Shiny Bang Boom: Gratuitous Space Battles 2 Released

'splode-o!

It’s always nice to have a demonstration what a complete fool you are and how poorly you think things through. Humbling. Gratuitous Space Battles offered that experience with huge spacefights where your input ends as soon as the battle begins, and all you can do is watch as the plans you laid, the issues you ordered, and the ships you designed failed spectacularly to deal with the enemy’s far superior plan. Or maybe you were good at it. I don’t know.

Either way, you may get something out of Gratuitous Space Battles 2 [official site], which launched yesterday.

Grat Spa Bat 2 brings oodles more parts to build ships from, and lets players customise their appearance far more too. I dread to imagine the crudities players will create, by which I mean I’ll probably giggle at them. Prettiness is a big part of the sequel too, with far fancier graphics at least giving you a nicer show as you watch your hubris play out. Balance is given a firm going-over too. It doesn’t massively change the core, but would you want that from a sequel?

It’s on Steam, GOG, Humble and direct from Positech for about £19. If you’re thinking “Didn’t this come out in, like, February?” nah, that was the beta.

“Just be sure to mention that the guy in the trailer says DO MY DOODY” demands Alec. Done!

1. Hunchback says:

Why does the guy in the video sound like a recording of a 70s US president speach prior to invading some random country? Have they gone back to using magnetic tape and AM waves in the far future?

2. yuramiah says:

I really enjoyed the firs one, will definitely be picking this up once I have a bit of dosh.

3. Cinek says:

Is it any good, or is it just a remake of the original GSB where min/maxing and hard counters were the best thing to do?

• phuzz says:

I guessed there was probably some ‘ideal’ strategies for GSB (the first), but I could never work out what they were, so I could usually only win fights by blobbing, and even then only a minority of the time.
      I guess a better explanation of what affected which numbers would have helped.

4. Eleven says:

I really like the original despite it’s faults, and I’m a bit worried that all the stuff Cliffski’s been showing doesn’t really address the balance issues the first game had. In a game that’s about endless tweaking and customisation, there really shouldn’t builds that are so much better than any other that they become mandatory.

There were some frankly bad balancing of modules, with some systems being useful in more situations than any other choice. Competitive fleets were almost required to win on numbers with as many cheap cruisers as possible, as more expensive ships got easily overwhelmed, and frigates never really served any purpose for species that weren’t specialised in them. The orders system was also very vague and often didn’t made a noticeable difference to how your ships performed.

5. Ejia says:

I never got that deep into the first one, but I do enjoy watching those giant lasers splash harmlessly against shields. I suppose I enjoy giant lasers in general, anyway.

6. EhexT says:

The big question that none of the GSB2 marketing reveals is:
    Does GSB2 include the direct fleet control that got eventually added to GSB1 or is it back to purely pre-battle coding?