It’s Rico Time: Just Cause 3’s Spectacular Reveal Trailer

Watching the “gameplay reveal” trailer for Just Cause 3 is like watching the ambitions of every guns, vehicles and explosions game made real. It’s the ludicrously overblown action blockbuster that Uncharted’s scripted events and cutscenes invoke. It’s Far Cry with the stabilisers taken off. GTA V with many of the best mods you can imagine included as standard. It has sunk its grapple hook into my heart.

Rewatching a second (then third and fourth time), I enjoyed spotting the grapple lines I’d missed the first time around, and I’m convinced that Rico is balancing on top of at least one aircraft in every scene.

Of the trailer, Avalanche say:

This footage is all actual gameplay. It was captured in-game using cinematic camera angles. It contains no cut scenes. Nothing was staged or scripted.

I like just about everything I’m seeing here but my favourite part might just be the car drifting through the sunflowers. Lovely. I’m even willing to ignore the silly pre-order exclusives. Except I haven’t ignored them at all, have I? I just pointed out how silly they are.

The game is “coming Holiday 2015”. There’s a UK Bank Holiday next Monday so let’s hope we can start pre-loading tonight. Surely the powers that be wouldn’t show us all of those fancy explosions and then make us wait until the end of the year to play?

If Just Cause 3 really is slated for release in the Thanksgiving period, Avalanche might be doing what retail analysts refer to as the “double-dip digital dalliance”. The studio also has a Mad Max game in the works, due at the beginning of September. It looks great, although now I can’t help but think it’s a grittier Just Cause with half of the colours missing.

When you’ve watched the trailer fifteen times, you could always entertain yourself by reading John’s letter to Avalanche, in which he says “Oi! Don’t let the game get in the way of the fun!”. I’m paraphrasing.

1. LionsPhil says:

Don’t fuck it up.

Don’t fuck it up.

Don’t fuck it up.

Pre-order now to secure the exclusive…

You gone done fucked it up.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Not really, 2 had pre-order bonuses and that turned out pretty darn fantastic.

• Kempston Wiggler says:

Aaaaarrggg hate preorder bonuses!

It’s trying to entice buyers into switching off their brains for the promise of extra shinies and punishes post-release purchasers for having the gall to be sensible about how they spend their money, either by simply denying them the extra content or charging extra for it. A practice that needs to die screaming in a fire, frankly.

• Kerbal_Rocketry says:

JC2’s preorder bonuses did become avaible as DLC sometime after Launch so it’s not too worrying.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, it’s another one for the “wait for GOTY edition” list, no matter how much of a blast it looks.

Publishers must surely be aware that their attempts to get ongoing money earlier are actually getting them less money, later, for some slice of gamers. I guess for all the vocal commenting, we’re still a fringe minority.

• Bugamn says:

I agree with you on those bonus, but I have found that often they are completely unnecessary. I played JC2 without any DLC and I didn’t feel that anything was missing. I bought Far Cry 2 GOTY and it came with the DLC, and I found that I stopped using it because it was too overpowered. Story DLCs are a more complicated subject.

• Legion23 says:

Yeah I really liked watching this trailer had a smile on my face and then: “Preorder”… That word ruined the enjoyment of the trailer for me.

• Xzi says:

If pre-order bonuses count as “fucking up,” then every AAA game for the last ten years has been fucked up. Do what everyone else does, ignore them and buy the game on sale.

• derbefrier says:

Or one could understand that preorder bonuses never add anything substantial to the game, are easilyy ignored and are pretty much a dumb reason not to buy a game you know you will enjoy. Or you could pretend DLC is the end of the world and literally worse than hitler but one seems a bit silly to me.

• socrate says:

yeah because complete indifference to a problem always fixed it…no wonder we have now people trying to make us buy MoD as community DLC these days…i swear these generation are either brain dead or useless..or both most often,so all they have to do is wait and slowly push this concept in on us slowly and we eventually accept everything as a thing that should and will happen..brilliant

Anyway while im not surprised at this take by square who are now known as the people who buy up IP and remake them with the same first game name then strap tons of dlc on them and then come to pc because their stupid console scheme failed horribly then whine even when the base game sold well but not enough in their greedy little eyes…this is still unacceptable and i was actually going to buy this at first but il take the third option and buy then the complete edition or wait till the game is 1$ on steam.

The thing that scared me also in this trailer apart from that dumb dlc pre-order thing is that the game doesn’t seem any different other then graphically…a sequel nowaday just seems to be there just for a new coat of paint for the new console which isn’t saying much from what i saw so far from these new gen frankenstein that are still just Pc in a small box for idiot that are too afraid of creating a gaming PC and come into our little land of freedom that is full of possibility’s well….seeing the recent stuff on Modding im not really sure anymore but w/e.

2. Valkyr says:

Magnificent.

3. hawken.grey says:

I think this looks EXACTLY like Just Cause 2. Better shaders, slightly higher resolution.

• Bishop149 says:

Well yes, but even if that’s the case (with a different map) I’d still buy it. because Just Cause 2 was an awesome game. They really don’t have to add much to a winning formula, such is how things are often screwed the hell up.
      Anyway there seems to be a: “Hang object from flying vehicle and use it as a giant wrecking ball” mechanic that I don’t recall being in Just Cause 2.

• Kollega says:

This mechanic actually did appear in Just Cause 2. It was one of the features of the double-grapple: you took a helicopter, a car, double-grappled them together, got the helicopter into the air, and used the car as an impromptu wrecking ball. I also tried that recently with a bell you can take from desert towers, but the bell was too small to damage anything.

• Mr. Mister says:

There were even two faction missions where you had to transport a big stone statue’s head this way; one with a truck/wheeltank and one via chopper. There was even an achievent for killing five or ten enemies total with something grappled to your vehicle, be it a statue’s head, another vehicle, a crate of rockets, or another dude (his death doesn’t count).

• hawken.grey says:

I agree, Just Cause 2 was a great game. I’m not sure that I want to play a higher res version of it, but I really enjoyed it just the same.

I had hoped with the sequel that they would make it a little less “arcade-y”. Far Cry 4, for example, had a lot of similar mechanics such as attacks on strongholds, etc. but they managed to make them less generic feeling than Just Cause 2.

• vlonk says:

Dynamic repositioning in a blink of an eye with the grappling hook+parachute never got old. In Farcry you are rather bound to the spot you approach a stronghold from. The little chopper is no comparison to being able to go airborne at any given moment. In JC2 you can reposition while lobbing a few grenades. You do not “need” to do it, but I liked to do it just because I could.

• onodera says:

I might be crazy, but I want some stealth in my Just Cause instead of endless throngs of soldiers and helicopters. I don’t want every takeover of a military base to be a frantic ziparound in search of that last box. Sometimes you want to be calm, clean and efficient.

• fish99 says:

It could have used more variety. An awful lot of the game was just blow up the red thing.

4. iainl says:

One of these days I’ll reinstall Just Cause 2 and actually get somewhere in it. Random explosions are brilliant, but there’s an awful game in there.

• LimEJET says:

While that is certainly subjective, I think you should at least play through the story if you want to comment on the quality of the game. It’s pretty short and it’s basically every low-brow 80’s action film rolled into one.

5. Cross says:

*Grumble grumble preorders grumble grumble.* Those have to be the prettiest explosions in any game ever, though. Very much looking forward to setting them off.

6. Kollega says:

I didn’t like the trailer. Not because the footage was bad, but because it was cut too rapidly. Analyzing it to see new gameplay features and new insane stunts possible in the game will be harder than it should be. It sure is pretty, though =P

And on the positive side, the intro scenes seem to imply that you can chase down a fighter plane with a wingsuit, so that’s at least one feature I wanted in the game confirmed.

• Servicemaster says:

I saw a massive train for a split second and now all I can think about is attaching aircraft to it.

7. hollowroom says:

Please sort out the controls. Remapping Just Cause 2 was a bit of a nightmare. Great game though.

• Faxanadu says:

Yes, dear God, please. Also the mouse lag was horrible without fixing your framerate somehow, downright unplayable. I didn’t really mind all the fixing because I knew I was going to get a great game, but this sorta stuff just kills it for people who just wanna give it a go.

Also.

MULTIPLAYERMULTIPLAYERMULTIPLAYERGIVEITTOMEEE…!

…sorry. Just… I have needs.

8. tonicer says:

Imagine this would be a PC only title!

Aaaah yeah i’m still dreaming about a world without consoles.

Every game would be awesome.

I’m gonna go and sacrifice some peasants to Yogsothoth or something to maybe get rid of all the video game consoles in the world.

You can all thank me later.

Harlander says:

… and as I saw the desperate gleam in the commenter’s eye as they gripped the hilt of their obsidian dagger, I whispered to myself, “My God. They’re serious.” What noisome forms from beyond the veil of reality, their shadows like writhing snakes cast by the unknowable light of hidden stars, had crept into their mind to plant this delusion, this insupportable conviction?

9. vlonk says:

Still gliding around Panau today.

Please don’t fuck this up! I want a new-gen Red Faction: Guerilla with increased mobility options.

Dynamic destruction of buildings, a derailing train, dynamic explosions, punshing a jet pilot out of his cockpit and a nice shouldered rocket launcher. This will make action hollywood cinema look really really old and stale.

Oh please do not fuck this up and keep the g-force defying derring-do with seemless transitions and grappling hook shenanigans.

10. Christo4 says:

I… never actually played JC 2

phuzz says:

It seems to be on sale for about 50p every other week on Steam, so it’s not like the expense is an excuse.

• rapchee says:

also, there’s a demo on the steam storepage, so even less excuses. it ran on the machine i had …. many years ago, so even less than less

11. derbefrier says:

Looks like so much fun. Cant. Wait for this

12. Kempston Wiggler says:

Is there anyone else here likes to play tourist in this game? It can be stunningly pretty. Simply travelling around the map is just so rewarding when the island looks as good as Panau does. I’m simply amazed by the draw distance in this game. Seems like you can see to infinity….

• Kollega says:

I do. As a matter of fact, my favourite moments in Just Cause 2 are probably not exciting car chases or huge explosions, but times when I bail out of my burning car/boat/plane/helicopter, stand up as it explodes in the distance, look around, and ask myself: “Where the hell am I?” The fact that you can have 200+ hours clocked in the game and still visit the places you haven’t visited before, all of them beautifully rendered, speaks to how awesome the game is.

• 4004 says:

Yeah, I am with you. And that is one of the reasons I expected (a bit) more from JC3, to be able to enjoy the lovely environment rendered and lighted better. This seems a repackaged jc2 slightly. Back to crashing onto the thunder island

13. The Sombrero Kid says:

omfg, Just ‘Cause 3 is gonna be amazin’

14. The First Door says:

Good gravy, I must have been one of the few people who disliked Just Cause 2. I just couldn’t get over quite how bad the vehicle handling and voice acting was. Plus, I found myself getting really bored with how repetitive the side missions were.

It was the game that made me actually get bored of explosions…

15. Phantom_Renegade says:

I am now firmly against any kind of trailer with the boom and drums and black screens interspersed with snippets of visuals. I’m sure JC3 is going to be good, but this trend needs to fucking end.

16. ffordesoon says:

It looks so stupid.

Brilliantly, gloriously, shamelessly stupid, like a thousand dumb action movies mashed together with a supercollider.

I want this dumb thing so much right now. Why more power-fantasy games don’t embrace their ludicrous nature to this degree, I’ll never understand.

17. Bluestormzion says:

Coming Holiday 2015? So, Cinco de Mayo? Father’s Day? Fourth of July? The Feast of Burgulus? Ramadan? Sukkoth? There’s lots of holidays out there, guys.

How about when we mean to say Christmas, we just say Christmas, okay? You’re not forcing anyone to kneel to Jesus to acknowledge that there is a day, on the calendar, CALLED Christmas.

• ZombieChocobo says:

Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Hanukkah. The five most popular Holidays in the US. Lumped in to three months right next to each other. Those other holidays aren’t Nationwide celebrations. They are on a much more individual level.

• Vandelay says:

Because not everyone celebrates Christmas and there are a lot of non-Christian religious events around that period. Although it is a bit strange that Americans seem to exclusively refer to it as Holiday period, it makes sense when you are promoting a global product (or just one that is targeting various communities,) that you don’t make any group feel excluded.

Or it could be “political correctness gone mad”, if you are that way inclined.

18. Klaxon Overdrive says:

I just realised this. I always thought ‘Just Cause’ meant the main character was doing what he was doing for good reasons.

But no. Why’d you tether that jet to that locomotive and crash them through a radio tower? Just ‘Cause.

I’m dumb.

• Valkyr says:

That’s what I realized too when the announcer said it in the trailer. It seemed like a deliberate answer to a nonplussed viewer.

“But… Why?!”
      “Just ‘Cause.”

• vlonk says:

“Just Cause” was also the codename for the american military/CIA intervention/Invasion of Panama in December 1989 to overthrow the military leader of the country: Manuel Noriega. ‘Tis seems to be a pretty acurate depiction of the games storyline. #worldpolice

19. ribby says:

0:53 is giddy making

20. Radiant says:

Huge shout out to Walker’s “casually walking away from an explosion in Just Cause” article.

PLEASE BE GOOD.

• Radiant says:

link to rockpapershotgun.com

MORE OF THIS KIND OF THING

• thedosbox says:

Yeah, I was thinking there weren’t enough “walking away from an explosion” shots in the trailer – until they sprung one on us just before the boat.

Here’s hoping they include an optional camera slo-mo mode to make taking those shots easier :D

• Urthman says:

Heh, watching this I realized that, in a 3rd person game that defaults to the protagonist running in you point the joystick regardless of where the camera is (as opposed to backpedaling), the “cool guy walks away from explosions without looking back” is what you get when the player is slack-jawed uncool-ogling the explosion as they move away from it.

• Urthman says:

Which, now that I think about it, is pretty much the same reason you see that in movies, too.

(Also that should read “running in the direction you point the joystick.” Thanks, spammers, for ruining edit windows.)

• LennyLeonardo says:

Yeah. Uncool guys look at cool guys not looking at explosions.

21. mpk says:

Hoping there’ll be a “PRESS TO WALK AWAY FROM EXPLOSION” button.

22. LennyLeonardo says:

gree.

BAAAARN.

cairbre says:

I liked JC2 a lot and am looking forward to this game. I hope the shooting mecanic is better or tighter it was the only part I didnt really like. Cant wait to read a hands on by RPS.

24. Slothy says:

Mute the sound and play “Money for nothing” by Dire Straits right when the trailer starts. There, fixed it.

Phasma Felis says:

If I wanted to play a Just Cause game on PC right now, should I start with 1 or 2?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Definitely 2. There’s no story to follow, and 1 will probably seem really primitive now and may put you off.