Pleasant Puzzling In Free Game Nine

How do you feel about games like Samorost and Windosill? You know, quiet, gentle puzzlers in surreal worlds which follow their own rules. The sort of game where solving a puzzle is often simply a happy side-effect of playing with something interesting, and you don’t mind if what you’ve been fiddling with isn’t the correct solution, because the interaction alone is pleasing. Those games. Do you like them?

If so, do have a peek at Nine [official site]. Released last week for free and playable in your browser, it is one of those games. I enjoyed it.

Nine sees a little prince in a grid of nine small rooms, each quite different to each other, with a locked door on each side. The nine rooms hide keys for the doors, which reveal… pleasant things. I’d like to go on about specific things you’ll discover but finding them for yourself is a treat, yeah? But the treasure chest and the cat are lovely, aren’t they?

Creator Noah Berkley also shared on Tumblr two rooms that were cut from the final version.

This isn’t strictly connected, but while we’re celebrating Pleasant Quiet Things Monday here at RPS, Pip would probably be disappointed if I didn’t also link to her post this morning saying Morphopolis is on sale for £0.19 for a few more hours.

1. LTK says:

I enjoyed that, but was there any more to the purple-haired person?

2. cloudnein says:

arrow keys + mouse is not the best control scheme for this game…got frustrated when my character would get stuck on random spots on the maps (after obtaining 3 keys, also the puzzles seemed a little too obvious to me but I’ve played a lot of these sorts of games.)

• April March says:

I never got stuck, but the control scheme marred what would otherwise be a rather pleasant game. Then again my brain rebels against using arrow keys in 45º isometric anyway.

3. peterako1989 says:

why you no llonger call these freeware garden?

4. mcwizardry says:

A fascinating little game, somehow I couldn’t get used to the control scheme. It felt weird for an isometric angle.

5. Person of Interest says:

The screenshot reminds me of Terry Cavanagh’s free game Naya’s Quest, which was also praised by RPS in the past.

6. Sarfrin says:

Aw, that was lovely.

7. heartnotes says:

I found all four keys but surely there’s more to it than just getting on the boat? I can’t figure out the secret to the chest, the book in the library, the room with the bed, waking up the cat, or the room with the portal-transportation blocks…