Wipeout In All But Name: Formula Fusion Kickstarter

Update: corrected an inaccuracy about R8 Games’ involvement with Wipeout.

It’s a sign of quite how much Kickstarter fatigue has set in that even folks who worked on a Wipeout game and now want to make a new own-brand Wipeout are needing to hedge their bets carefully. Formula Fusion [official site] developers R8 Games have launched their Kickstarter, and the initial goal is a very low £35,000.

This figure, they say, “represents a base line plan to start gathering momentum.” But unless it reaches stretch goals at £150,000 and above, they “would need to reassess how we are going approach those targets and reschedule accordingly”. They’ll still finish it, in short, but it’ll debut in minimal form and may take longer.

The pitch is simple: Formula Fusion is a new anti-gravity futureracing game, made by a studio including folks who worked on Wipeout 3, with pretty bits designed by Wipeout prettybit designers The Designers Republic, and music from folks including Wipeout musicman CoLD SToRAGE. It wants to be a new Wipeout, and a new Wipeout is an exciting prospect.

If they do reach that £150,000 stretch goal, they’ll plan to release it for Windows in March 2016. If they only get the actual Kickstarter goal of £35,000, they’ll plan to release a polished but content-light version with eight tracks onto Steam Early Access and add bits as that earns more money. Higher stretch goals include Mac and Linux versions.

It looks like they’ll definitely hit the £35k minimum, but I imagine a fair few folks are waiting to see if it’ll reach £150k before chipping in. The £35k goal clearly isn’t what they want to make, but I suppose they don’t have confidence that they could definitely hit £150,000. Hmm. As ever with crowdfunding, be fully aware that you’re putting up money to fund someone’s plans, not paying for a finished product.

1. JayG says:

To be fair it does tend to be a lot harder for Console type games on Kickstarter then PC. Still it would be great to have a new Wipeout type game. Still one of my favourite vita games.

• GeneJacket says:

It’s not a console game, it’s being developed specifically for PC, but they’ll do PS4/XB1 ports if they hit a certain amount.

• Amoveo says:

I think he means console type as in not explicitly a classic PC genre. The whole Kickstarter trend was started by double fine promising the return of adventure games followed by a parade of roguelikes, RTSes and cRPGs. These are all classic PC exclusive genres and I think it’s well established that the money in Kickstarter is in PC gamer nostalgia for genres that consoles knocked out of the public eye (and publishers checkbook.)

• JayG says:

Yeah, I meant that basically console type pitches don’t do as well. Like Shadow of the Eternals, think they tried twice. Shadowrun did well recently, as did Underworld, and they had an awful campaign. I don’t think Kickstarter Fatigue is that big a thing, depends on the pitch.

• balinor says:

To be fair I think Shadow of the eternals failed because of having a scam artist and thief involved more than it being a console style game.

2. FriendlyFire says:

This is one of the few “instant backing” pitches I have. I was extremely sad that Studio Liverpool had been axed by Sony, so to see this come up is putting a giant smile on my face. That they also seem to have dropped their earlier design of F1 cars but hovering and instead went for a Wipeout style is even better.

I really hope they smash their funding targets, we need more Wipeout.

3. vorador says:

Good to see them making a comeback.

This is one of the cases where i’m willing to bet on a kickstarter.

4. GeneJacket says:

I screwed up and missed the early packages they were selling on their site before the kickstarter went live and, as much as I’d love to and had been planning to back it, I just can’t afford to drop the cash right now. I think they kind of screwed themselves by making the lowest possible tier to actually get a copy of the game $60 (I believe the actual launch price will be $35), with no other additional perks. Wipeout is my favorite Playstation series of all time and this is an instant buy the second it’s released, but it really does kill me a bit that I won’t be able to pitch in.

• FriendlyFire says:

Huh? The lowest tier to get the game on KS is 20 pounds, which is roughly $30.

• GeneJacket says:

You’re right, I must have totally missed that tier when looking them all over, that’s my mistake.

5. omf says:

Disappointment with the way many promising KS game campaigns have turned out has definitely been keeping me from parting with any more money lately, but I love Wipeout so much that I think I’m going to throw caution to the wind on this one.

6. El_MUERkO says:

BACKED!!!

I remember playing Wipeout on a Playstation pod in my favourite nightclub many moons ago, have had a love/hate relationship with it ever since :)

7. Banks says:

The Designers Republic and Cold Storage are in. Holy Shit!

BACKED!!!

• Napalm Sushi says:

I didn’t even know that tDR had been restarted. Excellent.

• yhancik says:

They’re just a smaller tDR now with mostly (I think) Ian Anderson. But as far as I know, without guys like Michael C. Place aka Build or Matt Pyke.

• GeneJacket says:

tDR, Cold Storage AND the entire Wipeout 3 track design team, too. It’s almost too good to be true.

8. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The kickstarter pledge rewards are quite poorly worded. I tend to look for digital-only pledge rewards and I find it annoying to look through the entire list to find those which include the game and digital rewards only. Aside from that, compared to other kickstarter pledges £20 for the game seems a bit high. That doesn’t mean it’s unreasonable, of course.

Oh well, I suppose I don’t need to pledge anyway. This is a game which I’l like to play, but I don’t need it to come out as much as with games I did pledge towards. But I do wonder if people can be turned off from pledging (or from pledging higher than they initially were prepared to) by clumsy/awkward pledge wording.

• tnzk says:

Yes, clumsy wording can turn off sales. Marketing and advertising spend a lot of money on copy trying not to turn people off.

9. archvillain says:

No-one has mentioned the biggest coolest thing about this? This will be a new wipeout, on PC, right as Oculus Rift and Vive come of age.
    Wipeout gameplay with these headsets will be astounding. (And without the motion sickness issues of other games, because your avatar is sitting in a cockpit, matching your body sitting in a seat.)

• vorador says:

Well, they have to reach the VR tier for it to happen, but i’m hopeful. Yet another reason to get an VR headset.

I will be stockpiling barf bags for the inevitable sensory overload on Phantom class and above.

• dreadofmondays says:

There’s been wipeout on PC for a few years now ;) The project http://www.slipstreamgx.com was founded in 2011 by members of the official wipeout forum and is still going strong. You can download and play it right now, it’s a thing!

10. melnificent says:

Excited, but also disappointed… They say that they are going to launch early access if they don’t get £150k, to fund the game. Yet the Early Access guidelines say “Don’t launch in Early Access if you can’t afford to develop with very few or no sales.”.
    Seems a shame that to make it they are lowballing to get money and then ignoring the rules to complete it.

11. Alt1523 says:

Their stretch-goals have me worried. I find it hard to believe that you can develop a game like this and port it to a slew of platforms (as they’re promising) for a measly £400k. But I have to admit that the prospect of a new PC Wipeout is very enticing, and the models and art look great so far.

12. fr3udes says:

The DesignERS Republic, for god’s sake !

link to google.com..69i57j0l5.199j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#newwindow=1&q=The+Designers+Republic

13. jrodman says:

This kickstarter is in a weird place. I loved wipEout XL despite being a bit crap at it. I could never win on the Earthquake track. However I’d love to see a successor created.

On the flipside, I’d never play it.

14. Ogun says:

tDR = Shut up and take my money.