MOT Failure – Carmageddon: Reincarnation Delayed

When midnight sirens lead to blue flash road mash, stretchers, covered heads, and slippy red maca- wait, wait, I’ll have to rip off Jam another time. Carmageddon: Reincarnation [official site] was due to wrap up its stretch on Steam Early Access next week and join the glorious ranks of finished games, but it isn’t. Finished or coming out next week, that is. Both.

Developers Stainless Games have announced that they’re pushing the release date back by one month, from April 23rd to May 21st. They need a little more time, they say. Well, you wouldn’t want to launch an unfinished game out of Early Access, would you? I suspect it’s probably also sensible to duck out the way of the redonculously popular new kid on the car murder scene, GTA V.

Executive director Neil Barnden explained in the announement.

“We’ve been making great strides on all fronts, and were within a metric smidge of releasing next week, but in our final ‘Go/No Go’ meeting we all agreed that the extra time was needed. The additional month gives us time to polish various areas of the game even further.

“I know that many of you have expressed the opinion that you’d rather we brought you a better game than release too soon. And we agree!”

Fair do! With an extra month of development, they’ll also drop another update before May 21st.

1. Sandepande says:

Perhaps they’ll get around sorting the not terribly well optimised engine.

• Windows98 says:

Here’s hoping. Performance has been abysmal since the alpha, but this is usually one of the things that gets a lot of focus late in development.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

With that you mean it’s the same mess as some months ago??

• melnificent says:

I don’t think there hasn’t been a new public build for months now. One is due before release, so fingers crossed it has all the bells and whistles optimised

2. Scurra says:

For a game that’s only two years late already, I’m surprised how easy a ride Carmageddon has been getting, compared to, um, some games I could mention…

• blainestereo says:

Goes to show that proper community management is important.
      Also having a community that is not 90% autism ridden manbabies probably helps.

• Snargelfargen says:

You know I hadn’t thought of it before, but anybody who’s waiting pfor another Carmageddon game is probably a pretty mellow, agreeable individual.

Just a game about crashin’ into stuff. No pretention here, and while there are leaderboards, half of the fun is from stunts gone wrong and the off key humour.

3. Ethaor says:

Technical issues aside it’s a nice Carmageddon game and tickles the old fans in the right places. I just wish it would have been modeled after the 2 rather than the first, I loved having to save money and buy the car you wanted at the end of a round. “Stealing” one car randomnly every round for you to add in your collection isn’t as rewarding.

• SquidgyB says:

Oh, that’s a shame :(

I backed them early on, but haven’t played more than a curious hour or so a few months ago when I came to the conclusion “yes, it’s Carmageddon (yay!), yes it’s half finished, yes I’ll wait until release” – I didn’t visit the forums and sort of assumed that it would be like C2 just because, well, that was my favourite and the one I remember most.

I do prefer the “saving up” mechanic. Is there any indication that this may be an optional feature, or is this “the way it is”? Maybe I should just go look at the forums and find out rather than asking here… :P

4. DrLeoWollman says:

Then welcome…

mmm…blue chemotherapy wig…

5. Bweahns says:

Good old Jam. I just started watching that again for the second time.

6. James says:

Their efforts may be made redundant with the inevitable GTA V Carmaggedon mod.

• PancakeWizard says:

I don’t think GTA can ever be a substitute for the Carmageddon car physics/destruction model.

7. Fumarole says:

These delays are really getting quite tired.