Total War: Attila Assembly Kit Mod Tools Released

First things first: make a map of your workplace.

Let’s play a guessing game: what sort of mods will we see for Total War: Attila [official site] now its official mod tools are out? Game of Thrones, that seems an obvious world to bosh into a medieval strategy game. Probably Warhammer Fantasy, I’d imagine, even though Total War: Total Warhammer – War Tote is now official. All sorts of rebalancing and tweaking and prettifying and historical doodads too, I’m sure.

Total War devs The Creative Assembly released Attila’s Assembly Kit yesterday, which can make all sorts of mods and comes with Steam Workshop support.

If you have Twatilla (a nickname I came by innocently, I assure you), you can find the beta tools in the Tools section of your Steam Library. They’re mostly the same as previous Total War mod kits, with tools named after men (DaVE, BOB, Ted, and Terry) that let folks change the game’s database, textures, animations, models, battlefields, and campaign map.

TCA do note, though, that “Unlike previous Assembly Kits, Terry now grants access to Terrain Raw Data, which means modders can determine which battle maps load in for specific campaign map locations. Go mod those cities!”

If you fancy making your own mods, the Total War wiki has brief introductions to how all the tools work. If you want to see moving pictures, here, a brief overview of the tookit:

1. Orija says:

Ones that make the game less execrable, I suppose.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Going to have to disagree with you on that one. I’m finding it really fun, and a big step up from Rome 2. There’s a lot of small improvements that add up, especially increased unit variety which (especially in the early game) goes a heck of a long way.

• SuicideKing says:

You’re suggesting I forgive them for Rome II and give them some more of money?!

• SuicideKing says:

*my money.

Damn it, you missing edit button. :(

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Dunno. Maybe? As I say I think it’s a fun game, and worth nabbing in a sale if you like the series. But that’s just me, my having no buyer’s regret like I did with Rome 2 doesn’t mean others won’t.

• Orija says:

I am sure you’d agree that being better than Rome 2 isn’t much of an achievement.

2. Junkenstein says:

Is this the first time they’ve done this recently? Does it mean we’re going to eventually see the same kinds of mods Medieval 2 got in the new engine?

• frightlever says:

Here’s hoping.

• BTAxis says:

Probably not. I’ve seen comments over on the twcenter forums saying the world map can’t be edited in any significant way due to the way it ties in with the campaign code. So we probably won’t see anything as ambitious as Third Age.

3. Firkragg says:

What I really hope will come of this, besides fixes and tweaks to further enhance gameplay, is a city battlemap pack. The cities in Attila are a real step up from Romes, with real difference in layout but it still becomes boring attacking/defending the same cities again and again. Some more difference could really spice things up. The dream would be to eventually have every city on the campaign map modded with their own unique battle map, though this would certainly be far in the future if anyone takes on such a grand project.
    One can dream.

4. Machinations says:

The question is, how long until CA wants some of those steam mod ducats?

• Cederic says:

Have you read their EULA?

To the extent required by law, with respect to any New Materials you create, you automatically grant to SEGA the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sub-licensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way SEGA, or its respective designee(s), sees fit.

So they’ve already claimed any and all ducats ever viable on anything you do. 45%? They want it all.

5. Chiron says:

Gah, nearly enough to make me buy the game.

I’ll probably just wait for the Christmas Sale still though, after throwing my money at Rome 2 I don’t want to risk more on Atilla.

• Thurgret says:

Attila’s probably my favourite game in the series.

You know, if a one line opinion of the game helps in the slightest. Otherwise, do browse round a bit for points of view. I don’t care for their DLC shenanigans, but the game feels complete without it. Once you dodge that, and ignore the people just hating on CA for the sake of it, you might find some intelligent assessment of it.