Bundle Me Up: GOG Sale Starts With RPGs & Adventures

If you’re one for ye olde RPGs, I imagine you’re neck-deep in Pillars of Eternity at the moment. But maybe you don’t have £35 spare, or you don’t consider dozens of hours of RPG good value for money (or who knows what else?). In either case, hey, look: GOG have a bundle of olde RPGs on sale for £14.80, including Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, both Baldur’s Gate games, the Icewind Dales, Temple of Elemental Evil. I calculate that to be one squillion hours of retro role-playing.

It’s part of a week-long bundleorama at GOG, with new games discounted each day. Today’s initial lot also include LucasArts games, a wad of Divinity, and a whole rack of Broken Swords.

That bundle of RPGs is £14.80. Sam & Max Hit the Road, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will run you £4.67. Broken Swords 1 through 5 are £9.75. Lastly, the bundle of Divine Divinity, Beyond Divinity, and Divinity 2 is £4.57.

Individual games within bundles are discounted too, but not by nearly as much as if you buy the lot.

What’s coming next is a mystery, though GOG tease “completely fresh GOG.com game releases”.

I shall demand the teeth of anyone who pedantically argues that Torment et al aren’t retro their wizened standards. You may remove them yourself – I don’t care how – and send them to me in an envelope. It’s either that or I’ll come round and extract them myself.

1. kud13 says:

Torment is eternal.

2. satan says:

Shame they don’t just throw up all the sales at the start, I’m not going to remember to check back everyday for a week.

3. Brinx says:

I knew it was only a matter of time, but I finally gave in and got the GOG-version of Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2 after I already owning every other D&D game on GOG. Was about time I finally got the English version after always having played a strange mix of German and English in my modded installation.

4. lomaxgnome says:

Every time that bundle of D&D RPGs goes on sale I’m tempted, and I think about how I used to own most of them and probably paid at least $40 each for them, and yet every time I talk myself out of buying it because it’s too much to spend. It’s so strange how my perception of game cost/value has changed over the years.

• klops says:

For me it’s not the cost/value. I don’t buy them because I already have a ton of unplayed games in Steam/Humble Bundle/Gog that I most likely never have time to play. And I’m not a busy person. It’s just that woderful new games are coming all the time too fast! AAAs, indies, aaaah! And board games, board games are great! But you have never time to play them! So I just can’t add old new games to the to-play list. Yet still I do. It’s hard

5. DrManhatten says:

Still think DoS is far better RPG than POE

• horrorgasm says:

and I still think that raisin toast is better than plain toast, which is equally relevant here.

teije says:

I know it is heretical to say so, but having loved most of those old RPGs back in the day, I have no desire to play them again. One factor is all the new great stuff to play and my more limited time.

But the largest factor is a fear that they won’t be a splendid as I recall them to be. So I leave them on their shining pedestals of nostalgia, safe from any rude awakenings.

7. caff says:

Caved in and bought the old Lucasarts pack. Never played Fate of Atlantis and always wanted to, and Sam n Max deserves another go.

syllopsium says:

Fate of Atlantis is exceptional. The only flaw is that it’s not Harrison Ford doing the voicing of Indy. Everything else is spot on.

Easily in my top five adventures of all time. Possibly still #1

• bill says:

Even then, the voice acting is good and you don’t rally notice it isn’t Ford after a few minutes.
        Excellent game.

• Bundin says:

Bought that mini-bundle as well, just to replay Fate of Atlantis. I remember playing it ages ago and loving the snarky interactions with… what’s her name. Will actually bump this up to the top of my backlog :)

syllopsium says:

I appear to already have all the RPG bundle. However, despite the fact I own physical copies of Fate of Atlantis and Sam and Max, plus the Roland sound modules, plus a Steam copy of Atlantis, I’m still tempted to buy another DRM free instantly downloadable copy..

Also, Fate of Atlantis is amazing

• bill says:

If you already own them, surely you could just upload a copy to dropbox and then you’d have an instantly downloadable copy.
      They are already DRM free and very tiny by modern standards, aren’t they?

9. bill says:

I’m sure that D&D bundle used to go on sale about once a month on Gamersgate for about $8.
    Then it got renamed the hasbro bundle and now it rarely seems to drop to a decent price.

A lucasarts adventure bundle would be tempting if it was a bit more all-inclusive. 3 games hardly counts as a bundle.

10. Czrly says:

Yet again, I find myself wishing that you could easily add GOG bundles to your cart… you know… for those cases where you want to buy more than one and don’t want to “checkout” twice. (I can’t believe they still haven’t added this feature – it seems so trivial.)

• Czrly says:

It appears that you can still get the bundle price if you add all the bundle’s items to your cart, manually. This is great but it is a real pain in the derriere. It is also a huge pity because GOG’s bundle feature is so amazing mature compared to its rivals. For example, I still get the 80% discount for completing the D&D bundle even though I already own three of its games – I don’t have to pay for stuff I already own. Compared to Steam, this is revolutionary!

11. Morph says:

Temple ofElemetal Evil was the only one I never played. Anyone want to recommend it?

• TomxJ says:

Yes actually.

Install the Circle of 8 mod and prepare to get utterly curb-stomped. Its a literal translation of the 3.5 edition ruleset (my advice would be to learn it first) and focuses less on RPGing and more on combat which is turn based and very tactical.

• Zekiel says:

It is the most fantastic implementation of D&D combat rules in a videogame I’ve ever played (better than Infinity Engine). If you like turn-based combat it is really, really good. Unfortunately even with the Circle of Eight fan-patch I still had massive slow-down issues in a few areas, and the difficulty level is all over the shop.
      Disclaimer: this is based on a CD version, not the GoG version.

• Foosnark says:

I actually kind of hated Temple of Elemental Evil back in the day.

The minimap does not actually show you where you can or can’t go, just what the terrain looks like from above. There are some places where, to travel half an inch through what looks like completely passable terrain on the map, requires about six screens of fumbling around in a maze.

The installer originally had the unfortunate side effect of deleting everything on an entire hard drive, if you chose to change the install directory. I’m sure that’s been patched, but it was both egregious and representative of the bug-ridden nature of the game.

I don’t even remember how the game mechanics were because my friends and I all gave up on it within a couple of days.

• Velthaertirden says:

It is a very, VERY bugged game. To the point where it can become unplayable. Lots of content was either cut or not implemented. The game world is small – basically two half-finished towns and the main dungeon – the Temple itself. Granted, there are many choices and they all are reflected in the ending cutscene (slides). But you have a gay relationship being shoved in your face before BioWare made it popular – if you save a pirate boy from his abusive captain, then you’ll automatically get an ending with him becoming your partner even if you have married a woman before. And did I mention bugs? They are worth another mention as even CoE patch does not remove all of them. Without the patch the game is just terrible – for example you have NPC members of your party constantly getting (“stealing”) part of your loot for themselves which leads to their inventories becoming full, them being over-encumbered and with old weapons/armor – you can’t take things out of the invited NPCs’ inventories without a mod. You can manage only the inventory of the created party and items that you have given to NPCs manually.

TL,DR: If you are a BIG fan of D&D – play the game. Otherwise, avoid it.

12. ansionnach says:

Not sure if it’s been posted about here but the gog reclaim your games initiative looks interesting. Enter the key you got with your boxed copy and you can unlock gog’s DRM-free version as well. Kind of useless for the majority of the boxed games I have since there were no keys with them. Would be interesting if they could expand it using some other unique identifier (not sure what). They don’t have many up right now but I do have Mount & Blade, so I’ll have to see if my key works.

13. frightlever says: