Grand Theft Auto V Update Brings More Fixes

Last time I wrote about a Grand Theft Auto V [official site] update I noticed that I’d started experiencing a new bug where the pause menu would appear without my pressing any button to prompt it. Well, today there’s another patch and another set of fixes, including: “Fixed an issue where the game would show the pause menu without player input.”

Is it possible that Rockstar North, one of the world’s most successful game developers, focuses their patches solely on the things I mention here on RPS? I think that’s definitely what is happening. Check the full list of fixes and a few new suggestions for future patches below.

The last PC patch was version 1.01 where as this is down as “335.1” which blimey is quick progress. Here’s the full list of fixes, to save you from having to click through to the official post on the official site:

• Players can no longer purchase more vehicles than their properties can store.
  • Players can now launch a video card benchmark test from the main menu.
  • Fixed an issue where facial features would not save correctly when transferring a character from Xbox 360 or PS3 and changing genders while editing the character’s appearance.
  • Fixed an issue where players could become stuck in the clouds when voting to quick restart the Humane Labs Heist.
  • Fixed an issue where markers in the Rockstar Editor could not be deleted with the mouse.
  • Fixed various audio recording issues with Rockstar Editor clips.
  • Fixed an issue where the Yacht would not appear in some recorded Rockstar Editor clips.
  • Fixed a rare issue where some Rockstar Editor clips could not be opened for editing.
  • Fixed an issue where the GTAV Launcher would not display the correct amount of time remaining for file downloads.
  • The Steam overlay has been moved to prevent it from covering up Launcher buttons.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would not save your settings when restarting in some instances.
  • Fixed a rare issue where the Steam version of the game would crash right after launching.
  • Windows Media Player is no longer required to install GTAV. Instead, Windows Media Foundation will be required.
  • Fixed an issue where the game would show the pause menu without player input.
  • Fixed an issue where the max frame rate would be incorrectly low in rare cases.

Anyway, since I’m clearly in control here, I’d like to request that they next fix my game not recognising mp3s in the user music folder (I’ve put like 25 in there) and the issue where I’m unable to export any video from the Rockstar Editor. Then, after that, if they could release a no-trevor patch, reduce the number of puns by about 50% and add some better ponds as a gift to Alice, then I’d probably re-consider some of the criticisms in our GTA 5 review.

Fingers crossed for patch 776.2 next Monday, yeah?

1. Da5e says:

I’d dearly like the radio thing to recognise flac, and not freak out and hang if asked to scan more than a few folders. Pffffthrp.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I don’t know what formats the original music files use in there, but maybe you could try turning them into .wav.

It’s also possible the game itself uses compressed stuff and it doesn’t want large files, afterall there’s already a shitload of assets streaming and enough background noise/explosions/stuff to cover the slight fidelity upgrade.

• shaydeeadi says:

I have no streaming issues with the game at all, why should I have to convert my music if I want to put it in the playlist? Wav isn’t compressed unlike FLAC which is.

• frymaster says:

.wav files can include compression

• shaydeeadi says:

Whenever I buy music as Wav files, it is PCM. If I was to rip a CD as .wav, it would be PCM. I’ve never seen ACM files for sale and would ask for a refund if I did buy one unwittingly. Where is music even sold in such a format? This is all besides the point that it can’t be that outrageous a request to enable support for multiple audio codecs within the internal player.

Most of the music I have bought over the last few years has been in FLAC format anyway, luckily I am an adaptable and resourceful fellow and just have Foobar2000 running in the background. AIFF support would be nice too.

Grizzly says:

flacsquisher can be your friend

• Canazza says:

You can just put shortcuts in the game music folder, you don’t have to copy the whole thing over. I’ve just got a single folder of shortcuts.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

I don’t know if it’s coincidence, or one of the changes has inadvertently helped, but my performance seems to be a lot more solid now.

3. Darth Gangrel says:

Game characters are often accused of having lifeless/awkward/weird facial expressions, but this selfie looks much like many other selfies by real people, so they sure got that right. Or maybe it’s just that people look awkward when taking selfies.

4. galaxion says:

Did you use the ‘perform full/quick scan’ in the audio options after adding the mp3’s?
    To save on space, you can also drop file/folder links into the Documents\Rockstar Games\GTA V\User Music instead of files.

Graham Smith says:

Yep. Many times.

• caff says:

I had some issues with some tracks but eventually resorted to re-encoding some of my mp3’s in CBR (constant bit rate) instead of VBR (variable) like is commonly used.

I also had to use mp3gain (see the link on sourceforge) to boost the volume – set it to 93.5dB and it will max the volume so it’s the same level as all the standard radio stations.

A bit fiddly but well worth it.

• SimonSays says:

I had to join to thank you caff – mp3gain worked awesome at making some of my more quiet tracks listenable in game!!!

5. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

It has done something with character’s skills aswell, for once it rolled back my stealth skill getting upgraded for no reason, but it maxed driving, flying, aim and stamina, which indeed is what i “train” the most.

The latter suggests an increase in learning speed aswell.

6. The Sombrero Kid says:

Some cloud saving wouldn’t go amiss, it is the 21st century after all!

• Cinek says:

Yea, and we thankfully don’t use Cloud any more. Awesome, isn’t it?

7. Underwhelmed says:

All you had to do with the pause bug, was to go under graphics options and shut off “pause on focus loss”. That same thing annoyed the hell out of me too until I found a fix. Still good that it was fixed.

8. heretic says:

Is the own music issue affecting a lot of players? Kind of a bummer, nothing greater than cruising around to your own playlist.

9. Siimon says:

Why would you want a No-Trevor patch?

• Smashbox says:

I can’t speak for Graham, but isn’t he a horrible, unfunny, grating monster?

• Flammablezeus says:

He’s definitely not grating. He’s basically the first GTA character whose personality truly reflects the actions you’re capable of in the game. Every scene with him in it is interesting to watch. I think he balances the game out really well with the way he bounces off other chracters. Your description sounds a lot closer to Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2. Not that I’d call him horrible so much as just incredibly poorly written. Definitely grating and unfunny though.

• Siimon says:

Monster? Yes..

But despite all the bad shit he does, and if you don’t consider the over-the-top missions where he kills dozens of people, he is one of the most “human” characters in the game. His nasty habits, the stuff he does and says when you cut to him, are very human (if very dysfunctional).

I really enjoy most of the Trevor stuff in the game.

10. caff says:

I’m still not sure they’ve got all the bugs – again tonight I got a “no video signal” from my monitor as I was doing a mission. Such a shame but I’m hopeful it will get resolved eventually.

But despite this, it’s still a fascinating game & world. As Graham mentioned in his review, it has a staggering amount of detail and it will be many weeks or months before I get bored of it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Do you by chance use display port? i personally got some wonkiness with it depending with drivers/GPU/Monitor combo and i’m not the only one, even if it happens only in GTA it might still be something to think about.

Ignore this message if you’re on DVI.

• caff says:

Yep on Displayport. I have dual monitors but I’ve disabled the 2nd (which is on DVI) and yet I get the same crash. It’s not very frequent (once every 3 hours?) but it’s enough to need a hard reboot which is annoying.

• Awesomeclaw says:

I recently switched to a new monitor and had to ‘upgrade’ my DisplayPort cable to get the thing working properly. DP might be a digital interface, but it still needs a decent cable to work well.

11. montorsi says:

Add to the list:

– occasional glitch where you’re stuck looking at your frozen character at the start of a multiplayer mission (forcing full screen then tabbing out and back in is a temp fix)
    – forever loading screens. If someone leaves right after a mission starts, I’ll have spent 9 of 10 minutes looking at LOADING.
    – Transition screen freezes. Random and only occasional but made more frustrating by the fact you have to spend the next five minutes loading into the game again. And if you are playing with friends, frequently having to load into another session after the game loads in. DOUBLE YOUR LOADING SCREEN. Yes, you paid sixty bucks for this.

• montorsi says:

Oh yeah, and why are we charged 7k for blowing up these idiots driving around in armored cars shooting everyone? Not only do we have to spend $1500 per 2 RPG missiles, we have to pay for killing them? Seriously? And it’s always the same high level idiots who can’t aim a gun but unlock the car so they can mow down lower levels. I run around hitting them with explosives as much as I can but I have other shit to do and this shouldn’t exist.

• Cinek says:

“forever loading screens” – I have more problems with timed out loading screen… what always makes me totally confused what the heck and why the fuck do I get kicked out into single player mode after that, or for that matter: ever.

If I would want to play single player – I would choose that shit from the main menu. Just retry, or connect to a different session and get me to the game world. Or at a very least – give me an option to choose what I want to do. Don’t kick me out to the single player!

GTA V is totally ridiculous when it comes to the loading screens. Even if you want to quit the game – there’s some obscure idiotic loading before “yes / no” options appear on a screen “do you want to quit the game”.

Godwhacker says:

There’s a whole bunch of people on gaming laptops who are unable to play the game, and Rockstar has been totally silent on the issue- see this thread : link to support.rockstargames.com

and this one

link to support.rockstargames.com

If you’ve got switchable graphics the game just won’t start on your GPU. Any chance someone at RPS can hassle them about this? Rockstar have thus far been utterly silent.

• Fellhuhn says:

Can’t you just tell your driver which card to use for the game (not only the launcher)? That is what I normally do and always worked fine.

Godwhacker says:

It’s been tried- it doesn’t work here. There’s something broken in the launcher when it switches from the Intel GPU to the AMD one.

13. April March says:

The situation must be dire if RPS is demanding less puns.

Grizzly says:

rps’s puns are grand and earnest, whilst gta’s feel like someone stole the snide pun generator and put it on automatic.

14. milton says:

Does anyone else get the issue where you press multiple buttons, e.g when you’re running and you use W, Shift, S and you’re holding down RMB to zoom and you’re spamming LMB to shoot, and all you get is some beeping and your whole character just doesn’t respond? Eventually after some beeping, you either get control or your character just empties the entire gun with no control.

I’m using the logitech orion spark and the logitech G502, which shouldn’t have problems with that many keys. Doesn’t happen to me in any other game. I’ve tried changing the input from raw to direct/windows and it hasn’t made the problem any better.

I was hoping to see a patch or some acknowledgement of the issue as it’s caused me numerous problems and frustration to the point where i’m skipping missions because i’m freezing and dying so much.

15. soopytwist says:

Oh that’s just great. I got the retail version from Amazon delivered on 21st April and sent it back in the 22nd because I couldn’t install without Windows Media Player (I can’t have WMP on my PC – it’s a long story but there’s post about that on the forums somewhere). Now I read that they’ve removed the need for WMP but instead requires Windows Media Foundation.

What the heckington is Windows Media Foundation?

At least sending the game back was a good thing though because you can’t patch something that isn’t installed so I guess I’ll have to buy it on Steam now instead.

16. Cantisque says:

Much better performance after this patch. I had an issue introduced with the last patch where the game would randomly freeze for a couple of seconds. That seems to be gone now.