Wax On, Wax Off – Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul Announced

What is the cloth that has everyone so excited in Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul [Japanese site]? “The Cloth granted by destiny”, characters call it, “the God Cloth”, and “the ultimate Cloth”. I’m imagining a beautiful fabric, perhaps the ghostly batique owl quilting fabric I bought on a road trip through North California (“You will never do anything with that,” Pip scolded me). John, as a parent dealing with all manner of unsightly fluids, has imagined the game’s about battling stains with rags.

All we can say for certain is what Namco Bandai have announced: the fighting game sequel is coming via Steam this autumn.

I’ve cheated and looked it up: Cloths are the names of fancy magical armours charged with the powers of constellations worn by sacred warriors fighting for Greek gods. Sorry, John. It’s based on a long-running anime/manga series, see. Soldiers’ Soul is the sequel to a game released only on PlayStation 3, back in 2013.

Publishers Bandai Namco are pretty keen on PC now, producer Ryo Mito told Destructoid at the announcement event. “The fact is games are developed on a PC already, so it’s not a big deal,” he said. “We really wanted to get the game into the hands of more players so we’re excited to work more on the platform in the future, and will be supporting it more as time goes on.”

Supposedly it’ll run at 60fps in 1080p on PC, and won’t have an English dub so yes, you’ll get to hear all this dramatic shouting about Cloths:

1. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I love Japan and i love Saint Seiya, but when i hear a japanese developer claim “1080p” i look back at Metal Gear Rising that was locked at that resolution as it’s maximum, then i go back to review the troubled history of Japanes PC games and i inevitably start to worry…

2. smeaa mario says:

Looks all nice and well but only serves to remind me that we are never getting the latest Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure games.

3. int says:

Okay BanNamco. I’m glad you’re finally releasing PC versions of your games, but are you deliberately releasing every game EXCEPT Soul Calibur for PC just to spite me!?

• Wedge says:

I’m sure if they are making a new one it would be on PC, seeing as Tekken 7 is going to be.

4. Shadow says:

I’ve always found the “cloth” translation bizarre. They better translated it as “armours” in the Spanish dub of the series, which I watched extensively when I was a kid. The Spanish name for the series was Knights of the Zodiac, and the “Saints” were Knights instead. Everything made a notch more sense, compared to the English translations.

Also, dat unmistakable Star Trek font on the subtitle.

• ChrisGWaine says:

“Cloth” and “Saint” aren’t exactly translations. Those are the words used in Japanese, although pronounced with Japanese phonemes and with kanji assigned to bestow special semantics.

• Shadow says:

Then I suppose it’s an example of a too literal translation having a detrimental impact, since all those secondary meanings are lost and you’re left with ridiculous terms (“cloth” more so than “Saint”, perhaps). Wouldn’t be the first nor the last time a translated Japanese work is diminished by translators putting more emphasis in literal meaning than the spirit of the original terminology.

• ChrisGWaine says:

I think the way you’re characterising the choice isn’t really accurate. “Armour” and “knight” seem to me to be a case of smoothing out the wrinkles of the original character that comes from the author’s choices, the localization overriding them for the sake of something that seems more normal. It’s an example of how translations can have subjective calls, involving weighing up peculiar downsides.

• Shadow says:

It’s true that translation calls for subjective decisions, and of course “cloth” in particular comes from an author choice. But it’s a choice made within a specific language context. Out of said context, the term loses a presumably critical part of its meaning, as I said earlier.

But who knows, maybe the English translators were more in contact with the Japanese authors, who might’ve insisted on keeping translations as literal as possible.

• alms says:

Well japanese are well known for their love of exotic words that never mean in japanese what they mean in the rest of the world, that was the original acception of engrish. I mean would you drink Pocari Sweat? I don’t care who Pocari is and I’m not drinking their sweat anyway.

In my experience the translations are either literal or turn into full-blown adaptations, with complete freedom to change all sorts of stuff in an attempt to make the content less quirky and more appealing to a western audience. Adaptations are most often seen with anime, especially for popular shows whose audience is going to be more casual and thus less forgiving of nipponese quirks.

FTR I believe the spanish version was actually a direct translation of the italian adaptation.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The italian translation was the same, it was armours and knights of the zodiac, although a rather weird thing is the decision to call each character as the sign the represent, rather than their actual name, like Seiya was Pegasus and so on.

It was rather a rather inspired translation though, with a lot of focus on using pseudo-archaic language and stuff, and the dubbing rather well done aswell.

Phasma Felis says:

The thing about Japanese translations is (a) the Japanese creators have a fetish for using English words without understanding what they mean, and (b) American fans and translators have a fetish for reproducing things as literally as possible without regard for sense or subtext.

5. Pich says:

i think all of latin america and half of europe just had a collective orgasm

6. DrManhatten says:

Awesome loved the TV show when I was a Kid. The mixtures of European Mythologies and the japanese view on things made this show 1 million times better than pure goofy DragonBall

7. Spacewalk says:

That dude needs to do the Napisan challenge.