The RPS Bargain Bucket: Bunny You Didn’t Guess That

In case anyone was curious as to what I was squeaking about last week, this happened. Totally snoopydance material, don’t you think? But that’s plow on, and plough deep into the fields of interactive excess. This week, we cheat a little with the whole ‘bucket’ requirement of user-submitted plushie. Isn’t this midnight-black bunny from rgk worth the exception? Come on, guys. Tell me it isn’t.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
$5.96/£3.99/€3.99
Is this the cheapest the game has been? Possibly. Certainly, it’s the cheapest you can find right now. It stars the katana-wielding Raiden, the cyborg with a million armor variants. (Ssh. Hyperbole. I know.) Don’t judge me. Despite some raised eyebrows being directed at its general tone, the game reviewed reasonably well, winning over critics with some slow-motion chopping action. (Cyberpunk chefs were once totally in.) An interesting note for potential buyers. If you’re in Europe, it’s cheaper to pick up the game from the European sub-divisions. Also, it looks like folk from my side of the pond won’t be able to activate the title. Boo.

Divinity: Original Sin
$23.99/£16.05/€22.20
Divinity: Original Sin has, unfortunately, become a permanent part of that ‘Games I really want to play but can never find time for’ backlog. It’s just massive. And slightly grindy, I’ll admit. But so good, anyway. How many games allow you to chat with the local puppies, or to have conversations with a cow? This shouldn’t be a selling point for me, but. Well. I want Witcher 3 because it includes realistic beard mechanics. (Other games in the ‘fantastic RPGs I will never, ever finish’ list include Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity.’)

Killer is Dead: Nightmare Edition
$4.99/£4.99/€4.99
Slick, stylish, but definitely not quite the best game in anyone’s arsenal. Killer is Dead is kind of trippy, kind of fun, kind of thronging with lunar monstrosities. Once billed as a ‘Dark Side 007’ game, Killer is Dead isn’t without its problems. The combat is tepid, the story is puzzling, and there’s even this bit where you’re supposed to hang out and gawk at women. (Honestly, what?) But it is a pretty, pretty thing. If that sounds like your weekend indulgence, why not pick it up? (I’m not entirely certain if this coupon will work, but you’re welcome to give it a shot: SAVE20-APRILD-EALSON )

Assassin’s Creed Unity
$26.30/£17.60/€24.34
What’s your most salient memory of the Assassin’s Creed games? Is it of cool parkour? Flowing capes? Dodging guards in the most inane manner possible? Or misbehaving, giggle-worthy character models? (Guess which is mine. Just try to guess it.) Assassin’s Creed Unity is, sadly, not one of more impressive titles in the long-running series, although it does provide the opportunity to jump on co-operative multiplayer and take on missions in the French Revolution. I’m personally rather ambivalent towards the series, but this looks like one of the cheaper deals that have recently come up. (Given that this is Nuuvem, don’t forget to check if the game will work in your region and to whip out Hola.)

Also of note

Total War: Rome II – Emperor Edition – $10.45/£6.99/€9.67
How far will you go for Rome? Where lies the boundaries of your megalomaniacal leanings? You don’t know? That’s okay. Total War: Rome II is here to satisfy those questions, and any desire you have to see people skewer themselves on the spears of your armies. Personally, I’m rather take over Japan than Rome. But I am told that the game is excellent. The add-ons are possibly a hit-and-miss kind of deal, depending on how eager you might be to pretend you’re King Leonidas.

Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor Bundle – $29.99/£24.08/€33.58
Ah, Shadows of Mordor. Murder simulator extraordinaire. You don’t need to enjoy Tolkien to sink your teeth into this offering, but it helps. That said, the language of brutality is universal, and if you enjoy dominating helpless orcs and sawing through their necks, this is going to be a game for you. The real question here, of course, is whether you really want all that DLC to go with your bloodletting. Well. Do you?

1. Blackcompany says:

Congrats, Cassandra. Takes a lot of effort to write something like. Effort, and time. Way to go!

Also…Bunny Head in a Bowl…what happened? Santa Claus get jealous and decide to make someone an offer they couldnt refuse?

• Jalan says:

Looks like a keychain doodad, based on the… stuff affixed to the middle of its head. That and the fact that it’s small enough to fit into what seems like a cereal bowl.

• Vacuity729 says:

I’d like to add my respectful congratulations and felicitations as well. Nice work!

On the side of discounts, the Humble Origin Bundle 2 is… not a bad deal. If you’re willing to use Origin.for many of the games.

• Ryuuga says:

Big grats on the book deal! The premise does sound intriguing.. Cannibal chef for the ghouls! When will it be out?

2. melnificent says:

If you grab fractured space for free this weekend on steam it’s permanently added to your account. It looks interesting, but I’m not sure of the quality. link to store.steampowered.com

• Jalan says:

It’s going to be free-to-play once it exits Early Access.

I think the incentives are that if you log in this weekend, you’ll help unlock rewards for the community.

• malkav11 says:

That’s the promo for Endless Legend and Dungeon of the Endless. I don’t think Fractured Space is doing that, but I might be wrong.

• Gibster says:

No I can confirm Fractured space is also doing this. They already smashed all their goals (top was 15k new players, thhey say they got tripple that) in the first night and the servers are quiite strained atm as the devs are working furiously to try and keep the servers running (needless to say that with a purported 1,000% increase in the average concurent group of players at any one time, also comes a thousand more bugs that the devs need to fix to keep this new group of players happy). In fact, Hey RPS you could do an entire article on this phenonmenon.

• LionsPhil says:

So, wait a bit, and it’ll be free again anyway and finished?

• Jalan says:

More or less. Though numerous people seem to have said plenty of good things about the game and I’ve read more than a few comments toward it going through changes quite frequently during Early Access so it’s definitely something that’s not just “free because otherwise no one else wants to pay for it and the devs are doing nothing until revenue begins coming back into their pockets”.

Though I assume if you don’t log in during this weekend period you won’t get whatever the rewards are (maybe I’m wrong about that), if that sort of thing matters to you.

Basically just boils down to whether you want to jump onto it and possibly provide feedback/etc. during however long it has left in Early Access.

3. Jalan says:

Just re-brand this column into “The RPS Bargain Container”.

40% off sale on Legend of Grimrock II, while not as cheap as it will eventually go, is still not a bad deal for a sequel that improves upon the predecessor so well (which is also on sale, in case anyone doesn’t have it)

• thedosbox says:

Just re-brand this column into “The RPS Bargain Container”

Yep, my bear in a basket was already used, so “plushie in a container” would still fit the theme.

• Person of Interest says:

Technically, the bio photo from the book publisher website depicts a “dog plushie on brain bucket”, so the column’s namesake–which came first, the bucket or the sale?–is upheld.

• Jalan says:

If we’re going to get technical, that’s the book publisher’s issue. Here on RPS, we’ve got a keychain plush head in a cereal bowl.

• Person of Interest says:

Good call on the keychain, but I’ll wager it’s actually a rice bowl.

• Jalan says:

Quite possibly. The style of it strongly reminds me of bowls I own and use for cereal (mostly).

For all I know it could be much smaller since we don’t really have anything to use for scale beyond the plush head and even that doesn’t give a good sense of things.

• Sucram says:

sorry messed up the HTML, it’s Valkyria Chronicles that is £4.03

4. DanMan says:

I hadn’t heard of gamesplanet yet, so thanks for pointing that out. Seems decent.

5. RLacey says:

Those considering Shadows of Mordor might also wish to consider . ~£13 nets you the game (NB. wthout DLC) plus a bunch of other LOTR games.

6. Ross Angus says:

Hexcells is in the Insulin Bundle, from Indie Royale, for $3.35.

7. eggy toast says:

The Shadows of Mordor “bundle” is very bad. The base game has been much, much cheaper and the DLCs that are included do not add anything worth having to the game, sadly.

• welverin says:

I disagree, Lord of the Hunt and The Bright Lord are worth it.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

I bought the bundle but not at £24. It was £16.66.

Oh, I see. It’s gone up. Oh well. Nae luck, folks. :)

• eggy toast says:

Nae luck for you more like, it’s 13 quid at Nuuvem and you get other games with it.

8. Gibster says:

Fractured Space is free to pick up for the weekend on Steam, thought I might point that out. Its a lot like Dreadnought but more of a MOBA crossed with World of Starships or what not.

9. malkav11 says:

I really don’t recommend Killer is Dead, especially at $24. It’s a very monotonous game with one-note gameplay and the style and weirdness are very superficial, hollow, and ultimately unsatisfying. It’s sold as a Suda51 game but he had very little to do with it and it has none of what made games like Killer7 and No More Heroes so striking and memorable.

• Jalan says:

I have to assume she had that in the article while it was on sale there at a much lower price. I used up the remainder of my credit for it and got it for nothing while it was on sale so, hollow Suda51 shell or not, I’m not one to complain over it.

• eggy toast says:

Killer is Dead is $4 on GMG after the 21% off code

• malkav11 says:

Well, it’s still a waste of $4, but that’s certainly way more reasonable.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

-__- I am also apparently an idiot who can’t copy and paste her prices right .BAH.

gritz says:

Better Bargains!

Humble Origin Bundle:
    Pay what you want- Dragon Age Origins, Peggle, Dead Space 2, Medal of Honor Allied Assault and Command and Conquer Generals
    Beat the average- Plants vs. Zombies, Dragon Age 2, Bejeweled 3, Mass Effect 2, more coming soon

Humble Strategy 2 Bundle:
    Pay what you want – Frozen Synapse Prime, Shattered Planet, Skulls of the Shogun
    Beat the average – Castle Storme, Bloodsports.TV
    $12 – Endless Space Emperor Edition

GOG Bundle Tower Promo:
    Gothic Trilogy – $12
    Mount and Blade bundle – $12.50
    Cyberpunk Pack (Deus Ex 1 & 2, Anachronox, Omikron) – $9
    Shit my pants (Penumbra trilogy, Amnesia, Outlast) – $10
    Wacky Indies (CONSORTIUM, Sir You are Being Hunted, Stick it to the man) – $10
    Indie Platformers (Trine 1 & 2, Dust, Spelunky) – $10
    Huge D&D pack with all the IE games – $21
    Divinity Trilogy (no Original Sin) – $6.50
    And other great bundles (LucasArts adventures, Shmups, etc.)

STEAM:
    Cthulhu Saves the World & Breath of Death VII – 44 cents each!

• Jalan says:

All EA games come as a single wad of key – probably to combat the fact that the first Origin bundle was one of the most re-sold Humble Bundles in the history of Humble Bundles.

Also, if this is to be believed, then these are the games that are to be unlocked in the coming week.

• Jalan says:

And… the same edition of Endless Space is currently on sale through Steam for less than what you’d pay for it in the Strategy 2 Weekly (as there’s no non-DRM build of it, it’s a matter of where you think your money stretches better I suppose). Yes, I know what replies may follow this comment “but… charity!”

• pepperfez says:

GoG also has Age of Wonders III for $14 to mark the release of the expansion.

11. April March says:

You shall know her by the dog in her head.

ITAD informed me of a 75% discount on Alien: Isolation on uPlay, but it seems to be gone. There seems to be a lot of 75% off deals there though, with a lot of non-Ubi games.

Also Assassin’s Creed: Rogue is on sale on Nuuvem as well, according to them the first time it’s been discounted since our planets coalesced from space-drifiting molecules.

• Frosty Grin says:

What do you mean by “seems to be gone”? They’ve got more than a hundred games on sale, so not all of them are featured. Use the search or the full list of games.

• Dilapinated says:

Do you know if Uplay will block keys bought from Nuuvem in the UK? After the FC4 fiasco I’m wary.

• malkav11 says:

What Far Cry 4 fiasco? Not one with Nuuvem, I wouldn’t think, considering I’ve been happily playing my Nuuvem copy of that game on uPlay without issue.

• Dilapinated says:

Ahh, it just seemed to me like publishers were getting more wary (Devolver), and the thing with Ubi being asses about keys over a different matter re FC4, plus Uplay being its own wad of DRM I don’t entirely know the inner workings of.. Wanted to be sure before I put money down. But ime Nuuvem tend to be pretty up front about region locking.

• malkav11 says:

Yeah. Nuuvem has a big ol’ tag on region locked games. That’s not to say Valve or Ubisoft or EA or whoever might not decide to start banning keys bought from different regions or something, but as far as I know that’s never happened with anything from Nuuvem.

12. Arathain says:

Revengeance is very good. To get a brawler of this quality on the PC is a rare treat. The fighting flows beautifully, makes you feel amazing, and rewards practice with feeling even more amazing. You can procedurally chop up cyborgs in slow motion. The boss fights are actually good! Really.

It also pours on absurd spectacle from the first stage onwards. It’s a pleasingly bonkers game with a healthy dose of self awareness. Worth it on many levels.

• jorygriffis says:

I really like the game, but I think it varies a bit in its own self-awareness. The “Jack the Ripper” stuff feels pretty self-serious to me, and the little boy character is too cringey to feel self-referential or deliberate. On the other hand, though, the dialogue during the fight with Senator Armstrong is legitimately funny both in writing and delivery.

• Arathain says:

There’s a bit right before you fight Monsoon (was that the name?). He’s monologuing, and it’s classic Kojima. Very heavy handed self-justifiying pseud nonsense. You can only look around while he’s doing this. If you happen to look to one side there a cyborg guard standing there. A kitten wanders up, and he pets the kitten, after which it wanders off. All this while the blathering goes on. That was the moment I knew exactly how serious the whole thing was being taken.

13. CookPassBabtridge says:

There should be bunnies every week. Bunnies everywhere. There is already a bunny island in japan. Soon bunnies will be everywhere. The Bunnularity is upon us.

• ssh83 says:

That’s actually not a pretty sight… because cars. Cars are the greatest enemies of wild bunnies.

14. defunct says:

All the Assassin’s Creeds are on sale on Nuuvem right now, not just Unity. I got one of the older ones (pirates) and am enjoying that this weekend. it’s the best price I’ve seen, and I’ve been waiting a while. All the dlc is on sale, too. I didn’t even have to jump through any hoops. I just bought it and applied the code to my uplay account. I live in the US, your mileage may vary across the pond.

15. Baines says:

Beowulf DLC is out for Skullgirls, free for now (as normal for Skullgirls DLC). You’ll have to search for “Beowulf” in Steam’s search function though, because Valve/Steam apparently messed up and didn’t include it in the DLC list on the Skullgirls store page.