State Of Decay’s Remastered Year One Edition Released

I realise it’s somewhat passé to compare a game to Dark Souls but look, State of Decay [official site] really is reminding me of Dark Souls. No, no, this is nothing to do with difficulty or death or mystery or structure: it’s about revamp-o-rereleases.

Like Dark Souls II’s Scholar of the First Sin, State of Decay’s Year One Survival Edition is the base game and its DLC expanded and touched up a little for the new generation of consoles. Like SotFS, it comes to PC as a separate release rather than an upgrade. And like SotFS, it seems like a fine jumping-on point for new players but perhaps not worth buying again if you had the original.

State of Decay: Year One Survival Edition launched on Steam at the price of £22.99. It includes State of Decay plus its DLC expansions Breakdown and Lifeline, all tarted up a little with 1080p support, better lighting, textures and animation, tweaked combat, a few extra missions, weapons and vehicles, and other odds and ends. Ayup, that’ll probably make it the definitive version of State of Decay.

Whether it’s worth buying if you already played the original is another question. Undead Labs offer a 33% discount to owners of SoD’s Steam version, but are quite clear that this edition is intended for newcomers. Undead Labs community wrangler Sanya Weathers explains in a forum post:

“YOSE came into existence because our publisher wanted to bring the game to a brand new audience on their fancy new console. That’s… pretty much it, right there. Remember, we were a brand new studio when we dreamed up SOD, and the only way the game got made at all was that we sold the IP to the publisher. They own it, and this was something they wanted to do …

“YOSE has as much new content as it does (and the biggest discount we could negotiate) because we knew we’d have some repeat buyers and we wanted to show those players as much appreciation as possible. But see above – the intended audience was _new_ players. We appreciate, and are tremendously grateful for, any player who wants to buy the upgraded version. (It’s people like you that gave us the option of even HAVING the unannounced project, if you know what I mean.) But we do not, and never did, expect it.

“Is it worth your twenty dollars? (It’s 30 for new people, 20 for returning people, in US dollars.) I don’t know. I’m not you.”

Here’s the Xbox One version’s launch trailer:

1. balinor says:

No it isn’t worth any money to me. I refuse to pay for what is essentially a patch. Another developer that I wont buy from in future.

• Maxine says:

Yea, that looks like the worst kind of rip-off.

Been a nice game. Don’t make another.

• Shakes999 says:

I guess you missed the entire 3 paragraph response where he explained that the publisher forced them to do it but don’t let reading comprehension get in the way of being the first to vomit out a clichéd response

• balinor says:

No I didn’t miss it at all as there is nothing wrong with my reading comprehension. I do however believe that they are just following the party line. But I guess rather than look at alternate solutions it was easier for you to just be an ignorant prick.

• Rizlar says:

It sounds very much like the developers would prefer to give a better deal to owners of the game on PC. Even if you don’t believe it – that it’s the publishers you should be boycotting rather than the developers, the sentiment counts for something, right?

• Johnnyfivefingers says:

Wrong. You’ll actually be getting screwed if you already own the original plus the dlc’s. Why, because they stated they will no longer support those games and will only support this new remastered version. It isn’t worth $20 just for an update that made the game worse than it was before.

• Rizlar says:

What exactly do you think is wrong? Or was that a mis-reply?

• Johnnyfivefingers says:

That the pc owners of the game previously would be getting the deal. My other response explains why that isn’t the case. If this your first time buying it than sure, but not if I already own it.

• Rizlar says:

Ah, just to clarify I meant that the devs would prefer to offer a better deal than what is available, due to the publisher restricting the size of the discount for owners of the original.

• muppetts says:

Funny how you missed in the 3rd Paragraph that they were UNDER NO OBLIGATION TO CHARGE EXISTING OWNERS ANYTHING!

33% off my arse, 80% for people who enabled this dev to keep on working in the bloody 1st place!

• AlexClockwork says:

It doesn’t say anything of the sort. Please read again.

• FuriKuri says:

While this sort of opinion is somewhat understandable, I also find it quite short-sighted.

I honestly wish I could’ve paid for “patches” of many mid/late 90s games to see them updated in line with the march of performance power and new operating systems. So far the only one that’s really delivered on that front is Homeworld Remastered, which was stunning but could do with a few patches of its own.

That aside, perhaps it’s just because it’s a bit too ‘close’ to the release of State of Decay, a game which I completed and enjoyed over a year and a half ago (which is like a decade in CoD years). Perhaps if they’d left it a year or two longer it’d have been more palatable. Although I do have to wonder if they’d just stuck a “2” on the end of the title if people would be whining quite so much (probably not, it’s a lame trick I’ve seen work far too often).

I do not think the claim that this is a mere ripoff to be quite so clear cut. Now, it may well be that is exactly what it is, but that is down to how much of an additional experience it provides, and not your sense of entitlement. State of Decay was a reasonably solid and complete experience sold at a pretty reasonable price. The existence of this new version does not cheapen that experience one little bit.

• Bull0 says:

“It includes State of Decay plus its DLC expansions Breakdown and Lifeline, all tarted up a little with 1080p support, better lighting, textures and animation, tweaked combat, a few extra missions, weapons and vehicles, and other odds and ends.”

It’s not about “entitlement”, this is shady as fuck and a guaranteed way to alienate the biggest fans who’ve already bought the base game and the DLC to support the game.

• FuriKuri says:

I really can’t see it as anything other than entitlement. State of Decay was a decent game and fully playable. I fail to see how this version detracts from that. I mean, I got the game in some steam sale for tenner.

This statement covers about 80% of the sequels made these days. Y’know, the ones which cost like £45.

• Bull0 says:

Now you’re being ridiculous.

• Razumen says:

It’s just another way for Publishers to double dip in the market, rather than supporting a game they’ve already released-there’s no reason they couldn’t have added all of that to the original game, even as a paid patch.

• Dale Winton says:

simple solution here ,just don’t buy it

• Bull0 says:

Clearly I’m not going to, but I think it merits some discussion since it’s such an odd thing to be doing!

• RegisteredUser says:

Quite honestly, their “best version ever” endpoint is where PC games should start on a minimum level: Textures and visuals oriented around a 1080p platform.

Its basically a very late admission they didn’t bother making a port worth shit in the first place.

• Johnnyfivefingers says:

Sounds nice and neat, but the bugs that were there before this new ‘remastered’ version are still there. Zombies walking in through closed doors, windows, and through the floor. The full screen bug and quite a few more that popped up that made it run worse than it did before.. All they was slap some new paint on this version with a new character. Want to throw your money at them than more power to you, sheep.

• sebmojo says:

It’s a fantastic game, and I’ll almost certainly pick up the remastered version for a few buck when it’s on sale down the road. If you haven’t played it then the remastered version is a must-buy; it’s a great game.

• RegisteredUser says:

Yea they’re really just milking this thing for money after giving the PC community a really badly done port in terms of visuals, content options (backpacks => trucks still only per mods).
      I know that some people are really in love for this game, but its because there’s actually a really badly supplied core of actual survival games as opposed to “and then shoot some zombies as well”.
      A lot of the key concepts floating around State of Decay could make for a really good game, if just done with an orientation around a PC (more RAM, map size, population, visuals, better interface, more depth, etc).

The only good thing about the game is that it has fully moddable script files, so whatever annoys you, you can just change. But then you end up having spent more time (..and having fun incidentally..) mucking around with the files rather than the actual game.

So again: It seems like there are too many zombie games, but there actually aren’t too many GOOD zombie apocalypse games. Could someone maybe get started on that please?

• Baines says:

Square Enix did pretty much the same thing when they published Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition.

One could argue that Trendynet tried to do the same with Dungeon Defenders Eternity, which in a few ways was actually a downgrade over the original Dungeon Defenders.

Of course some times PC doesn’t get these kinds of upgraded versions in any fashion, and then you still end up with upset people, except they end up saying that they would have paid at least some amount of money for that upgrade.

2. Penguin_Factory says:

Never played this before, but I was always somewhat interested. I might check it out.

• dontnormally says:

According to all the commenters above you, you must be some sort of shill. /s

I’m on your page. Always wanted to give this a go, might now.

• Johnnyfivefingers says:

Open your eyes and read what they said. If you’ve never bought the game before then yes it’s a great deal and you should get it.

Now what they’re actually saying that is if you’ve already bought the game on PC than pass it up completely or wait until it’s 80% off sale because you’re not really getting anything for $20.

• cpt_freakout says:

Do it! It’s a very, very fun game. You’ll get some genuinely stressful moments while exploring and carrying around supplies, which in this day and age of a gazillion zombie titles really means something, I think.

3. Jalan says:

Would be interested if the discount to previous owners wasn’t time limited to the end of June this year. Guess I’ll be waiting for the eventual cheap sale a couple years down the road.

4. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I can’t remember, what with this being yet another zombie game, whether this is meant to be any good. Is it? Is this the singleplayer one with the permadeath and vehicles? Thoughts please

Mungrul says:

Yup, this is the single player one with permadeath and vehicles. Some nice base management too.
      It can get a bit repetitive, and it’s a shame the map’s not bigger and that it’s the only one, but it’s still a good romp.
      I could never be arsed with the game after finishing the story though. It all seemed too familiar.

• horrorgasm says:

You have more characters you can use though, so don’t think that’s it’s permadeath in the sense that you die once and the game is over. You can still play on with one of several other characters, but you’ll have to build their stats up again.

5. vorador says:

There’s no fucking excuse for this to not be a patch for the regular edition.

• Bull0 says:

Hear hear.

• horrorgasm says:

Well, yeah, there kinda is. People seem to forget that this was originally a console game. One for previous gen consoles no less. So what’s your suggestion there? Just tell the people who bought it first on xbox 360 and ps3, tough shit, we’re giving this free upgrade to people with PCs whose hardware can handle it, but you’re just out of luck? Wait, isn’t the early buyers/supporters being screwed what everyone is complaining about in the first place? How odd!

• Bull0 says:

For starters it was an early access game, implying future updates would be included. This is a bit like releasing something in early access, then arbitrarily calling it finished and releasing GOTY edition with more features in it and charging people again for it. In fact it’s not a bit like that, it’s exactly that. Why are people queueing up to defend this shit? Boggles the mind. Are we just that fucking under the thumb now that we’ll suffer stuff like this gladly?

• noodlecake says:

I disagree! I wouldn’t spend hundreds (possibly thousands) of hours updating a game years after release to just give people for free. Have you ever worked hundreds or thousands of hours for free before? I agree that it’s not worth buying again (so I won’t) but man… Game devs’ time is so undervalued by gamers these days.

• Seafort says:

Gamer’s money and support seems to be so undervalued by the devs these days.

They get to sell their games + DLC and then want more with a remastered version a year or 2 down the line just to make even more money from us.

It’s called greed. After what happened with this paid mods fiasco I think everyone is a little bit more wary of being nickel n dimed by all devs now. It’s about time too. Devs and publishers have been getting away with murder for far too long. It’s about time the customer stood up for themselves.

6. rexx.sabotage says:

Yup. Why I never buy games at launch.

This is gonna be an instabuy for me once it goes on sale.

7. NathanH says:

I don’t care about joining the “should be a free patch” discussion, but definitely the 33% discount is too little for previous owners who already have the DLC.

8. oceanboy86 says:

As an owner of State of Decay, I thought this was a stupid Idea. It’s ended up making a lot of sense from a company perspective, especially a “small” one like Undead Labs, free money for a reworked revamped version of the game. I believe what sets it apart is the DLC included in the package, that being said it would be cheaper for me to just buy both DLCs than to buy the game again even with the discount.
    Yes it should be cheaper, yes it could be a free patch, yes the discount should be more, but they aren’t going to do it.
    So I just have disapproval, but it doesn’t exactly make me hate the company, heck it makes me want to play the game some more.

• wu wei says:

It certainly confuses the hell out of me. By now, after it’s been featured in several Steam sales at low prices, who wouldn’t have played the original that wanted to?

Is it really a wise investment to rework and re-release a game that has already achieved a reasonable level of saturation?

• monkeighy says:

I think it is fairly obvious that this remaster was to bring the game to a new audience on Xbox One. Undead Labs have then decided to release it on Steam as well so that anyone who hasn’t played it yet can buy the updated version.

I’m not sure why people attribute developers decisions to greed and malice when they are just making basic business and marketing decisions.

• Razumen says:

The argument that it’s meant to introduce the game to the XBone is meaningless, it’s not like they didn’t use the original game as a base for this, there’s no reason they couldn’t have updated the base game at a much more reasonable price.

• Orageon says:

Don’t call it free money if you also write that it is a remastered/reworked version. This is an oxymoron. You think remastering / reworking a game is something that happen on its own ? We can of course shake a fist at what seems like a cash grab but it is no free money. They worked on that remastered version, and now they sell it.
      As someone who never touched State of Decay, it is targeted at people like me and I could be interested.

I understand that this is not very tempting for people who already owned the game. But what’s the big deal ? so many games out there, and you already had some good fun on that one. Just pass it up and move on to another good game. 7days to die, maybe ?

9. Tayh says:

Isn’t this the game that runs in real-time, meaning if you take a break from the game, all your hard-earned and precious resources will be gone the next time you load the game?

• tobecooper says:

Yeah, and some of your characters may end up dead too.
      Apparently, they fixed this in the Year One Remastered.

(The ‘old’ version can be fixed, too, with mods.)

• sebmojo says:

No, the real time thing won’t kill your characters and the resource drain is capped at (iirc) a few days. It’s called State of Decay, not State of Everything’s Fine.

• Tayh says:

That doesn’t make it any more fun to lose 80% of your resources between each play session.

• wraithgr says:

This is one of those mechanics that sound really cool on paper, but then you realize most people have obligations beyond a single game and scrap it.

Or not, you know, and someone has to make a mod to make your game playable by people with a full time job…

10. Legion23 says:

I thought a long time if I should buy this or not owning the old version, did some research and decided to buy it in the end. And for me almost surprisingly yes it was worth buying: There is a lot of new little things added which improves the whole thing. For example: New cars, new mods, the new drop mission. The Sandbox mode alone updated would have been enough for me for the replayability. Personally I will get more enjoyment out of this than for example Human Revolution Directors Cut or Left 4 Dead 2, which I both regret buying.

11. suibhne says:

I bought the original after reading so much praise for it around these parts, and I bounced right off it. Animations and overall presentation are awful, controls are terrible, interface is worse, and it feels like nothing so much as a crude mod. I don’t get it.

12. Thirdrail says:

I loved the original game and the Breakdown DLC was fun. The second DLC was kind of terrible, but I was still happy to be supporting the game’s future. After that, this HD mod being $20 is such a slap in the face. I hope Undead Labs goes out of business, and they all end up working on Kardashian related phone games for the rest of their lives.

• hawken.grey says:

Woah, HARSH! But fair.

Harsh but fair, sir.

Harlander says:

It’s not fair.

Kardashian phone games! Have some goddamn sense of proportion, won’t you.

13. hawken.grey says:

I am pretty disappointed by this also. It would have been nice if it had been offered as an upgrade as well, for current owners of the game. It’s a bit silly also, because I can’t imagine many people who have already played it would buy it again, but they likely would buy an upgrade at half the price.

14. Seafort says:

If this was CD Projekt RED behind the game it would have been a free patch for everyone no questions asked but it’s Microsoft publishing so what do you expect? They monetise anything and everything they can to get a quick buck.

I’m an owner of the original game + DLCs and I won’t be buying this patched version of the game. The original has already been abandoned for this new release.

This new version is really for new players to the game only. The people that supported them in Early Access it seems can frak right off for all they care.

15. Politik says:

I owned the original on Xbox 360 and was more than happy to pay out for the Xbox One version of the game complete with DLC that I didn’t play the first time around. £13.99 with discount isn’t bad value for the 20+ hours (or more!) I’ll probably put into this. If you don’t want to buy it, don’t buy it!

zaphod6502 says:

Love the game and bought the remastered edition. Worth it to support the developer and $20-$30 is spare change for me anyway.

17. ArtlessViolence says:

I wonder how many people complaining about this have turned around and brought digitally remastered movies like Star wars and the like on different media.