Electric Dreams: Technobabylon Is Blade Runner Meets Police Quest

Like many of the liberal college WASPs of my generation I am a dedicated and loyal follower of cyberpunk. First, a fact: The birth place of cyberpunk is my birth place too, which can only be a sign of my deep allegiance to West Coast Neuromancy. So full of love am I, sometimes I’ll find myself a big metallic collander to put over my head like a helmet and pretend the kitchen is losing its air reserves because it’s sort of like being in the future.

So if you’re of that ilk, I reckon you’ll like this too: Technobabylon [official site], it’s a little cyberpunk adventure game in the vein of Westwood Studio’s Blade Runner. In fact it’s a whole lot like Westwood’s Blade Runner, right down to a few of the animation eccentricities. And now it has a release date.

In fact, the guys at publishers Wadjet Eye Games are calling it “Blade Runner meets Police Quest.” Technobabylon, they write, “sets you loose in a world where ‘wetware’ wires people directly to the web, where the cerebral online Trance has replaced almost any need for human interaction, where the city’s omnipresent AI, Central, has eyes on everyone and everything — a world that could someday be ours.”

Made by Technocrat Games, the game is coming to PC on May 21st. It will be available from the official website, Steam and GOG for $14.99.

ErraticGamer says:

The voice acting seems a bit dodgy but the concept looks great. Interested.

2. His Divine Shadow says:

Looks pretty interesting. I wish the name (and some of the lines in the trailer for that matter) was less ham-fisted though.

3. LionsPhil says:

How can they put up a quote about good writing with a straight face while the voice clips chew out that corny, cliched dreck?

Looks vaguely Beneath a Steel Sky-y, though, and that’s an upside.

4. aratuk says:

Not sure what cyberpunk appreciation has to do particularly with being a WASP… as genres go it seems fairly culturally agnostic, or perhaps even “inclusive” …but, whatever! That game does look good.

• hypocritelecteur says:

I think you missed the point there–punk aesthetic and attitude are often adopted in reactionary defiance to traditional world views.

• aratuk says:

No, I understand that. It just struck me as kind of an odd, misplaced invocation of cultural/ethnic identity, but it’s no big deal. I think I see what the writer was trying to do.

• Unclepauly says:

I felt the same as you. I thought it was some wierd hipster in joke but nope, it’s exactly what the text says lol.

5. slerbal says:

Interested! though wow the voice addicting and line delivery was really, really bad. I hope there is an OST released as I still listen to the one from Primordia

• tomimt says:

Voice acting has never really been the strongest aspect of Wadjet Eye games. They’re passable at best, but at the same time, I have heard much worse on indie games as well.

• slerbal says:

Oh I agree, hence why I am still interested. All the other features of Primordia,Gemini Rue and Resonance were enough to win me over and I generally have not been an adventure game fan (other than Beneath a Steel Sky). The music, art style and ideas were enough to carry them. I will most likely pick this up.

However, the voice acting is really wooden and it would be great if Wadjet were able to evolve that side of things over time – good line delivery isn’t something that necessarily costs any more money (I realise they are on tight budgets) it just requires vocal direction (I know because it is a skill I have).

6. Kempston Wiggler says:

Voice-acting isn’t that bad, folks….c’mon….

Really looking forward to this. Just finished Primorida this week and have been really jonesing for another slick, smart adventure to get my teeth into.

Do any other companies still make games like this?

• Unclepauly says:

Well, that girl doesn’t fit in at all. Her voice is the exact opposite of someone who is living a harsh reality like that, she sounds like a valley girl.

• Unclepauly says:

“You’re going to regret crossing me”. Lol is she going to sick Foofy the lap dog on me?

• Hedgeclipper says:

Cyber-Foofy with the laser eye – you’ll be like totally sorry

Phasma Felis says:

The voice-acting isn’t terrible by small-studio standards, but for a story-driven genre like this, it’s not good enough.

And it seems like they’ve missed the point of dropping an assortment voiceover lines into the trailer. Few of those lines tell me anything interesting, raise any interesting questions, or make me want to know more about the speaker. They could have been plucked from any random action/thriller.

Harlander says:

This kind of thing has an alarming ability to trip my “buy this” reflex without further consideration…

8. PancakeWizard says:

You could’ve just said ‘Wadjet Eye’ and ‘Cyberpunk’ and I would’ve been heading off to buy it.

9. Delicieuxz says:

Trailer VO sounds whiny and emo.

10. Harrington says:

I’ve got copies of everything that Wadjet Eye’s ever done, but while their in-house stuff is reliably great, the titles they’ve merely produced have been more varied. I’ve got my fingers crossed that this one falls in Resonance territory.