Algebraic! Adventure Time Becomes A 3D Adventure Game

What’s the point of flowery, open-ended introductions designed to gently push you in the direction of news when you have a press release that reads one of the best shows to grace Cartoon Network’s silvery screen is inspiring a new point-and-click adventure game?

Finally, something that marries my two loves: cartoon dogs and comedy. Adventure Time: Finn and Jake Investigations takes Finn and Jake and sees them – or more appropriately, You – investigate mysterious disappearances in the Land of Ooo. Publisher Little Orbit announced the game this week, alongside a tentative release window of October.

Little Orbit CEO Matt Scott explained, “This new game is a complete departure from previous Adventure Time games. We have created an intriguing classic adventure game set in a richly-detailed 3D Land of Ooo where players can check out Land of Ooo locales, talk to characters, sharpen their creative puzzle-solving skills, defeat bad guys and just have fun.”

Details beyond that are pretty thin but you can smack yer face-lookers on very early footage of the game below:

1. Bobsy says:

For a show that has such a distinctive hand-drawn style, throwing it in 3D makes it look stiff, wooden and dull. I presume that it’s a moneysaver to do it in 3D, but it just doesn’t suit. There’s a great Adventure Time game to be made out there, but it needs to be 2D, and animated like the show. Something along the lines of the South Park RPG would work, probably.

• LogicalDash says:

I feel like 3D COULD work, but they really need to Jet Grind Radio it up.

yhancik says:

The David OReilly episode was in 3D link to downvids.net

• AlexandreFiset says:

Well I think they could have done a better job at porting the Adventure Time universe to 3D.

My team once pitched an idea to Cartoon Network and I believe that a cell-shaded approach would look way better than this. Here’s the “graphics prototype” we made of a 3D cell-shaded Finn: link to parabole.ca

While it lacks a bit of polish such as anti-aliasing and an higher resolution model, I think it’s already visually more appealing than what has been produced there.

• Boozebeard says:

Yeah that looks way better.

• Razumen says:

That looks great. Also, Guilty Gear Xrd did a great job of using 3D models but retaining the hand-drawn 2D look.

2. Frank says:

Hey, that’s cool and all, but how ’bout not including an unrelated link, eh?

3. Fomorian1988 says:

Somehow I’m not buying Finn or Jake as a effective PIs. Princess Bubblegum or Root Beer Guy, yes.

(Man, this show gets you to type the oddest sentences. Also, Princess Bubblegum and Marceline for True Detective season 3).

• gunny1993 says:

Root beer guy is dead friend, although now we can have a “That game about the ghost detective that I cant remember the name of” Adventure Time

4. Anthile says:

It looks a bit like one of those late 90s adventure games you can scare John Walker with.

5. JohnnyPanzer says:

What time is it?!

6. April March says:

I think Adventure Time are cursed to only produce videogames that are middling at best.

• pepperfez says:

Which is especially sad for something so heavily influenced by video games.

• Viroso says:

The best adventure time game in the universe would be just controlling finn and jake co-op, let loose in Oo, as you just go around finding adventures in an elder scrolls style game. Please happen game.

7. ballabbey327 says:

I have found a great new way to use my computer to earn an additional income. Please take a moment to check it out. Working from home has never been easier!!! Inbox/PM me now! Check below for our special promotion!
    Sign Up ! œ►œ►œ► http://www.Jobs-Fashion.Com

8. bill says:

I have a question:
    What is the target audience for Adventure Time?
    Is it aimed at kids, or teenagers or adults, or is it one of those things that can be enjoyed by kids and adults on different levels?
    My daughter managed to catch about 5 minutes of a show by accident and then wanted to watch more, but (based on the fact that people here and elsewhere on the internet often mention it) I’d assumed it wasn’t really for kids.

Harlander says:

I’m almost completely sure it’s primarily intended for kids. I think it’s coming out of a burgeoning realisation that kids can deal with a whole lot more surreal stuff than you might expect. It appeals to various folk of a wide range of ages, though.

• Janichsan says:

If I recall correctly, Pendleton Ward said that it’s targeted at early teens, i.e. the same age group Finn is in. But it certainly also can be enjoyed by adults: there are enough references to older stuff (e.g. some D&D allusions) that most teens simply won’t get. For younger kids, the show is occasionally just too dark.

• GeneJacket says:

I’m sure Cartoon Network would tell you it’s aimed primarily at kids, but it’s one of the few animated shows on television that has multiple layers and can appeal to virtually everyone. It’s well written and bright and fun and genuinely hysterical with a wonderful world and characters, but if you watch it for any extended period of time you start to see that it has a surprisingly deep, slightly more mature that one would expect mythology. Kids can watch it and all of that stuff will go right over their heads, but there’s so much going on in the background that adults can get sucked into it just as much.

9. djamesjennifer says:

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Thursday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this – 4 weeks past. I began this 8-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $77 per hour. I work through this link, go.to tech tab for work detail………..
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://W­­­­W­­­­W­­­­.j­­­­o­­­­b­­­­s­­­­a­­­­u­­­­d­­­­i­­­­t­­­­­­­­­­­.­­­­C­­­­O­­­­M

10. GeneJacket says:

Man, Little Orbit is just the friggin’ worst, all they do is pump out terrible licensed shovelware. How is it that Adventure Time is CN’s biggest hit possibly ever, yet we still haven’t gotten the the Zelda/Final Fantasy/Shining Force-style RPG the show is BEGGING for, much less a single decent game that actually does the show any justice whatsoever.