Oh No, There Goes Tokyo: Kaiju A Gogo Released

A few years back, during my short stint working with physical games for public events, I had dreams to build a Godzilla-esque model city for people to walk around, admire, hang out in, and – if they wanted to – stomp to the ground. Controlling a giant kaiju to crush cities and armies and bring the world to heel sorta appeals to me, then.

That’s Kaiju A Gogo [official site], a romp-a-stomper of a strategy game about giant monsters. Sword of the Stars and SotS: The Pit folks Kerberos Productions released it last week.

It’s a simple pitch: you play a kooky scientist who wants to conquer the world and decides that yeah, a giant monster is the best way to go about that. Stomping cities and crushing armies will make regions bow to you, though your rivals will start developing their own kaiju if you take your sweet time. You nab loot to help build up your secret base, and your monster powers up over time too, unlocking new megapowers.

Reader interaction section: pretend pal o’ mine, what is your favourite kaiju power? What would you most like to do? Me, I’m a sucker for Gamera’s horizontal bar routine – he nails that landing.

Kaiju A Gogo is out now on Steam for £8.99/11,69€ thanks to a 10% launch discount.

It’s a shame that Namco Bandai don’t seem to plan a PC release for their upcoming Godzilla ’em up, as I really fancy flashy monsterfights. Oh, and if you fancy seeing an earlier, less interesting crack at a Godzilla game, TieTuesday’s self-revamped Super Godzilla: Special Edition Let’s Play is a lark.

1. Robert The Rebuilder says:

Any kaiju that’s worthy of the name must have the ability to emit a loud shriek. Because you know people will just ignore your ravishing of their city until you speak up.

2. FireStorm1010 says:

Have only played 15 minutes, but so far its pretty fun, nothing like stomping out a city:)

3. Distortion says:

I’d have to say my fav Kaiju power is in Godzilla vs. Hedorah where Godzilla flies backwards chasing after the other monster by blowing his fire breath down and at an angle.

I’m loving this game, despite the rough edges. It’s pretty much an auto-win gameplay idea for me.

4. Renegade says:

One thing I would love to see is a Rampage world tour type game built using the Red faction guerrilla engine.

5. ExitDose says:

Reminds me a bit of The Movie Monster Game from my childhood Commodore days.

6. Sin Vega says:

I’ve always wondered why there isn’t a kaiju-themed xcom-alike game. Seems pretty obvious, really.

• rabbit says:

There aren’t that many x-com alike games period

Of those that do exist, a smaller number are as good as they should be

7. ensor says:

Wow, someone finally made the game They Came From Hollywood was supposed to be!

For those who don’t have long, embittered memories, TCFH was supposed to be an isometric giant monster city-stomper, just like this, albeit with more of a 1950’s creature-feature feel to it. The project created a lot of buzz, as it had great ideas and really cool look and feel, from early design assets. It was supposed to be released in 2002…then 2003…then 2004…then indefinite, with promises that they were still working on it…until at long last, even the apologies dried up, and there’s been silence ever since.
    Strangely enough, their site is still up, and one can still see the game in a state of eternal promise:

link to theycamefromhollywood.com

8. bill says:

Kaiju in the Afternoon? ]

Sounds most civilised.

9. RegisteredUser says:

..you may also enjoy “King of the Monsters”.
    King of the Monsters is a series of video games created by SNK Corporation (the predecessor of the current SNK Playmore) for the Neo-Geo, featuring giant monsters reminiscent of kaiju and tokusatsu.

Was a bit bit of monster face bashing fun in the arcade, can now be played through emulators and generally makes you wonder why there aren’t more city destroying games.

There was also “The Movie Monster Game” for C64, which was incredibly fun for the time.

“A riff on the Rampage formula, The Movie Monster Game thrilled kaiju fans by letting them destroy cities as Godzilla. Yes, Epyx shelled out the rights for the notorious Tokyo stomper. Since the game’s other monsters include no-frills (and blatantly unlicensed) versions of The Blob, Mothra and The Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, it must have cost them a pretty penny to do so. Money well spent if you ask me.”

MAKE MORE GAMES ABOUT DESTROYING SHIT PLEASE! :)