Deadly Premonition Designer’s D4 Coming To PC

D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die is an episodic adventure directed by Hidetaka Suehiro, who you may know as SWERY, creator of Deadly Premonition, gaming’s very own Marmite. I hate Marmite and you can figure out how I feel about Deadly Premonition by reading my review.

Last time I read about D4, SWERY had mentioned poor sales and fans were trying to help with promotion. Exclusive to Xbox Uno, the game released without any fanfare and then withered on the vine. I remember thinking a PC port might help and now, here we are.

I first saw confirmation that the PC version was happening on Famitsu. That confirmation had been mashed through Google Translate, however, and while I enjoyed the sentiment, I couldn’t be sure I was interpreting the message correctly.

such community, I think more of the PC from a strong home-use game machine. In the sense that it sends towards the community, PC is suitable most. Because there was also echoed and I am allowed to the test at GDC, and is also one of the reasons that it was supposed to release a PC version this time.

Thankfully, SWERY took to Twitter to explain all a couple of hours later:

He even took time to discuss the port itself:

When it comes to the game itself, I can’t tell you a great deal. It’s a murder mystery with time travel. There are currently three episodes, making up “season one”. It’s possible that the creation of future seasons will now depend on PC sales. Here’s a trailer:

I trust that cleared things up for you. The Xbox release made use of Kinect and, from what I’ve read, it was one of the games to integrate gesture controls well. My attempts to understand the Famitsu translation lead me to believe that the PC release has been “renovated to play all the mouse about it”. No release date is given.

1. tobecooper says:

Awesome news. I love what I’ve seen of the game.
    Though, if the game didn’t sell well on Xbone, then they probably don’t have enough money to make this a good port…

2. golem09 says:

Concerning the controls, the Xbox version already supports controller only gameplay, so that shouldn’t be a problem.
    As a massive deadly premonition fan, this is really good news,I was always going for this to happen.

3. ZIGS says:

umm, this seems a bit too Japanese for my taste

4. SputnikSweetheart says:

Aww yiss!. I adored Deadly Premonition, even with all the jankiness, and was hoping D4 would make it to PC.
    I have no idea what is going on in the trailer, but i guess that could be a positive thing in a Swery game.

5. BTA says:

This game is excellent, and hopefully it gets the purchase it deserves once on PC. That being said, part of the fun comes from how it asks you to use the Kinect. It’ll still be nearly as good without it, but the Kinect is clearly the ideal way to play the game, so it is unfortunate that PC players will miss out on that.

6. Ejia says:

If Deadly Premonition is gaming’s Marmite, what is gaming’s Bovril? More importantly, what is gaming’s Nutella?

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

A PC-specific example doesn’t immediately come to mind but Mario Kart seems an apt subject for the Nutella metaphor.

7. KenTWOu says:

Watched his very amusing GDC speech – Designing for Empathy with Sensory Replication in D4. At 31:40 he showed a prototype of mouse based interface for D4.

8. DanMan says:

Let’s hope the port doesn’t suck technically. Again.

• Silent_Thunder says:

Deadly Premonitions port didn’t suck in the least bit. It ran just as poorly on every system it was put onto, including it’s original system. I wouldn’t say it was poorly optimized as much as I suspect they ran out of money long before they were able to even start optimizing.

• horrorgasm says:

The PC port didn’t even have controller support when it released and the community patched all the many problems way before the devs bothered to touch any of it. No, it was absolutely a shitty port on release. Whether that was “accidental” or not is irrelevant.

Harlander says:

“it’s not a bad port, just badly implemented in general” is not a defence that does anyone any favours

9. pilouuuu says:

I love Swery’s Engrish!

10. BigPrimeNumbers says:

Here’s hoping that this will allow for more content in this series for both the Xbox One and PC.

11. yhancik says:

And it’s obviously not related to Dreamcast’s D2

• malkav11 says:

No. Of course not. Really, I can’t see where you would get that idea.

(That really confused me too. But the guy behind D and D2, Kenji Eno, passed away some time ago, and it wasn’t exactly a chart topper of a franchise so it would have been odd to resurrect it. Not that D4 isn’t really frigging odd in its own right.)

12. vorador says:

Never tried it, but crossing fingers it will be as ridiculous as Deadly Premonition. Where the main character, an FBI agent, reads omens on his morning coffee and discusses them with his imaginary friend. And that’s only one example of the general weirdness in that game.

13. MarkB says:

Excellent, this was the one thing that I really wanted to play on the new Xbox. Hopefully this pulls in enough money for SWERY to finish the story.

14. gbrading says:

Make it a decent port and I’d play it. Make it a broken heap of garbage like Deadly Premonition was and I won’t.