Grand Theft Auto V Rains Whales As Modding Ramps Up

I have a little rule about finishing games in their original form before I lark about with mods or cheats, but seeing whales rain from the sky in Grand Theft Auto V [official site] does make me want to start dicking about pronto. As the development of unofficial mod support comes at a staggering pace, we now have a cheaty trainer you could use to run around as an invulnerable, unarrestable, and heavily-armed lout or, if you’re a peaceful sort, become a humpback whale flopping about on land. Yeah, I am tempted to break my rule to play silly beggars.

This is only the start of modding GTA V, of course. For now, come watch this daft whale video.

Alexander Blade released the first version of his Script Hook V tool last week, which allows folks to make custom plugins using GTA V’s native scripting functions. It’s a relatively tidy way to hook into the code and add bits, in short. To demonstrate this, Blade includes the Native Trainer. Like other cheat trainers, it’s a collection of shortcuts to your dreams. Don’t want to find a particular car? Spawn one. Don’t have enough cash? Give yourself some. Sick of the cops coming after you? Turn it off. It’s freedom to be a lout.

Also you can change yourself into a monkey or a chicken or a cat or a deer or… well, look at this whale of a video YouTube user ‘Merfish’ made with the Native Trainer:

Rockstar’s intricately-craft realistic city is the perfect setting for absurd shenanigans. That citizens react with their scripted outrage and terror to a whale the same way they would a car crash is delightful.

Where will GTA V modding go from here? Exciting and wonderful places, I’m sure. The folks behind OpenIV folks have been kicking GTA V’s tires too as they figure out how to add and replace assets. I’ve seen enough folks clamouring for an Iron Man mod (a popular method of larking about in GTA IV) that I’m sure one will be along soon, if it isn’t already in places I haven’t yet seen.

1. MrWolf says:

But how much will it cost to play as a whale?

• Smashbox says:

I have seen this comment on literally every reddit post about a mod of any type for any game in the past week.

• SaintAn says:

Coming soon to the Steam Sweatshop for only $29.99!

Earl-Grey says:

Yes but what thoughts passed through the whales’ head before the ground did just that?

3. SanguineAngel says:

Oh! What’s the thing rushing towards me? It’s so big and flat and round, it needs a big wiiide sounding name like owwwwow-ound-round-ground. Ground! That’s it! I wonder if it’ll be friends with me?

• CCninja86 says:

Where is this from? Link please? I want to watch this!

• 7vincent7black7 says:

This is from both the movie, and major book series, Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

• Awesomeclaw says:

Also (and originally) an excellent radio series.

• SanguineAngel says:

the correct format for galactic guide digestion :) Also pretty please with how close I got on the quote!

4. Horg says:

I like to imagine this is how events play out in Civ 5 when the citizens demand whales.

• MrFinnishDude says:

“Warsaw demands whales”
      Well here you go you peasants.

Neurotic says:

Makes me feel melancholy, idly dreaming about Volition producing a Stillwater or a Steelport or some new place in such detail. Perhaps if I could custom build my avatar in GTA V like I can in the SR games, or at least import it. Hmm.

6. Eiv says:

My worry is that Rockstar will ban people who use these trainers from GTA online. Quite enjoying the heists.

Al__S says:

is there a bowl of petunias that can be spawned alongside the whale?

8. SlimShanks says:

Looks like a whale of a time. Whoever made that mod deserves many cetaceans… ok my puns are weak I am baleen out.

• Horg says:

You orca know better than to whale pun without a clear porpoise in mind.

Skabooga says:

Get out and take your puns with you. You’re krilling the mood.

9. Siresly says:

I made a video with Jesus. link to youtube.com

I’m glad things didn’t turn out as dire as I was dreading in regards to modding. Although I suppose Rockstar hasn’t responded to any of this yet. I’m sure they’ll break everything with the next patch. If they start banning accounts for modding around in single player, then this is probably the last Rockstar game I buy.

This trainer is basically the first proper one and it’s already pretty good in terms of functionality. The loading and restrictions you’re forced to suffer in Director Mode will seem pointlessly daft as you swap character in a second, instantly teleport across the map, pause time, get all weapons, change weather, spawn vehicles etc.

I hope eventually people will start looking at the Editor. Primarily the embiggening of the camera bubble, which is much too small for wider and/or more lingering shots when the player’s traveling at speed. Also annoying when for instance the camera is set to move with a car you’re chasing, if/when the camera gets outside the player radius, the game forces a cut to the standard game camera. The radius should be at least maybe three times larger. I suppose there’s a reason why it’s not, hopefully we’ll find out.

• CCninja86 says:

I believe Rockstar have already said they don’t mind if people just want to mod singleplayer, but the thing they’re worried about is that due to single player and online being so interconnected, if you mod singleplayer, the mods are active when you play online as well.

• Shiloh says:

Great aerobatic skills from the Son of God, there. It’s almost miraculous the way the bearded Nazarene pulls that mid-air loop-the-loop, is there no end to this 2,000 year old lad’s talents?

I for one can’t wait for more death-defying stunts from everyone’s favourite Messiah!

10. utzel says:

As someone who is still on the fence about buying the game now or later:
    Is there a difference between the Rockstar-only and the Steam version of the game when it comes to modding?

11. SuicideKing says:

Ooh yes, I noticed that too! Quite lovely.

12. Chorltonwheelie says:

Is there a mod to use and map a steering wheel?

13. Thurgret says:

I’ve only heard ‘trainer’ used as a term in this context this year. It’s a new thing to me. I assume it just means ‘sophisticated cheat’?

Skabooga says:

Until this day, I didn’t see a reason for GTA V to exist. Now, I’m so glad that it does.

15. yhancik says:

It’s lacking some whale explosion.

16. Nereus says:

I have long wanted to put a whale on the moon. Today, we are one step closer to that goal. Remember where you were today gentlemen, for it heralds the coming of an infinitely more amazing feat of strength – whales in space.

phuzz says:

I believe you’ll find that is should be spelt:
      WHALES! IN! SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

17. thelastpointer says:

Yup, that’s a proper PC mod.