Survival Horror Ashen Falls Is Pretty, Spooky In Concept

If there’s one genre I’ll always get overly excited for, be too keen to hope for the best in, and be disappointed by, it’s supernatural survival horror. Silent Hill has been rubbo for years, and hopes for Silent Hills and its first-person teaser PT are crushed after Konami confirmed they’ve cancelled the Guillermo del Toro and Hideo Kojima game (not that it was announced for PC). Quick, Alice: pin your hopes on something new! Look, look at Ashen Falls [Facebook page]!

The survival horror starring a teen girl in a spooky abandoned town is still quite firmly in pre-production, with only a load of concept art to show for itself, but what concept art!

Creator Gilles Ketting, a concept artist and illustrator who’s worked on series including Overlord and Total War, explains the setup by introducing its main character, Lucy ‘Haze’ Williams:

“It’s been more than a year after she lost her girlfriend in a fire and is taking the first steps to continue life without her. She feels that a part of herself died in that fire, she struggles with her own identity and place in the world. In an attempt to leave her comfort zone and follow her passion for photography she embarks on a trip with a group of urban explorers to Ashen Falls.”

Gosh, it sure would be awkward if this spooky town somehow turned out to reflect her psyche! Say, I wonder why the latest enemy concepts include a fireman (also, that cubist lady is amazing):

Also on the docket: spooky runes in spooky ruins:

It's a mystical shopping list really: spooky milk; haunted eggs...

Spooky cultists in spooky woods:

Dang goths!

And other fine things you’ll find in higher quality on Ketting’s site.

Yes, yes it’s all concept art for now, but these are my dreams we’re talking about, man. He says there’s more we haven’t seen, that they’ve been prototyping gameplay too, and teases more info is “coming soon” and yes, I would like to see that.

For now, perhaps I’ll fire up Deadly Premonition again, a survival horror which manages to be both deeply wonderful and hugely disappointing. But I’ve written about that before.

1. Kefren says:

Unfortunately, the fireman looks more comical with that big hat. “My first fireman costume. Ages 4-6.” Like Pyramid Pinhead.

Still, I love this kind of game when it is done well. (Especially if there is a first-person mode.)

2. Zallgrin says:

I want to believe Q_Q

But it’s way too early to tell whether it will be good or come out at all. Still, I wish the devs good luck!

3. Penguin_Factory says:

I LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

Okay Konami, I have it all sorted out. Just give these guys tons of money and publish the game as the next entry in the franchise. Silent Hill: Ashen Falls. No I don’t care that it’s not set in the same town, just fucking do it.

• Razumen says:

Gawd no, Konami can not be too far from this or any worthy project, and hopefully in the future (aka dreamworld) they’ll divest themselves of the SH IP and someone worthy will be able to continue the legacy.

4. Spacewalk says:

I knew the housing market in Sydney was bad but I wasn’t expecting this.

5. AbsoluteShower says:

“(not that it was announced for PC)”

You know, you COULD play on another format? *runs for cover*

• DanMan says:

Wait! Stop running! I want to give you some…. hugs!

Yeah. Hugs. That’s what it was. Hugs. What else, right?

6. theapeofnaples says:

the fireman and ‘hoodyman’ look a bit too ridiculous :/

7. MrBehemoth says:

I just posted on another page:
    ““Horror fans: you can stop mourning the cancellation of Silent Hills now.”
    No. No no no.
    After much initial disdain, I’m starting to understand why people like FNAF but it will never compensate for Silent Hills.”
    …. But this might…

8. Alex says:

Hmmmm… for some reason I’m getting the feeling that this concept is heavily inspired by Silent Hill… wonder why that could be…

9. Psychomorph says:

The hoody man and fire man made me laugh out loud. Is it a horror parody game?

• Shuck says:

And the fireman is ridiculous and the woman is a Silent Hills nurse-rip off. The monster design is not a strong point here. But I really like the rest of the concept art – those environments are absolutely fabulous.

10. MikhailG says:

Alright so we have:
    -Tragic past that isn’t cliche (hey its lesbians (extra points)) that serves as the ‘what haunts the main character’ and its a teenage character that seems to work.
    -Disturbing enemy characters (yes the fireman hat is a bit comical but its very sensible when put in the main protagonists context)
    -The concept art has atmosphere, (colours are a bit washed out, minus points)
    -Ashen falls cause you know, sort of a nice parallel name to silent hill without being silly like Hush Burrows.

I haven’t been hyped for a game this much, despite my inner cynic going ITS IN THE CONCEPT PHASE STOP BEING GIDDY.

On a semi related note: Fuck Konami. Its not like I cared much about the silent hill franchise anymore but now they are just stomping on the hurting corpse of a half dead bird now.

11. Darth Gangrel says:

What, are they making a Spaceballs game? Because that’s definitely Dark Helmet disguised as a fireman.

12. racccoon says:

Great artwork but its hard to see a facial expression.

13. Ichi_1 says:

I’d like to see more down the line but I REALLY don’t like the character designs. Hooded characters are the blandest of the bland, and that fireman’s hat is just silly looking. The female is reasonably interesting though.