Here’s A Nine-Minute Video Of The Witcher 3

Peek through slightly open fingers if you want to avoid spoilers. CD Projekt Red has released from its mighty Polish chambers a nearly nine-minute video of one of the missions in The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt [official site]. It’s basically Geralt riding through the woods and hitting stuff, but it’s couched in story so you’ve been warned.

The mission is called “Precious Cargo,” and by gosh what a reminder of how beautiful this game is going to be. It’s worth pointing out that despite being posted on the official Xbox YouTube channel, the footage is captured from PC gameplay. The game will be locked at 30 FPS on consoles, but runs at 60 FPS on PC.

The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt releases on May 19.

1. mtomto says:

What’s up with all the dislikes on youtube :S

• karnak says:

No tits in the film.

• welverin says:

It’s YouTube?

More seriously, it’s probably about the fact they’ve been using PC footage for promoting the Xbox One version (well, someone has). Also could be founded in the console whinging about frame rates and resolution.

• Orija says:

Initially Microsoft surreptitiously advertised this pc footage as that of the xbone until they got called out on it.

• igalz says:

Stupid “console wars”

2. Steve Catens says:

Bummed I have to pass on this one because of the prohibitive hardware requirements. Enjoyed the last game reasonably well, and even per-ordered it. Oh well. By the time I’ve upgraded my system, GoG will probably be giving the game away again like they did with TW2 not too long ago, and I’ll be ready for Cyberpunk.

serioussgtstu says:

Honestly I’d say if you can run The Witcher 2 then you’ll be fine for the next one. It seems like they’ve done a lot of work on the engine to make it better optimized for open world stuff.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Like Steve Catens, I also think my PC, aka my awesome gaming laptop, won’t be able run it, but I ran The Witcher 2 without a hitch on Medium. Haven’t tried any higher settings, because it looked so good even on Medium. The Min Req for that game was much closer to my computer’s hardware than the Min Req for The Witcher 3, which according to GoG is:

Minimum system requirements – Windows:
        OS: 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
        Processor: Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz or AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
        Memory: RAM 6 GB
        Graphics: Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660 / AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
        Hard Drive: 35 GB of available space
        DirectX: 11

I have a 2.3 GHz dual core processor, not an i5. 4 GB of RAM, not 6 GB. A Radeon HD 6650, not a Radeon HD 7870. So when it comes to being able to play The Witcher 3, I feel as screwed as the ladies that Geralt gets intimate with.

serioussgtstu says:

You’ll be fine, the game runs on Xbox Ones and PS4s, and they only have dual core mobile processors. Maybe just try out a demo *cough* of the game first before you buy it. I bet it’ll run as well as the second game.

• Horg says:

It’s a bit speculative to suggest that the minimum spec PC build will be comparable to the console build, it will almost certainly be down scaled in some way. Anyway, Darth Gangrels CPU and GPU are both 3 generations out of date, and were mid range when they were current. Not having 6 GB of RAM s going to hurt for TW3 considering it’s open world. I would expect those components to struggle hard if the minimum specs are accurate, TW3 is built to run on last gens mid rage hardware as a minimum.

serioussgtstu says:

PC settings can be just as easily reduced to fit the specs of a mid range laptop. The minimum requirements given by CDPR are likely aimed at people who expect to get 60fps at 1080p consistently. I wouldn’t be surprised if Darth’s monitor was closer to 720p, and locking the frame rate at 30 would be perfectly playable.

You have a point about the RAM, there is a discrepancy there, but worst comes to worst that just means large crowds will cock up the frame rate occasionally. It’s not going to ruin the game.

• Unclepauly says:

ps4 and xbone have 8 core procs. Very slow single thread perf but they are in fact 8 core.

• Asurmen says:

While there’s no standard on minimum, no they’re not usually aimed at people wanting 60fps at 1080p. They’re more ‘will your computer even launch the damn thing and produce something not quite a slide show at absolute lowest settings’.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I was hoping someone would reply to this, but this was beyond my expectations. I would really like to play The Witcher 3 as soon as possible and even though I never preorder stuff I’m tempted by GoG’s offer. I have enough games in my backlog to last me a few years and don’t really need a new PC other than for games, so I was thinking of waiting a few years, like I did with The Witcher 2 (only bought it after it had a free weekend on Steam).

I also think that Min Req is more like “you’ll not enjoy the game unless you’re close to them” and I’m not close to them, so I think I’ll wait and hope that the awesome preorder stuff from GoG will still be there post-release.

3. Synesthesia says:

hmm. Anyone else worried about the audio work? His voice sounded terribly disenbodied, completely out of sync with the body acting.

• Synesthesia says:

*disembodied, damn the lack of an edit button.

• dangermouse76 says:

I’m more worried about the standard of the voice acting. It manages to be flat and melodramatic all at the same time.

• Orionmeister says:

Then again the voice acting / voice audio in general in the Witcher 2 was a little… off at times. Hoping that it won’t be as weird here.

Swordfishtrombone says:

Solution: play with the Polish voiceovers. I can’t stand the drawl of American ‘Geruld’ (i.e. not ‘Gehr-ahlt’ as in Polish). I will regret missing out on Charles Dance this time round, though.

4. Zallgrin says:

The peasant in this video really reminds me of the peasants in Shrek. I just can’t unsee this now.

5. Emeraude says:

I wish I could be enthused about that game, but the more I see about it, the less I am.

I don’t think I could even articulate the why of it right now.

• Lokik says:

Perhaps you hate fun?

So happy that the tattoo will be in the game if you didn’t remove it in TW2.

6. Orionmeister says:

Literally just finished my play through of the the Witcher 2 for the first time tonight. The hype is real for the next installment! I actually found myself (And I can’t believe I’m saying this) wishing the game had closer to 5 acts like the Witcher 1, since I thought it really started to pick up towards the end. I suppose there’s a great deal to be had with the alternate choices that can be made on a second play through though? I’m also curious how the open world aspect is going to pan out. The idea of just being able to explore is really exciting, but it was kind of nice at times to have gated areas pertaining to the story, which gave a good sense of progression in my opinion.

• Slazer says:

The decision whom to follow at the end of the Flotsam chapter completely changes the location you spend the next 8 hours in, so you get much of the missing information there on the 2nd playthrough

7. fr3udes says:

It is unplayable with this voice. As soon as he talks, the IQ level drops dramatically.

• RogerioFM says:

And the Gods know you can’t afford to lose any more of that.

8. The_invalid says:

I picked up The Witcher 1 a while back. Played it for a few hours before giving up over the incredibly tedious combat, cringe-inducingly juvenile depictions of women, hackneyed plot and egregiously corny dialogue.

I then picked up The Witcher 2. I played it for a few hours before giving up over the incredibly unbalanced combat, cringe-inducingly juvenile depictions of women, hackneyed plot, egregiously corny dialogue, and horribly unoptimised engine.

But good grief does this ever look pretty. If I get burned a third time, it’s nobody’s fault but my own!

• Talbot says:

I’m surprised you haven’t had a flurry of venomous replies or been threatened with crucifixion.

I failed to to engage with The Witcher 1 & 2; they tried too hard to be dark and the sexual themes were juvenile and distracted from the ‘experience’. The English (or should I say American) voice acting of Geralt was also about as inspiring as a mouldy potato. This does not seem to have been altered for the third installation but the new openness is appealing.

• Lokik says:

Sex and prostitution still exist in the game and the plot continues straight from the TW2’s ending(s) so I think you might not enjoy this game any more than the first two.

• DrManhatten says:

Well I guess not everyone enjoys a Fantasy world which is more realistic and modeled towards the real world but rather have a boring idealistic good vs evil according to USofA world view morally and ethnical clean world. Luckily for the rest of us European developer tend not to follow this ideal.

• Lokik says:

Agreed.

• The_invalid says:

I’m absolutely all for more nuanced depictions of morality in my fiction. That’s great. However, the current trend in ‘dark’ fantasy for depicting everybody as either grizzled warrior sociopaths, conniving sneaky sociopaths, or sexy female sociopaths, feels to me even more reductive and juvenile than the typical ‘good vs evil’ stereotype.

It’s the laziest, easiest way to ground and justify the kind of dubious moral choices presented in these kinds of power fantasies. You want contextless sex and violence? No problem, because almost every protagonist was a total douchebag to begin with. Everybody wins! It’s ‘realism’ in the sense that colouring everything grey and brown is ‘realism’ in visuals. I.e. a load of bollocks.

• Halfgild Wynac says:

Which is probably what makes Geralt’s shoes so easy to get into, because he is not a sociopath. Just a middle-aged man who lost his job and has his beloved ones in danger—after all, witchers might stay neutral very well, but if you make any friends, it is quite unlikely they live in a remote castle away from the society. A pretty easy situation to empathise with. Being pulled into conflicts he never imagines he would get into is a major part of his background in the recent past.

And there is also that sadness of fantasy world visibly decaying and falling apart to give way to our modern world.

9. DrManhatten says:

Shit with KSP 1.0 and this every free minute will be spend. And I still got Wasteland 2 to finish. Goodbye PoE you’ll go on the backburner for sure (you didn’t convince me yet anyway).

10. dididan says:

I have a AMD R 270x 4GB and a fx-4350, will I be able to run witcher 3?

• Horg says:

Get some more RAM and you will be fine. Your CPU and GPU are comfortably above minimum, but you really will need a lot of RAM for this game.

11. dididan says:

I have a AMD R 270x 4GB and a fx-4350, will I be able to run witcher 3

12. vahnn says:

That’s surely some soddy voice acting on Geralt’s part. And the stiffness of the animations and lameness of the faces…

I’ve seriously never been one to care about such things, but imagining 200 hours of this monotone, boring speech? Even if it’s just 15 hours of main plot, I don’t know if I can handle it.

13. chills says:

I *really* want to pre-order this, but my lowly 6870 will outright poop itself at mention of this I think :( And being a poor student I have other things to worry about, damn you education!

14. Amlau says:

Note to every disbanded soldier in disguise : If you ever decide on attacking a cart carrying medical cargo, please think before acting !
    First and foremost, you have to make it like some monsters attacked the cart ! How do you do that, you ask ? Well that’s simple, just throw a bunch of arrows to the cart, kill the horse AND the cart driver with your bow. That’s very important.
    Be sure to leave the cart driver’s corpse in the open, approximatively three meters away from the cart, to prevent any inquirer from realizing it might not have been a monster attack.
    Then you can just run away, don’t forget to NOT take the box. I know, it’s counter-intuitive, but isn’t it more convenient if somebody pick it for you ? Right. Stay in the surroundings, though, so you can ask for somebody to pick it when they pass by.
    You can pretend you’re a peasant ! Just be sure to carry your huge bow on your back, just like any regular peasant would.
    If you are ever unmasked, don’t hesitate in using your ninja ruses and stealth skills. Things like “Behind you !” or just running to your horse in the middle of a conversation always work.

—–

Seriously, that is how low our standards are, realism and story-wise ? Remember kids, realism is not just fancy graphics.