TIE Fighter & X-Wing Collector’s Editions Now On GOG

Don't you even dare tell me this screenshot is from a different version.

Star Wars versions are a serious concern to fanatics. Really you should watch the LaserDisc versions of the original trilogy, so I hear. The same goes for versions with certain Star Wars games. It was nice that GOG dug up X-Wing and TIE Fighter, and nicer that they included the original floppy disc versions as well as their 1998 revisions, but what about the CD-ROM versions from 1994 and 1995? According to Those Who Know, those are the best versions of the two space sims.

GOG have rummaged around again, and dug them up yesterday. If you own X-Wing or TIE on GOG, you’ll now find you have their Collector’s Edition versions too. May April 29th be with you.

The X-Wing Collector’s Edition brings it over to TIE Fighter’s newer engine, with fancier graphics, a little redesigning, extra missions, and voiceovers. TIE Fighter’s CE brought more voiceovers, and bumped the resolution from 320×200 to 640×480. Both came with their expansions too. What makes these versions better than the 3D-accelerated versions of 1998’s X-Wing Collector Series? Well, the CE used LucasArts’ lovely dynamic music system iMUSE, making the soundtrack respond to in-game events, while the ’98 versions looped plain old recorded scores. The mid-nineties versions looked a bit cleaner too.

This being Star Wars, I’m certain I have made a minor mistake with those details and someone will correct me with disproportionate blind screaming fury.

To mark these new additions, GOG are holding a big Star Wars fly ’em up bundle sale, or have knocked $1 off their individual prices if you want to buy them seperately.

TIE Fighter and X-Wing also launched on Steam this week but only with the 1993/1994 and 1998 versions. Psssh! Amateurs.

From this site

1. Artist says:

The world urgently needs a Tie Figther HD Edition!

distantlurker says:

Seconded.

Now that’s settled, somebody get on that please. Seeing as Alice has spent all afternoon surfing the net pretending to be researching edition variances, I vote she’s up.

*runs away* :P

• Nasarius says:

Nobody owns joysticks anymore. I’d never bought a USB one until the T-16000M I got a few months ago to play the re-released TIE Fighter.

If you want to make a game with a huge license like Star Wars, it has to be mass market and cross-platform. That means gamepads, and that means Rogue Squadron is the best we’re gonna get. That would at least be better than the mobile phone Star Wars garbage we’ve seen recently.

• SanguineAngel says:

I do!

• oohshiny says:

Though now a lot of people own joysticks again because Elite Dangerous / Star Citizen use them.

The (new) Battlefront had the potential to be “it” but of course EA just see it as “Battlefield Star Wars”, so of course they will screw it up. (Though “Battlefield Star Wars” will probably keep enough people just happy enough to score EA billions of dollars, which is all they care about.)

Battlefront 2 was pretty good, you didn’t have seamless jumps from FPS/lightsabers to starfighters (here’s hoping for the new one!) but it basically flew with FPS controls (keyboard and mouse, no idea about joystick or gamepad).

• Cei says:

I own three?

• Bluestormzion says:

If they ever made a proper Tie Fighter 2, or even that HD remake we want, people would BUY sticks, man.

And Rogue Squadron wasn’t bad, it was just a different sort of game.

• Farsi Murdle says:

There’s absolutely no reason you couldn’t make a proper X-Wing/TIE space sim for a gamepad. They have analog sticks. There’s a space fighter game in development called Enemy Starfighter, and (from memory) the developer said he usually uses a gamepad to play. Elite Dangerous is coming out on Xbox One.

It’s nothing but Lucasarts’ thickheadedness that’s responsible for the dearth of Star Wars space sims over the last 15 years.

• Unclepauly says:

“nobody own them” That’s weird because I went to buy one a couple months ago and it was sold out due to everyone buying them.

• HidingCat says:

I remember a small bump in local joystick sales when Battlefield 2 was released. So, make the game people want to play, and they’ll buy the hardware. A decent stick isn’t expensive anyway.

• SuicideKing says:

I do too!

Harlander says:

Those who enjoyed Tie Fighter should, have they not already, check out this awesome fan animation.

3. snowgim says:

Thanks for the heads up! I was about to buy these on steam and had no idea they were different versions. GOG it is!

• Runty McTall says:

I’m a huge fan of Steam but to be honest if you have a choice for an old game between them and GOG, you should probably always choose GOG (even if there’s a big price advantage for Steam).

They are much more scrupulous about getting everything compatible with modern OSs, everything comes without an DRM and you also tend to get nice bonuses like soundtracks, manuals, artwork and so on. For DOS or pre-Windows XP era games, in my experience, you really will save yourself lots of hassle going with GOG over Steam.

• Runty McTall says:

Meticulous would’ve probably been a better word than scrupulous but ho hum.

4. iainl says:

Say I get around to buying a USB flight stick to use with Elite Dangerous. And say I have any time to play another game once I do so. Would it work with these? I remember having all sorts of trouble getting sticks working back in the day, and now all the technology’s changed.

• Lodin says:

I only tried it with Tie Fighter but most of the buttons and stuff were mappable with my Saitek X52. I still had to use the keyboard for some bits but it was otherwise fine.

• iainl says:

Thanks – I’ll take the plunge, then!

DelrueOfDetroit says:

The X52/Pro cites X-Wing and TIE-Fighter as compatible games right on their website.

• Unclepauly says:

idk I tried to play wing commander and tie fighter with my 3dpro and the ship just barrel rolled to infinity.

5. Kempston Wiggler says:

Let me reverse iainl’s question: is it worth buying these WITHOUT sticks? Any gamepad support?

• Det. Bullock says:

The DOS versions can be played with a keyboard + mouse or keyboard only.
      The windows versions (and the win only sequels) require any kind of game peripherals, so as long as you have any gamepad or joystick you should be fine, just remeber to map the controls in the option screen.

• richard says:

Kempston Wiggler does not have a joystick?!

I played the original release with mouse + kb when it came out, and no idea how the mouse survived it. I tried it again last night and even with a much higher sensitivity mouse: no thanks.

Anyway, I just tried my PS3 controller with the CD edition of X-wing and it works really well out of the box. Time to pull the trigger, Kempston. :)

• Kempston Wiggler says:

He only owns a Kempston, since his awesome Cyborg flight stick died a death a few years back and was never replaced due to lack of need for one. :(

Might have a go with the Xbox Windows pad.

• HidingCat says:

No, absolutely not. Sticks or bust!

6. SanguineAngel says:

I am so torn on this bundle. On the one hand, the x-wing/Tie fighter games are timelessly excellent and fill my heart with the purest joy. On the other hand – when am I going to have time to play them?

• Farsi Murdle says:

Most mission only take maybe 15 minutes to complete. They’re more suitable for the time-conscious than just about anything else.

7. Laurentius says:

Tie Fighter Collector’s Edition is still absolutlely perfect, played last November. Actually it’s better looking that mouldy textured version imo. But the dynamic music ! Wow, just download general midi driver for Dosbox, Bassmidi and some nice midi sound fonts and it will be just phenomenal expereince.

• Didero says:

Ooh, could you be a bit more specific? I’d like to get the best music quality possible from Dosbox, but I don’t know too much about it.

• Laurentius says:

Here is the stuff:

link to kode54.net

Here is walkthrough plus list of freeware soundfonts:

link to jasonwilliams400com.startlogic.com

link to un4seen.com

As yuo can see soundfonts can range from 1MB to over 1GB, I go for some middle roads and use some 40 Mb or something , it sounds phenomenal in Tie Fighter.

• Laurentius says:

Also after instailling this driver in Windows it’s time for Dosbox command mixer/listmidi – list installed midi devices, ie. 0 ‘Bassmididriver Port A” then midi line in Dosbox config should be like this :

mididevice=default
        midiconfig=0

then in Tie Fighter install program pick general MIDI as music output and voilà.

8. SanguineAngel says:

Hrm, these games also remind me that I would love it if the [Star Wars] universe as a whole really sidelined the focus on the Force again. It is one of the least interesting aspects of and for me the embodiment of star wars is morally ambiguous smugglers, spunky rebels, bounty hunters and basically every other aspect of the universe described and implied in the original three films. When did it all become about the force?

9. dfuse says:

Tie Fighter is in my top 10 games ever, but I’ve learned over the years not to fall for the nostalgia and I have only to remember the escort missions to prevent me from buying it again. What I am going to do is lookup the intro on youtube..”the empire is on the verge of success”

10. Iskhiaro says:

Fell in love with this Tie Fighter with my CD copy of the collectors edition and was so sad when the disk got broken. Happy that the best version is now available on GOG.com

11. Kerr Avon says:

Wait, you didn’t know about the remastered midi soundtrack? A couple of musicians did a fantastic job, for example this guy here: link to soundcloud.com and here: link to youtube.com but what I really want to know is, did Lieutenant Gruber from ‘Allo ‘Allo and Ravon from Genesis of the Daleks ever actually play long sessions of TIE Fighter himself and/or ever finish the game to completion? o.O

12. TWChristine says:

I tried Rebel Assault at an after school “hangout” place, and eventhough I only played it for a few minutes I thought it was great. A few years later I found RA2 and grabbed it, and it was awesome! I’ve tried it once or twice since, and (as some have pointed out elsewhere) the controls are finicky and jumpy (they were back then too, just now more so) but it was still a lot of fun.

13. Gomisan says:

Can anyone else confirm that these editions are actually in their GOG account?

I just checked, as I had previously bought both games on GOG and I have the 93/98 and 94/98 versions, but not the Collectors editions.

GOG specifically state that they are free for existing owners: “The Collector’s CD-ROM upgrade for Star Wars X-Wing and Star Wars TIE-Fighter is free for everyone who already owns the games, and becomes a permanent new part of the package – exclusively on GOG.com! The launch discounts will last until Thursday, May 7, 6:59 AM GMT. “

• Gomisan says:

oops, I really should dig deeper before posting. GOG have an account refresh tool that auto-magically made the games appear!

link to gog.com