Cod Blops 3 Campaign: Co-op, Corridors, & Cyberbees

3, 2, 1, let's jam.

The Icarus ‘jump from rooftops and land like it’s no big deal’ augmentation from Deus Ex: Human Revolution may be ousted as my favourite cyberupgrade. Activision gave a peek at Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 [official site] over the weekend, and you guys: you can have a cyberarm containing a cyberhive of cyberbees that swarm enemies. I shall name my arm The Buzzness.

Along with dropping a new trailer with snippets of gameplay, Activision started talking about its campaign. With customisable characters (including ladies!) and perks, it’ll support co-op and gosh oh golly won’t always be in such restrictive corridors. So they say, anyway.

Oh, it’s all very po-faced, but doesn’t that look kinda cool? I’m pretty into that. In short, something bad is happening in the future and you’re a cool cybersoldier who’s out to stop it with cool cyberguns – including, of course, morphing arm guns.

Sites like PC Gamer, Eurogamer, and Shacknews (and more, but three will mostly cover you) got to play at a recent event. To briefly sum up: it’s got wall-running, dodging, and other movement tricks; co-op players get to customise the looks and abilities of their cybersoldier; one ability lets you hack and hijack drones, which sounds ace; and the campaign is still linear but not so corridor-y given that it has room four four players. Beyond that, yeah, it’s Call of Duty. Go have a read if you fancy more. (I’m out of touch with the multiplayer side of CoD so I defer to their more-expert opinions)

Cod Blops 3 is due on the 6th of November.

1. Synesthesia says:

well *somebody* in that creative team needs to be punched seven times, rhythmically, in quick succession. My ears.

2. Orija says:

In the CoD Universe things going apoplectic on such a regular basis so as to send humanity into a collective existential crises about its place in the world. I mean, with things going bad on such a regular basis, they should take a hint.

3. SanguineAngel says:

Call of Duty: Tau edition?

4. Moraven says:

Min Specs:
    Operating System: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit / Windows 8.1 64-Bit
    Processor: Intel® CoreTM i3-530 @ 2.93 GHz / AMD PhenomTM II X4 810 @ 2.60 GHz
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 470 @ 1GB / ATI® RadeonTM HD 6970 @ 1GB
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Sound Card: DirectX Compatible

So this is Call of Fall:Destiny?

Lets mix new things from the other big FPS in the past 2 years and see if it works all together.

5. Solidstate89 says:

How dare you bring up Cowboy Bebop when talking about CoD:BLOPS.

6. SuicideKing says:

Reads like CoD: Advanced Warface + bits of Titanfall thrown in.

It’s like, can’t we have different games doing different periods of Shooty War in parallel? Can’t Main CoD or BF reset to WWI-Cold War, while off-shoots handle “modern” warfare or Star Wars? Why do they all have to do the same things together?

• vlonk says:

Maybe because they are all trapped in the nash equilibrium:

• SuicideKing says:

Didn’t watch the video (taking a break from work, don’t want to stretch it) but going by the title, real world competitors usually gain from common supply chain services and customers all coming to the same place. Sort of doesn’t apply to video games.

I mean, if they set up studios together – yeah, I could see how this applies – otherwise, not sure.

• vlonk says:

The nash equilibrium is a problem of the game theory, so yes, it is an abstract concept and applies to all walks of life. The cartshop owners is just a good example to show the underlying mechanic of two competitors influencing each other.
          And yes, it applies heavily to the gaming industry because so many of the AAA FPS studios right now are copying mechanics and settings from each other while iterating on their formula in tiny amounts instead of innovating or doing their unique own thing. Nobody dares set a different theme like WW1, nobody dares try a mind bending portal-like shooter. We have nice water physics now but where are the undersea dome shooters with dynamic flooding mechanics. Where is the shooter with vacuum suction and low grav environments and dynamic points of entry by the way of boarding parties?
          The financial risk of a failure is just to prohibitive, they say. Lets stay with the tried and true formula and peak over the fence what the neighbour is doing…

7. TomxJ says:

I have to say I really enjoy CoD trailers, i mean just look how silly and fun that looks!

Shame thats really (probably) NOT how it actually is in-game.

8. int says:

I don’t like CoD. I do however like the fact that me not liking CoD makes me intelligent and superior to people who do.

Who’s the leader of the club
    That’s made for you and me
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E
    Hey! there, Hi! there, Ho! there
    You’re as welcome as can be
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

Mickey Mouse!

Mickey Mouse!

Forever let us hold our banner
    High! High! High! High!

Come along and sing a song
    And join the jamboree!
    M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E

9. ribby says:

Everyone will respect me much more and realize what a smart and sophisticated gamer I am if I automatically make fun of anything to do with CoD.

10. ribby says:

Ooh look! It’s got that super-satisfying HALO punch!

11. MrUnimport says:

I was burned pretty badly by COD:AW, which was similarly pretty and cyber- and so on and so forth but retained all the absurd COD tropes to the point where it was no fun at all.

This doesn’t seem any different, except from looking slightly uglier.

12. BreadBitten says:

I’m just glad that we’ll be getting to say “CODBlops” again. :)

13. Deadly Sinner says:

Hopefully all of the robotic bits allow them to raise the TTK a bit.

• that_guy_strife says:

To RAISE TTK ?

Oh God no. That’s something I hate about shooters. Putting a round in someone’s chest, watch them bumble around, get up, act like nothing. Then again, and again, and again. It’s fine for games like TF2, not for ”serious” ones.

That’s why I can only play CoD on Hardcore, where sniper rifles down people with one shot center mass, and most other guns only take two or three.

14. Bishop149 says:

AT what point does “Less corridor-y Future CoD” just become Crysis . . . . . when the aliens rock up I’d guess.