wild-eyed goat who sometimes finds herself doing impossible things like summoning the devil. Or something. It feels like the world is evenly split between those who like Goat Simulator, and those who don’t. Where do you belong? (Amazon has strict ideas about who can purchase their games. But, if you make an account and use an American mailing address, it should be all good.)

Guild Wars 2
$10/£6.83/€9.45
If you’re sick of vertical progression and the breathless, endless climb towards end game, Guild Wars 2 might be the game for you. Especially given the most recent rash of updates and changes to the game. Either way, it remains a gorgeous MMO with interesting enough mechanics, an interesting enough Living Story, and the best cat-cow people this side of the digital divide. I haven’t played the game in a long time, so I can’t offer you an incisive blurb. But there are RockPaperShotgun-eers who still play, and you should play with them. (Introduce yourselves, lads and lasses!)

Pay What You Want 10 Anniversary Bundle
Beat $4.96/£3.39/€4.69 to get all the games
Has the Mac Game Store really been around for 10 years? Huh. Who knew? While some of the games from this digital distribution platform have been, in the past, compatible with PC usage, I make no guarantees here. Nonetheless, I’m no miser with space. Plus, the Pay What You Want Anniversary Bundle is also funneling some amount of cash into a good cause. The games also get a nod of moderate approval from me. I loved Night of the Rabbit, enjoyed Among the Sleep, was rabidly fond of Torchlight II and have varying degrees of non-hate for the rest.

Grand Theft Auto V
$29.28/£20.01/€27.66
Grand Theft Auto V is the story on every PC gamer’s lips, and for good reason! It was what all the console gamers were raving about last year. And finally, it’s on the verge of being ours. Pre-orders are ugly business, but if you desperately want to pick up the game soon instead of, you know, in another six months: Nuuvem’s probably got the cheapest pre-order thingamabob right now. Have at it, if that’s your speed. (Be certain to have Hola handy in order to get around region-blocking weirdness. I know last week, there were a number of folk who wasn’t quite acquainted with the process.)

Also of note

Dynamite Comic Bundle – $12/£8.20/€11.34
More games? Nah, man. Comics. Say hello to Storybundle’s first comic bundle. It’s a doozy. We’ve got a myriad of interesting titles, ranging from perennial favorites like Red Sonja to Game of Thrones to Bob’s Burgers and .. wait, Bob’s burgers? Why not, I suppose? I’d have loved for there to be more complete collections. But that seems to be a trend with these bundles: to present a teaser, in order to encourage further purchases. Alas. Capitalism.

Civilization V: The Complete Edition – $12/£8.20/€11.34
An awkward need to defend my choices compels me to say, “This was a lot cheaper not too long ago, you know?” Unfortunately, the discount has migrated from an elegant 84% to a not-terrible-but-not-jaw-dropping 76%. That said, it’s still a good price for this lovely game, which may or may not have consumed a variety of people I know.

1. Scott says:

‘But htere are RockPaperShotgun-eers who still play, and you should play with them. (Introduce yourselves, lads and lasses!)’

Yarrr! We be Rock Paper Signet and we play on the EU side of the game. We’re still really active and you can check out some more info over on the forum: link to rockpapershotgun.com! We’re happy to take new people – whether you’ve been playing for years or just started this weekend.

2. Kempston Wiggler says:

Cardboard Children: Digital Grandchildren

I just bought the digital versions of Talisman and Smallworld from the Humble Weekly Bundle. Been wanting Talisman for ages. Happy now. :)

• kiwi12 says:

took a look at talisman and bought it. rly nice game^^ too bad it wasnt the complete edition, after 2 games i already know all adventure cards :P still a lot of fun

3. Pich says:

Actually, Guild Wars 2 is also 10 bucks in euroland, no conversion rate :/ . BTW is it a good game for casual play? i don’t have much free time anymore.

• Arathain says:

It is perfect for casual play. No sub, so play whenever you want, but without intrusive free-to-play nonsense either.* It scales content to the number of players without requiring formal grouping. You get XP for doing just about anything. Log in when you want, do what you want. All this with extremely high production values.

*Microtransactions are present, but not intrusive at all.

• Scott says:

Yeah, I’d say so. It’s very nicely paced and you can pretty much do whatever you want after the tutorial. A lot of the endgame content (sPvP and WvW) actually upscales you to maximum level anyway. I’m an officer in the RPS guild and play around 10 hours a week at the moment at the very maximum. That’s not to say that the guild is inactive; we have loads of people online, but also understand that the members have lives.

• LionsPhil says:

Hrrm. The link just goes into an infinite redirect loop here.

• Rikard Peterson says:

Same here. Maybe because we’re outside the US? (I notice “en_US” in the link.)

• Rikard Peterson says:

Edit (but in a new post): Yes, going to buy.guildwars2.com gives me the url link to buy.guildwars2.com , which is working.

And there it’s €10 – I assume the non-dollar numbers in the article are conversions of the USD equivalent rather than what’s actually payed. Not a big difference, but wouldn’t it be better to only list actual prices and let us figure out the conversions ourselves? That would make it clear which prices you’ve looked at, and would make more sense in this world of regional pricing. (I.e. if you only have the dollar price, I suggest that you only list that. Write other currencies only when you know that the store has regional differences, and you know what the other prices are.)

• Rikard Peterson says:

I mean “paid”, of course. I thought something looked weird when I wrote “payed”, but the spell checker didn’t pick up on it, and I didn’t figure it out until the moment when I hit the button.

• LionsPhil says:

Their site is spectacularly broken, because I tried going to the top-level guildwars2.com and follow its own buy links, and it must have remembered the wrong location from the RPS link or something. It now seems to be wedged on en_IE from yours (rather than the en_GB I would expect to match their main site), won’t show prices (“BUY FOR (blank)”), fills the browser console with random logging error trace and CORS failures, and if I dare click on one of the buy links I am told my basket is empty on a page where if you scroll down it flickers in height, resetting the scrollbar.

It’s like a game unto itself in finding all the various ways they’ve failed to make a simple e-commerce site in 2015, and I haven’t even begun to get near anything like payment. I don’t think I want to find out how they screw that up.

• Pich says:

^yeah it did the same for me, try opening it with Chrome

• defunct says:

I played it for a while. There IS lots to do. Too much for a person like me. I got overwhelmed. The daily quest I would try to do every day no matter how much time I had and I wound up spending too much time in game. The jumping games to get to certain areas I found too difficult for my old hands and I wound up getting frustrated because I would repeatedly fail. Finding a polite guild of casual people that would help you when you really really needed it was too much, of course. They’re casual. So I walked away. Before I went bonkers. I tried going back recently, but failed utterly. I saw the daily and weekly waiting for me and freaked out.

4. mechabuddha says:

GW2 is very casual. You can solo virtually the entire main game, no problem. You can also play with a friend easily, but there’s no need to do so. There are only 5 or so dungeons, which are still doable even with random pick-up-groups. There isn’t a huge grind for super powerful gear, it mostly becomes cosmetic once you hit max level.

5. aliksy says:

Is there a US branch of the RPS GW2 guild? My old guild is pretty inactive, and I don’t want to join any random guild for fear of unpleasant sorts. I pretty much just want to do the guild events and maybe some casual stuff on the side.

• defunct says:

I wouldn’t mind knowing this, either. I might try again if I had a guild to come to.

6. Rikard Peterson says:

I’m intrigued by you describing yourself as doing a Snoopy dance. I see Schultz illustration as a an abstract representation of Joy and Dance (yes, with capital letters). How do you translate that to the real world? Or am I perhaps reading you too literally? If you just meant it as a way to describe your feelings, it worked perfectly. I can relate 100%.

7. fish99 says:

So is everyone now doing this HOLA unblocking thing? Is there no risk?

• godgoo says:

Obviously I haven’t actually played GTA V yet but my Nuuvem code worked without any VPN etc as far as activating with rockstar and preloading, I would have thought any region locked stuff would of kicked in when I activated the code.

• phelix says:

What kind of wizardry do I have to perform to bypass the region limit? What is HOLA?

phuzz says:

OK, took me a few minutes to work out so here’s how to get it working.
      First, go to https://secure.nuuvem.com.br and create a login. (I just guessed what the Portuguese meant)
      Next go to Hola and install the plugin.
      Go back to Nuuvem and activate the Hola plugin, and make it pretend you’re in Brazil, and add GTAV to your basket.
      Then deactivate the Hola plugin, and go through the checkout process (more Portuguese guessing).
      Then go to Rockstar and add the code to your rockstar social club account (yes you have to have one, sorry), then download the installer.

• Vandelay says:

Strange, I was for some reason under the impression that Hola was a paid for service. I had stuck with Media Hint for access American streaming sites, even when they started charging. May have to give Hola a go to see how well it compares (Hulu seemed a little slow to load up when I just tried it, but the video seemed to stream fine.)

• malkav11 says:

I think they were at one time. I have no idea what their business model is now but it doesn’t seem obtrusive.

• Ormu says:

I managed to buy the game, but I’m I supposed to see the Rockstar Social Club code there already? I’m regretting this Nuuvem shenanigans already.

• defunct says:

I’ve never had a problem with Nuveem in the past. They’re a reliable site, so I don’t believe you should be worried.

• TheRaptorFence says:

Huh. I was able to buy GTA V and got a confirmation from both Nuuvem and Paypal, but haven’t been given a code. Where the activation key is normally is supposed to be it says “Pre-order, release on 04.14.2015.” Yet it seems people have gotten their codes already

Is anybody else getting this? Or am I missing something?

• JiminyJickers says:

With any VPN, the risk is that they have access to all your web browsing traffic. I would personally never use a VPN that I didn’t set up myself.

phuzz says:

As far as I can tell Hola aren’t messing with HTTPS traffic, so as long as the site you’re browsing has implemented SSL properly you should be ok.

• jrodman says:

How do you mean, when it’s on or when it’s off?

If you don’t trust VPN software when it’s off, then you should look at things differently and realize you’ve installed software you don’t trust on your computer, giving it access to everything you do and type on the computer, not just your browser traffic.

If you mean a service you simply configure your browser to talk to, then that makes more sense to me. Why do people need a VPN when a web proxy will do?

• defunct says:

While true, A LOT more people have access to your web information than one company when you don’t use a vpn. Do you trust all of them? I don’t, but I also don’t use a vpn.

• jrodman says:

It’s about the same, really.

Without a VPN: Your DNS provider knows what domains you’re accessing. Over HTTP a lot of people can see the traffic, while over HTTPS, most can’t. All the crap the website uses with advert networks and “plugins” and “frameworks” can see what domains you’re traversing, at least by IP, and probably by tracking objects.

With a VPN: Your VPN provider knows what domains you’re acessing. HTTP-over-vpn lets the VPN provider see the traffic and anyone betwen the vpn and the hoster see it too. HTTPS-over-vpn most can’t see anything as above. All the crap the website uses with advert networks and “plugins” and “frameworks can see what domains you’re traversing, while not by IP, probably by tracking objects.

So overall the difference isn’t very big. If you don’t want to be tracked you should use the torbrowser. Personally I don’t go that far, so I use https everywhere, filter out all the tracking domains with ghostery and such, and just skip over sites that refuse to work without jquery.org and so forth. Though that’s becoming onerous. No one cares about privacy or security, it’s kind of sad.

8. RealWeaponX says:

Probably worth pointing out that the Nuuvem GTA V does not register on Steam – it’s R* Social Club only, if that matters to you.

• Vorrin says:

oh harsh, just bought it, and just saw this, and it does kind of matter to me, so yeah, I’d have liked for that to be pointed out in the article -_- .
      Thanks for the heads up!

• RealWeaponX says:

I nearly made the same mistake, but for once hit the translate button :/

Still, at least you got the game for half the price it is everywhere else.

• fish99 says:

Weird how few of the places selling GTAV are selling the Steam version, it’s almost all the R* Social Club version, and that includes the boxed versions. Only guys with the Steam version are the dodgy key resellers. I guess R* decided to largely cut Valve out, which they’re entitled to do, but I wonder how many people don’t realize.

• Ormu says:

Oh dear, that really sucks. Just bought it and then I read this.

• jrodman says:

I don’t see the value in a bargain bucket article that leads to problems like this. Then again, I’m not one to preorder or buy new games in general, so perhaps it’s speaking to a different audience from me.

• malkav11 says:

The problem is that Rockstar is trying to run their own distribution platform. Nobody but Steam is selling the Steam version of GTA V and that fact has been widely known for months now. It sucks, but your choices are either a good price on the game (and downloading direct from Rockstar), or paying $60 or your local equivalent on Steam. So it’s totally appropriate to list the best available price, and it’s the buyer’s choice whether they want that or the game on Steam. Myself, I don’t want to pay $60 and I want the game on Steam, so I’m waiting.

• jrodman says:

And it’s ALSO appropriate to mention an issue like this in an article like this. This article is supposed expertise. I can do searches myself.

• tehfish says:

Probably a stupid question, but just checking:
      I understand this GTAV link is non-steam, but will it play online okay with uk steam-brought versions? Non-steam is a mild annoyance, but it’s the MP that’s important for me here :)

• malkav11 says:

AFAIK all the actual multiplayer connectivity is handled through Rockstar’s Social Club for either version.

• tehfish says:

Thanks :)

Now halfway through the impressively enormous download :P

9. Jalan says:

Looks like a custom Minion from Despicable Me with twigs for arms and a Skyrim helmet.

• thedosbox says:

I’m going to be “dat guy” and point out that minions are yellow.

• Jalan says:

I’m going to be “dat other guy” and point out that I did specify “custom” in my initial comment.

• Jalan says:

Also, I guess I gotta point out that if you factor in the PX-41 Minions from Despicable Me 2 then the color argument becomes a bit flimsy. Either way, I stand by my observation.

• caff says:

Love this pic. Best bargain bucketing plushy so far.

• Jalan says:

I think it’s also one of (if not the first) to be featured where you can’t really tell if it is in a bucket or not (at least, definitively from visual alone). For all we know, it could be a small plastic trash bin.

• caff says:

I’ve been checking out the rim carefully (ooer) and it definitely seems thick enough for a bucket. But then it’s a dark bucket. Maybe it’s a plant pot?

10. Miltrivd says:

Metal Gear Solis V: Ground Zeroes is also with a deep discount in Nuuvem (6-7 US deers or so), for the ones that have waited to try this but didn’t want to join the whole 20 bucks for a short prologue (like me :V)

• Jalan says:

Part of me wishes I had bought that instead of the Mac anniversary bundle. Either way I would’ve come up with 1 game I currently didn’t already own. Ah well.

• welverin says:

It’s only short if you ignore content and aren’t interested in trying out different approaches or improving you rankings.

While you can definitely laze through it, there’s a lot more to it than most people acknowledge.

11. AbsoluteShower says:

So, what’s the verdict on Nuuvem? It must be ok if it keeps popping up on RPS, I’d assume?

• Wulfram says:

They’re legitimate sellers, but not supposed to be selling outside of South America.

• Jalan says:

They can sell outside of their given region. Not sure what all that “not supposed to” stuff is – unless there’s an actual law expressly forbidding them from doing so.

• Llewyn says:

“Not supposed to” is down to the contracts them signing with suppliers being on the basis of them selling within their own region. This is why Nuuvem are taking steps to try to prevent overseas customers buying certain products from them – it keeps them in compliance with the contracts they’ve signed.

• Wulfram says:

Well, their “termo de uso” says

“Você também confirma estar situado na América do Sul, onde a Nuuvem possui direito de distribuição digital sobre os games em seu catálogo.”

which google’s gnomes translate as

“You also confirms be located in South America, where Nuuvem own right digital distribution on the games in your catalog”

12. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Not a bargain but pretty well priced – GOG got Afterlife this week.
    The LucasArts management game that nobody ever talk about (?).

• April March says:

Richard Cobbett talked about afterlife.
      Richard Cobbett is not afraid to talk about anything.
      link to pcgamer.com

• LionsPhil says:

Oh wow. I’m seven minutes into that YouTube embed of the tutorial and I can see why this one was quietly forgotten.

• TWChristine says:

Oh wow I remember that game… not that I ever played it, but I remember seeing it and thinking perhaps at some point I would look more into it; and never did.

• malkav11 says:

I really liked Afterlife, but mostly for the writing and personality it showed. I was never actually able to create a financially functional afterlife no matter how hard I tried. I guess I don’t think Richard was wrong when he suggested it was a missed opportunity, and I’d certainly love to see a less…obtuse and finance oriented approach to the subject material. But man, those building descriptions…

13. Dare_Wreck says:

It’s worth pointing out that this is at least the third bundle that Dynamite has been involved with that contained just about the same selection of comics. Humble Bundle was most recent, preceded by (if memory serves me correctly), Groupees.

14. Orix says:

Loving the MacWorld bundle. RealMyst, Torchlight2 and Among the Sleep are all worth the cost alone. The other adventure games also look quite interesting.

FYI, you get Steam keys for all games, meaning that all games in the bundle work on PC. Not Mac exclusive by any means.

• Jalan says:

The Steam icons beneath the games were a dead giveaway there.

Though it’s strange they didn’t offer the non-DRM version of Torchlight II. I guess Humble has a semi-exclusive claim to it.

• defunct says:

I’d like to point out that the Windows icon should have been a dead give away as well. It’s listed even before the Steam icon and leaves absolutely no doubt that it works on Windows.

• GeorgeTheJournalist says:

Could you point me in the right direction to this bundle, dear sir/madam? Google search yields naught for me T-T

• GeorgeTheJournalist says:

Ok, nevermind, should’ve followed the link in the article..! X_x

15. fish99 says:

There’s an even better deal on GTAV for £16 using GreenmanGaming (china) and again needing hola or other VPN. I’ll let you look it up on hotukdeals if you’re interested rather than post a link (just search gta and you’ll see it). While the codes everyone is getting are registering on R* social club and the game is downloading, there’s still a small risk that when it comes time to launch the game, some final activation will fail and the codes will turn out to be region locked (same with the nuuvem ones). So use at your own risk.

• tehfish says:

I tried that one, couldn’t get it to work (GMG removes the item from the basket when you login or create an account :/ ) Went with the £20 nuuvem deal in the end.