Crypt Of The Necrodancer Hits The Floor On April 23rd

Crypt of the Necrodancer [official site] has been shuffling through Early Access for some time, even though it impressed Alec with its very first flick of the hips. Now the rhythm-based roguelike has a full launch date and it’s April 23rd, which is next week. There’s a new trailer below to prove it.

Necrodancer has you moving to the beat of its excellent chiptunes, pushing you to maintain a rhythm combo even as you dance with dragons, minotaurs and other traditional fantasy beasties. It’s sort of a turn-based game that challenges you to play it in real-time, in other words. Of course, you can also jam your own music in there if you want to slay monsters to your secret N*Sync collection.

If the trailer above doesn’t satisfy, here’s our Quinns explaining why it’s rhythm mechanic is more than just an opportunity to get down with your bad self:

1. LTK says:

More and more characters have been added in the Early Access version that weren’t available before, but they’ve still held back a lot of content for the final release. The fourth (purple) zone and all of its enemies, as well as the final boss, have been a mystery until I saw them in the launch trailer.

I’ve put over 100 hours in the game already and I’m not tired of it yet. I can’t wait to see what they’ve got in store for the end game!

• Shouldbeworking says:

Isn’t it great? This game is my cryptonite. Apparently I’m at 147 hours and it’s still my go-to game. Most recently I’ve been trying to get Monk through, but inevitably I touch some gold on World 2 and BOOM game over. I’m assuming the new music in the trailer is from World 4, which sounds dauntingly fast! So yeah, colour me excited.

2. TonyB says:

One of my favourite games of last year (as Alec said, it never felt incomplete even way back in Alpha), still playing it now. The official release sounds like a decent excuse to include it in my favourite games of this year too.

3. Synesthesia says:

I can’t get past the second zone, and I aced some very hard levels of beatmania. I feel old!

• epeternally says:

Use the practice mode against individual enemies if particular ones are giving you trouble and get the whip if at all possible. That’s what worked for me, at least. Both of my successful zone 2 runs were whip based. It’s definitely a challenge, though, and took me a lot of practice. Zone 3 is harder still, though I think it’s more fun. I felt like zone 2 was a bit of a letdown after how great zone 1 was, I just didn’t find it as interesting.

• Crafter says:

play, play and play again.
      Each run is an opportunity to learn more about the rules of the game.
      You need to know exactly how each enemy move and attacks.
      Once the enemies can’t surprise you anymore, world 2 is not that hard. The real difficulty is to think your next moves fast enough in order to avoid all the threats and exploit the game mechanics (wind spell, rolling enemy, bouncing trap, …).

4. jenniferehuston says:

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Thursday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go.to tech tab for work detail………..
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://w­­­­w­­­­w­­­­.j­­­­o­­­­b­­­­s­­­­a­­­­u­­­­d­­­­i­­­­t­­­­­­­.­­­­C­­­­o­­­­M

Phasma Felis says:

This game is so great, you guys.

6. Nixitur says:

Pretty sure the music in this game is not even remotely chiptunes. This is chiptunes. The Crypt of the Necrodancer music certainly borrows from chiptunes in some parts, but only just barely.

In any case, Crypt of the Necrodancer is great. I personally “only” played it for 16 hours and never finished all-zones mode, but I really appreciate what it’s doing.

7. Jalan says:

Started to get excited when I saw Danny B’s tweet about him finishing up the mastering for the soundtrack.

8. Harry_Mess says:

Haha, awesome!

Picked up this game in early access months ago, and played it for a few hours then decided to wait until final release. (As I did – and am still doing – with Starbound)

Excited to see the final release is so soon, so I can some groovin’ dungeon crawling another go!

9. caff says:

Right, another game to add to the huge plethora of stuff that I should be playing but probably spend more time reading about.