Towering – Cities: Skylines Has Sold Over 1 Million Copies

I know what I said about big numbers. “Please be careful with numbers, chums,” I said. “Many folks sadly seem to deploy statistics as weapons in territorial arguments,” I said. Let’s not do that. Numbers can be celebratory too, numbers can make you feel included, let you know that there are plenty of others like you out there.

If you bought Cities: Skylines, hey, you might like to know that you’re not alone. Over one million copies of the city-building sim (our Game of the Month) have been sold, publishers Paradox announced today. Perhaps you all might like to meet up for drinks, a meal, and see where the night takes you? Finding a bar with space might be tricky though.

“We continue to be amazed at just how players have embraced Cities: Skylines,” Paradox CEO Fredrik Wester said in today’s announcement. “The game is still selling at a steady pace, which is remarkable for a game that has been on sale for well over a month. Once again, we want to thank everyone that has supported and continues to support this game.”

I bet he’d put a small tab behind the bar if you asked nicely.

Cities: Skylines came out on March 10th, just over one month ago. Signs were already good that you’d soon find your new bestest best friends when Skylines became Paradox’s fastest-selling game. It sold over 250,000 by the end of its first day on sale, including pre-orders. Don’t you go thinking you’re better than others if you got in early, mind: you’re all only one slip away from Vomageddon.

We quite like Skylines too. Maybe you’ll buy us, members of your merry band, a drink too. Was this post all one long con to cadge a drink on a hot spring evening? We may never know.

1. Llewyn says:

So there are now more Skylines owners than it’s possible for Skylines to simulate in a single city? Sooner or later I’ll be making it one more, I suspect, despite shuddering every time I see a line-of-garbage-trucks screenshot.

• 2late2die says:

You shouldn’t worry about it so much. People typically post notable stuff – whether good or bad, so these are basically extreme situations. I’ve had no major issues with traffic, or garbage collection, or dead piling up*. Really, as long as you think ahead you’ll do fine.

* As I was writing this I got an idea for a mod (hopefully somebody else will make it though) – a zombie mod. Now I know I know, I’m as sick of zombies as anyone, but I think within CSL it could be an interesting mechanic. It basically could be like a disaster and the idea is, if you let too many bodies pile up and you have poor health system, a virus outbreak occurs and the virus reanimates the dead. So the more dead bodies you have that haven’t been incinerated the worse it is. And of course if you rely more on cemeteries than incinerators then it becomes an even bigger problem.

To fight it you need a police force, and maybe on top of that another mod could provide a military base that allows you to call up for help in case of a disaster. That’d be a pretty sweet mod wouldn’t it :D

• Llewyn says:

Oh, I’m not worried about it particularly, merely a little disappointed because I know that my own (lack of) city planning tends to support these kind of edge cases occurring, and I find them immersion-breaking.

It won’t stop me buying the game though; it’s lack of time to play it that’s doing that for the moment.

• jrodman says:

I think dealing with these kinds of problems is supposed to be an interesting component of play, though personally I just find it annoying. I suspect I’m the wrong audience.

• Aetylus says:

Hey yeah! I just had a great session rearranging my motorway layouts to optimise rubbish truck routes. Living the dream.

• Llewyn says:

I’m on the borderline of that audience, which can be frustrating. I have no problem with the need to carefully manage traffic flows as a whole in these games (although I don’t necessarily enjoy it) because that’s something that’s a major problem for real cities everywhere.

The need to plan traffic specifically to cater for service vehicles though? Not so much. I don’t recall ever reading reports of real cities having rubbish piled in the streets purely because the garbage trucks are affected by gridlock.

• epeternally says:

I feel like dealing with traffic issues would be much more engaging if you could do it without pretty much ripping up your entire city. Conceptually, I definitely see why it’s an important part of the gameplay, but the way it’s implemented makes it far too difficult to make seamless changes to an existing layout.

2. caff says:

Lovely game, deserves the sales figures it’s got.

Trouble is, I don’t know how to play this alongside PoE, GTA V, Hand of Fate, Sunless Sea…. far too many good games for PC this year and we’re only 4 months in.

• caff says:

Oh and go on then – have a virtual drink on me.

• Monggerel says:

As someone who habitually reinstalls Call of Pripyat once every half year and then uninstalls it once they actually reach Pripyat, and consider this to be all the video games they need;

Solution there, it seems to me, is to invent small games.

Qazinsky says:

I do the same. I get my gear all set up, make all arrangements, make the trek there, and finally, I stand there in Pripyat, the goal of the journey, and I just lose interest.

3. Be_reasonable says:

This is proof that making a good game sells copies. You don’t need subscription fees, micro-transactions, always online functionality, social blah blah, or any of the other annoying things about modern gaming to sell lots of copies. Congratulations, I’m happy for them. They made a great title.

• jsbenjamin says:

This.

Nice to see CO being rewarded for making a great game.

• Luke Nukem says:

How much do you think the price point helped?

• emphyrio says:

Anecdotal evidence: for me the low price was the extra incentive I needed.

4. Blad the impaler says:

I play this game every night. It haunts me. I can’t … I can’t stop.

5. Rufust Firefly says:

I am so glad that it’s worked out for them! This game has caused me to see and appreciate my own city in a new way, what with thinking about zoning and overpasses and whatnot.

I hope this results in at least another cake.

6. Ejia says:

I don’t care much for drinks, but I will eat a cake to celebrate in their honor.

7. XhomeB says:

EA/Maxis must be super depressed now. They could have enjoyed a similar success, plus great praise from critics and gamers alike easily, but obviously thought they knew better what everyone wanted and delivered an abomination none asked for. Good job.

• AngoraFish says:

I’m pretty sure not, since Sim City sold its first 1.1 million copies in half this time, and reached 2 million total sales within four months.

Grizzly says:

Cities: Skylines’ marketing budget doesn’t even come close to half of Simcity’s budget though.

Grizzly says:

(Not that I actually have any figures on that, but I think it’s a safe estimate :P )

• rustybroomhandle says:

Also, Cities: Skylines was developed by a company starting with 9 people, eventually expanding to 13. Sim City… well, I looked at the scrolling credits screen on Youtube and tried to count, but eventually gave up… anyway, much more than 13 by a wide wide margin.

• aepervius says:

There are dozen of people and a big marketing budget for simcity. If it was THAT positive for EA they would have kept the team. They did not. Remember : profit is very important so it does not matter how many copy you sell if the total is at a loss or a very low profit. I doubt that the case for city skyline.

8. DragonOfTime says:

Alice, you may use my supporter moneys to buy yourself a drink. Enjooy!