Here’s When GTA 5 Unlocks For PC

Suckle at my facts, news fans. Rockstar has rolled down its reflective Rolls Royce windows to whisper out a release time for Grand Theft Auto 5‘s launch on PC.

Rockstar tweeted the launch times for the digital release today, which is the same for both Rockstar Warehouse and Steam. GTA 5 [official site] can be pre-loaded right now to those who bought the game ahead of launch.

In the meantime you can check out Adam’s ode to the series over here. He writes: “I wanted to play Grand Theft Auto so much that I tried to make it in 1995, two years before DMA Design would release the first stage of their hot coffee quaffing, kill frenzy, controversy-generating cultural phenemonon. From that earliest incarnation, it wasn’t the violence, drugs and sex (was there any top-down sex in the original? I have no memory of even a drive-by allusion but I’m almost certainly wrong) that drew me in – it was the titular act. I wanted to steal cars.”

And that’s why Adam is in jail now.

1. nu1mlock says:

Yeah, that tweet is from two days ago.

• IcyBee says:

This game is nearly two years old.
      And it costs £40.
      I’ll wait for it to be 3 years old and £10.

• Greggh says:

This reply seemed (structurally) like RPS Spam-bots

• Rizlar says:

You won’t Believe this one cool trick for saving £££’s by waiting a year for stuff to go on Sale! my Mum made £78.64p from buying Borderlands 2 goaty last week………. [insert dodgy link]

• Chiron says:

I used to spend £££’s on fresh milk but he’res one trick I learnt the Supermarkets don’t want you to know! I saved £90.34 a YEAR! Just by drinking milk out of the SKIP!

I’m dead now, but fuck the man!

• Oooch says:

I’m fairly sure that those dodgy links are RPS’s own links because they put absolutely NO effort into removing them

• nu1mlock says:

It is available for £20 from Nuuvem though. Not quite £10 yet but not that far from it either.

• RealWeaponX says:

But not for Steam, for those who like to keep all our toys in one box as much as possible.

• Neutrino says:

“Not for Steam”.

Even better!

• Mokinokaro says:

Not sure if Rockstar’s dodgy social club thing really is any better than Steam. The whole thing seems rather uPlay-ish.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

This game is brand new, there are rumors circulating the interwebz that there used to be something similar for X360/PS3, but i bet it’s a lie.

I mean, it couldn’t even be modded, seriously.

I’m pretty excited for this game to finally come out for the first time.

• Mokinokaro says:

Modding might be extremely limited in GTA V PC because of the seamless online play. At the very least a modded singleplayer game is probably going to force you to play offline until you uninstall said mods.

• noodlecake says:

No. The last gen console version is 3 years old. This version is brand new, and has almost definitely had a huge team working on it for a good while. I totally understand the £40 price tag. I’m sure if they released it at £15 they wouldn’t have been able to justify the cost of all the special PC exclusive improvements.

• instantcoffe says:

The kool-aid is strong with that one.

• SquidgyB says:

Either the kool-aid is strong…

…or he’s been reading up on the preliminary reports from games magazines/the general internet. By all means, it could be whitewashed propaganda, but the brief foray I’ve had into google this morning had me thinking that the general consensus it “good god that’s pretty” and that there are many, many PC specific options and tweaks.

Sounds like a good port to me.

edna says:

The game is quite old
        In time it will be older
        And also cheap

• mechabuddha says:

I don’t read RPS for breaking gaming news, because they’re often at best a day behind. I read RPS for the reviews and clever writing, which I find more useful and far more entertaining then any other site.

2. briananoriega29 says:

I cant wait until this Tuesday for this game to be released on pc im gonna live stream the first day gameplay so come check it out at
    link to twitch.tv

3. virtualmatrix258 says:

I really hope the reviews drop tomorrow. Performance reports mean everything for this title after GTA IV.

• Siimon says:

“For PC players who lack the hardware to fully exploit GTA V’s 4K capabilities Rockstar assures me 1080p is achievable with average specifications, and that the game is optimised to look and perform well on a wide range of machines.”

“The low-end of the spectrum, 1080p at 60fps, you’ll only need a Nvidia GTX 660 2GB or AMD HD7870 2GB”

“Running GTA V at 4K and 30fps will require a large step up from the GTX 660. According to Hoarse, gamers will need a GTX 760 with 2GB of RAM to run GTA V at 4K. However, if you want to play GTA V at 4K and 60fps, Rockstar suggests an SLI or Crossfire setup”

Above quoted from PC Gamer; they in turn got the info from Kevin Hoare, president of Rockstar Toronto.

• Hedgeclipper says:

They didn’t check it with a reliable source?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Also, i saw a screenshot in PCgamer of the graphic options in which they pretty much maxed everything, added a bit of MSAA, another bit of FXAA on top AND it was set at 4K, the VRAM estimate counter was sitting at around 4 GB which sounds reasonable.

By my estimates a solid 1440p with almost everything in shouldn’t break 3 GB, and 1080p is going to be easier aswell to the point of being kind to any 2GB card.

That’s at least when it comes to VRAM capping, i can’t speak of computing grunt needed as i’d need to play it and i sure can’t trust those who claim that it’s “smooth” with X or Y, as “smooth” means a dozen different things to different people.

Then again, PCG claims it can run “at 60 fps (???)” on 4k with a Titan or so, which means that even if they are a little on the optimistic side it’s also a true that we are looking at a decently optimized game at the very least. I expect most of the problems to come up with the draw/traffic distance sliders on max, but whatever happens it seems certain that we aren’t looking at the trainwreck that was GTA4, so there’s that.

• SquidgyB says:

60fps at 4k on a Titan? I’ll believe it when I see it (g-sync will help immensely in keeping things smooth I suspect), but if that holds up I’m going to be a very, very happy chappy.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The screenshot i saw had showed the usual RAM usage meter that GTA4 also had, and the maximum was 6gb hence i assumed it was a Titan, but that was an Rockstar’s internal screenshot and i don’t really remember what PCG claimed when it comes to that framerate.

If they played on the LPC they might have been without SLI support and hence we’re still looking at a single Titan, or probably they just used something else and they simply meant a Titan X.

My point was mostly that as optimistic as they might have been, we’re not looking at a turd like GTA4, which is i guess is the most important part.

• pepperfez says:

It seems weird that they jump straight from 760 to multi-card absurdity.

• Shadow says:

I find it weirder that they seem to think performance depends entirely on your graphics card. I have a 760, but 8 gigs of RAM and an aging Phenom II processor. I very much doubt I’d be able to run the game at 4K. Provided I had a 4K monitor to begin with.

1920×1080 continues to be more than enough for me, thankfully.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, the GPU is the biggest thing especially if you want to step up your resolution.

Let’s just hope the game is properly multithreaded, that way even a phenom might do the trick. I found the biggest problem with aging ( especially if not overclocked ) CPUs to show up when a game relies far too heavily on just 1-2 cores, usually oversaturating it for the lack of horsepower.

The new CPUs are mostly needed only when you need to overpower with sheer brute force such games, and thankfully those are just a few.

• gunny1993 says:

Well they probably assume everyone has an I5 by now, which only ever bottlenecks on poorly optimized games
            Cpus just don’t get used that much on game due to them never using the proper amount of cores.

• noodlecake says:

Holy shit. The low end of the spectrum is pretty hardcore. I guess I’ll have to settle at 1080p at 20fps with a low draw distance. Boooooo.

4. Monggerel says:

That man is staring the future right in the eye and does not blink. I can respect that.

• phelix says:

Unless your first language is Hebrew or Arabic, in which case he is looking into the past.

• Monggerel says:

gotta admit, I giggled a little

• Shadow says:

Well, most technically speaking, we’re always looking into the past, it occurred to me. When you look at the night sky, you see the stars as they were X years ago, where X is the distance to them in light years.

The same happens basically everywhere: even looking across the street or your work buddy next to you, you’re getting an image a tiny fraction of a milisecond older than the exact present. It is for all intents and purposes the present, but technically it isn’t, as light never travels instantaneously.

/randomnerdness

• Windows98 says:

And if you take this line of reasoning far enough, you realise that there is no “present moment”.

5. OmNomNom says:

I love the GTA games and I have managed to basically ignore GTA V for the last 1.5 years as it hasn’t been on PC (if it’s not on PC then it may as well not exist).

Can’t wait!

6. April March says:

This is not that useful. Real useful would have been, ‘this is when GTAV will be 75% off’.

• Bull0 says:

Christmas.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Christmas 2019, yes.

• Voqar says:

Not that interested and can never figure out why people are so into this game – it’s so much hype and that’s about it. If I ever buy it, it’ll be when it’s heavily on sale, which won’t be that much further of a wait.

7. gbrading says:

What on earth are you doing? This is exactly the kind of story which will make Rockstar delay it yet again!!

I kid, but honestly, GTAV is way overpriced at the moment. I saw the PS4 version on sale for £24.99 the other day. If Rockstar think I’m going to buy a 2-year old game for £39.99 they are sorely mistaken. Call me when the price is sub £20.

• caff says:

If you shop around and use special codes (even on a reputable UK site Greenmangaming I think I picked it up for £24 quid-ish) you can avoid the £40 price tag.

• Universal Quitter says:

Can we get through one game listed at full price, without some dork crawling out of the woodwork to complai about it? It isn’t even unusually high for a AAA game. Nothing like the Sims, anyway.

There’s no reason to proudly broadcast what a cheap basted you are.

• montorsi says:

Not to mention the fact it’s not purely a port but they added some cool features that will make it worth experiencing on PC. I did only pay $30 for this one, but even so I’d be considering a “normal” discount price of ~$45 that you can get from GMG or G2A.

• instantcoffe says:

Why pay for something full price when it is available at a much lower price through some other channels?
        There’s no reason to proudly broadcast what a fool with his money you are.

• Doc DarkStar says:

Well if everyone thought like you do then we wouldn’t get any AAA titles on the PC and personally I don’t want to have to get a console to play them on. Games are already cheaper on the PC and we don’t have to pay to play online, so I think when someone actually does a proper PC version of a game and make it the definitive version then they should be rewarded.

And with any luck other publishers will realise they’re better off actually spending some time on a PC version, but if everyone followed your example then the best we could hope for would be straight ports. Or more likely just give up on the PC completely.

• Archonsod says:

Even the most highly polished turd is still a turd. I couldn’t care less whether they put a few centuries worth of man-hours into making a definitive PC port or outsourced to some cheap studio who aren’t even going to bother updating the controller instructions as long as the actual game is good, which is what I’m paying for.

Given how GTA has went since Vice City I’m not particularly inclined to bother with this one.

8. Hebrind says:

I think it’s important to note that this is 11pm on the 13th April, not the 14th!

• Bull0 says:

The UK is ON BST now so surely it’ll be midnight?

• Hebrind says:

I was commenting on the following from Emily:

“The game is going live on April 14 at 12 a.m. BST. For those of the British persuasion that’s actually at 11 p.m. GMT.”

So, 11pm GMT on 13th April, not the 14th. Just didn’t want people turning up a day late :P

• blastaz says:

Except for those of the British persuasion we have been on BST for several weeks. The clue is in the name “British” Summer Time. So midnight ie 00:00 on 14th if you are in the UK which would be 1am on the 14th on the continent.

• Hebrind says:

Makes that part of the sentence a bit redundant, doesn’t it?

• Boothie says:

One hour ahead of the Brits here, and according to steam its going to go live at 1 am

• Bull0 says:

Well obviously you were, but my point is the UK is on BST at the moment so it’ll be midnight

9. Dale Winton says:

the hype is crazy for a game aimed at 15 year old boys

• pepperfez says:

Well, it is the Citizen Kane and Moby Dick of games aimed at 15 year-old boys.

Mungrul says:

Yeah, much like Moby Dick, it’s a little too long and there’s lots of dying at sea.

• Dale Winton says:

Nonsense gta games are all boob’s and explosions. The kind of stuff teenage boys love

• SquidgyB says:

Yeah, not like there’s a proper fun, graphically intense, open world driving game in there.

Move along. Nothing to see here but burning nipples. Honest.

• Dale Winton says:

I am just saying the hype is ridiculous for a game aimed at teenage boys. I am sure it will be a good game but I don’t want to read about it everywhere

• SquidgyB says:

Without trying to troll, if you don’t want to read about an AAA game which is being released in the next 24 hours, maybe gaming news sites aren’t the best place to be reading?

It’s a bit like watching the news in the next few weeks and complaining that all you see is politics…

• TimePointFive says:

Nice confirmation bias, there.

• Distec says:

Love the twisted logic that one of the best-selling game series of all time is being purchased exclusively by kids in high school.

Old man, get back in your rocker.

• Dale Winton says:

It is aimed at teenage boys though. I don’t think anyone would argue with that

• Shakes999 says:

Yeah, its also aimed at people between the ages of 18-50 but great work on your utterly pointless post.

10. mpk says:

Only three months or so til the Steam Summer Sale – that’s when I’m likely to pick up this up.

• caff says:

Nah, this game is huge. It won’t be discounted on Steam in the first 9 months of release.

11. Greggh says:

“Here’s When GTA 5 Unlocks For PC”

Not soon enough :3

12. SaintAn says:

I’m excited, but I think I’m going to wait a few days after to make sure it’s a port worth $60, especially since I already bought it on PS4 and played it on PS3. GTA IV had no Anti-Aliasing so it was riddled with jaggies making the game super ugly.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

This one has both MSAA and FXAA ( for Nvidia ), there should be other kinds of post process methods for non Nvidia users and you can mix as you want. Word is the optimization in rather nice, but off course waiting is always safer anyway.

• instantcoffe says:

As we should always do.
      Unfortunately, all the 15yo manboys of this world are going to buy this en masse without blinking once.
      They eat the hype like it’s a freaking snow cone: full of melting guarantees and empty sugar promises.

• Distec says:

The only thing more disappointing than purchases made purely off of hype are the obnoxious and tired expressions like yours that accompany every popular release.

Oh no, the manbros are gonna spend money?!?! Let’s get shitty and snobby about it.

• Sigh says:

Why are you wasting time commenting on this article when there are tons of hipster indie pixel graphic platformers that subvert the genre in some clever way and contain a really deep message about life, love, and loss. They need your attention!

13. Barberetti says:

After the state the last one was released in, I’ll happily wait and let everyone else be the guinea pigs this time.

• Mokinokaro says:

I’m also expecting online issues ala Diablo 3’s launch.

14. stringerdell says:

I am ready

15. Wytefang says:

Are we supposed to deeply care about this over-hyped, console-centric game? Because I’m not seeing much to make it worth the coverage, quite frankly.

• fish99 says:

Why the need to comment about games that don’t interest you? I don’t get it.

• Synesthesia says:

The block button is your friend. Seriously. It has saved me more than a headache here at rps.

• bill says:

Maybe he’s commenting more on the amount of coverage/hype than the game itself.

I don’t see anything wrong with commenting on things that don’t interest you, as long as it is done with the intention of communication rather than trolling.

I myself, am also slightly confused by the hype. I vaguely remember lots of hype around when it got released on consoles, and then I remember stuff about how unpleasant the main characters sounded, and then I haven’t really heard anyone mention it since. So I’m interested and kinda surprised that its release on PC seems to be a big deal… which isn’t what I would have expected.

• Wytefang says:

Exactly. I don’t see much merit in this series anyway – it’s never felt very impressive nor even remotely like a PC game, anyway, so I fail to see why anyone is supposed to be “excited” about it. I suppose if you have one foot in each platform or you’re someone who is less discerning about what thrills them, it’s something to care about – and certainly, there’s not been much (of late) in terms of exciting PC releases so I suppose this is the next closest thing to fuel the cult of the new for some gamers.

• Wytefang says:

But I suppose it’s easier to block someone who’s made a point you dislike or term them a troll – it’s the easiest (some might say “laziest”) way to handle opinions that you dislike.

• Myrdinn says:

I don’t know. As someone growing up with GTA1, GTA2 and eventually the 3rd ones, I totally consider GTA a PC franchise. Sure, GTAIV was the first obvious console port and they dropped the ball on that one. Seeing how Rockstar has acknowledged that and spend 1,5 years making a ‘real’ PC version, I don’t really get your qualms. I’m a very ‘pc gamer’ kind of guy (usually playing grand strategy games, 4X’s, isometric RPG’s and such) but I sure as hell pre-ordered GTA V.

• Asurmen says:

Ah. PC Master race elitism. Got it.

• Benaliaf says:

Well, i’m super-hyped for PC version on GTA5, first of all, because none of my friends have a PS3 and i feel so lonely, killing virtual folks in GTA Online without them. Oh, and director mode! Can’t wait to start making stuff with this tool! And it might be cool to drive around Los-Santos in fist person! No, no, no…to FLY around Los-Santos!
            And i will be able to handle aiming guns myself, without filthy assist. Because aiming with gamepad is not my thing.
            Anyway, as you can’t understand the excitement around the game, i can’t understand your peevishness. Why you bother?

• -Spooky- says:

@Myrdinn Agree

• gunny1993 says:

lol, if you cant see why people are hyped about this game you need to take a step back and look at what it offers.

Online, open world, multilayer, violence, Trains, Planes, Automobiles

I.e. No other game delivers what this one has (except maybe Just Cause), supply and demand

• dsch says:

There is no more ambitious game on any platform.

• Wytefang says:

Now if only “ambition” = quality. ;)

• instantcoffe says:

Now if ambition didn’t = mini-games by the truckload.

• Jenks says:

I like how above you whine about being labeled a troll, and then we get to this. Nice winky face at the end for bonus troll points.

• Nokturnal says:

Sorry, gotta disagree on that one.
        The ARMA series has this game beaten by a long, long way…Map size, content, AI, graphics, features, modding community.
        About the only area GTA might have it beat is in terms of stock-misisons. But considering the fact the modders produce so much, it still makes GTA look tiny in comparison.

Also, it is first person by default…. :P

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

You just expressed why features and numbers are meaningless, and only quality really counts, and this is exactly why China has enough money to buy the rest of the world, because they realized that people want “more” instead of “better”, which costs a lot more than a meaningless extra feature.

This is not to say that Arma3 is a cheap product, but it’s not excellent either and it lacks on many fronts. It sits in a niche and that’s what saves it, if it had some serious competition things would be extremely different.

One can hate or love the storytelling and the general delivery of the GTA series, but one should absolutely be blind not to notice how much quality work is put into it, even in it’s world building alone.

• Nokturnal says:

I didn’t question the work that went into it. I would argue it’s far more polished than A3’s campaign, easily.
            But the person I was quoting mentioned ambition. That is what I was debating.

A3 is more ambitious than GTA V is my statement. For the reasons I stated above.
            I could probably argue that those things are also ‘better’ in some ways, but it’d be a waste of both of our time.

I didn’t say A3 had more and was therefore better. I said A3 was more ambitious. Something can be more ambitious and still not better. Although in this case I feel it is better too.
            But that’s just me, like you say it’s a niche game so I like it because I like what it provides.
            I like and will buy GTA V too if that helps? :P

Not sure why you had to drag China into this…Low blow man.
            Especially considering China is in the top 10 (or 5?) for debt, is it not?…

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Well, i guess it depends on what we consider ambitious, and i can give you that Arma has some pretty extreme ideas for a game that has to fight with it’s budget aswell. So yeah, i think i get your point now, especially as a response to that statement.

And yeah, everything around me is being bought by Chinese corporations and it’s not happening for the best ( i live in the “wine Mecca” of Italy, also olive oil ), so i have some bitterness. I bet their official “debt” has something to do with how they handle their money flow, which is not something i’m sure i want to know. And off course i’m not talking about chinese people either, which has nothing to do with this and it’s a topic for another time and i don’t know much about that anyway.

I just used their production philosophy to make a point, which is in retrospect something that probably wasn’t needed anyway after your clarification. And no, off course i don’t think it’s all done that way, i was actually considering a Jungson amplifier that is made by a chinese company that doesn’t absolutely compromise in quality.

• dsch says:

I wouldn’t say Arma is very ambitious at all. It pushes no boundaries about what a game can accomplish, but merely aims to do more of the same: bigger maps, more detail, better realism, etc. Not that this is a bad thing at all, but perhaps this clarifies what I meant by “ambition.”

• fish99 says:

ARMA series is ambitious but let’s face it, the gameplay is clunky, the visuals behind the curve and next to no story or characters to get invested in, plus it scores a big fat zero for coolness (until Rocket added zombies). For me Stalker is more ambitious than ARMA because it has the big areas, the realistic ballistics, but also a great world and lore to explore.

• Cederic says:

Sorry, but in a world containing Dwarf Fortress you’re basically going to lose every single time on that one.

• Bull0 says:

You aren’t “supposed” to care about anything but it’s a pretty great game, even speaking purely objectively

• Wytefang says:

I think that objectively, it has some decent ideas here and there but as a game, it just feels clunky and very much like something best at home on a console, sadly.

• James says:

So you ‘ve played it then? No? Ok.

We will find out how it plays come tomorrow, it may be great, it may be on Skyrim levels of ‘oh god why didn’t they change this?’ – we don’t know yet, but most people who’ve seen previews seem fairly impressed. There is minor cause for optimisim.

16. racccoon says:

LOL Rockstar makes me laugh, they get our money & treat PC Players with no respect.

Rockstar thinks we are all pirates.

I actually went hunting & found that piracy on the pc for this game is now down to almost just few like 10/20 at the most at any one time, when years ago it was in the millions n millions. So the Rockstar PC PIRACY theory is out the window today!
    The majority of PC players today pay for the good games they want and madly complain when their crap alongside poor service!

Rockstar throws us a bone where the many spend many days trying to get their game!
    Rocksatr never bothered about upgrading their downloader and now balls to announce a release time! which not so many can meet! as they spent the last 4 days messing about with their stupid Social downloader that disconnects us all the time.

I do not believe Rockstar respects the PC player!

One thing I do know is The majority of PC players respects their games.

17. -Spooky- says:

14h 12 min left .. *instant rant on useless summertime* :3

18. XhomeB says:

Looking forward to the announcement of Red Dead Redemption HD Edition for new consoles and PC. Now THAT would be even awesomer.
    Too bad it won’t happen.

Minsc_N_Boo says:

This is the first game I have pre-ordered since Skyrim was released. Amazon have dispatched it…. I might be phoning is sick for work tomorrow *cough*

• SquidgyB says:

That cough sounds nasty, take it from me, you better take the rest of the week off.

Tell your boss that someone on the internet said you sounded ill. No need for a doctor’s note.

20. tehfish says:

I’m currently wondering how much performance i’ll get from my PC :)

Being the absurdly nice brother i am, i lent my AMD 2GB 6970 card to him in return for his 1GB 6850 card so he could play Dying light.

I still have said 6850 1GB card, hmmm…
    (other specs: FX-8120 @ 4.2ghz + 12GB RAM)

21. Davey111111 says:

Yeah I got my code from that site too. Decently fast. GTA V Downloading now!
    $39.99 is a good price in my opinion.

22. omnipotent says:

http://gamerworld.ca seems to be the best option out there right now.
    Would recommend! 10/10