Little Devil Inside Is Zelda Meets Dark Souls

Just take a look at this trailer. It’s over three minutes long but I promise you it’s time well wasted.

Little Devil Inside [Greenlight page] is a 3D action-adventure RPG, but before you pass out under the weight of assumptions it’s worth mentioning it’s one of the best looking games I’ve seen in quite some time.

In the words of its creators: “As opposed to developing fully life-like, high polygon characters and objects with intense level of textures, the intended design essence and aesthetics is to create a subtle but powerful sense of emptiness for each player to fill for themselves throughout the game experience.”

lol idunno but there’s a bit where people ride dogs or something. While it’s basically chock-full of your fantasy setting standards, it’s an enormously original take on tradition. Goofy, twee, but complete with some hardcore boss fights. (Hint: Kraken)

The game is currently in pre-alpha and you can check out its official Steam Greenlight page right here and its Kickstarter page here.

1. WeltEnSTurm says:

That cursor in the trailer trolled me hard. Looks awesome!

• Robert Post's Child says:

Haha yeah. Gives it a nice home-made charm I think, even if it is distracting.

Harlander says:

That really is very pretty.

I just shudder inside when I hear things being described as “like Dark Souls“, but I guess it’s better to know it’s gonna be too hard for me before I buy it.

• Rizlar says:

It looks absolutely nothing like Dark Souls.

Except for that one bit in the video (at 2.04) that is full of visual references to DS. The bonfire, the black knight with the cape and identical greatsword attack, the sounds. The references must be deliberate but it’s all just surface, unless ‘dodge attacks’ now equals ‘darksoulslike’.

• pasports31 says:

This isn’t the first article I’ve seen comparing the game to Dark Souls, which I’m really wondering where that comes from. Having watched the trailer (as you mentioned), there is a small bit with the bonfire that evokes Dark Souls, but outside of that I don’t really see it. The Greenlight page itself mentions the X-Com series, System Shock, Zelda, and Betrayal at Krondor as influences (of course, I don’t really see half of these, either). Obviously I’d need to get my hands on the game before making judgment, but the visual style evokes Wind Waker more than anything, and the sword play looks a bit like Wind Waker, as well.

• aliksy says:

ugh. the important part of dark souls wasn’t “it’s hard.” it was the cohesion of the world and the rules!

3. Monkeh says:

Saw this a few days ago and my god does it look glorious.

4. Barberetti says:

Yeah that looks fucking fantastic.

5. skalpadda says:

Looks neat, but the long segments with just scenery and character animation along with the royalty-free Vivaldi soundtrack makes it feel more like an animation student short than a game trailer. Much too light on actual game information to be asking people to hand over money.

Also, you’re publishing sentences starting with “lol idunno” now?

• Paroxysm says:

I’m still wary but at least there’s an extended gameplay section you can check out as well as the trailer: link to youtube.com

• yonsito says:

I admit that the gameplay doesn’t look as tight as Dark Souls. At least not yet.
        But it’s so very pretty. And the music fits very well, I think.

• Philomelle says:

That trailer feels more like a proof of concept than actual gameplay. There’s a point where the enemy lunges at the protagonist and evokes no reaction, indicating that they likely didn’t program character damage in yet.

There is still no information about how the game actually works, only that it’s a third-person 3D adventure/RPG with a cartoon-ish art style. It looks interesting, sure, but not nearly concrete enough for me to back it.

• Dare_Wreck says:

Yeah, that “lol idunno” seems really out of place and not professional for a site like RPS.

• pepperfez says:

Since when is RPS professional?

• Dare_Wreck says:

You know what I mean – sure, RPS delights in being overly silly at times, but their writing is really top-notch and professional-sounding. Take a look at any of their Wot I Thinks and tell me you think otherwise. The “lol idunno” in this article was probably an attempt to sound like their usual silliness but just seemed out of place.

• rokahef says:

yeah, that ‘lol idunno’ really rubbed me the wrong way as well.

6. karthink says:

What is RPS’s stance on the “X is Y meets Z” titling practice? I mean, Nathan Grayson started doing this often around 2012 and it’s been popping up every now and then. (Apparently, every other game is something meets X-COM or FTL today.)

On the one hand, it’s lazy and not very creative. On the other, it’s succinct and finds its audience immediately, so it can’t be faulted without reservation.

I much prefer the elaborate and contrived puns that RPS would concoct all the time five years ago (and still do much less frequently), because those articles are usually more flavourful and entertaining than what is otherwise a straight infodump.

yhancik says:

It’s tempting to write a generator that automatically creates “X meet Y” titles :p
      (ideally to be combined with a games titles generator)
      (Dark Reborn: Nemesis is Minecraft meets Skyfree)

• SilentStorm says:

They copied it from Kotaku.
      link to steamed.kotaku.com

yhancik says:

Well at least RPS mentions the game title in the article title. “Steam game”, really….

• karthink says:

Oh wow, you might want to look at the author’s name on the Kotaku link.

• Merlin the tuna says:

It’s doubly annoying in this case because Dark Souls is already pretty much Spooooooky Zelda. It’s like describing a game as Mario meets Mario 3.

7. ikbenbeter says:

The game looks gorgeous, but I really would like some more reason to back this project. Big names behind this project, a demo or some substantial gameplay (preferably by a third party) would make me throw money at my screen. For now it goes on my watchlist and I’ll see how it does in a few weeks.

8. Blackcompany says:

Crossing fingers that this turns out well. I really want it to succeed.

9. frightlever says:

Pfft. More like Wallace and Gromit meets Dragon’s Dogma.

• Freud says:

I think it’s more like Devil May Cry meets early 20th century German Naïve art.

yhancik says:

If only you could talk to the nicely designed monsters

11. AbsoluteShower says:

Looks tempting, Ill check back in once it’s had some kind of release though.

Oakreef says:

I like the look of the game but I don’t really get where the comparison in the title came from.

• Philomelle says:

It’s a pretty silly comparison with or without the game. Dark Souls and Zelda already have very similar overall progression, it’s the mechanical details where they differ. You could say “Pillars of Eternity is Baldur’s Gate meets Icewind Dale.” or “Wildstar is World of Warcraft meets The Old Republic.” with the exact same level of efficiency.

13. Koozer says:

It looks great, but the gratuitous blood splatter ruins it. This isn’t Gears of War.

• Koozer says:

EDIT: The real-world guns look a little out of place too. Maybe I’m too used to games from Nintendo consoles.

• El Stevo says:

Surely it’s whatever the developers want it to be?

14. Kefren says:

Looks very pretty. One effect I don’t like though is weather effects on the “screen” (rain, frost). It immediately pulls me out of immersion. What is the water running down? Does it mean I am following the characters and watching them, some kind of giant with a faceplate on? Is it meant to be running down a camera lens – but then, what is the camera doing? I can see _why_ it is done, but it never works for me, it just raises too many questions. (Of course it works on a windscreen/canopy in a driving or flying game; possibly in an FPS where you have a full visor on; but otherwise it just creates questions).

15. Frank says:

omg yes!

(hey, you say “lol idunno”, so i’m not really bringing down the level of discourse)

16. davethejuggler says:

That title gave me major flashbacks of Litil Divil! Looks lovely too.

17. Synesthesia says:

Oh wow, that looks gorgeous. Every shot was wonderful. Wasn’t jasper byrne trying to do something similar, but in 2d?

• Eleven says:

It was the ‘camera’-work that impressed me too. There’s some very artful use of depth-of-field in some of the shots that I hope makes it into the full game.

18. TheTingler says:

Had me until I saw that the Early Bird minimum tier to get the game was $25, with it going up to $30 after that. Pass. Love the look, but they’ve shot themselves in the foot charging that much.

• Jebediah Adder says:

25 *Australian* dollars, mind you. That’s about 18 euros or 13 GBP, so perhaps not so unreasonable after all.

19. fdisk says:

I will buy and play this game based off it’s beautiful art style alone.

20. RogerioFM says:

I have no idea what that was, but I want it, and I want it NAOOOO!!!!

21. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’m in love. Can it really be as amazing as the trailer makes out? Hope so.

22. phailhaus says:

Looks fantastic! I love to see a 3D game absolutely own its art style.
    However, I have to wonder, how can a studio release a professional trailer with the mouse cursor sitting in the middle of the screen?! It’s ridiculously distracting and feels amateur.

23. Bugamn says:

I feel like more games should try to use classical music.

24. Siimon says: