Grand Theft Auto V Patch 1.01 Fixes Usernames, Eyebrows

Grand Theft Auto V [official site] has had its first patch. Versions 1.01 was released Friday and fixes crashes, birds, eyebrows and, perhaps most significantly, the issue that was stopping people with certain Windows usernames from being able to play. It doesn’t sound like all the crash bugs are taken care of, but this is a good sign that Rockstar are working on it. Check below for the full patch notes.

I would like to have seen some of those erroneously changed eyebrows:

• Fixed an issue where the GTAV Launcher would use an abnormally high percentage of CPU and sometimes crash
  • Fixed an issue where frame rate would drop when left-clicking the mouse while driving
  • Added a grid to the Golf mini-game to show the topology of the green while putting
  • Fixed an issue where a character’s eyebrows or other facial features could change erroneously when transferred to PC
  • Fixed an issue where a some players were asked to transfer their GTA Online character while a transfer was already in progress
  • YouTube uploads via the Rockstar Editor will now correctly resume if Internet connection is lost during the upload and later restored
  • Fixed a rare issue where the game could crash while using the Rockstar Editor
  • Projects containing deleted clips will now load properly in the Rockstar Editor and warn the player of the missing clips
  • Fixed an issue where birds were not recorded correctly in Rockstar Editor clips
  • Corrected an issue where certain characters in Windows usernames would cause the Launcher to fail to load or other undesired game behavior. For details, see this page.
  • Fixed an issue where players with one garage would not be able to replace an existing vehicle if the garage was full and the new vehicle was purchased from an in-game website
  • Additional fixes to prepare for iFruit support
  • Crew Tire Smoke can no longer be purchased if you are not in a Crew

I finished my GTAV review last week but continued to play the game over the weekend, purely for the funsies. It’s possibly coincidental that I didn’t encounter any further hard crashes to desktop, and just as likely coincidental that I have a new problem where the escape/pause menu appears at random occasions without me pressing the button to prompt it. Also it still can’t see any mp3s I drop in the user music folder.

1. Martel says:

I just wish I could get decent frame rates, makes it hard to play.

• Shadow says:

The latest AMD and Nvidia graphics drivers have a major positive impact on performance, so update yours if you haven’t yet.

The patch has also improved performance across the board, albeit to a lesser extent.

However, I get a very significant framerate drop in a very specific context: when driving the submarine underwater in darkness, either due to night or depth. A bunch of effects combine in said circumstances: depth of field, blur, particles, the sub’s lights. Either that’s simply a lot of effects, or more likely something’s getting over-processed and degrading performance too much.

• Skumby says:

I found that turning off the sub’s lights made a massive improvement in framerate. Give it a go.

• melnificent says:

I’ve found the opposite from the AMD 15.4 drivers. My r9 270x was getting 40-60fps (usually in the 50s) @ 1080p, but with the new drivers it’s a completely locked 30fps.
        On the plus side no matter what effects I enable (including advance graphics settings) it doesn’t budge lower than that 30fps.

• Shadow says:

Sounds like a VSync issue, maybe? Your rig can process all those effects at higher than 30fps but can’t quite reach 60, so VSync keeps the framerate down to 30. If the setting is on within the game, Catalyst might be forcing it from outside.

• Shadow says:

If the setting isn’t on within the game, Catalyst might be forcing it from outside*

Give me back my Edit button!

• melnificent says:

The catalyst driver…. that was the culprit. I’d already removed the Raptr nonsense they bundled in for “reasons”. That should’ve been the clue to them messing with my other settings.

Thank you though, it would’ve driven me mad looking for the problem.

• Love Albatross says:

Lower or disable tesselation, particles and grass. These can have a reasonable impact on framerate but aren’t particularly noticeable in game. Also switch off MSAA as that can be extremely demanding, use FXAA instead. Also also, close down background apps which may consume a large amount of memory and/or CPU, browsers can be especially selfish when it comes to system resources.

If you’ve got an NVIDIA card you can try forcing Vsync through the driver (switch it off in game) and enabling triple buffering. This will lock to 60 FPS but can make everything feel a lot slicker, from there you can experiment with higher detail settings and see how good you make it look while maintaining 60 FPS.

Also for NVIDIA users, the 970 and 980 have an option for ‘MFAA’. This is better than FXAA but not as intensive as MSAA. Enable it through the driver.

• Oooch says:

Way to make it look like you have no idea what you’re talking about, MFAA does nothing until MSAA is activated, in which then it’ll make MSAA2x look like 4x and 4x like 8x with no extra performance hit, that’s what MFAA does

• Love Albatross says:

Way to miss out mentioning that, but yes you do need to have MSAA enabled. Thanks for the correction, bellend.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Triple buffering helped me with the odd stutter, but it still was not so perfect especially during rain.

The real fix for me was adaptive sync ( the Nvidia’s one, not G-sync or Freesync ), i now officially never stutter anymore under no single circumstances, not even mass explosions during rain. The drawback is that sometimes you might still spot some tearing as the system is not that perfect, but far more responsive and smarter than V-sync.

• Martel says:

Thanks, I’ll look into that more. I’m using an nvidia card and the settings going from normal to high and back don’t seem to change my framerates much, so maybe it’s something like card locked vsync.

I didn’t want to reply to every single post so thinks to everybody else that posted as well :)

• Soapeh says:

I dropped shadows down to Soft from the Nvidia PCSS solution on my 980 and that massively helped with the framerate at 2560×1440, a mostly solid 60 feeps.. Everything else is at max, no motion blur and none of the advanced options changed except for high detail scenery when flying. The game is better than beautiful, it’s beauteous.

• Loz says:

I just wish I could play. I’m still patching!

I bought the retail version because my ADSL is 2Mbit. After installing all the discs, I got the 5GB content patch (thanks, Rockstar) by leaving it going overnight, but I just can’t get the stupid Rockstar downloader to download the 300MB patch. It repeatedly disconnects, doesn’t reconnect automatically, then when I click the Reconnect button it starts back at zero! My ADSL might be slow, but it’s rock solid. Unfortunately the Rockstar downloader isn’t. Wasted hours of my life on this crap.

Given up and sending it back to Amazon.

• Brave Dave says:

I’m not one to promote it, but I got the patch from a torrent, downloaded in 30 mins as opposed to the constant retry with social club. I did have to have the small 54 mb patch first though, started the 300mb one, cancelled then just chucked the patch and metadata into the update folder.

• phelix says:

I had the same problem with the 300mb patch. I fixed it by temporarily disabling my antivirus.

• racccoon says:

Try this..
        go to your shortcut and right click it
        go to proprieties and open tab compatibility
        scroll down tick box run as admin
        done.
        if that isn’t enough go to search slide over to the right
        type in control panel or grab it
        open firewall
        left side scroll down to advanced settings
        hit inbound rules to the top left
        over to the right make a new rule if you don’t see in the middle permissions to gtav.exe. and gta v launcher
        hit next
        go to gtav path folder find one of those files in c:/programfiles/rockstar/gtav/
        there are 3 files give permission to these one at a time making “new rules” each time
        just hit next next finish.

• mike2R says:

On a decent new gaming PC I was getting some juddering at high speeds when I let the NVidia optomise settings thing have its way. Giving in (64GB FFS) and moving the game from HDD to SSD seems to have solved that, so disk speed appears to have been the bottleneck for me.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yep, when a game ( especially openworld ) heavily relies on real time texture streaming, SSDs are killer.

Unfortunately this knowledge is often muddled and derided over the interwebz because some don’t appear to know the difference between average frame rates and occasional stutters.

• noodlecake says:

Yeah. Try and update your graphics card drivers. I was sulking because nothing I did would give me a playable frame rate on my 6950, but the patch by ATI sorted it out nicely. I can play pretty smoothly in 1080p with most of the settings turned down (I go with some anti aliasing and depth of field just to hide jaggies and it looks quite nice).

• Martel says:

So I’ve tried everything in here (nvidia card, so obviously not the AMD stuff) to no avail. Turned every setting either off or at it’s minimum level (Normal for most of them) with no benefit. I’ve even reinstalled Windows and moved it to my SSD, and still nothing.

This is the interesting part. I used the Nvidia optimizer and it cranked everything up to ultras and highs, even going so far as being 2500/2000 on video ram usage. The same frame rates (mid 20’s in the benchmark) as when I have everything turned off. I turned on an FPS counter and when the screen goes black, like to exit the game, I jump up to around 50 fps but never higher and never over 35 or so when the game is actually going.

It’s kind of blowing my mind at this point, but it does sound like a universal problem, so not much else out there to try..

2. hollowroom says:

I haven’t had any crashes yet, and it runs pretty smooth too.

3. Love Albatross says:

>I have a new problem where the escape/pause menu appears at random occasions

This is apparently due to the game not being able to load quick enough – it pauses to allow time for the world streaming to catch up. Try turning down your detail settings, and run off an SSD if you aren’t already.

• spacejumbo says:

Actually I think it’s the game thinking it’s lost focus.

I had the same problem, turning off ‘pause on loss of focus’ in the graphics menu fixed it.

I’m finding lots of little annoyances like that in the PC version. Still worth it for the gfx+framerate+user radio.

• Love Albatross says:

Yes you’re right that’ll probably fix it for most people, but it kept doing it to me even after switching that off. Once I tweaked settings and smoothed out performance it went away, along with some other weirdness I’d been getting with the controls.

Kortney says:

I had the same random pause issue, and it totally went away when I unchecked the “Pause game in background” option, so my guess is that it’s just really, really sensitive to things even attempting to steal focus. I’m playing it off of a tremendously slow hard drive, and it stutters sometimes when streaming, but I’ve never had it pause itself.

But, you know, the plural of “anecdote” is “data”. Maybe it just likes to pause itself, who knows? Still a pretty nicely-done port. ;)

• spacejumbo says:

I find the menu’s very annoying – constantly telling me I haven’t applied something and do I want to apply it or cancel, even when I’ve only just entered the settings menu.

Other stuff doesn’t stay at what it’s set – like one of the shaddow draw distance sliders.

Also, nvidia experience doesn’t seem to be able to properly set values (it seems to work but then gives and error dialog and stays as a dash rather than tick).

The whole graphics memory useage thing is odd too – nvidia experience set it to use 2.5gb when I have 2gb and yet it seems ok. Also I’m sure it could be a bit more agressive with the visuals, mine is pretty much steady 59fps at vsync, with the odd drop or stutter.

• Tinotoin says:

Yeah the GTA menu says I’m using 2.5GB of VRAM when I “only” have a 2GB card – hasn’t given me any performance issues, other than the one I mention below – and that only started happening recently (after about 6 hours of play).

• malkav11 says:

It definitely predates the patch as it’s been happening to me off and on since I first played, last wednesday.

4. Tinotoin says:

Has anyone else noticed an issue where the game totally locks up when pressing the aim button (L1 / Left Bumper) on a joypad whilst driving? Happens to me and is quite frustrating.

• gunny1993 says:

Yeah I’ve seen this, pretty annoying in races, shooting somebody then not being able to steer.

• Tinotoin says:

Oh, I meant it locks up entirely and I have to relaunch the game :(

The issue you mentioned sounds like punishment for shooting other racers hah!

• MrStones says:

Had this happen to me and seen it mentioned on the Rockstar forums, seems to be a bug where throwing something (like a grenade or ball) causes the game to crash next time you try to aim from a vehicle. Was about 2 hours after i threw a ball for the dog that I tried my first drive-by and game crashed, that’s a looong time between cause and effect.

Pretty annoying bug but supposedly you can work around it by using the “quickthrow” key (G) rather than equipping and then throwing. I’ve just given up throwing anything until Rockstar releases a fix… or i get a mission that requires it.

• maradine says:

Every. &*^#%($&*^%^(@. Time.

5. tehfish says:

Regarding the custom radio stations thing, did you go into the options and hit the option to scan the folder for music? It won’t show up until you do that.

Interestingly, merely creating shortcuts to the individual MP3 files worked fine for me (actual files stored remotely on a NAS drive)

Been pretty happy with the game so far, has been one of the most bug free game launches i’ve seen in a while, absolutely no problems my end. Even the fact i’m running with ~1.3GB vram usage settings on a 1GB GPU doesn’t seem to trouble it.

Mungrul says:

Still hasn’t fixed the “You have been signed out because your account is logged in elsewhere” problem I keep getting.
    I would really like to play this game I paid money for, but it seems to only want to let me play in half hour doses.
    Not impressed.

• malkav11 says:

Social Club accounts have been getting stolen recently, so maybe it’s actually being logged in elsewhere? You might try changing your password.

Mungrul says:

Nope, definitely not that, password changed when I first got that message.
        Also, when I relaunch after receiving this, even if it’s a couple of hours later, I start at the last place / point in the story I was.
        I’ve bitten the bullet today and gone for a full reinstall of the game, so left it downloading while I went to work.

What I did realise when reinstalling was that while I’d installed the game on my SSD (D:), I must have had an old install of the Rockstar Social Club on my system drive (probably from an old install of LA Noire), so I’ve uninstalled that too prior to reinstalling the entire game.
        Let’s see if that makes a difference.

• AlexClockwork says:

You may have already solved it, but I had a similar problem and it wasn’t due to the Social Club (that message just seemed to pop up whenever the program crashed). If you go into the Windows Event Viewer and you find out that the faulty module is nvwgf2umx.dll, it’s due to the last Nvidia driver. It’s weird, but it seems to be giving problems to some people. Going back to a previous driver fixed it for me.

7. April March says:

“Additional fixes to prepare for iFruit support”

*slow clap*

8. James says:

I am loving GTA V, I’ve only had one crash and in fairness to the game, I was trying to break it.

Climb on top of an SUV and pour petrol until it should form a puzzle, the game says no to your attempt.

• James says:

I mean ‘puddle’ not puzzle – c’mon brain, I rely on you!

9. SpakAttack says:

The networking solution needs a serious amount of work – two minutes to log into a GTA online session, only to be told the session’s no longer valid and getting dumped back into story mode, ready for another two minute wait. Oh and how about keeping me in the same god-damn session as my friends once I leave a mission?

• Laini says:

The only system is really weird to me. It’s so poorly thought out that I was genuinely amazed when I saw it.

• Soapeh says:

Yes, I agree very much so. I play with 5 or 6 other internet besties and we want a feature that automatically takes us to our private crew session. Currently a private session can only be started from single player (or the content creator), but NOT FROM MULTIPLAYER. It’s ridiculous that you can ‘leave current session’ which will send you to a mysterious place. We also want to stop the phone notifications from people who aren’t even on our private session. Surely someone at Rockstar has brought up these peeves before?

But either way, GTAO is a fantastic experience when playing with people you know.

10. Laini says:

Still waiting on a fix for the switching characters crash :/
    It’s fine normally, I just know to Quick Save before switching characters if I’ve been playing for an hour or two but during one mission, Blitz Play, it forces a switch after a brief period playing as one character and it crashes every single time, thus making Story Mode impossible to continue with >.<

• Bashmet says:

For the crashes occuring when switching characters, particularly during the Blitz Play mission, you can avoid it several ways.

1. Delete config.dat and pc_settings.bin in your GTAV documents folder. Didn’t work for me, but many said it worked for them. They also mention making certain to have the landing page set to on.

2. Don’t ever use thrown weapons. Instead, select a gun and hit the G key to throw whatever weapon you have active in the selection wheel. After doing this, you won’t crash when transitioning characters. This worked for me. You can test it any time to check.

3. Die three times on a mission to skip. For Blitz Play, you need to die three times once you’re allowed to drive away in the garbage truck after the shootout.

• Laini says:

Whoa, thanks man :D

I’d tried that config file thing and I didn’t really wanna fail part of the mission to proceed but I’d not heard of the “Don’t use throwing weapons” thing and that totally worked for me.

11. racccoon says:

I’m hoping they fix Zlib crash can’t finish mission so i’m running around causing mayhem! its a pain & i want their(rockstar) work around for this problem as its theirs! The other work arounds on the net are just forcing you to re patch files and the problem with that is ROCKSTAR LAUNCHER Patcher updater thingy is the worst I have ever encounted. in any game its slow undermining and useless.

12. racccoon says:

After all this I’m thinking I’d prefer a better RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2 on the PC
    This game has been too long and drawn out for the PC they forgot us, dumped us like trash, now making a big buck out of us! it may be kind of fun for them, but I can not see me playing it as much as I did many many years ago, like, never letting go of it. I’m already becoming complacent with it and its getting kind of boring. The online is bullshit, a bit too silly with nothing but the blue rings of crap and a few easy raids on shops, no real meaning, bar blowing the crap out of another player who thinks he’s in a dream. The only thing in the game I enjoy muchly is the diving, flying, and running a muck, but it does still kind of feel empty as mostly I been there done that in the past.
    I hope they don’t make a GTA 6 as its kind of overblown.

Especially when the PC PLAYER IS ROCKSTARS SECOND CLASS CITIZEN..

13. BigJulie says:

Sadly no amount of reinstalling or patch downloading or tweaking of settings has fixed my issue with GTA V. I still can’t get past the Social Club launcher ! Crashes with the highly informative and helpful (not) “GTA V Launcher has stopped working” error message, followed by Windows “attempting” to find a solution (it doesn’t).

R* haven’t responded to my support ticket and why would they – they’ve alreay got my money.

Not happy.

• Soapeh says:

A few friends have a problem with the launcher getting confused by multiple graphics cards, i.e. onboard intel/AMD but running a discrete nvidia/AMD card. Disabling the onboard gfx should fix it, otherwise you need to disable your discrete card in device manager, let the launcher run, then quickly re-enable the card again before the game loads. Other than that, try running the game as administrator.

14. soopytwist says:

What I’d like to know is when are they going to remove the need to have Windows Media Player in order to install the game? I realise of course that a patch won’t fix what I already have so for that reason I’ve already got DPD to come and take the game back to Amazon for a refund. That must surely be a record for me. Barely an hour of owning the game today and submitting a returns…amazing.

FYI Windows Media Player screws with the ID3 tags in my music library just by it’s mere presence on my computer; because it hates me. It had to go and I have no desire to put it back – even if it’s just to play GTA V.

15. SpikerzZ says:

I still get the crash for “grand theft auto V Launcher has stopped working” I updated all of my drivers, I updated GTA V and I ran as administrator. the only thing that works is create a new temp account called Brad witch I don’t like because everything is on my other account.

I have Windows 8.1 using my Microsoft Account as a user name.