Classy Cards: Hand Of Fate DLC

Hand of Fate’s [official site] Wildcards DLC isn’t a major expansion but it could be reason enough to revisit one of 2015’s early surprises, or to shuffle the deck for the first time if you’ve never played. There are many ways to incorporate cards into a game – Hand of Fate deals ’em out and constructs adventures with them. There are cards representing monsters and flipping one of those leads to a short hack and slash session. There are cards representing items that alter skills or add buffs. There are cards representing events that test your luck. It’s a beautifully crafted game with the year’s second best narrator (Darkest Dungeon takes top spot there) and the DLC should increase replayability.

The Wildcards that give the DLC its name are nine Fate cards that function much like a character class. Each adds a modifier that will impact on your playstyle and also comes with its own set of cards forming a class-specific encounter chain. As mentioned above, there doesn’t appear to be an enormous amount of new content but it might be enough to pull me back in for at least another couple of playthroughs.

Here’s Alec on the base game:

It’s lovely, it’s appropriately dorky, and it understands that the appeal of board and card games comes from something far more tactile and tangible than the accruement or demolition of numbers. With its regular switching between the table and the battlefield, Hand of Fate blurs the lines between cards-as-combat and actual combat.

The Wildcards DLC is out now and costs £2.99.

1. LTK says:

Also worth noting, if you’re like me and bought the game while it was in Early Access, that means you get the DLC for free! That means that anyone who picked it up as part of the Humble Bundle has a good reason to revisit the game.

Other features that came in the last update include an upgrade to Unity 5, which added a noticable amount of beautification to the game, and an option to banish the giant spider that would skitter along the edge of the table infrequently as it was giving arachnophobes the heebie-jeebies.

2. Michael Fogg says:

This would be so much more appealing if the dealer was a she, with a pair of big round eyes… missed opportunity.

• Xzi says:

What a silly comment. Could it have been more appealing to SOME people? Sure. Would it have been any better? Probably not…the voice actor for the dealer did a fantastic job.

• vlonk says:

DLC = Dealer-Lady Content? Not likely to happen since it is a big part of the content of the game and one of its greatest assets too.
      Maybe you where thinking of that other kind of arabian nights game?

• Dodj33 says:

you should go to Saudi Arabia for your Burka fetish

3. bee says:

I really liked this game but there was a part of it I couldn’t get past no matter how many times I tried. That happened very early on and made me give up on the game:(

• Xzi says:

Really? I found it quite easy until much later on in the game. Must have been all that time spent with the Arkham games and Shadow of Mordor.

• AngoraFish says:

The Lizardmen are just evil. There’s nothing worse than following 10-12 lizardmen around for what seems like hours on end, even in the rare event that you eventually do actually beat them.

I’ve put about 11 hours into the game and still can’t complete the final mission, which has taken up about about half of my play time.

Luck can also be a bit too brutal for my taste.

• LTK says:

Do you mean the King of Scales? I happened to go into that fight very well-equipped and had a fortunate selection of arena as well, so I was able to complete that fight with surprising ease. The Frost Fang really helped me there.

****SPOILER****

I’m not sure if this is mentioned beforehand but the lizardmen seem to be unkillable until you kill the king himself. I was putting serious damage into his minions, wondering why they just weren’t dying, but after I killed the king they all went down in a few hits.

• AngoraFish says:

Weirdly, I did crack that mission 30 minutes after posting. I got a lucky run, including an anti-lizard man helmet and sword. It is correct that you have to kill the boss first, otherwise the minions are unkillable, which is a bit of a dick move if you ask me as the game does nothing I can see to inform you of that other than trial and error – which is just more unnecessary frustration.

• sub-program 32 says:

This is very confusing for me, because I am pretty darn sure it very strongly implies what the Lizard King can do just before you fight him. I can’t remember the actual text, but I know I immediitely thought that “this guy keeps the rest alive” when I saw it.

• caff says:

The lizardmen are hard, but the key tactic I used was plenty of ducking at the start (to avoid the casters) and using shield bash on the warriors (otherwise they are impenetrable). I spent a good couple of hours fighting just two lizardmen before I realised I’d forgotten about shieldbash!

4. caff says:

Love this game. Will probably end up in my top 5 of 2015.

5. Raoul Duke says:

So I assume this has nothing to do with Legend of Kyrandia?