Zut Alors! Killing Floor 2 Hits Steam Early Access

I’m reporting to you from Paris (that part is true) and can tell you that, as Killing Floor 2 [official site] predicts, civilization as I knew it is over. You may think that fighting monsters in the virtual streets of Paris in Tripwire’s co-op wave survival FPS may help you prepare for this, now that it’s out on Steam Early Access, but no, no it’s worse than that. We may be beyond hope.

A bar here served me a Bloody Mary garnished with a glowstick. What fresh hell is this? What have we become? A pink glowstick in a Bloody Mary. Not even a good glowstick: one of the bracelet ones but without even the connector to wear it. I beg you: unleash the mutants to kill us all.

Now that we’re done with my kooky wakka wakka hilarious bourgeois comedy stylings, let’s do gametalk. The main bullet points for Killing Floor 2 over the first game are a gorier gore system, reworked perks system, better melee combat, difficulty scaling changing monster behaviour too, a few new enemies, and a new end-of-level boss who looks way less of a dingus than the old Patriarch. I dug the first game so yeah, I’m up for this.

Why Early Access, given that KF1 was steadily expanded with new bits after release anyway? Developers Tripwire are looking to scoop loads of feedback to shape the game as they add to it, in a cycle of adding new things, rebalancing, then adding more, and so on. Right now, it only has three levels, and is missing a fair few planned weapons and perk trees. Tripwire plan to launch by the end of this year.

If you want in now, it’ll cost you £19.99. Do check out this first list of common bugs and solutions.

I did get into the closed beta test but was a bit distracted at the time and only found time to see how cool a monster-slayer I could be with its character lineup and few customisation options. Yeah, pretty cool is the answer. Rich Stanton was also in the beta and he actually played it, so probably go see what he has to say. For now, the Early Access launch trailer:

1. tiltaghe says:

Nom d’une pipe !

2. MortyDice says:

Sacrebleu ! You’re in Paris and you’re not throwing a “Pierre, Feuille, Fusil à pompe” party?

• Alice O'Connor says:

Surely I should be asking: I’m in Paris and you’re not throwing a Pierre, Feuille, Fusil à pompe party?

• Gap Gen says:

After Charlie Hebdo every day going to the work canteen for me is a fusil à pompe party. They take their crème brûlée very seriously

3. Kefren says:

I played a bit of the original but two things put me off:
    1> Often it looked like I should be able to go further, but there was some sort of invisible barrier blocking me. Immediately I was reminded that I was playing a game (bad thing – I like to be totally immersed).
    2> I was unclear about where all the monsters were coming from. I killed hundreds. They didn’t seem to be just virus-infected humans, many had body-part mechanical augmentations, implying they had intelligence (not shown by running at me, roaring), or were being created in a factory. Who was doing that? Why? Were there factories in every country? These questions kept recurring (as they did in Half Life 2), and distracted me. I’m not much good at just accepting “because: game”.

• CallMeIshmael says:

Well, as for 1, yeah, I can totally get you on that one. Game design limitations and all that.
      2, though, is the basic setup. There’s this company called Horzine that was tasked with making essentially super-soldiers. Thing is, their project – while wildly successful in the “murder” department, also went wildly off the rails, as its director went rogue and unleashed his horrible clone-and-cybernetic army upon the streets of London. Horzine’s evidently a pretty major mover-and-shaker, and thus had facilities in other countries (such as France in KF2), though I don’t believe they had facilities worldwide; that’s a point the game doesn’t really make clear. KF1 fixates so heavily on London while barely referencing the rest of the world, and KF2 is a far cry from complete, so I can’t say definitively yet.
      Either way, they sure do blow up real nice, don’t they?

• gunny1993 says:

These are both points that have been adressed, I don’t really care about that stuff so I can’t say how well, but in the level design aspect the current ones available are all very well done, with clear barriers.

The second point is something they’re working on, changing the lore. Horizen have facilities in lots of countries, this is evident by looking at one of the maps in game, where a list of breach facilities can be seen.

• Kefren says:

Thanks both. I hadn’t even realised the first game was set in London – I’m sure there was a level in misty swamp with an old barn you could hide out in, that had more of a feel of Fallout 3’s Point Lookout…

• Niko says:

No, you are right, Killing Floor has Christmas-themed maps, some that certainly are US locations, and there’s also Moon Base and Hell. Not sure if they really thought about narrative consistency – not that I care, it’s not that kind of a game.

• Alice O'Connor says:

It started out mostly London-y at launch, with a few countryside-y maps, but the squillions of maps added later seemed to be set wherever they jolly well pleased.

4. Rise / Run says:

Here (in Yankville) the trend still is serving (edible, not glow-stick) salads (pickled this that and the other thing) as garnishes for a bloody mary. It’s quite nice. Maybe you should stop having brunch at an after-rave? Or maybe just not be sober enough at such an event to not enjoy the glow-y. That last suggestion might help you mentally prepare for the zombie civilization end as well.

Grizzly says:

I love how the EULA of this game says that Tripwire has the right to tell your mum if you are being abusive (after banning you and revoking your key).

6. Jalan says:

Nah. Between this and Trine 3, Trine 3 has the more reasonable Early Access price for my taste so that’s what’ll be going in the cart later today.

• epmode says:

FYI, Killing Floor 2’s price won’t increase when it leaves Early Access.

• Jalan says:

A cold comfort of sorts, still higher than I’d like to pay for it at this current juncture (TWI fans don’t read too heavily into that, I don’t want to start a whole thing).