Space Hulk: Ascension Expansion Sends In The Deathwing

Part of the service we provide here at RPS is, I’m sure you won’t mind me so candidly saying, providing a space for mostly-former Games Workshop fans to get all misty-eyed remembering their teenage years and chatting with similar sorts about all they’ve missed since they became Grown-Ups and oh god why did they become Grown-Ups? We do this by posting about Warhammer 40K games maybe just a little more than would otherwise be warranted.

Look, a new DLC expansion for Space Hulk: Ascension [official site] is out, with a story by one of the folks behind those 40K Black Library books you talk about when you think I’m not listening.

The Dark Angels expansion introduces the sullen Dark Angels chapter and their Deathwing terminator company, as well as a healing Apothecary class, and a hefty plasma cannon to fling hot joy at Tyranids. Its new story campaign is an adaptation of the tabletop Bringer of Sorrow campaign, written by occasional Black Library author Graeme Lyon. Deathwing also boshes in another 20 flash missions, and all these new opportunities to purge Tyranids are playable by other chapters too. Developers Full Control say it’ll all take you about 25 hours to get through.

The expansion’s £5.09 on Steam for the next week, after which it’ll go up to £5.59.

One might even consider this a thematic prelude to Space Hulk: Deathwing, the upcoming FPS-RPG which will also see the Deathwing stomping around a space hulk. I am awfully curious to see how that will turn out, especially after that surprising trailer.

Full Control, if you missed the news, have kinda sorta stopped making games. They said they’d continue to support Space Hulk, but it’s not clear what that would involve once this expansion was out. Mysteries.

1. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Any idea when they’re going to finish doing these DLCs? These are very generous with the number of missions and stuff and I’ll almost certainly get the game sometime, but I’d like to get the complete game, (which I originally thought was what Ascension was over the old Space Hulk, but that’s another matter,) and am a bit reluctant to pick it up when there might be yet more to buy.

• ThomasLund says:

We are doing 1 more expansion yet before calling it “the end”. Best guess for a release is possibly in a months time from now. But I think there is about 150+ hours in a single playthrough of the game currently, so if you get it now and then start playing – then you might be done when we release the last DLC :-D

2. padger says:

Ah, the Terminators of my youth… *wipes away single tear.*

phuzz says:

I choose to believe you post about 40K games because Kieron wrote it onto the contracts before he left…

4. sonofsanta says:

And a much appreciated service it is too. I’ve lost entire afternoons to links spawned from these comments sections.

5. Vacuity729 says:

Alice, why did you remind me I’ve become a grown up? I was in sweet, sweet denial up until I read that line.

6. Zekiel says:

Did we decide this (base) game was worth buying on PC? I bought the original (non-Ascension) version on iPad and got bored of it fairly rapidly since it just took forever to do anything (and what you were doing wasn’t interesting enough). Do the extra videogame adaptions of Ascension make it worthwhile?

• Continuity says:

Thats the consensus, I haven’t played it myself yet but its firmly on my wish list.

7. Asurmen says:

I’ve recently fallen back off the 40k wagon after 10 years because a friend, who was a 40k virgin, decided to start playing. This then leads to another 2 friends and my brother joining in. I wanted to watch a game or two, maybe think about collecting again because I need a hobby with long term goals because I need some more motivation in my life.

And omg I suddenly have a hardback 6th Ed Eldar codex and hardback rulebooks and a Wraithknight and a Wraithlord and some new Guardians and some new Dire Avengers and Vypers and oh look the 7th Ed Eldar codex is coming out with new Jetbikes and help.

The rulebook keeps having these little insert boxes called Forging a Narrative, basically giving you ideas as to why your army is completely ripping up the fluff as long as you justify it enough. Yeah, well, my bank account is Forging a Narrative right to Empty Hell, you GW barstewards.

• Continuity says:

7th edition? holy hell.

• EhexT says:

Yeah tabletop Warhammer has gone pretty crazy lately – now there’s aircraft in the standard army lists instead of being a weird optional thing (and space marines are dropping dreadnoughts out of flying transports – things are crazy), magic got standardized and pretty much everyone has access to it and it seems generally faster and more well thought out. Unfortunately the release cycle has also accelerated and prices haven’t dropped so it’s more expensive than ever.

Personally I recommend getting into Warhammer Conquest. That’s a fraction of the cost and it’s still delicious grimdark strategy and tactics.

AtlasIsKing says:

I have been a daily (sometimes more like hourly) reader of RPS for years and a supporter for a few months. I basically read RPS more than I play video games these days. This is my first ever comment on the website and I just want to say that the first paragraph of this article is the most accurate description of why I keep coming back for more. It’s not the whole reason why I love RPS, but it exemplifies why I always come back for more.

Love you guys.