Cheap Pop: WWE 2K15 Coming To PC Soon

WWE 2K15 is coming to PC “this spring”. While the latest entry in the series has had something of a rough reception in console land, I’m excited about this. There hasn’t been an official WWE game on PC since 2002 and even though this seems like a transitional year at best – Eurogamer call it “actively bad” – 2K do solid sports work elsewhere. They acquired the WWE license following THQ’s dissolution in 2013 and will hopefully turn the ship around before long, rather than aiming for the rocks.

As for the PC version itself? What better way to get John Cena over with the fans than to have him deliver an honest-to-goodness, PC-lovin’ promo right here in the middle of the RPS squared circle. That’s below.

Entering the ring to face masked newcomer HoReyes Mysterio, Cena placed his US Championship belt over his shoulder and grabbed a microphone. This was going to be one of those long talky sections to further an angle.

“One of the great bonuses of getting the game on PC is that you get nearly all of the downloadable content that was released after WWE 2K15 launched in October free, as part of the package,” Cena said. “That’s an incredible amount of content: 36 extra characters, 4 new managers, 26 matches, 46 entire single player stories and cut scenes in 2K Showcase, and a whole lot more. It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that that’s a pretty awesome deal.”

The infinite luchador encircled the ring, the building and then the universe as he waited to hear more.

“I grew up playing games on my PC,” Cena said. “Texas Instruments, Commodore 64… I was a huge PC gamer growing up, so this is big. Not only for our fans, but for me personally as well. Fans may not know this, but I was such a huge PC gamer that I bought a living room entertainment system just to play PC games back in the day. So don’t be surprised if you flash forward 50 years and yours truly is sitting in his living room playing computer games!”

Both wrestlers seemed satisfied. Today, words take the place of blows and the bewildered crowd will have to wait until the next PPV (that’s a reference to the release of the game, I guess? – non-wresting ed) to find out if all the build-up leads to anything worthwhile.

Two version of the game were released on console, one for last-gen and one for current, and as you’d expect, we’re getting the shiner one. The PC seems like the perfect home for the character creation suite, if nothing else – sure, there are plenty of custom created characters out there already but if I know PC folks, they’ll be churning them out day and night.

I’ll be playing as soon as it’s available, just as I watch every pay-per-view even when there’s nothing particularly exciting on the card. Even I have to grit my teeth through some shoddiness, I have hopes that next year’s release will be much-improved. And hopefully on PC day one.

1. Spacewalk says:

The Texas Instrumentals would be a pretty good name for a tag-team.

2. Hillbert says:

*chest chop*

WOOOOHH!

3. Skeletor68 says:

Cool news! I haven’t played a wrestling game in ages. In all seriousness, Smackdown 2 on the PS2 was a fantastic game and likely one of my all-time favourites. It had a semi-randomly generated storyline, allowed a co-op career mode and had loads of customisation. Have the new ones been very poorly received?

I remember having great fun with a 2 on 1 Kane and Undertaker v Stephanie McMahon match with my buddy where we just alternated flying elbows on poor Steph’s battered body. Please don’t read into that.

• Jalan says:

SmackDown 2: Know Your Role was a title released on the first Playstation, not the PS2. It was fun though (it was the game that spawned a 30 minute tables match between an old friend and I), despite not being the best SmackDown title (that goes to SmackDown: Here Comes the Pain).

• Skeletor68 says:

You’re right PS1, not PS2! Also the console I had Super Street Fighter Alpha 3 on, one of my other favourite games of all time.

4. Skeletor68 says:

I want to edit my post to start with *tilts head upwards* ‘FInally, WWE has come back to PC.’

5. Ansob says:

Is this the one where you can make Gabe Newell fight Sonic the Hedgehog, or is that a different wrestling game?

• jon_hill987 says:

Now, remember that talk we had about the difference between dreams and reality?

• Zankman says:

VGCW – Video Game Championship Wrestling – is indeed the best thing evar. For a show that relies on AI matches and thus semi-unexpected and chaotic conclusions, it has better booking than the WWE.

Wiki page about it on its own wiki, so that you can get up to speed on *what* exactly it is: link to vgcw.wikia.com

I wonder if they will make the switch to PC now, hm. They stayed on WWE 2k14 for last-gen since 2K15 – on both new-gen and last-gen – has a much more limited Creation Suite, as well as a limited amount of custom wrestler slots.

I wonder if modding can bypass that?

6. int says:

All my life, all I ever wanted was to
    Be a wrestler
    Fighting in the ring
    Winning that belt.
    And so I dreamed every night that I was the
    Undertaker
    Smashing skulls in
    Breaking arms.
    But I’m so worked up. This is something I can do.
    Do I have what it takes inside?

7. DashingDorm says:

Here’s hoping PC port won’t be Raw.

• edwardoka says:

I see what you’re Chyna do – I only hope that they Kane make this game work properly on PC and that nothing is Austin translation, or else they’ll hit Rock Bottom and we’ll never get a HHH wrestling game on PC.

8. TheApologist says:

I quite like wrestling, but I haven’t the first clue as to why.

9. Zankman says:

Finally, waited for years for this to happen!

So excited!

I just hope that the port is good and that it consequently gets good publicity… Hm, coincidentally, TotalBiscuit, who can make or break games with his coverage, has recently taken a liking of WWE and wrestling, hm…

10. DarkLiberator says:

I’ve heard some poor reviews of the console version though. I hope the gameplay is decent.

11. Perjoss says:

Excellent news! now I can pretend to be a wrestler who pretends to beat up his pretend opponents.

12. Robstafarian says:

I really hope that our chances of finally getting a PC release of an MMA game do not hinge on this game’s sales. I can see it happening, since it is a sports game which mixes “striking” and “grappling.” Years ago, I pickup up Fire Pro Wrestling Returns for the Playstation 2 just for its MMA mode: the controls for counters, sweeps, and scrambles had hidden depth like the late 90s King of Fighters releases.

• Zankman says:

Well, unfortunately the combat is not that realistic, though. :P

Since it runs on the rest of the Fire Pro engine, all moves are simply a bunch of DMG numbers.

So, there is an unrealistic amount of punishment being handed out.

13. thekelvingreen says:

I watched someone play a tag team game of this on PS4 and every time he tried to pin his opponent, his AI-controlled team-mate would come over and punch him to break the pin; the programming is so janky that the AI looks out for a pin but doesn’t discriminate between its team or the opponent. It was hilarious and sad.

14. LOC says:

It comes out on Steam here in the US on April 28th. Yes, it comes out in 5 days. HEH, can’t wait to finally play a real wrestling game on PC. So awesome 2K and WWE are doing this this year. I just wish the game we were getting was a bit, better?

15. JiminyJickers says:

Sweet, finally some modern Wrastlin on PC.