Hiveswap Goes Full Cronenberg For Its First Trailer

Take an MS Paint concoction and some sort of Cronenbergian fever dream and you get Hiveswap [official site], an episodic adventure game from the incredibly indie one-man team at Pumpkin Studios.

Hiveswap’s based on the web comic Homestuck, which was itself inspired by old adventure games. We’ve come full circle, thanks to a hugely successful Kickstarter which landed almost $2 million more than it asked for.

The developer released the game’s first trailer this week, which sets the scene for a young girl to become mysteriously teleported from her attic into an alien world of weird troll creatures and sort of bug things or bats or something. Think Labyrinth meets Naked Lunch.

You can check out the trailer below. The first episode of Hiveswap launches later this year.

1. Sahbak says:

Oh god, not more Homestuck bullshit.
    I mean, I tried to like it, but the pacing was so god awful and the story so messy (Look! I have paradoxes and a zillion characters! This makes it a good story doesn’t it?!)
    Pass.

• ribby says:

I’ll tell you what’s a good webcomic

Romantically Apocalyptic, that’s a damn good webcomic

• Lars Westergren says:

Wow, thanks for that. Allow me to offer some Dresden Kodak, Vattu, Night Physics, Judecca and “Stand Still.Stay Silent” in return.

• Elliot Lannigan says:

As a fan and someone who is still in the middle of reading it due to holding the experience of reading through it so precious that I don’t want to burn it all up right away: I will readily admit that there are many flaws, and I believe the author would as well. Nevertheless it fills a niche that appeals on a very deep level to certain types of people, in a way that I’m not even sure I can put into words, and that makes it utterly invaluable to me/us. The crazy story and its deeply Whovian paradoxes isn’t really the point, although it is fun. Rather the core characters, their hopes, dreams and emotional transparency as well as their relationships with each other, are the point, and why I continue to subject myself to what in any other context would be an appalling art style that I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole. Characters like that are terribly underrepresented in all forms of geek entertainment. Just take Jade…in any similar TV show a character like that would exist only for comedic value, but here she is treated with the respect and affection she deserves, and that is a not-so-micro-cosm of why Homestuck despite its many glaring flaws finds so much love among its niche audience.

• Kitsunin says:

I think that in general, Homestuck is just so unique in so many ways that if you have interest in the things which make it unique, it is incredibly easy to miss every single flaw it contains. Whether it be the story which reaches much further than just about any other which exists, or the astoundingly well-realized cast of characters.

• protowizard says:

The paradoxes and complexity is part of the joke. It’s a parody of over-complicated point and click adventure games.

Phasma Felis says:

God save us all from people who like things you don’t like.

2. newc0253 says:

“Cronenbergian fever dream” is tautology.

3. Zallgrin says:

What do you mean by one-man team? The comic is made by a single person, but the developer of Hiveswap has quite a few people on its team.

Personally, I feel like sighing every time I hear news about Hiveswap. It feels like the dev team is cheerily marching into the jaws of a dragon without having pre-buffed or gotten good equipment. Basically, they seem to be underestimating the challenges of game dev and that makes me wary. The small flash games that Homestuck has made in the past just won’t compare to a real adventure game =/

I wish them the best and hope that I’m wrong about their unfailing optimism.

• Sarfrin says:

Good grief! That gif on their tumblr is practically seizure-inducing.

• Jackablade says:

With a Kickstarter of $2.4 million, I imagine they were able to hire a few ringers to bolster their ranks.

Unusual to see a studio made up of more women than men.

4. April March says:

To be frank, I forgot everything about Homestuck after the gigantic pause Andrew took while working on this game, so while I still think it’s an amazing narrative work, my interest has dwindled. I’m still reading it but it’s mostly out of curiosity than out of the desire to read a work I enjoy.

5. The_Ramen_Within says:

I like Homestuck and I’ll reserve judgement about Hiveswap until I play it. I can’t say that I care at all if you’re bitter about the wait of Homestuck due to work commencing Hiveswap or if you hate Homestuck because it’s popular, a storyline that hasn’t even finished yet.

6. Sarah_imPalin says:

For anyone who wants to get into Homestuck but is feeling intimidated, or simply couldn’t get through the admittedly tedious first act, I highly recommend CoLab HQ’s Let’s Read series. It’s a much gentler way to ease yourself in. It’s worth it for Gamzee’s brilliant voice actor alone.

7. shark jacobs says:

I think the Attack the Block style glowing mouths was a better design decision here than it was in Attack the Block.

8. DXN says:

Homestuck is bleedin’ brilliant. I’m not sure this trailer/what else I’ve seen really 100% captures the feel of the comic, but… I have faith in the Huss.