The RPS Bargain Bucket: Bad Poetry Alert

There was once a plushie from Nantucket, who got sent to the Internet in a bucket. He pretended to be lifeless, like a courtier touched by King Midas. Because otherwise, he’d scare the stuffings out of – oh, nevermind. Welcome to your umpteenth installment of Bargain Bucket, where the points don’t matter and flash deals make me want to loom menacingly over the people who invented them. This week’s plushie is from Grizzly, who has delivered what appears to be a mama grizzly and her cub in a rather artistc setting.

The Banner Saga
$7.99/£5.26/€7.35
Drawing inspiration from the golden age of Disney, the Banner Saga is a story about long journeys through a frozen land. Although a Kickstarter success (just look at that gorgeous art), the game staggered a tad when the company release a multiplayer spin-off of its combat module. While people didn’t outright hate it, there were complaints. Luckily, the actual game itself is splendid, a heartrending affair with some truly affecting moments. Again, there were problems. I didn’t like how superfluous the health of your caravan really was. Similarly, I could have done with more cutscenes. (Not really a problem, but. You know.) Either way, it was a pretty little thing, and you can have it now for a much lowered price than before.

Indie Legends Bundle
$3.99/£3.18/€4.44
Well. Damn. This is actually genuinely a good bundle. Monaco, I was completely obsessed with when it first launched. I blathered endlessly about how amazing it was in my review for it elsewhere. And, well. I stand by it. The multiplayer component is gorgeous. Pity that no one plays it anymore. Similarly, I loved Guacamelee, so much so that I couldn’t say guacamole properly for, well, months. Steamworld Dig gets a thumbs-up from me as well, as does Kingdom Rush and DiveKick. Not too sure about Speedrunners and the Fall, but hey, that’s what bundles are about, right?

Far Cry 3
$4.46/£2.95/€4.11
With a villain voted “best insane dude in a long while” by a swathe of hypothetical gamers, Far Cry 3 was a beloved installment in a beloved franchise. In part, I think, because it poses a question that few of us will ever be able to answer: how do you survive a tropical island where madmen roam free? Answer: by shooting a lot of people. (The other reason people liked it so much, I suspect, is because it allows you to use tigers as weapons. And not in a Serious Sam sort of way.) Warning: may require Hola and/or you double-checking to see if this is region blocked in some capacity. Also, Uplay. And, don’t forget the #FUNISHOT code.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II – $14.45/£9.51/€13.29
I like my shooters the way I like my men: slightly brash, slightly irreverent, and prone towards humour. (Borderlands, you are my metaphorical waifu.) As such, I don’t really have much of an opinion on the Call of Duty series. They’re fantastic if you enjoy military shooters; the combat is tight, the community a challenge. At least, that’s what I’m routinely told. Interestingly, the deal here only encompasses the physical version – a worthwhile grab if you’re already planning to spend more than $35 at Amazon, anyway. Otherwise, probably not.

Sniper: Ghost Warrior Trilogy – $2.37/£1.56/€2.18
Help me out here, Bucketeers. Is the Sniper: Ghost Warrior trilogy a resounding yay, a questioning shrug, or a grimace of absolute disgust? I don’t know. I hear it isn’t terrible. But I will let you expound on its virtues (or lack thereof). Warning: Given that it is from Nuuvem, you’re going to want to use Hola, and to make sure to check if this is region locked.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 – $12/£7.90/€11.03
“Packed with fast-paced, turn-based RPG action, fourth-wall-breaking, trope-demolishing dialogue, and more item, weapon, and costume customization than you can shake a Lvl. 1 Stick at, Gamindustri is a world set on turning the concept of the JRPG on its head!” Honestly, I’m slightly bewildered by this game for more than one reasons. But, why not? I’ll bite. Pick up this delicious piece of oddness for a reduced rate today.

1. theodacourt says:

It’s worth mentioning that the Sniper Ghost Warrior trilogy doesn’t have S:GW 3 in it. It has Sniper: Art of Victory instead; the game they made before the ghost warrior trilogy which is apparently awful.

I’ve played S:GW 1 & 2 and enjoyed them enough. They’re not good games though. It’s just if you like sniping then some of the sniping sections are satisfying but there are plenty of frustrating sections too.

• Saarlaender39 says:

theodacourt : “It’s worth mentioning that the Sniper Ghost Warrior trilogy doesn’t have S:GW 3 in it.”

Not so surprising, is it?
      The third Ghost Warrior is supposed to get released next year – so how could it be included in this bundle?

;)

• hemmer says:

Buying games that don’t even exist? I have never before seen the like….oh wait.

I get the point though, pre-orders not ordinarly used in bundles, especially not for games that far off.

• theodacourt says:

You’re right, my bad. I just saw that it said trilogy and I got it confused with sniper elite 3.

2. melancholicthug says:

There’s Ultimate General: Gettysburg at 50% on Steam until may 8th. It got a mention on yesterday’s Strategy Top 50, and it’s suposedly pretty good.

• Gap Gen says:

I haven’t really played it since release, but it is a good game. One complaint might be that it’s a bit light for grognards and can be a bit difficult to read for people who haven’t played this kind of game before (i.e. when units are likely to break, how hard to push them, etc), although this can be part of the landscape for these kinds of things. Also it is kinda short, and although the branching scenario tree is nice I dunno if I particularly want to go back to it after completing the battle from both sides. Also it’s kinda hard to tell what the line of sight is on artillery, which makes it hard to position batteries effectively. That said, it’s possible it’s been added to or improved since launch.

3. wyrm4701 says:

In addition to the Banner Saga (which is great), GOG has a larger sale on which includes Mark of the Ninja (also great), Reus (surprisingly good), and Desktop Dungeons (ditto for great), among others.

Oh, and four bucks for Guacamelee is a steal, especially if the bundle includes Monaco as well. They’re both fantastic.

4. zapatapon says:

The indie legends bundle is so good it makes me feel like it’s 2011 all over again.

5. Jalan says:

I think the soundtrack for the original Binding of Isaac is included when purchasing the collection (the game and the Wrath of the Lamb DLC) – here – though it is possible that simply purchasing the base game will grant access to it, I’m not certain (I happened to have bought both it and the soundtrack when the game first launched, but I noticed my nephew had the soundtrack accessible despite having owned just the base game after the soundtrack was removed for sale from Steam). Alternately, Danny has had it on sale through his Bandcamp for a price lower than the game itself for ages now. Of note, he’s also recently put out the soundtrack to Crypt of the Necrodancer there as well.

6. April March says:

The Trinity Bundle on BundleStars (same place as the Indie Legends Bundle above) is also pretty good, and still lasts for some ten days. More importantly, I bought it but have no use for the Capsized and Dustforce DX keys, so hit me up if you’re interested (preferrably on the RPS forums, where I post as The Work Of Herbert Quain).

7. Orix says:

Indie Royal’s Debut 26 Bundle has a couple of Desura/Greenlight games in I’m personally interested in, namely Treeker, a first person puzzle platformer (cant get enough of these), and Twin Robots.

Also bought this week:
    creepy point n’ click Finding Teddy (Indiegala’s Evoland Bundle) – $1
    cult fave Deadly Premonition & greenlight intrigue Dark Echo (Groupees’ Be Afraid Bundle) – $2.50
    short sci-fi adventure Stranded (Indiegala Friday Special 14) – $1
    and masochistic first-person platformer Deadcore from Gamergate – £2

• Orix says:

Looks like the DeadCore deal from Gamersgate is over :(

Just noticed my mistake as well, wonder if Gamersgate get hassled in mix-ups with Gamergate? Is a bit unfortunate how similar the names are, might be bad for business :P

• Ross Angus says:

I came here to post about Treeker: it looks really interesting. I got the bundle, but haven’t played it yet, beyond seeing if it would work.

8. Woodwork says:

Dungeons 2 is still a special offer for a few more hours at the Brazilian site http://www.nuuvem.com.br for R$50 or 11.60 English pounds. You get a Steam code which works without a problem.

9. Borodin says:

Homeworld Remastered Collection is £12.35 from MMOGA

• Borodin says:

Cancel that. I’d not come across the site before but they have very poor reviews and require you to print and complete a form, scan it and return it because “Unfortunately cases of fraud in payment chargebacks are lately mounting on our platform.” I wonder who it is that is committing that fraud, exactly.

10. Dumdeedum says:

A plushie from Nantucket
    Gave us games in a bucket.
    We looked inside,
    And all a-cried,
    “Actually it’s all digital distribution these days, bucket-based media is on its way out”.

11. therighttoarmbears says:

Have thought about picking up Crypt of the Necrodancer or Binding of Isaac Rebirth or both this weekend while they’re on sale, but don’t have huge scads of free time anymore (our first baby is due in 2 weeks!), anybody got thoughts on the amount of time involved in playing them? It’s funny, the money isn’t the limiting factor any more…By way of reference I adore “rogue-likes” (or whatever you wish to term that general sort of thing), and have been utterly mesmerized by Nuclear Throne for a few months.

• Dilapinated says:

My vote is for Necrodancer. It’s amazing, the default music is great, playing to your own music is even better, and the mechanics probe, prod & expand on the central idea while also scratching all the good roguelike itches. What I am saying is that it is one of the few games that tries to be two genres and succeeds at being an excellent example of both.

• therighttoarmbears says:

Well, that was an awesome, helpful reply! Thanks! I shall pick it up in a little while. So, my other dirty secret is that my music collection is hardly inspiring. Didn’t use to be true, but I am now a relatively lame 30-something who’s stuck in a musical rut. What sorts of things play nicely with this?