Totes A Moon – Star Wars: Battlefront Trailer And Details

I’m not one for Star Wars myself, but the trailer announcing a release date for Star Wars: Battlefront [official site] – November 17th, forcefans – still made me coo and aah at its many exciting explosions. Spacemen and their weird vehicles buzzing around exotic locales look great, yeah. It’s got all your favourites: the robocow, crossjets, hoverbikes, the notorious Crumpet Eagle, Johnny Rockets, and even that mean black Cylon with his lasersword. I am far more interested in the unreal possibilities of sci-fi face-shooting than humdrum real-world jazz.

Seriously though, come see how gorgeous a virtual Endor the Battlefield folks DICE have made:

They call this “game engine footage”. It’s obviously all staged, so it’s not gameplay, and I expect the finished game will be less pretty. Still! I recently visited some of the redwood forests used as filimg locations for Endor (Wookipedia says the name is used for both the gas giant and its forest moon, pedants) and pine for those trees. I am delighted by how big and colourful and exciting they look here. What great trees!

I suppose you, being less enthusiastic about trees, may want details about the game. Fine, fine.

You’ve probably already guessed that DICE are doing their Battlefield-y sort of thing. It’ll offer 40-player battles with Star Wars locations, characters, weapons, and vehicles. On top of that, it’ll have single-player “crafted missions” and co-op. They’ve certainly got a lot of exciting cinematic set pieces they could draw upon for those.

This being an Electronic Arts game, they have an icky pre-order thing going on. Folks who slap down cash early will get access to the Battle of Jakku one week earlier than everyone else. This, I’m told, “precedes the events of Star Wars: The Force Awakens“. It’s a small thing but bluh.

1. Roritharr says:

> Instead of a story-driven campaign, Star Wars: Battlefront features a series of missions, playable alone or via online and local co-op.
    > Star Wars: Battlefront won’t feature space battles, either, as DICE wants to focus instead on “planetary battles.”

• Orija says:

Also, getting a killstreak lets you play as Vader or Boba. No, really.

• James says:

Before you spevulate consider that they may simply mimic the standard hero system of Battlefront. After a period of time whoever had the most kills (or it might be points) gets to play as Boba/Vader/Luke etc. Hopefully they will do that, otherwise matches will devolve into teams using swarms of heros to utterly wreck the enemy, both in the sense of points and fun. It would be a rather poor design decision to make it purely a matter of kills, the only workaround I can think of is if it was a large killstreak, given the scale of the battles that would have to be 10+ to avoid more than a couple of heros on the map at once. More than that and it would get messy with actual people playing.

• Bereil says:

Exactly. That’s sounds like a better mechanic than players being shoehorned into being the best possible “class,” and having 20 Darth Vaders and 20 Luke Skywalkers battling it out.

Actually, that could be fun, hopefully that’s an option for private servers – if they’re still allowing those.

• Vin_Howard says:

Hahahaha, EA allowing private servers or anything else that could keep the game alive and cut into the sales of sequels? We’ll sooner see the day pigs fly…

• Spluff says:

I believe space battles are being released in the (free) 1st DLC that comes out when the new movie comes out.

• SuicideKing says:

I don’t think so. PCG explicitly asked them about space battles, they said that they’re focusing on planetary stuff. And the movie doesn’t seem to indicate space battles either.

• MaisieWallace says:

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online. My sisters friend has been averaging 15k for months now and she works about 20 hours a week. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out. This is what I do… http://www.globe-report.com

2. Tripkebab says:

Hate to say it *cos it’s ea and all* but if the games as good as the trailer I’ll have to give it a go.

• ukpanik says:

“if the games as good as the trailer”

Good luck with that.

3. Freud says:

Star Wars: The DLC menace.

4. eggy toast says:

Not only is it totes a moon but the rebbles are supes jels over the death star.

• eggy toast says:

I’m not being edgy. I totes enjoy talking like a 12 year old girl.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Like, so do I? Its really cool? And stuff?
        /universalteenagerfromanycountrywhohasseenamericanteenmovies_speak

• eggy toast says:

I’m a grown ass man but I sure do text like a 12 year old at her first babysitting gig.

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

So.. Darth Vader ALWAYS wore that kinky BDSM neck chain, right?

• eggy toast says:

I think so, it’s part of the cape

• airmikee says:

Seven chain links clearly connected to the cape qualifies as BDSM? I’m guessing you just barely learned that term and don’t actually understand what it means.

6. wengart says:

Little disappointed to hear that it is only 40 players. Battlefield, Red Orchestra, and Arma have spoiled me a bit.

Although I guess the 64 player servers on BF were always a little too hectic.

• Bastimoo says:

Well, considering there are currently 128 Player battles in the Battlefield 2 mods Project Reality and Forgotten Hope 2, which are still running… Shame DICE doesn’t pull off anything bigger than 40.

7. Synesthesia says:

I absolutely abhor EA, and i never cared much about star wars, but I want to play some space battlefield fucking yesterday.

8. Lord_Mordja says:

Not gonna lie; I’m more into this for the Battlefield than the Star Wars. I’m just happy DICE is finally getting away from the modern era, so bring on the blasters and lightsabers!

• James says:

At best you will get what you want. At worst you will get Battelfield in Star Wars skin, and BF Hardline has shown that such a way of doing things is already repetitive and dull. But the ‘engine footage’ does at least let me be cautiously optimistic that it will look nice.

9. Sunjammer says:

“in engine” means *nothing* without the specs running it. Any game engine running a cinematic can dump frames like any other offline renderer.

10. suibhne says:

I want to believe…but c’mon, DICE has apparently lost all ability to deliver a working, compelling product at release. BF:BC2 was a slight mess, BF3 was much more of a mess, BF4 was a super duper mess, and Hardline inherits some still-unfixed bugs in BF4 – while conveniently benefiting from all of the post-release work that finally made BF4 fairly playable more than a year after release. This game represents a much bigger iteration over the BF4 engine and gameplay than Hardline delivered, and DICE’s track record should inspire absolute certainty that this will be a disaster through at least the first half of 2016.

• wengart says:

I never got the BF4 had problems thing.

My friends and I played for 2 months directly after release pretty heavily. It didn’t have any problems and I didn’t see any large scale complaining anywhere. About a week or so after I quit I saw a weird retrograde “BF4 is broken, how can DLC?” backlash occur.

• suibhne says:

It’s like we were in different worlds. I played dozens of hours with mates and saw constant frustrations and problems – all kinds of sound errors, weapon problems, graphical issues, etc. We routinely played on servers where the sound would practically cut out for the entire match, and there were plenty of other problems. And by the time DICE got around to fixing the rubber-banding problem (which, to be fair, was also present in BF3 tho less severe), they made things even worse with the DLC.

DICE publicly apologized for the state of the game. I’m not sure why they’d do that if nobody was complaining until the DLC release.

• Alegis says:

And 7 months from release they don’t dare to show gameplay material at a special Star Wars event.

That should make everyone cautious enough not to pre-order.

• Razumen says:

No one should pre-order period. There’s literally no point to it in a digital distribution system.

• SuicideKing says:

I don’t pre-order anymore – heck, I stopped buying EA after BF3. But yeah, I noticed that too – no proper gameplay (I think I read/heard someone say “Alpha footage”) this close to release means it’s going to be a mess.

This should be the early Beta phase, with maybe an announcement for closed public testing in another month or two.

• Askis says:

No real gameplay but a firm release date in 7 months sounds to me like they’re being pushed hard to shove the game on the market before the launch of the new movie.
        Which is why I expect it to be an unfinished, buggy mess and will hold off until it’s confirmed to be fully working, maybe they’ll surprise me with a good launch, maybe I’ll wait a year, but I can’t be arsed to work as EA’s unpaid beta tester.

• suibhne says:

The only recent BF game that didn’t suffer from massive bugs at release was Hardline, and that just proves your point. In addition to benefiting from all DICE’s crow-eating focus on fixing BF4, Hardline also had its release date pushed way back in order to get more time in the oven – something that isn’t an option for this title due to the movie tie-in.

• JulianBuzz says:

I attended the event, and they did in fact show a 6 minute gameplay demo (if you were willing to brave to 2-4 hour line). The only thing is, the demo was exclusive to the event, and they claim to be wiping it from their hardrives today.

The demo did look nice. All set on Endor, like much of the trailer.

11. Cinek says:

So…
    – No space battles
    – No 64 players
    – No campaign
    – DLC whoring since the first trailer
    – Building up hype full speed over half a year before the release
    – Probably a DLC making everyone run with idiotic cross-sabers
    …no buy.

Nathan says:

For the DLC, isn’t this just a level that’s being held back until the film comes out? That isn’t exactly unreasonable… (and a week of early access for pre-orders isn’t the most insulting pre-order offer ever).

Battlefront space battles were always a bit poor anyway, and that’s not really a DICE core competency. I’d rather see them focus on the good bits than end up with a shoddy box-ticking space combat thing.

• ran93r says:

I see all those negatives.
      I agree with all those negatives.

…. I’m sitting on Origin trying very fucking hard not to pre-order.
      I have been really good since BF4 and not pre-ordered anything but this might actually break me.

• derbefrier says:

in spite of all that i will still buy it because Star Wars. I can live with the smaller player numbers having more people doesnt make a better game. I can live without space battles, Hype is a stupid reason not buy something, DLC is no big deal either and its EA so it was expected.

IT will be difficult for this game not to be fun. IT may not be everything i wanted but that doesn’t mean it will be a bad game.

I wont pre order though. I’ll wait the required week or so for them to iron out the inevitable launch issues that comes with big multiplayer games then i will scoop it up and have a blast.

• Orija says:

You could’ve just said “EA”. But I guess it doesn’t matter, people will throw their money at it anyway, and then we’ll see them bitching about how bad the game was on every article.

12. fr3udes says:

This is just a stupid FPS. Just. A. Stupid. FPS. I could cry. All this beautiful technology for nothing. No campaign, no story, no content. We could have had a giganormous KOTOR. But no. Pew pew gun game. This world suck.

• eggy toast says:

The made a KOTOR MMO for you

• fr3udes says:

You know i dunnot want an mmo, no sane people wants an mmo, so why do you bring swotor which was an already big disappointment because it should have been Kotor 3 and it’s just a damn stupid mmo ?? A.Damn.Stupid.MMO. They keep disappointing us, don’t you see.

• Cederic says:

As James said, the MMO has multiple fully realised storylines for you to explore. Just play it as a single-player game.

• Phantom_Renegade says:

You can play swtor as a singleplayer game. I’ve done that. It just isn’t any fun. First, the MMO like controls remind you constantly that it is an mmo. Two, a lot of the side missions are far too difficult to solo at the level you get them. Third, the amount of grinding necessary to do the main missions solo is so much it kills any enjoyment you might have gotten out of it. Fourthly, a single player game should not require me to put money into it every month. And looking at the f2p feature list, in order to actually play it singleplayer and not have to grind even more and not deal with even more arbitrary wait times, you need a sub.

So in conclusion, you can play it as a singleplayer game. If you hate yourself and do not value your time.

• James says:

Try SWTOR – you get 8 award winning storylines for free*

*EA would like to point out that time is free

• airmikee says:

Why is it one or the other? DICE doesn’t have the IP rights to make KOTOR3, those still reside at Obsidian. So what difference does it make if DICE makes an FPS game in the Star Wars universe. And as others have said, if you truly wanted to play a new KOTOR, you’d already be playing SWTOR.

• bleeters says:

I’m not sure I’d really consider swtor as equivilant to a hypothetical kotor3, and I say that as one of those seemingly rare people who actually liked swtor. The class stories were great, but the whole mmo thing brings an awful lot of baggage that I can fully appreciate people who’re just into rpgs and/or stories in general might not want to deal with.

• airmikee says:

I love KOTOR, even bought a used Xbox a few years ago just to play KOTOR1 & 2 again (just a few weeks before the announcement that both games would be available on Steam.) I like SW:ToR, and putting aside the stupid multiplayer crap I feel it’s a perfect spiritual successor to the KOTOR games. Luckily enough, or by design, SW:ToR isn’t one of those MMO’s that requires one to engage in the multiplayer in order to get the full game experience. And they’ve even taken MMO’s to a different level with the tactical flashpoints that don’t require a group that follows the holy tank-healer-dps trinity setup, so in case one does feel the masochistic urge to play a video game with strangers it doesn’t have to be such a painful experience.

I’m still hopeful that Obsidian will finally get off their collective ass and make KOTOR3 or sell the rights to someone that will make it, but until then, SW:ToR scratches the right itches.

• suibhne says:

I have no idea where you got the idea that Obsidian has any legal rights to make an additional Star Wars game. They don’t. Obsidian seemed hopeful about an additional SW game contract at one point, but Lucasarts always held the rights and declined to contract Obsidian (or anyone else) for a KotOR3.

• cshralla says:

Given that you haven’t played it or seen it, I’m curious as to how you know that it’s “just a stupid FPS.”

• fr3udes says:

Well… should we need to see more ? Battlefield ? Battlefront ? FPS ? No campaign ? Of course you ‘ll just run, get cover and… pew pew.

• JulianBuzz says:

Honestly dude, this is probably just the first of a slew of new Star Wars games to come out in the next few years.

13. Flavour Beans says:

Alice channeling her inner Malcolm Tucker with her description. link to youtube.com

“The guy, he’s got a tin-foil pal and a pedal bin.”

Dorga says:

Well I say it has at least twice as many graphics ad battlefield.

15. pilouuuu says:

How many midichlorians would be required to play a game that looks as good as that trailer?

• EhexT says:

Can you run Battlefield 4’s singleplayer on maximum settings? This doesn’t look any more taxing than that. So a decent amount of midichlorians in your GPU, but not approaching Titan level midichlorians.

• gunny1993 says:

You need a jar jar binks level GPU with some coarse, rough sand

16. Mitthrawn says:

I hate the internet. Let me be happy about a new fucking star wars game. From Dice! They did battlefield, which battlefront blatantly stole from! Probably the best developer to have the license! I’m excited, it’s a new Star Wars Fucking Battlefront! Ok, now back to the scheduled negativity & pessimism…

Also Alice, really no star wars love? Where’s your nerd card? That’s a demerit. Just don’t ask me about Doctor Who. He’s a doctor, right? Or something…

• Synesthesia says:

Yes! You are not broken. Fist bump!

• Alice O'Connor says:

I don’t have a nerd card.

• Asurmen says:

That’s because you had to head downtown and hand in your Nerd Badge and Nerf gun because you told the Captain you have no love for Star Wars.

• simontifik says:

I hear you brother, I’m damn excited too. Battlefield 4 is my game to boot up on a Friday evening after a rough week at work with a six pack and a souvlaki and man-shoot that week away. Now I can do that with LIGHTSABERS!

17. EhexT says:

“They call this “game engine footage”. It’s obviously all staged, so it’s not gameplay, and I expect the finished game will be less pretty. ”
    Um, why would you think that considering Battlefield 3 already looked like that in singleplayer? If there’s anything believable in that thing (and it sure isn’t the choreography – that is obviously staged/faked), it’s the graphics. They’re hardly unbelievably pretty – they’re incredibly pretty, but since BF3’s singleplayer that’s exactly DICEs modus operandi.

• Razumen says:

Ya, I don’t think DICE has ever really done bullshots, most if not all of their games actually end up looking better (On full settings) than the promotional materials before release. I don’t think this will be any different. The trailer looks great, and there are probably some cinematic effects added in that would be hard to properly do during gameplay, but I don’t think it’s at all unrealistic to think that these are realtime graphics.

• cshralla says:

The final game won’t look anywhere near that good. DICE has consistently used bullshots in marketing.

artrexdenthur says:

*Tries to keep calm and remain neutral*

I’M SO EXCITED!!!!

19. kud13 says:

I am happy for the FPS fans. And for the Star Wars fans.

Now, where’s the Mirror’s Edge 2 news to make ME happy, DICE?

Nathan says:

Really, it’s a good thing that Mirror’s Edge 2 news wasn’t announced at Star Wars: Celebration.

Hopefully they’ll say something at E3, but if it’s not due out until next year, then maybe not.

20. Bine says:

Too freaking excited. They better darn well have the battlefields littered with tons of Ai guys like the older battlefronts. The older games had goofy AI but it is what made battlefront… battlefront.

Also. Pleasepleasepleeeeeease don’t let the hero play be goofy as heck. Battlefront 2’s lightsabre users were so… ugh… to play.

21. Jade Raven says:

It’s spelled “Wookieepedia”, that’s a double e there.

22. LuNatic says:

Why do the rebels always win in trailers? Can’t we get a video where the traitorous scum get what’s coming to them?

23. SuicideKing says:

Well, I guess a lot of this was to be expected considering it’s DICE handling a Battlefront game; but I really wanted to play Star Wars 1313.

• airmikee says:

Disney has said they’re open to licensing out SW1313 to an outside studio, but so far there hasn’t been any more news than that. Here’s to hoping it actually happens.

24. hamilcarp says:

A lot of cynicism about this, some of well deserved, but I for one will have a grand old time playing playing Battlefield: Star Wars no matter what the price point is or how many money grubbing DLCs they churn out. I’m excited for this game, and it is rare feeling indeed.

25. uh20 says:

Do I sense the battlefield running animation in this render?

26. AyeBraine says:

Interesting thing is, the rebel AT trooper definitely uses a good old M1A1 Bazooka! AFAIK, only M1A1 has this distinctive exhaust basket on a plain skinny launch tube. Did they use/show Bazooka in the original movie on Endor?

Very cool and pretty, anyway!

27. Phantom_Renegade says:

No proper bot matches. No Galactic Conquest. No campaign. No space battles. No Clone Wars era. Why even bother making the game then? Why not just release a Star Wars skin for the last battlefield as DLC? Count me as incredibly sceptical.

• EhexT says:

Why would then when they managed to sell a police and robbers skin DLC, which was a lot less work, as a full price game?