First Look At Total War: Warhammer Is Totally Warhammer

you're at the wrong audition, Tobias

This is a good trailer. It’s a good trailer even though it doesn’t contain even a picosecond of in-game footage. This first ‘cinematic’ trailer for the Creative Assembly’s RTS adaptation of Games Workshop’s Warhammer Fantasy Battles is a good trailer because it’s got a big old dust-up between the Orcs (on boars!) and the Empire (on Griffons!) with a side-helping of Zombie Dragons, dwarfs fighting Arachnarok spiders and what looks an awful lot like mother-lovin’ Tzeentch. I might be wrong in that, but lord I hope not, because Tzeentch has always been my Chaos god, and sadly he’s gotten a raw deal in videogames to date

Anyway, you’ll want to watch this.

I’d probably need to dedicate a whole day to identifying every unit they’ve included there, but it very much suggests this won’t be a straight-up orcs vs men affair. Whether the game itself looks as epic-scale, dark’n’nasty as this suggests I don’t know, but in the meantime, solely within the context of trailers, let’s just enjoy what might just be one of the most spectacular animated depictions of Games Workshop’s fantasy wargame that we’ve ever seen:

That is a Lord of Change, right? Right? Tell me I’m right. I also like the slight hint of a prog rock soundtrack right there at the end.

Initial details from publisher SEGA confirm the game will include the Empire (under Karl Franz), the Greenskins (under Grimgor Ironhide), the Dwarfs (under High King Thorgrim) and the Vampire Counts (under Mannfred von Carstien). Chaos, whether Tzeentch or not, isn’t mentioned by name, but it does say here that “a greater threat still whispers in the winds from the north. The fabric of reality itself begins to rend and buckle” so yeah, Chaos is in there too.

We’re also promised “a unique combination of colossal real-time battles and an addictive turn-based sandbox campaign game of statecraft, politics and empire building”, so can expect something structurally similar to other Total Wars, and right off the bat they mention that there’ll be “two further standalone instalments and additional content packs”, which should calm the nerves of aggrieved Skaven, Ogre Kingdoms, Lizardmen and Elf fans.

And yes, Total War: Warhammer is what they eventually settled on as a name. Date is ‘coming soon’ for now. But how soon is soon? Is it now? It would be good if it were now.

From this site

1. amateurviking says:

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Is that an ‘Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ oh great another clusterfcuk like Rome 2?

Or an ‘Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ oh great another boatload of DLC those cnuts want to peddle to me that should be free or in a giant standalone expansion, like the good ‘ol days?

Or even a ‘Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ oh great I’ll just wait for the inevitable GOTY edition and Steam 80% off sale so that by that time it’s vaguely playable?

Possibly an ‘Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ oh great why should I buy this when Medieval 2 already has a superb Warhammer mod called Rage of the Dark Gods that has all races (new patch includes final 4 races) and won’t cost me anything at all other than base game + kingdoms?

Finally, is it an ‘Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ I’m super thanks for asking?

• Creeping Death says:

Perhaps its an ‘Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’ if you’re going to use cunt at least spell it right! You big negative nancy

2. WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

I do hope there are more factions than just Empire, Dwarves, Orcs, Vampire Counts and Chaos included. Bretonnia, Lizardmen and the Tomb Kings are my favourites, not to mention the three elven factions! Then again maybe it’s all part of that “trilogy” thing they have going, which I assume will be something like Shogun 2, ROTS and FOTS.

I would have preferred a single super-grand campaign with all the factions there, but I suppose Sega gotta keep that DLC machine rollin’. :( Anyway, let’s see.

• bills6693 says:

Agreed. I worry we will see a number of campaigns based on individual contents – a ’empire’ campaign, a ‘lustria’ campaign etc. Its how it has seemed to be ever since Napoleon really. Shogun brought back scale a bit, and I think Rome 2 did a bit but I never managed to get into that at all. Not even tried atilla, but Warhammer may bring me back in after the disappointments of Napoleon, Shogun 2 and Rome 2 for me.

If they have one giant world, with all the factions, and a massive scale campaign like Empire’s was… well, then I would probably be all over it. Even if it takes a few DLC packs, as long as it integrates into a massive campaign. If it is a number of small scale campaigns, meh. I feel like the universe lends itself more to an epic scale campaign, but I feel the business model does not.

• WhatAShamefulDisplay says:

Yes, you have structured my own thoughts far more coherently than I managed!

• whatfruit says:

From the listed named characters mentioned (Ironohide, Franz, Throgrim, Manfred Von Carstien and Chaos from the North) it is likely that the game will be sent during the Third Incursion of Chaos a.ka. the Storm of Chaos

The Chaos Character will Archaon The Everchosen Lord of The End Times.

link to en.wikipedia.org

• Czrly says:

More are factions needed! So far, they’ve announced vanilla humans, green humans, short humans and humans who have contracted vampirism. They have hinted at chaos which effectively means “any of the above, gone mad” Such a disappointment!

3. OpT1mUs says:

Slightly corny as it should be. We may finally get a decent WH:F game after a looooong time, enough with the Spash Maroons.

• Rizlar says:

Yeah the orcs look like orcs, the empire look like dorks and the priest of Sigmar is suitably grizzled and grim-faced. That book he was thumbing through felt so darned Warhammer. All as it should be!

• Palindrome says:

That was a Light Wizard, not a Warrior Priest. not to be pedantic of course :)

• Rizlar says:

That makes more sense. I did wonder about the lack of armour and the whole daemonic possession thing.

4. XhomeB says:

Do NOT f it up, CA. Don’t you dare. Enough “Rome 2”-like disasters.
    Still play Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen from time to time, so I happen to have rather high expecations for this thing.

• Riaktion says:

You do? I loved Dark Omen, how do you play it on modern PC’s? I guess I’d need to find a copy of the game as well :)

• DwarfJuggler says:

From the sounds of what Total War guys have been saying, a separate team has been working on this since Rome 2 and Attila were in development.

So hopefully that team has been moderately aware of the backlash received from those two games and can dodge the minefield they stumbled into.

• Artist says:

Pffft! Its still CA! They are the masters of building and stumbling into their own minefields…. Bet they botch this one more time?

5. Rolento says:

Reminds me of the intro to DOW. Loving it!

Was that a Tzeentch Lord of Change at the end? It would make a nice change from Khorne all the time.

Huzzah!

• Steelphoenix says:

Huzzah indeed !

• gorgonaut says:

That was, indeed, a Lord Of Change Daemon Prince!
      Even though Total War games never really appealed to me, I’ll at least give this a go. Ah, to play the Lizardmen…a man can dream (of future DLC).

• Okami says:

A Lord of Change is a greater demon of Tzeentch and not a demon prince. Demon princes being mortals champions of chaos who have been elevated to demonhood by their masters.

What do they teach kids in schools these days?

(Because I sure as hell don’t know what they taught when I was a kid, since I was preoccupied with all things Warhammer)

• gorgonaut says:

By the Emprah, you’re right! I’ll clean my fingertips with soap after this embarrassing show of ignorance.

I never had enough money to buy one of those. Usually, I’d just go to the troubled kids, and buy whatever they had acquired, at a deep discount. Now, though, I love the pulpy literature. And painting the miniatures, albeit acquired the legal way.

• FriendlyFire says:

While I’ve not seen anything confirmed yet, it’s fairly likely that this trailer was made by the same people, actually. Blur Studio have done the intro cinematics for DoW and DoW2 as well as a metric ton of other games (if you saw a slick prerendered cinematic, chances are they did it).

• DwarfJuggler says:

All the Warhammer cinematic cgi trailers or intros seem to be amazing. If these guys are behind all of them, I would think they found a niche style to capitalize on.

A warhammer cgi movie? :P Would probably take them ages to render it all, but with how lovely their trailers are I’d definitely give it a watch.

• Spoony_Bart says:

Most sources that I came across so far seem to be pointing instead at the Polish-based Platige Image of Witcher and Cyberpunk 2077 fame.

• Jenks says:

Wouldn’t say all the time

6. Philopoemen says:

From the fact sheet that was floating around sounds like there’ll be four playable races – Empire, Dwarves (non Chaos- variety),Orcs and Undead.

I’m curious as to how CA will fare with a storyline campaign given their previous titles sandboxy approach

• Reefpirate says:

The impression that I got from this article is that it’s going to be a sandboxy approach here too. Which is fine by me.

7. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

The MYSTERIOUS MYSTERY FACTION is always Chaos.

• Ben Barrett says:

WHO COULD BE CONTROLLING THE GREENSKINS IN THIS THE YEAR OF OUR LORD 2006???

• Durin says:

Not this time, that would be chaos.

• Durin says:

Not this time, that would mean chaos.

• EhexT says:

And when it’s 40k the mysterious mystery faction is always Tyranids.

• jonfitt says:

They leap from the shadows twirling all eight of their mustaches with a “BWAHAHA! Nobody expects the Lord of Chaos”.
      At which point everybody rolls their eyes and says “Well obviously.”

• RedWurm says:

I don’t see how even the characters can be surprised by this any more. At this point if anything bad happens near a space marine they should round up all the chaplains, starting with the moody mysterious ones.

8. Durin says:

Im torn. AAA strategy Warhammer is all I want but the Total War games never clicked for me. If only this didnt have the real-time battles it would be absolute perfection.

Ill buy it anyway though…

Slick trailer.

cpt_freakout says:

You know, a wargame like WH40K Armaggeddon but in the WH Fantasy setting would be quite awesome. I’m still waiting for that Fantasy General release from GOG, after all…

• Danarchist says:

As long as I can issue orders while the game is paused I will be happy. Trying to micromanage giant blobs of interspersed units, formations, and strategery while the old stand by of units “appearing out of the woods” occurs every other minute is something my younger mind enjoyed. My older mind is frankly too tired and busy trying to figure out how to fight aphids.

9. Wowbagger says:

Filthy Humans won’t know what hit them.

cpt_freakout says:

(in Porky voice) Total War-War-War-Warhammer

11. Orija says:

Remember Rome 2 and Attila, lads. Don’t fucking preorder.

• Thurgret says:

Attila’s pretty good.

• Morte66 says:

Wise words indeed.

• Vin_Howard says:

Haven’t most Total War games sucked at release, though?

• El_MUERkO says:

Rome 2 and Atilia? I’ve not even bought them, not pre-ordered since Empire was a crock of shite, Shogun 2 was the last time I enjoyed Total War. But with this, I have hope that Creative will get some of their mojo back, they’ve got to feel some of the hype this is creating, get this right and they’ll have a franchise on their hands. I’ll not pre-order but I’ll buy it as some as I hear from trusted sources that it’s good.

12. bv728 says:

Gimme my damned skaven, and I am there.

• Wowbagger says:

^This

• Zekiel says:

Also this. I can never work out why Orcs and Dwarves get wheeled out – given than they are in every fantasy land ever – when there are interesting and moderately unusual factions like Skaven available.

(Far be it from me to say GW are in any way original – just that scheming ratmen don’t appear in many other fantasy worlds)

• Pantalaimon says:

Yeah, I hope this is fantastic and everything at release (or, you know, umpteen patches later), but until lizardmen (and skaven) arrive I can’t get too excited. I always thought they were the most interesting and the most fun models to paint.

13. JamesTheNumberless says:

The Lord of Change always gets a raw deal, which is understandable when you consider the 3 other greater daemons are great big hulking nightmares, while he’s a sort of blue bird thing that does magic.

• Zekiel says:

Yeah but he’s really really sneaky… which of course never translates into game mechanics in any way whatsoever.

• RedWurm says:

It’s also difficult to represent intelligence in a painted miniature. I suppose you could try to make it look like a tree or something.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Because trees are noted for their intelligence? Hm, They seem to do a decent job with all their wizards and stuff. Just make a big demon with a beard and a pointy hat.

• Rizlar says:

Giant pink crab-person with like eight tits, anyone?

14. Distortion says:

If the low number of initial factions means that they spend way more time making sure the game is done right, I will have no qualms about forking it over later for DLC factions.

15. TomxJ says:

Didn’t they, like, blow Warhammer up last month?

Also; these who did this trailer. Yes them. Or you, if you’re one of those people.
    Go make a movie like this. It will be huge.

• Exitalterego says:

I think the reason we are getting this game now is exactly because they blew up/are rebooting Warhammer.

I’ll admit that I’m not 100% read up on the whole reboot, but I’ve seen rumours/theories that they are moving it from what it is now to a post-apocalyptic skirmish game with a much reduced race count. If true, that kind of opens up Total War: Warhammer to keep the classic incarnation alive without GW losing any profits!

• TomxJ says:

So Creative Assembly get this because Games-workshop is basically making TSRs Darksun?

Nice.

16. Morte66 says:

It is a shame that this is a trailer for a RTS rather than a RPG.

Oh well.

• Zekiel says:

Yeah I can never work why we’ve never seen a Warhammer RPG. (Have we?) It seems to me that Dragon Age in the Warhammer World would sell like hot cakes. (Perhaps even better – I’m not up to date on hot cake sales these days)

• mattevansc3 says:

I’m not 100% certain of this but I don’t think hot cake sales recovered from the Tories trying to tax them.

• Morte66 says:

This seems like a trailer for the second game in the Warhammer RPG. In part one you start as some nobody fleeing for their life who takes up adventuring. In part 2 some evil dude who totally isn’t called Jonaleth Irenicus reads an old book and summons something nasty, and it becomes your problem. Warhammer’s Gate I and II, it could be huge. Instead we get some poxy “action RPG” with “timing based combat” about a “Witcher”.

• kud13 says:

The reason you can’t have a good Warhammer RPG is because when you boil it down to the bases terms, Warhammer is a world populated with all the fantasy trppes you can think of… WHERE EVERYONE HATES EVERYONE ELSE.

You can’t have an interesting multi-racial party. I mean, technically, you can, but anywhere your party goes, someone would ALWAYS want to kill at least one of you, for some millenia-old racial grudge.

The whole idea of warhammer status quo is the mutual acknowledgement of no single faction is strong enough to commit total genocide of everyone else… for now.

• Malibu Stacey says:

And yet it never stops them trying.

Also, “for now” needs to be bold in that statement.

17. draglikepull says:

3 minutes of video and I know absolutely nothing about the game except what the title tells me. Good trailer! I definitely want to buy the game now!

• Zekiel says:

Personally I choose to believe this is all in-game footage.

Of course were that to be the case my computer would never be able to run it in a million years…

18. Kefren says:

Good until the over-used cliche sound bass “cinematic” effect at 2:22.
    Please time-travel me to the year before that was first used and infected every film or game trailer like the T-Virus.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

You want to go back to around 2000 then, low frequency effects started to come into big movies some time in either 2000 or 2001 after cinemas were equipped as standard with sound systems that could do justice to them. I think they were used in a submarine movie in the 90s but it was definitely the first LOTR movie that turned it into a must have for every action/sci-fi/fantasy film & game.

• Kefren says:

Thanks for that, I think you’re right. Yes, I remember the LOTR trailer when everyone gets flattened. I liked the effect as new and appropriate. Now it is overused and slipped in anywhere, almost like a form of punctuation, but sadly that turns it into the “whoo yeah” of dance and pop music c.1990.

19. Maxheadroom says:

Ive thought that the TW series has been running out of steam for a while now, so untill they fiugure out how to include bi-planes into the tactical combat and give us Total War-WW1, this is a very welcome addition.

• Baines says:

A lot of flying creatures in the trailer. If they are more than just regular units that hover slightly above the ground, then maybe they might have a groundwork for planes. Odds are they’ll just be regular units that hover over the ground, though. :/

phuzz says:

In 40k flying units either hovered above the table, or sometimes ‘fly high’ which effectively means not on the board.

• wengart says:

To do any sort of modern combat (essentially past the Franco Prussian War) they would need a new way of handling the real-time battles.

Maps would have be gigantic in order for modern weapons to work and they would have to completely redo the infantry. Men didn’t fight in big blocks anymore/

• sventoby says:

I don’t think WWI would work, the battles were just too huge. I would welcome some additions to the core gameplay of the series, though. Flying units and heroes with special abilities would be a good start.

20. Synesthesia says:

I’ve always wanted to play warhammer, but the money sink was something i could never do. I still own horus heresy, and i love it. I’d love to know more about the lore. Who is the blue guy?

• Zekiel says:

If I recall my Warhammer lore correctly it is Papa Smurf.

• silgidorn says:

I think Papa Smurf has a red cap so it’s definitively not him. Maybe Pharaoh Smurf ?

• Runty McTall says:

I may be wrong but I don’t think it’s a specific named character – probably a Priest of Sigmar (maybe wizard?) who has been corrupted by Chaos and either summons or is possessed by a greater daemon of Tzeentch.

• Synesthesia says:

ooh, is chaos a part of fantasy warhammer too? I thought it was a 40k thing only. Lovely!

• thekelvingreen says:

The Ruinous Powers of Chaos are in both settings. Indeed, back in the 80’s it was the same setting and it wouldn’t be unusual to see a chaos warrior whip out a laser pistol. As it were.

• Runty McTall says:

Chaos is very much in this setting yes – same 4 gods in fact.

I haven’t really followed the comings and goings of the tabletop lore for about 15 years but I understand that, as someone alluded to above, pretty recently GW actually had Chaos succeed in literally destroying the world, wiping out basically everyone except Skaven (anthropomorphic rats), Slaan (toads/lizards) and one other mysterious person.

Prior to that, almost everything in 40k had an analogue in Warhammer:
          – Chaos => Chaos
          – The warp / psykers => the warp / magic (the winds of magic flow from a ruptured Slaan warp gate at the north pole)
          – The Imperium => The Empire (mediaeval Germans) / Brettonia (mediaeval French)
          – Eldar => Elves
          – Dark Eldar => Dark Elves…
          – Squats => Dwarves

I guess there is non overlap – there’s no tyranids, tau or necrons in Warhammer (although there are classic undead types like vampires, zombies, mummies and so on) and 40k has no chaos dwarves or skaven.

Warhammer was a decent IP to me – sad if they have literally wiped it all out (from what I understand from wikis, specifically and canonically killing basically every named character ever in the process).

• EOT says:

The Hrud are effectively Space Skaven and the Tomb Kings are analogous enough to Necrons if you don’t peer too closely.

21. Acosta says:

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD

22. Merijeek says:

Ben Kingsly, no!

23. Drumclem says:

Do you think that “our rules have changed” bit means that the AI is going to stop being dumb during sieges?

• mattevansc3 says:

Seeing its a GW license it probably means its gone from last week’s rule book to this week’s rule book.

• Merijeek says:

I assume it means they’ll be inserting in the likes of magic and crazy powerful leader figures. I don’t think TW has done that before, have they?

• Vacuity729 says:

What it means is that magic fire really can burn down metal gates in a couple of minutes!

24. kud13 says:

I like how this looks.

I will not pre-order. I will wait for the reviews and the inevitable expansions to include all the interesting races.

This’d better be moddable.

25. jonfitt says:

An exciting premise. But I’ll be waiting for a Gold or GOTY Edition that includes the inevitable eighty-millions tiny pieces of DLC. I’ve not been loving the TW games since they encrypted the game files so they could justify selling reskins of units when the community used to churn them out as mods.

26. Vacuity729 says:

Tzeentch is good, but where’s Slaanesh? Where’s my beloved Keeper of Secrets? Drat and blast it. I’m going to need a new computer for this; the one I have chugs so horribly on Rome 2 that I’ve given up trying.

• jonfitt says:

I could see Slaanesh being a good infiltration unit. It would ruin the production output of a city as everyone stopped working to get jiggy.
      The Nurgle unit would ruin population growth with a plague.

• mattevansc3 says:

Better yet the Chaos gods could be a passive creeping system. If your population is too happy Slaneesh cults start to form. As your research goes up so do the chances of your mages and scholars turning to Tzeentch. Is your city developing a warrior culture? Best watch out for that Khorne culture.

Nurgle would be the awkward one as disease is a negative aspect that you don’t want. Maybe as your population grows so does the risk of disease and epidemics. As your population succumbs to blight they start looking to whatever god will “save” them.

• jonfitt says:

That would be good, if the Chaos faction does not start with a city. The first city to fall creates the Chaos faction.

• Josh W says:

Could be a consequence of doing very badly in the early stages; poverty and military disarray cause diseases to spread, thus allowing nurgle a foothold. You could have Khorne doing the same for people who are being very successful.

27. jonfitt says:

I’m not sure how they’ll include politics. There are two sides who really don’t mix well.
    Humans: Let us make peace
    Orks: No
    Vampire Counts: No. Only war.

cpt_freakout says:

Advisor: “My Lord, we should arrange marriage of your daughter Lady Helga Von Hottenkopf with her pretender, Grashnak Stinkclaw, to secure the continuity of our peace treaty with our friends, the ‘Umies Must Die Clan.”

• Palindrome says:

I strongly suspect that there will be a lot of non playable factions such as Bretonnia, Kislev and Loren. A Grand Campaign wouldn’t be very grand with only 4 factions after all.

28. JohnnyPanzer says:

Never have I been so fine with a purely cinematic trailer. There’s plenty of time for gameplay videos, I refuse to bitch over something that’s THIS awesome!

And I think they chose wisely in the low mumber of factions. I doubt it would be possible to make each faction justice if they spread the faction butter too thin from the start. I’m not against DLC if it’s done well, and this is one game where I think a DLC model could work out very nicely.

• jonfitt says:

I think paying for additional factions is a fine addition. However, I suspect we’ll see:

Gryphon armour: $2
      Champion Wargear: $5
      Gamestop Exclusive Launch Content Pack: $5
      Best Buy Exclusive Launch Content Pack: $5
      Amazon Exclusive Launch Content Pack: $5
      Blood for the blood god: $2
      Skulls for the skull throne: $1

• JohnnyPanzer says:

That’s not too bad either, as long as they ALSO sell full fledged factions and new campaigns for a reasonable price. In my opinion, good DLC should revolve around either solid content that’s been developed after the release of the main game, or fluff that has no actual impact on the gameplay. The examples you mention would clearly fall under the second rule, so I’d be fine with that.

Then again, I’ve never had much against DLC to begin with. Even the games that portion out pre-made content in pieces tend to have more content at launch than most games used to have ten or fifteen years ago. It’s a pretty shady thing to do, but as long as I feel like I’m getting my money’s worth out of the stand-alone game, I tend not to be very offended. I mean, if I enjoy a game and I get maybe 100 hours of fun out of it, I find it hard to get pissed off when they start portioning out even MORE content for a few bucks.

But to be clear, I can certainly see why others might feel differently, at least when the DLC is clearly pre-made. But in my opinion CA are pretty honest with their DLC…

29. Carlos Danger says:

Think I have watched trailer about 8 times at this point. Can’t wait to throw my money at this one. Hopefully they will allow some form of early access from pre-orders.

30. postrook says:

Total Warhammer

31. SpoiledToast says:

I really hope Games Workshop manages to “do a Marvel” somehow. They have so much interesting stuff, people just can’t get to it, or it’s terrible.

32. vorador says:

If you have good eyes, you can see how the back of the book the priest of Sigmar was reading had a chaos symbol. On 0:30

My frothing demand for this game increases.

33. sventoby says:

Are they still using the Warscape engine? I can’t put my finger on it but it never felt right to me. Medieval 2 plays a lot better and doesn’t look all that much worse.

34. Archonsod says:

To be honest it’s nowhere near as good as the intro cinematic to Mark of Chaos.

Although equally even if it ends up being the usual Creative Assembley cock up it’ll still be a better game.

35. liquidsoap89 says:

I would have liked so see some races like Skaven, Lizardmen, any of the elves or Tomb Kings present. Hell I’d even be down to see Bretonnians.

36. Serenegoose says:

Yeah but wouldn’t it be nice if we got to see one of the interesting races.

I mean besides orks. Big on orks. But humans? dwarves? chaos? Come on. Dull, short, and duller, right there.

37. Sinnorfin says:

For a sec i read ‘under Fran Kranz’ :D

38. Czrly says:

I think this COULD be fantastic. I loved Dark Omen and the Total War real-time battle system should be able to recreate that experience, as long as they allow themselves to become a bit silly and indulge in the glory of Warhammer battles. Orc artillery is the iconic example: it is SUPPOSED to go off in odd directions and set stuff on fire unintentionally.

Of course, there’s one minor problem: it’s a Total War game. Every single one of those since Medieval II has suffered from a particular problem. I found that I didn’t enjoy playing them because only one macro-level strategy worked: build up a massive death-ball that so vastly outnumbers the enemy that you can auto-resolve the battles and not spend your whole evening watching yet another loading screen.

39. PancakeWizard says:

Looking forward to this.

Anyone else notice how low-quality the Dwarves were compared to everything else?

40. deadlysprout says:

For the love Of Sigmar, I really hope that this will be the game to pull the Total War series out of this pit they’ve been digging for themselves over the years… And what better place than RPS to vent about the features I believe this game NEEDS to include:
    > first of all, DLC is fine! Just sell sub and minor factions or special campaign DLCs, I’ve grown to accept those , just don’t fix core mechanics after you started selling the main game, that comes off as kinda scummy…
    > the whole “unification war” at the beginning of Rome 2/ shogun where the some of the only good additions ! 5 races seems to limit that somewhat, which is a bit disapointing…
    > None of that fast paced, casual, capture the flag stuff from Rome 2! Please! This is WH, the combat must be bloody, slow and sluggish, spiced up with magic and tactics to accelerate the decimation!

This are only a few points off the top of my head, but I hope that CA are considering these as we know that they are capable of doing great! We’ve seen bits and pieces of amazing games from them, time to bring it all together and not to see this title as the obvious cash cow it could be!

41. thelastpointer says:

That trailer was as cheesy as it is great.

42. Bweahns says:

Please to be adding Wood Elves. Who am I kidding, Wood Elves have been starved of attention since I began playing in the mid 90’s.

43. voodoo_ch says:

The dlc practice for the Total War games annoys me. Which race is the preorder bonus? *sigh*