Don’t Starve Together Gets Free Reign Of Giants Features

Don’t Starve Together [official site] takes the elements of 2D survival game Don’t Starve and rebuilds them for co-operative purposes. The game has been in Early Access since late last year, and its most recent free update has just added all the extra monsters, items and features from the game’s original expansion, Reign of Giants.

Reign of Giants expanded Don’t Starve in terms of content, taking the procedural worlds and adding variety in every direction. That included two new playable characters: “Wigfrid, a stage actress who went a bit too far with method acting on her latest role, an ancient Valkyrie, or Webber, a young boy who lives inside the spider who tried to eat him long ago.” It also included new biomes, creatures, and a full year of seasons by introducing spring and summer.

Porting these over to multiplayer wasn’t as simple as simply copy-pasting sprites and code between games, and certain creatures have been re-balanced to better suit Togetherness. For example, fire spreads more slowly than it did in singleplayer and giants are a constant feature rather than “jerks who come down from the proverbial hills to harass one unlucky player per season.”

The update also introduces some “relatively large mechanical changes”, aside from the expansion content. From the Steam post about the update:

• Rabbits and other small creatures that can go in your inventory need food too! You can feed them to keep them alive, but if you lock a rabbit in a box and leave it there for days, it’ll starve and turn into meat. And then rot. Yuck.
  • Food left on crockpots and on drying racks will start spoiling before you collect it. They would previously last forever until harvested.
  • If you don’t have any gear that protects you from the rain (there’s some new things for that!), the rain will make your character wet. If they get wet enough, they’ll start cooling down and losing sanity. Previously, the rain would directly make you lose sanity.
  • Structures with wood in them can burn. You can hammer down the burnt husk to get some resources back.

I like the sound of being able to keep rabbits alive, because I am a big softie and would like to keep them as pets. For the same reason, I am now terrified to play the game, due to the inevitable guilt of failing to do so and knowing that I could have kept the animals alive if only I’d been better or more attentive.

gritz says:

If I have Don’t Starve, do I have Don’t Starve Together?

• jeeger says:

Nope, it’s a separate game, just checked. Seems a bit bogus to again have to pony up 19 € for essentially the same game (yes, I read the article, doesn’t seem like they made a completely new game) with co-op. At least it’s currently on sale on steam for 5 bucks.

• Jalan says:

Don’t Starve Together will be free to owners of Don’t Starve once it exits Early Access. Until then, existing Don’t Starve owners get a discount on the Frontier Pack.

• jeeger says:

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. I just bought the frontier pack for 5€, which means a copy of don’t starve together for me and a friend, as well as an extra don’t starve. Not too bad.

I just found it strange that it’s in early access at all, and at full price at that. Why not a simple update to the original game? But eh, no big deal.

• Jalan says:

I’ve only played Don’t Starve Together (and largely at the urging of my oldest nephew) but I’ve watched him play the main game. There’s enough of a difference between the two that they couldn’t just shift the multiplayer into the base game. It may look roughly the same, true, but there’s definitely an effort on Klei Entertainment’s part made to put out a distinct experience between the two.

Mostly due to some of the mechanics in the base game making it unbelievably easier (or harder) in many ways for those playing the game. One example comes to mind is how they had to do a complete overhaul on the Willow character for the multiplayer (though this was apparently because she was being used to grief players by constantly burning down everything in a given world).

• golem09 says:

Don’t Starve Together if far from content of the single player game, even with Reign of Giants added. The whole Cave System including all the ruins, enemies and resources are still missing. It’s in early access, simply because it’s not done.
            Together was in a closed beta, but people kept asking to be let in by paying money, so the dev offered that.

2. rexx.sabotage says:

Still no news of the fate of those who own Don’t Starve outside of Steam.

• theapeofnaples says:

Yep… Pretty crappy of Those In Charge, tbf tbh

• richlamp says:

Absolutely not.

Unfortunately, I can’t remember where I found it but a while back I saw a post about this exact issue and it said if you own Don’t Starve outside of Steam then give them an email. I did so and they sent me a Steam key. And now I have Don’t Starve Together.

• richlamp says:

Found.

link to forums.kleientertainment.com

Only if you bought it on GOG.com though.

• Jalan says:

Keep in mind, they do qualify that it’s Steam only at this current time. That doesn’t rule out them developing a no-DRM build of Don’t Starve Together and (potentially) rolling it out to those who bought it through other retailers. Speaking for myself, I bought Don’t Starve twice – once through Steam and again through the Humble Widget (later buying the Reign of Giants DLC twice as well – but the OST I only bought through Steam thus far). I don’t necessarily mind having to go through Steam to play Don’t Starve Together with my oldest nephew but certainly wouldn’t scoff at not needing to do so.

3. whorhay says:

Honestly adding a lot of the content from Reign of Giants makes me a lot less interested in the multiplayer version. Especially since most of what is mentioned is decidely unfun stuff.

• Jalan says:

Having to feed the animals does get tedious. I mean, I get why they did it (and how it makes sense from a logical standpoint) but having to worry about something else’s hunger in addition to your own just sucks away some of the fun.

• whorhay says:

Inventory items getting wet, spontaneous combustion, and practically everything becoming flammable are just some of the things I can think of added in Reign of Giants that immediately aided my decision to not bother playing it.

• Jalan says:

The wetness doesn’t particularly bother me (it’s easy enough to dry out – it’s the overheating mechanic that really drives me insane, no pun intended).

You’re not wrong to avoid it though but thankfully (for the single player game at least) you have the option of enabling or disabling the Reign of Giants content if you wish vs. being forced into it at all times. No idea if that’s possible with the multiplayer (haven’t fired it up after the recent updates) but I certainly hope so.