Now You See It: Kieru’s Monochromatic Ninja Multiplayer

Fans of Obscure Gera Facts will know I’m a big supporter of experimental multiplayer design, which is why when you first glance at Kieru I kindly ask you not to glaze over because it basically looks identical to MadWorld.

The game is heavily stylised, but it’s all for the sake of a really neat gameplay concept. “Kieru’s world is monochrome, as are the two teams of stealthy Ninjas who occupy it,” reads a block of text from the game developers, the little Aussie collective Pine Fire Studios. “A black Ninja in shadow or a white Ninja in the light are completely invisible to their oblivious opponents. Stealth, deception and sudden, surprise aggression will win the day.”

It’s a really interesting experiment in aesthetic as game mechanic, and even just watching the trailer makes me cross-eyed. I like games that require their players to adapt to them, and in Kieru’s case it seems as if you’ll be trained to react to colour and shadow – two things that are traditionally irrelevant for most games – in completely new ways.

From this site

1. Monchberter says:

Wow. They’ve made the Samurai Jack game I always wanted. Clearly this episode is a huge influence.

Samurai Jack vs the Shinobi Shadow Warrior: link to youtu.be

2. klops says:

Samurai Jack: Samurai vs. the Ninja – the Game!

Dorga says:

Mmm so basically is the same as this one: link to chambaragame.com

Dorga says:

*it’s
      damn you missing edit button

• Hypocee says:

Good catch, although this is a little more stylised, team-based and not obligately splitscreen.

Generally, this is super-cool. Could be an entire sub-genre, I imagine. Octopus Deathmatch, they’d be called.

4. Wulfram says:

Duochromatic, surely

• Kaeoschassis says:

In fact not.

“Monochrome describes paintings, drawings, design, or photographs in one color or shades of one color. A monochromatic object or image has colors in shades of limited colors or hues. Images using only shades of grey (with or without black and/or white) are called grayscale or black-and-white.”

So I guess it’s just “black and white”, which has much less of a ring to it. Oh well.

On a lighter note (haha!) this does look jolly interesting, possibly even fun once you get past having absolutely no idea what’s going on. I say more power to ’em.

5. bill says:

Seems like a great idea, and looks very cool in the frozen-rotated camera shot.

But I’m a bit worried it’d be really frustrating to play… if you keep losing track of your target every 2 seconds it’s going to be really disorienting and broken up.
    I guess that’s what the blood is for, but that’d only help in limited situations.