Avast: World Of Warcraft Adding Garrison Shipyards

For a game supposedly about war and the crafting of warthings, World of Warcraft [official site] doesn’t have much of any of that. Mostly the Horde and Alliance stand on opposite sides of the warhall sneering and occasionally yelling e.g. “You’re rubbish you are!” The Warlords of Draenor expansion did add a little warcrafting, though, letting folks build and upgrade their own garrison.

Now Blizzard are expanding that to include warboatcrafting, rolling out shipyards. You won’t sail them around engaging in actual war, of course, but at least you can feel comfortable that you totally could and would if those cowards would dare come round your manor.

Shipyards let garrison owners build ships to send out on missions, which sounds like floating Followers basically. That’s less exciting than one might hope. Blueprints in the game suggest you’ll get to build destroyers, submarines, and other naval units that got on my tits in ye olde non-World-of Warcrafts. Building a shipyard will also open up access to 6.2’s new zone, the Tanaan Jungle.

Shipyards arrived on the test realms in patch 6.2, and will sail away to the four corners of the warglobe after testing wraps up. The patch adds a new raid and loads of other things too, so do hit the patch notes if you want to know it all.

Reddit user ‘Riverdare’ snapped a few photos of the Alliance shipyard, including that one up top. Pretty, that is. The Horde shipyard looks pretty goofy.

1. Cryptoshrimp says:

Well, this, to me, proves that the set designers for this expansion really don’t like the Horde. Our garrison is awful compared to the Alliance’s, both in structure as in location, and the shipyard seems to continue this trend. Why they went with the most boring of orcish architecture available to them, I’ll never know.

• mtomto says:

I played wow a few years back (horde), and I tried getting back to wow recently. Maybe I’m the nostalgic type, but I really hate the new Orgrimmar, and I agree with you that the horde harbour is fugly.

By the way… I haven’t heard of any new MMOs recently – have they finally given up copying wow? lol

2. Gap Gen says:

I have no particular interest in levelling up a character on this but I love the idea of just wandering around a huge world someone’s made and keeps adding to. I suppose a bit like Minecraft server tourism.

3. XhomeB says:

WarCraft 4 will feature naval units, then. And pick up where The Frozen Throne left off, ignoring the damage WoW dealt to WarCraft’s lore. Weeee.

Hey, a man can dream.

• Monggerel says:

You keep using that word, nerds. “Lore”. I do not think it means what you think it means.

• Koozer says:

“The space between the eye and the base of the bill of a bird or between the eye and nostril of a snake.”

Yeah you’re right, what on earth is everyone thinking?

• Gap Gen says:

I mean, WC2 had naval units, so it’s not so revolutionary.

4. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The Alliance one looks fine, unless you look at it from afar (the next-to-last screenshot in that imgur album). Then it looks like a template rather than a reasonably fortified place of strategic importance. It could be that’s a screenshot of an unfinished shipyard, but it still looks a bit off.

5. Chicago Ted says:

KanColle: WoW edition will somehow be even worse than regular kancolle

Qazinsky says:

Well, since you tangentially touch on it with that joke in the beginning, I’m going to take this opportunity to complain on one of my pet peeves:

“I thought this was called World of WARcraft!” as if that sentence somehow supports more PvP or anything like that.

1. There is war, have always been war, it’s just not Horde versus Alliance, it’s against the forces trying to destroy the world (I think Sargeras leads it all, but I don’t keep up with lore that much).

2. You’re splitting upp the word wrong, it is Warcraft as a name for the IP the game is based on. They could have a game about a tauren having a picnic with a gnome and using Warcraft in the name would be apt!

7. bleeters says:

Since I haven’t touched WoW in years, I feel compelled to ask: can you not influence the design of your fortress? is it just a pre-made instanced template you inhabit with a few npcs to send out on missions?

Because that’s the impression I’ve gotten, and it sounds kind of boring.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

It’s pretty much just a set template. You do have building choices which alter the functionality and appearance of your garrison somewhat but these buildings are in pre-determined positions. So no designing your layout fully.

• Cryptoshrimp says:

You can influence it to a certain degree – most notably what buildings to put in it. For example, you can choose between barracks for more troops, an armoury, or a mage tower. Then you have a selection of smaller, less interesting, but more practical buildings – extra resources, or buildings that let you advance tradeskills.

You can also change the race of the guards, but the architecture is always (sans goblin/gnomish workshop) either human or orcish. You can – alas – not change that, though I imagine it has become WoW’s most-requested feature.

• bleeters says:

Fair enough. That sounds better than I expected, at least.