Gnarly – Overlord: Fellowship Of Evil Announced

Good news: Codemasters teasing a new Overlord game has not lead up to the announcement of a free-to-play mobile game where you build minion hives, harvest fungus, and farm sheep (any Overlord worth their salt steals sheepies, for one thing). Disappointing news: the newly-announced Overlord: Fellowship of Evil [official site] is not the proper Overlord sequel you might be hoping for. Descriptive news: it’s a class-based, co-op-oriented action-RPG more about getting in and fighting yourself than leading armies of minions.

Here, come have a look in the first trailers:

Fellowship of Evil is a spin-off rather than a sequel, seeing four naughty people resurrected by chief minion Gnarl to defeat a plague of niceness that’s infecting their hellish home. No, you certainly will not be sending squillions of minions rampaging all over the place. These four Netherghūls still have the help of ‘minion champions’ they can develop, but it’s not Overlord Overlord. I be awfully disappointed if it turns out I can’t have minions plunder daft treasures and wander around wearing pumpkin hats and brandishing rolling pins.

Still, they are committing to the world of Overlord by getting Gnarl’s voice actor and series writer Rhianna Pratchett back in. The tone was always a fair part of the series’ fun. However, actually getting in there and hitting things with swords and axes and zapspells yourself was one of Overlord’s weakest points. I trust they’ll surely start over from scratch with that.

And yes, it will support solo play too.

Overlord: Fellowship of Evil will cost £14.99/19,99€/$19.99 when it arrives later this year. Here’s a trailer explaining more of the backstory and whatnot:

1. Xzi says:

Looks okay at best. Then again, the old Overlord games were okay at best.

2. CKScientist says:

Overlord has never quite worked for me. The comedy/writing always kind of missed, and I didn’t like the gameplay much. I love the minion animations though. I think I’d like the game more if it focused only on the minions and dropped the dull 3rd person combat.

3. commentingaccount says:

TBH, I always wanted to like Overlord, but the gameplay never worked. I hope this one does, given it’s a different genre.

Also, why the hell is the game priced 20 Euros? That’s more than 15 Pounds and 20 US Dollars… Fucking hell, people east of the UK get fucked over again.

• Vin_Howard says:

I’m guessing it’s all the EU regulations and the resulting high-cost-of-business that are driving up the prices

• Author X says:

According to my google search, 20€ is actually barely less than 15 GBP, and only slightly more than $20.

• phelix says:

Don’t forget the completely shitty EUR-USD exchange rate. ATM (no pun intended) €1 only gets you $1.08 where it used to be somewhere around $1.30.

4. Author X says:

I was pretty wary when we saw the brief snippet yesterday, but honestly, now that we have more information I’m excited. Mostly because I love the characters, just from their designs and their deaths. Aggressive barbarian that jumps into fights she can’t win? Fabulous runway-model necromancer that would sacrifice herself just to screw over everyone else? Dwarf and Elf fighters that already killed each-other once before being forced into cooperation-slash-competition? I’ll take them all. And of course it’s hard to go wrong with Rhianna Pratchett writing and Marc Silk reading.

I guess my point is, my favorite parts of the Overlord games were the characters and writing and humour. The actual gameplay was better in theory, and kind of middling in practice. So I don’t mind an overhaul of the gameplay at all, as long as I get to command my minions and have them dress up a bit in random found items (which it looks like we will, to a lesser extent). I just hope the gameplay will leave room for the writing – the trailer makes it sound like it will be more mission-based with isolated levels, instead of exploration and story-driven gameplay.

5. Shuck says:

“it’s a class-based, co-op-oriented action-RPG more about getting in and fighting yourself than leading armies of minions.”
    What part of “Overlord” didn’t they understand?
    It’s one thing to do a sequel that takes it in a different direction, or explores an idea or setting introduced in a previous game, but it’s another thing entirely to arbitrarily stick an unrelated game into the franchise for no other reason than you want to benefit from the previous marketing.

• Xzi says:

Eh, it’s basically a re-creation of the series, IE a brand-new series. Marketing move to try and capture anyone who played the old Overlord games, as well as hopefully an entirely new audience. I agree that it’s a bit crude, but Hollywood does it all the time and gaming industry is clearly starting to take notice.

• Jenks says:

I agree with you, I wasn’t in love with Overlord’s setting but really enjoyed the Pikmin style gameplay. They ditched the wrong half, IMO.

• Xocrates says:

Which means that games like Tales of the Borderlands and Lara Croft and the Guardian of light should have been scrapped just for the principle of the thing?

Honestly, I have zero problems with spinoffs, especially if they’re not meant to take over the main series itself. Yes, it’s a way to benefit from previous market, but it’s also a way of expanding the world and audience.

I’m hoping this is an attempt to see if the franchise still has enough weight to eventually expand to a proper Overlord 3 – which they clearly state this is not meant to replace – but if they make a good game out of this then I don’t hugely care either way.

6. icemann says:

Boooo.

*throws rotten vegetables at Codemasters*

7. barelyhomosapien says:

I was initially happy to have another aRPG contender on the field.

But it all sounds a bit like Gauntlet the overlordenning. Not that there’s anything wrong with Gauntlet. But we have a perfectly good Gauntlet. It’s called Gauntlet.

8. Hitchslapped says:

The colours are physically hurting me.

9. teamcharlie says:

The great thing about Overlord I and II was that, even though you played the Overlord himself, the evil minions were really the stars of the show. Individually they were cute and goofy, sure, and their deaths were often pointless and stupid, but in a big enough swarm they were absolutely terrifying.

Now the game’s selling point is…uh, nothing, I guess. Maybe the writing in the game is clever or something. Hard to tell from a trailer how that actually goes down when you’re playing the game itself. Do you like co-op aRPGs? Here’s another one!