Pest Control: Infested Planet Gets New DLC

You may remember Infested Planet [official site] from the numerous times we’ve talked about it: an indie strategy game, amidst the backdrop of pesky aliens and cluster bombs. Sort of like War and Peace in Space. Now the wonderfully named Rocket Bear Games has announced the launch of expansion DLC that will make things even harder for your relentless campaign of death.

Here’s the run-down: The Trickster’s Arsenal DLC gets you new commander powers, new alien enemy types and an Ironman Leaderboard that ranks your prowess in the very challenging Ironman Mode. It’s available now on Steam for $4.99, alongside an update with full patch notes available.

Graham played the original game last year, calling it a blend of strategy genres. “I think there are two reasons I play strategy games,” he wrote. “One is for complex campaigns requiring deep thought and careful planning, whether that be in Unity of Command or Supreme Commander. The other is for the relaxing power trip provided by swirling numbers of units, as in Eufloria or Galcon Fusion. Infested Planet sits somewhere between the two, a mid-point that’s more satisfying in some ways for the greater sense of accomplishment it delivers and less satisfying in others for the frustration of never quite letting you relax.”

1. blainestereo says:

Am I correct in assuming that this one plays kinda sorta like Creeper World but with more tactical choices?

Because Creeper World was neat.

• Luringen says:

That’s pretty accurate, you fight against a flood of aliens, but there is a lot more variety and choices to make thanks to alien mutations and your own support abilities, unit upgrades and defensive constructions.

• Kefren says:

I had great fun with the Creeper World games. I think 1 and 2 were my favourites (and the way 2 switched to side-on made it familiar yet refreshing)..

• Gap Gen says:

I mean, you have a squad moving around rather than placing static towers. They’re both neat little strategy games, though, so I’d recommend checking it out.

• Bugamn says:

You can move the towers in the first creeper world, although they don’t shoot while flying. It really is a very interesting game, and you couldn’t give me a better recommendation to Infested Planet.

2. DavishBliff says:

Infested Planet is great, I’m excited to try this as soon as I get home.

3. HuvaaKoodia says:

Got it cheap on GOG a few days ago (the price seems to have normalized now) and so far it has been thoroughly entertaining. As a developer it’s worth playing just for the sleek user interface alone.

4. Muzman says:

What’s with bears and gaming eh? Rocket Bear; Double Bear; Vlambeer; Horace the endless Bear; Envirobear.