GTA V Is Out: Here’s The First Replay Editor Video

It’s no accident that the first video made using Grand Theft Auto V‘s [official site] new PC replay editor is well-shot and edited, since it was commissioned specifically by Rockstar to show off the power of the new tool. You can watch it below: it’s called Running, Man, it’s about Trevor going for a jog, and I’ve included another recent trailer which explains the abilities of the Replay Editor that you can use for yourself as soon as your copy of the game finishes download.

Here’s Running, Man, which was made by YouTube team 8-Bit Bastard at Rockstar’s request. There’s no dialogue, only running – and fancy lighting and scenery and camera angles along the way.

And here’s Rockstar’s trailer for the Replay Editor, which explains how you can edit clips yourself to create something similar:

The Replay Editor was my favourite part of Grand Theft Auto IV, because it took the chicanery of the free-roam multiplayer mode and gave it lasting meaning. I spent an unreasonable number of hours messing around with friends in one, but spent probably twice as long in the editor then turning those moments into poorly crafted short films.

The new Replay Editor looks similar as far as its interface and basic capabilities goes, but goes further in your ability to control the world via a new Director Mode, allowing you to add characters and animals, tweak the weather and lighting, and modify certain elements of the game in order to better tell your story. I hope to spend twice as long with this than I do with the singleplayer missions.

Of course, that’s if it ever finishes downloading. I pre-loaded GTAV and it came to rest at 99.9%. That final 0.1% has been downloading for 38 minutes and has 9 more minutes to go.

1. Earl-Grey says:

Coincidentally the face in the header image is exactly the face I made when I saw the system requirements.

• melnificent says:

i5 and a r9 270x here. Rocking the 40-60fps at max pretty much everything except MSAA. It hovers closer to 55 than anything else.
      Rock steady 60fps with everything at max is going to require compromises, but when hasn’t it in AAA games?

• melnificent says:

I miss the edit button…

That’s at 1080p, I know I can’t push 4k.

• SquidgyB says:

Indeed, I thought I remembered seeing an edit button back in the day. Any particular reason it’s been removed, RPS?

phuzz says:

The edit button was putting too much load on the server apparently.
            It’s ok though, Horace always knows what you meant to say.

• Earl-Grey says:

Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Horace R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn!

• akstro says:

As a fellow R9 270x user now I’m tepted to buy it. Hopefully my measly FX 6300 won’t cause too much trouble.

• Earl-Grey says:

Also; coincidentally I’ve been waiting for an opportunity to link that picture with something mildly amusing.

As for your R 270X. My GT 750M is snot in comparison.

2. SquidgyB says:

Talking of pre-load shenanigans…

The steam version came encrypted – as expected. What I didn’t expect was for the 60Gb download to immediately be unpacked into another 60Gb directory of data before cleanup.

I run two separate ~112Gb SSD drives, and juggle what games I have installed. Neither of these were big enough to allow the pre-load to unpack and install successfully.

So in the end, last night I didn’t get to play the game on release, spent two hours frustratedly trying to juggle files to get it to work (so close, until I realised that no matter what I did the game refused to unpack from one drive to install onto the other).

I’m not really whining – I still got to test the game briefly this morning, but it would be nice if requirements like this were stated at install – I was surprised (but again not overly so – this *is* GTA V) at the 60gb installation requirement. When I realised it needed double that to unpack, I was twice as surprised.

Really, the Steam devs should have realised this, and stated ~120Gb free space as an installation requirement.

• commentingaccount says:

It’d be misleading to say it needs 120 gigs to install. It only needs that much if you decide to pre-load.

That said, they should say the following on every game that can pre-load: “Warning: this game temporarily requires twice as much space if you decide to pre-load prior to the game’s full release. Make certain you have enough space ahead of time should you decide to pre-load.”

• SquidgyB says:

Yeah, that’s what I meant, rather than just saying “it needs 120Gb to install”.

• FieldyGB says:

Yep had exactly the same problem.. got up early so I could have a quick go on this before heading off to work and yep.. not enough disk space to complete the installation.. hence frantic clearing of local content within Steam. Alas, I ran out of time so will have to wait till tonight.

• bad guy says:

Damn, I was lucky. I had 12GB left on my 256GB SSD while it was decrypting.

• gunny1993 says:

Was on skype with my buddy as he was having this problem, I wonder if anyone at R* or Steam anticipated this problem, I only realized what was happening when he was like “Why is my empty 120 gig SSD full?”

For future reference its clearly the better option to pre load onto a HDD, instal them move the folder with on of those apps you can find online. Hope steam, puts a warning like this on thw Witcher lol

3. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, this video oozes talent and a lot of hard work, but it can be done and that’s already impressive by itself.

4. Artist says:

Im a tad surprised that Rockstar issued a review embargo for the PC version. No games or codes have been handed out to the press. Worth a mention?

5. gunny1993 says:

So far I’m prety impressed with the optimization they’ve done, this is certainly no IV, managing to get 40 solid FPS with most thing on max except advance graphics and tessellation on my 1440p monitor.

Vram usage seems pretty good, game tells me I need just over 2.2 gig and my card is sitting at a constant 1.9 gig usage

• SquidgyB says:

I didn’t get enough time to see frame rates this morning, but my Titan X/gsync/4k setup was running it at lovely smooth rates. I does look like a good port, from what little I saw of the game and the graphics settings.

Looking forward to playing this tonight.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Titan X? Gasp!

Pathetic 780ti peasant here, i can confirm all of the above but @1440p instead, everything maxed at that resolution with TXAA but no MSAA eats 2.8 GB of VRAM and it’s V-sync locked at 60fps on almost every situation bar flying in the middle of the map with everything in view and some other random mini stutters at times.

Once i find the culprit ( probably PCSS shadows ) even the little fluctuations should be solved. So yeah, perfectly optimized considering that no single open world game ever remotely looked like that, not one that is already released at least ( TW3 can’t come soon enough ).

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I meant FXAA

• SquidgyB says:

Yeah, no kids, girlfriend off work sick for 5 years but she still gets a bonus – hence; bonus!

I’m sure there are better/more productive things I could be spending oodles of money on, but this is my hobby (amongst other things). I know people in the same wage range as me who spend thousands on golf club membership… v0v

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, no judging, better less things but bigger in my book, especially if you don’t have many other “sinks”.

• Darkz0r says:

I’m also running 780ti @ 1440p VSYNC, everything is max but filters 2x or 4x. 1440p doesn’t need that much AA nyway.

I lowered draw distance just a bit since its enough anyways.

I got mini stutters sometimes at country side but someone told me to use grass on high and not ultra, I’ll try it! I’m also using nvidia shadows so it might be that too…

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

The grass things makes some serious changes, i guess that’s also because reducing that you also get less projected shadows.

Speaking of shadows, they have a big impact aswell, at least Nvidia’s one, and traditional soft shadows look great and less glitchy. I fear the only good way to use the luxury ones is by also maxing the other shadow options in the other tab aswell since they seem to suffer without huge shadow resolution, but that has the nasty side effect of being obscenely taxing. Soft shadows instead work great with shadows on “high” too.

After these small changes i got 60fps on the countryside aswell, at least 95% of the time. I’m gonna try to force triple buffering with Nvidia Inspector, some stutters are often just a byproduct of wonky V-sync when you don’t have enough spare power headroom, if that’s the case i should finally have managed to “cure” any single small hitch.

• XhomeB says:

You mean… Rockstar released a game that isn’t an unoptimized mess on release? WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!

Jokes aside, great news – it looks like a very well made PC version of Max Payne 3 was a sign of things to come. Will buy a retail copy on my way home from work.

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

Hello RPS knowledge peeps. I’ve never played GTA, but sort of half enjoyed a little bit of saints row 3 I think it was. I never get on with 3rd person games. So can this do first person mode, and if not is it just that good a game series that I should try it, if only for not being out of the loop on what the cool kids are into? Toca toca toca I’m hip I’m cool.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Just realised that sounds sarcastic. It’s not, it’s me being daft, serious question though

yhancik says:

This will really get interesting once combined with ridiculous mods :D

8. ElDopa says:

Nice Forrest Gump reference! :)

9. fish99 says:

The game seems beautifully optimized here. Running 1080p on a GTX970 with very close to full settings (TXAA instead of MSAA, DoF off because it’s ugly etc) and it looks to be around 60fps most of the time. It also works great with nvidia 3D Vision but that does require dropping settings since it involves rendering a frame for each eye, but oh boy the 3D looks great when driving in first person*. If the game gets VR support when Rift/Vive hit that’s gonna rock. Oh, and the rain looks awesome.

Also plays fine, mouse aiming is a big plus and the driving seems fine on mouse/keyboard.

(I’ll probably save 3D for a second playthrough though)

• SquidgyB says:

Any head tracking support at all right now? Barring just mapping the mouse/vJoy – I find those are the worst ways of implementing the feature compared to the normal FreeTrack/TrackNoIR/TrackIR/Opentrack setup.

• FieldyGB says:

According to twitter is a NO from Track IR link to twitter.com

Damn it will be cool when they do it though..

• SquidgyB says:

Boo/hiss. Yeah, it would be really quite the thing, especially in first person while flying/driving. In fact, I fear first person GTA flying might annoy me a bit in that sense – locked with a forward facing view feels really strange once you’re used to the freedom of head tracking.

10. Atomic Playboy says:

Jesus Christo, Rockstar’s servers are slow as molasses, I’m currently downloading GTA 5 at a whopping 100KB/ sec. I’m used to downloading games from steam at around 7MB/ sec…

link to abload.de

• Awesomeclaw says:

Yeah, I’ve been finding that I’m getting <100KB/s most of the time, with occasional jumps to max speed (which for me is ~13MB/s). I guess the servers are just getting hammered at the moment.

• Tinotoin says:

I found that a quick ‘Pause > Exit > Relaunch Downloader’ sped things up considerably for me.

• Atomic Playboy says:

And now, almost a full day later my download is almost ready… Awesome service that Rockstar Social Club!

11. Seraphithan says:

I just bought the boxed version, and holy shit, 7! Seven! Installation DVDs.

With a 60GB installation that isn’t really surprising, but still. The thing is as thick as two Game of Thrones seasons.

• elmuerte says:

After you went through those 7 DVDs you still have to download 5GiB from the slow Rockstar servers.

• Seraphithan says:

Still faster than downloading the whole thing. I hope.

• elmuerte says:

Depends if you call 100kB/s fast. My previous average was 20kB/s. The game is still 3 hours away for me to play (been installing it for 6 hours now).
          Steam download would probably have been faster.

• Seraphithan says:

Ha, looks like I got lucky. It’s updating at pretty much my max rate, which is still nearly two hours but still could be much worse.

And as I write that I loose the connection to the server xD

12. Dale Winton says:

I am downloading it (from rockstar) at 200 kb/s. I have 120mb/s internet. What a fucking joke

13. April March says:

I don’t know what that video was getting at, but now I feel like rewatching Forrest Gump and buying new sneakers.