Watch This Space: Watch Dogs 2 May Be In The Works

In news that surprises exactly no one, a sequel to Watch Dogs [official website] appears to be in the works. This comes according to some poor guy’s LinkedIn page that’s been sniffed out by VideoGamer.com.

Julien Risse is a senior gameplay designer at Ubisoft, whose past credits include the original Watch Dogs and its DLC Bad Blood, but the stand out oddity is his mention of an unannounced sequel for the series. He’s since deleted it from his credits but it lives on forever in screencap form. Somewhere, with knuckles between teeth, Julien Risse silently screams.

There’ve been rumblings of a Watch Dogs sequel since last year when Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot teased the possibility.

“We knew it would be polarising,” Guillemot told CVG in an interview (the original interview been lost in the aether since the website’s sad demise, but is helpfully quoted throughout here.) When asked about the game’s ‘fairly generic characters,’ Guillemot said: “Some people loved the characters and some didn’t. It was difficult to please everybody with that character. Now, having seen the reaction, we know what we will do next to improve that.”

Guillemot added that they’ll potentially drop the original Watch Dogs protagonist Aiden Pearce in an attempt to “extend diversity,” breaking the hearts of millions of fans of giant weird jackets everywhere.

I’ve reached out to Ubisoft for any comment.

1. megazver says:

I hope they retcon Not-Lisbeth-Salander into not dying. They really fucked up there, I thought. She wasn’t original, but she was the most tolerable part of the story.

• pepperfez says:

Female non-love-interest surviving the story? Preposterous!

• Luciferous says:

I also wish to see Not-Lisbeth live again, killing off the only interesting (if not original) character in the game was a dickish move.

Maybe the sequel will be from her perspective as she recovers from being a bit dead.

Harlander says:

I’d also accept playing from Jordi Chin’s perspective. He wasn’t an original character, but he was pretty fun, and his blithe amorality would help eliminate some of the original game’s ludonarrative dissonance

• dsch says:

I played through the campaign but I have no memory of that character dying.

• Applecrow says:

I think I played through the campaign, its hard to remember anything about this game.

Other than the month long wait for them to fix the Uplay bug with wouldn’t let you progress, or Ubisoft getting caught downgrading the graphics then patching it so you couldn’t use the community mod that fixed it.

2. Orija says:

I wonder if anyone even gives a shit about Watch Dogs at this point.

• AbsoluteShower says:

I was thinking the same. I guess the corporate minds feel the need to try rescue the franchise.

• virtualmatrix258 says:

pfft, what franchise? They only released the one mediocre game. After the horrible performance issues, dumbed down graphics and horrible support from ubisoft, I think they should just put their money towards AssCreed because they can’t even get that right at this point.

• AbsoluteShower says:

True, but it definitely had the waft of an ‘exciting new IP’ from the Marketing guff. That’s probably what they’re trying to salvage, rather than go back to the drawing board.

• anHorse says:

I care about the idea of Watch underscore Dogs, I like the concept of it; hell I even liked the location.

But the game itself was so dreary that I wouldn’t want to actually play a sequel unless they go back to the drawing board (which will not happen as it’s ubi).
      Even if they’d just ripped the gameplay out of Splinter Cell: Blacklist and stuck it in an open world I’d have been happy. The reality of the hacking aspect in combat/stealth was that it just added some fiddly autotargeting and button presses. Most of the time I just ended up accidentally deploying bollards in the middle of a gunfight

The notable low light for me was the sex slave level and it wasn’t even because of anything to do with the highly questionable setting. The gameplay consisted of the sort of tedious wave clearing that I’d thought we left behind after the PS2 era.

• HamsterExAstris says:

Assassin’s Creed II didn’t go all the way back to the drawing board, but it underwent a pretty significant revamp. Hopefully they’ll see the need for the same thing here.

• April March says:

If Watch_Dogs 2: Watch_Dogger~.dll is to Watch_Dogs as AssCreed 2 is to AssCreed Original it might raise me from my slab of triple A apathy.

The thing they did in AssCreed 2 that made it work (besides the subtitles) is noticing that parkour is the series’ driving stolen cars and designing accordingly. Watch_Dogs 2 will work if they realize its driving stolen cars is hacking, and not driving stolen cars (or shooting guyz).

basilisk says:

I do. The game had potential, even though it squandered lots of it. But it wasn’t bad and I always thought that if they managed to evolve it the same way AC morphed into AC2, it could eventually stand on the threshold of greatness. Or maybe not. But I’d like to see them give it another try.

JiminyJickers says:

I enjoyed the game and am looking forward to a sequel. I don’t understand why everyone hates it so. Sure the original concept made our imaginations unrealistically fly away with what the game could have been, but it was a fine and fun GTA-like game in its own right.

3. Oktober Storm says:

I got the impression this game did very poorly, so it’s kind of surprising that they’re doing a sequel. So obviously it sold well?

• heretic says:

Marketing wonders.

• Leonick says:

Watch_Dogs broke Ubisofts first day sales record, had the biggest launch of a new IP in the United Kingdom ever. Sold 4 million copies worldwide in the first week and 10 million by the end of 2014.

As far as reviews goes it’s just short of the metascores of the original Assassin’s Creed.

We all know Ubisoft is quite happy with franchise games, and for quite a good reason too. The original game is expensive to make, it’s where you make the engine and world-building. For sequels there’s less of that, less marketing too probably, in short, a larger portion of your revenue is actual profits…

I’m not sure why anyone would be surprised that a new Watch_Dogs game is coming.

4. SMGreer says:

Take out combat, emphasize hacking/stealth and for the love of Moses come up with at least a tolerably engaging plot/protagonist and we might yet see something really special come out of this botched first effort. None of which will happen of course.

I’m not sure if it was a failure due the designers or the restraints of doing AAA under Ubisoft (or both) but with the resources available to the game Watch Dogs really should have been way more interesting.

5. GameCat says:

Press V to vault the grave of your relative.

6. Ejia says:

Only if it’s Watch_Dogs: Blood Dragon, where you do everything through a command line on a green CRT.

Actually, maybe they should Blood Dragon all the things. Child of Light: Blood Dragon. Grow Home: Blood Dragon.

7. Flea says:

It’s too bad the game didn’t live up to the hype it created at E3. I really don’t know where it went wrong and who came to all those wrong decisions that ultimately buried the game, but it’s a shame. After some terrible post launch reviews I gave up on buying it and got it just recently on a sale. I modded it, fixed the graphics and spent around 40 hours roaming the streets of Chicago. I still thought there was a good game hidden in there somewhere, there were bright moments and things I liked. Then GTA 5 came out and showed what Watch_Dogs should have been like…

8. PandaPants says:

*Big inhale* NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Not another mediocre AAA game to grace our world.

9. noodlecake says:

Not have generic characters next time?

JiminyJickers says:

That applies to many many games though. GTA V is critically acclaimed and the characters are as generic and cliche as they come.

10. noodlecake says:

I don’t know why anybody bothers with these pen world city games. They all just end up being poor man’s GTA. Sleeping Dogs had a decent enough melee combat system (but god awful driving and terrible writing), Saint’s Row has ludicrously generic gameplay although mixing in the superpowers made 4 stand out a little bit, but it still paled next to GTA IV or V in every single way including the strength of the writing and the characters. Sleeping Dogs was actually one of the poorer efforts by other companies. Please don’t resurrect it.

• April March says:

Hahahahaha, you’re hilarious! Sleeping Dogs has worse writing than GTA’s… Saints’ Row’s gameplay pales next to GTA’s… Are you here every week?

• Vandelay says:

Also, the Saint’s Row IV’s superpowers improved the gameplay? I thought general consensus was that it made the game far more repetitive and dull, as if you were playing the game in permanent God mode.

• TheMightyEthan says:

Oh thank the Gods, I thought I was the only person who thought Saints Row IV was boring and lame. And I loved SR3.

• Raoul Duke says:

Sleeping Dogs had a vastly better storyline than GTA, and was all around a much more interesting game.

Qazinsky says:

I keep buying GTA-likes because I have played GTA, I like GTA (except GTA IV, boring game, Saints Row 2 and 3 are superior) and I want more games like GTA that I haven’t played. New GTA-like game is better than playing through the same GTA game again.

11. Kaspian says:

I’m at a point where I won’t even touch a Ubisoft game on PC. Any I’ve ever been remotely interested in have been released a buggy mess, not to mention UPlay has had its fair share of security issues over the years. Just can’t be bothered with their stuff given the company’s lackluster track record.

12. Spacewalk says:

I’d rather be Sleeping.

13. The_Ramen_Within says:

And in case you were wondering, yes, the game STILL stutters periodically when traveling fast, they never fixed it.

14. Myrdinn says:

They should really drop this franchise and start a new ‘exciting triple A’ one. One that isn’t directly build from the AC framework and doesn’t bore the tears out of someone who plays/played previous Ubi games. Maybe make a race/RTS hybrid game featuring drugs, diva’s and dinosaurs.