Not Chess – Warhammer 40,000: Regicide Gameplay Trailer

The ‘Chess’ wodged in the middle of its name when Warhammer 40,000: Regicide [official site] was announced made us grown, roll our eyes, bite our lip, stomp our feet, and refuse to eat our vegetables. Surely even the lazybones in Games Workshop’s licensing department wouldn’t give the go-ahead to a game that was simply chess with Space Marines? Turns out, no.

As we got a peek at before, Regicide’s a turn-based strategy game which looks mighty chess-like until someone whips out an AoE frag grenade. Now a new video explains more of how it works.

Here’s project lead Cathrin Machin of Hammerfall Publishing with words and moving pictures:

Looks interesting, that, dunnit? Not just because of the Space Marines blowing the ‘heck’ out of orks. It’s hard to get a sense of quite how it’ll feel to play but yeah, I kinda dig what they’ve on top of chess.

Regicide is due to arrive on Steam Early Access (of course it is) on May 5th. It’ll cost $14.99 (so, what, £9.99?) and sounds like once it’s done it’ll sell DLC things like extra subfactions and new story campaigns. It’ll have cross-platform play with the tablet and pocket telephone versions when they launch, sharing the same account across all.

1. Kharn says:

So Regicide is just the battles from the old (and awesome) Conquest of the New World but with more squares, guns and orks.

It doesn’t sounds bad, but at the same time not interesting enough for a entire game based on it. Even at that price.

2. Bluestormzion says:

Sorry to have to do this…

Groan. With an A. Grown sounds like a Crown on the Ground.. Or a Gown that’s angry. Or much more simply a past tense for grow. But you’re clearly talking about groaning.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Well, I at least am glad you did it, because I was seriously considering doing the same and now I don’t have to. But seriously.. that grown made me groan.

More on topic: yeah, I dunno, I’d rather have one good 40k game than 20 cheap knock-offs.

• Bluestormzion says:

Agreed. Why didn’t they ever make a Dawn of War 2? Not the Dawn of War 2 which is actually more Baldur’s Gate than Dawn of War, but an actual “Here’s the whole effing army, go Exterminatus on somebody’s ass!” sort of Dawn of War 2. I want a Dawn of War 2…

• frogulox says:

ive not ever heard grown sound like a crown on the ground.

• IonTichy says:

. Or much more simply a past tense for grow
      So close….but no.

3. unacom says:

Looks like Banner Saga: Factions. Alas not as good.

4. Continuity says:

Its a shame that they chose chess as a basis, even if only loosely, I’m not sure many people are going to get excited about that… but some completely original 40k boardgame might have been alright.

5. Cat Codex says:

Hey guys,

We’re grateful for all your feedback. We are only just starting our journey with Early Access so as you can imagine there’s lots to do and update.

If you have any questions about the game, please ask away.

• vahnn says:

Why? Just… Why?

• Cat Codex says:

Hey, we love turn based strategy and are long time fans of the Universe. Regicide is something we came across in the Dan Abnett Novels and we’re pretty excited to bring it to life.

• Cleave says:

Since Chess is largely about positioning, covering tiles to restrict your opponent’s moves etc., how does the ability to lob grenades and the like affect this? Is it possible to kill the king with ranged attacks?

• DougieMonster says:

While I’m certainly intrigued (been a long time Warhammer fan!), I’m struggling to understand how, with the addition of ranged attacks, positioning will be important (as it is in chess).

I’ve no doubt that this balance has been considered, just thought it might be worth mentioning. The game (or at least the game that exists in my head as I’ve obviously yet to play this!) reminds me somewhat of Hero Academy. This is by no means a bad thing, HA had me hooked for months! Here’s hoping this can do the same!

• Twitchity says:

I think the Achilles heel might be just what you point out — with a game like chess, it’s hard to add new capabilities that don’t unbalance the basic gameplay. Restricting moves is probably easier to balance but chess already places a number of practical strictures on what pieces can move for a given game state, and randomly preventing moves is not usually a fun mechanic for players. They might simply be adding a kind of secondary game by making normal chess captures a one-shot-one-kill move but ranged attacks take time to whittle down piece “armor,” which would make balancing a bit easier by leaving the core chess elements untouched.

I’m actually more interested in the game than I thought I would be, even though the WH40K license is incredibly overused. (WHFB might have been a better license — by making a chess variant you’ve pretty much ceded mass popularity, so you might as well try to go for a market that has a less-served and more loyal fanbase.) And they can thank Space Hulk for setting the bar so low that even a game of chess looks fast-paced and action-packed by comparison.

• Cat Codex says:

Hero Academy is an amazing game, and in some ways there are similar attributes in both games.

Chess in itself isn’t particularly balanced itself – white wins (on average) 65% of the time. Regicide doesn’t have a perfect balance yet, but currently if feels fun to play.

• DougieMonster says:

A half decent 40k themed “Hero Academy-alike” actually sounds pretty fun. Are there plans for a play by email (ish) multiplayer mode in the same vein as Hero Academy?

• Jediben says:

Your gorgeous. Like an attractive Cara Ellison Please can I have a free copy?