Look At Samorost 3 And Feel A Little Happier

I’ll be danged if this new Samorost 3 [official site] trailer isn’t the most charming thing I’ve seen all week, and I see myself in the mirror every day (still single, ladies). We’ve been waiting so very long for the adventure game, and now we have this trailer to see and hear and news that it’ll launch in autumn or winter to know.

One might petulantly stomp their feet and pout that we’ve been longing for its loveliness for almost a decade now, but creators Amanita Design released Machinarium and Botanicula in that time so shhh settle down and enjoy the gentle exposition I wedged in with this paragraph.

Samorost, I suppose I should explain as it’s been so long and they’ll be new to some of y’all, is a series of delightful adventure games starring a little man who travels to tiny planets, solving puzzles meeting strange characters and wildlife. They look like gorgeous little dioramas made with crafting materials and household junk, and have an otherworldly soundtrack by Floex. They fill me with such delight and wonder.

I am keen to play another, especially as Amanita call 3 “our biggest and most ambitious game up to date.” If you haven’t played any, though, Samorost is free to play in your browser and so is Samorost 2’s demo. Please do.

You’re welcome to snort at that headline and mutter something about how I don’t get to tell you what to feel or do but man, chill out: watch this trailer and please report back.

1. skalpadda says:

I hope they’ve taken some of what they did with Machinarium and Botanicula on board for this. While Samorosts 1 et 2 were beautiful things they were also full of unsatisfying pixel-hunting puzzles. Machinarium was much better and actually engaged me in the puzzles, but Botanicula was the first Amanita game where I didn’t give up and just look up solutions so I could continue to look at the pretty pictures.

2. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Love Amanita’s games, looking forward to this. Started playing them after I’d given up such things but Samorost always seemed like a great thing to play on psychedelic drugs.

Skabooga says:

Man, I never want Amanita to branch out from what they do because I just enjoy their style so much. If Amanita keeps making Amanita games, I’ll be a happy person. I can get my variety from other places.

4. SlimShanks says:

Having seen the style of this game, it could be a point and click and I would still check it out. Amazing! It was presumably made by people who spend long hours in the outdoors,as the textures are really evocative of various nature scenes. Towards the end of the trailer everything looks like driftwood! Wow!
    Also, time to get a sex change!

5. XhomeB says:

Gorgeous.
    By the way, I reeeaaally want them to make Machinarium 2 at some point.

6. MistaJah says:

Touch support please! Windowses can be tablets too!

7. Fiatil says:

Botanicula is absolutely amazing, and because of that I have high hopes for this. I received a copy of the Samarosts along with it but wasn’t able to get to into them, mostly because they felt like more primitive versions of Botanicula at the time. This appears to be keeping all of the lessons of Botanicula and applying it back to their old universe, and that makes me happy. There can never be too many games that evoke such a sense of mysticism as these do.

8. Cytrom says:

I loved Machinarium, and Botanicula, and I’m a big fan of Amanita’s style.
    I’m sure this is gonna be cool too, but i kinda wish they’d have done something brand new…

9. field_studies says:

Wonderful news. I don’t know what I’m looking forward to more–another Samorost game or another Floex soundtrack!

Oakreef says:

I absolutely love Samorost’s mad photoshop job aesthetic, artefacts and all.

11. DrScuttles says:

Amanita games are the best things to play when you feel down. Botanicula filled me with such a joy when I was in a really bad place. I don’t normally find happiness or cutesy infectious and my apathy towards children and young animals has caused colleagues to question whether the very existence of my heart, but those little dudes in Botanicula. So happy!

12. Synesthesia says:

Is that house the carcass of the machinarium protagonist?

13. Deccan says:

Nice to see the wind-blasted macrocarpas of the southern New Zealand islands appearing in a game!

No one does “exquisite visual feast” in quite the same way as Amanita.

14. Jackablade says:

Juchu!

pertusaria says:

Thanks Alice! I know I’m late to the party, but it’s great to hear about this. I love how the Samorost environments use lichens, mosses and so forth.